• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black High School Students Visiting Texas A&M University Harassed, Told to Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And I thought my college was troubled when on a tour you would often run into people still quite drunk or obviously coming home from a one night stand.

Kick them out.

Take the race out of it, Like everyone loves to say!

These students turned away prospective students from enrolling. Thats $$$ for the university. In short, these students were fucking with school money.

Put the race back in it.

Who the fuck goes to high schoolers as a college student and tosses out racial slurs while they're on a campus tour?

Simply because you're a moron you should be expelled.

A university is an institution that provides an education. It's a good place to teach someone to behave (because obviously their parents or community didn't do a great job). What will expelling them do? I'd wager they go back to where they observed being a shithead is acceptable. Give them boundaries and they can either fail or succeed, at least the opportunity to learn, grow, and do better is there.

Two Words

A university is an institution that provides an education. It's a good place to teach someone to behave (because obviously their parents or community didn't do a great job). What will expelling them do? I'd wager they go back to where they observed being a shithead is acceptable. Give them boundaries and they can either fail or succeed, at least the opportunity to learn, grow, and do better is there.

They're a plague. They were actively trying to discourage black students from attending that school. That harm is much worse and should be avoided first and foremost.

Jospina

Banned
I've been to Texas en route to other states and made stops along the way for food and hotels and such and it's always really weird to me how in 2016 people still have southern accents from Gone with the wind. New Yorkers/Californians in 2016 don't sound like New Yorkers/Californians from the 1940s. It kind of lines up with the backwardness the state is known for, 80 damn years and still the same accent? No progress at all?

The Lamp

Top 10 engineering schools recently.

And we have the largest engineering career fair in the nation. We're also well known for business.

But anyway...yeah for a public school it's great.

I've been to Texas en route to other states and made stops along the way for food and hotels and such and it's always really weird to me how in 2016 people still have southern accents from Gone with the wind. New Yorkers/Californians in 2016 don't sound like New Yorkers/Californians from the 1940s. It kind of lines up with the backwardness the state is known for, 80 damn years and still the same accent? No progress at all?

Lol are you kidding me?

I've lived in Texas most of my life and the accents greatly vary from person to person.

Pizoxuat

???????????

The stereotypical Texas accent is not represented in Gone With The Wind and is weak to non-existant in our urban centers like Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and El Paso. It is also different depending on where in Texas you are.

But not different enough to be like any performance of Gone With The Wind I can think of.

FartOfWar

Banned
I for one cannot wait until police are allowed to arrest people for speech. No problems there.

The school should expel them and, if they identify the racists responsible, I'm sure they will. But asking for police to arrest people for speech is stupid and speaks only to your utter ignorance of the 20th century.

kess

That's a hell of a weird benchmark for "progress" -- there are literally dozens of accents in the middle of the country.

Kenai

I'm saying it shouldn't happen, not that it is happening.

Who said it should happen? I'm more worried about stuff that has actually happened already than hypotheticals.

You don't necessarily have to kick them out. Suspend + community duties and if they can't fulfill those duties then take more action IE expulsion.

I can't think of a good reason to not simply expel them. Maybe they can earn the right to get back in later?

I for one cannot wait until police are allowed to arrest people for speech. No problems there.

I for one cannot wait until people care more about the victims of hate crimes like this one then the idiots who couldn't even bother to keep their damn mouths shut.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yeah, I see you. Pick a more deserving group to cape for when you return.

Apt101

I didn't know intimidation and the hurling of racial slurs was protected by the first amendment. When does it qualify as hate speech, and when it is illegal?

From Wikipedia, Switzerland's stance on hate speech:
In Switzerland public discrimination or invoking to rancor against persons or a group of people because of their race, ethnicity, is getting penalized with a term of imprisonment until 3 years or a mulct.

Straight forward, logical.

Below it is the section regarding the United States, and suddenly it starts delving into the constitutional framework, case law, etc. This country sometimes.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Since everything else has already been said, I can only add by saying that even this article has a click bait title.

The FIRST LINE says black and hispanic, but the headline only says black.

Thats what I saw too and thought "wtf!?". brb gonna read the article.

This right here.

It's all over the place nowadays! Should it be? HELL NO! But it is and there's nothing we can change about some bigots.

But I mean saying that a vastly Republican school is shit because of this is stupid. UT is liberal, and I bet if there was something like this people wouldnt be going crazy like they are for a mostly Republican school.

Just my opinion on the matter.

It's about race, not politics. I'll take the piss out of a racist liberal as quickly as I will a racist conservative.

This is a really ignorant post.

The "Gone with the Wind" southern accent doesn't exist in Texas.

They are adults. Adults who engage in this kind of behaviour generally do not outgrow it. Call me crazy, but I'd sooner worry about protecting POC students from harassment and violence before I worry that hardcore racists are given a 578th chance to knock it off and to learn from their mistakes.

Inadequate punishment of racists is one part of why racism is so powerful. When a racist is given no more than a slap on the wrist, the most we will see of them changing is that they will whisper the n-word instead of shout it.

ISOM

Expelling them will teach them. They are in college it's not like you can give them detention. They are basically adults, and should be responsible for their decisions.

N.Domixis

Banned
Gross. This is part of the reason I have little faith in the "racists will all die off" idea. Racism is still pure in some of the younger generation. I'm just glad the University took it somewhat seriously and any minimization stopped at that campus officer.

It will be a while, we still have the racist grandpas and grandmas that raised racist mofos. I give it a couple more centuries before these people disappear.

Mr. X

What do you think the cop could have done?
Report it, take names of offenders or remove them from property. There's no way there isn't a policy already in place against hate speech on school grounds.

The cop isn't even familiar with his own campus rules smh.

The Lamp

Got a new email from the A&M president Michael Young

Tuesday's incident of hate speech on Texas A&M University's campus was heartbreaking and a disappointment to not only me, but also to our students, faculty, staff and the entire Texas A&M University family.

It is our greatest responsibility to provide a safe environment that fosters the development of thoughts and ideas that will ultimately change the world and solve our great global challenges. The behavior that took place on our campus falls far short of these expectations and will not be tolerated. We are now in the process of an expedited investigation of the incident to enable us to take appropriate action as quickly as possible. We have also reached out and maintained contact with Uplift Education, the group whose students experienced this inappropriate exchange.

I have been deeply moved and encouraged by the collective response of our current and former students, faculty, staff, and community partners in strongly condemning such behavior as unacceptable on our campus. We have worked diligently for years to make Texas A&M a place that creates the best possible environment for all to grow and develop intellectually and socially. While it is clear from this week's events that our work is far from over, it is my firm belief that we have the necessary resources and the commitment to reach these goals.

We have been engaged in diversity programs and outreach that are student, faculty and community-led. Our Office of Diversity houses an extensive catalogue of campus initiatives that are indispensable to arming our students with the broad perspective so unique to institutions of higher education. We want to provide our students, faculty and staff an experience rich in perspectives and the opportunity to learn and grow from one another. We would also like to invite you to take part in our annual Campus Climate Conference March 9-10 for a dialogue on climate, inclusion and respect. http://campusclimate.tamu.edu/

While we are addressing the issue with a thorough police investigation and a code of conduct investigation within the Division of Student Affairs, we see this as an opportunity to engage in robust dialogue on civility, respect and responsibility. I challenge each one of you to foster an environment in which each one of us can live up to our greatest potential – learning, developing, and ultimately, thriving.

If you witness or experience a situation which you feel is inappropriate, please contact tellsomebody.tamu.edu. For more information about issues of civility, respect and inclusion at Texas A&M, visit http://stophate.tamu.edu/.

Like I said, A&M is not happy.

Zoe

Report it, take names of offenders or remove them from property. There's no way there isn't a policy already in place against hate speech on school grounds.

The cop isn't even familiar with his own campus rules smh.

He took a report. The college students didn't do anything illegal, so his power ends there.

The administration needs to do the rest.

RPGCrazied

Hate speech to me shouldn't include free speech. Nobody should have a right to express being a racist. And the campus cop did just that, said it was free speech.

I don't agree with that at all.

entremet

I guess we can put to bed that racism is a generational thing.

That is that will magically disappear due the old racists dying out.

The student body president wrote an amazing letting. Props.

Hate speech to me shouldn't include free speech. Nobody should have a right to express being a racist. And the campus cop did just that, said it was free speech.

Then what is free speech? Seems weird to set boundaries to something that shouldn't have any...

quickwhips

The offending kids should be removed from A&M and any scholarships currently in use by said students should be split evenly among the prospective students regardless of where they choose to go to college.
I agree with the first part but that isn't how scholarships work.

You what I find funny, is that they shout "Go back where you came from"... y'know, If I recall our American history, white people never really owned America they just kind of...

...took it.

It's amazing they forget or out right deny that part of history but have no problem lording it over minorities or people of color. I blurted this at work in front of some staunch conservatives talking about illegal aliens and everyone but one went quiet and realized that "holy, wow you have a point."

Bought up the Statue of Liberty and the sign on it and it's like they forget that part exists but try to justify that "they need to do it legally"... the irony.

entremet

This is slightly different here.

Free speech protects from government prosecution in the US. However, that doesn't mean institutions cannot limit speech and impose their own penalties.

This is slightly different here.

Free speech protects from government prosecution in the US. However, that doesn't mean institutions cannot limit speech and impose their own penalties.
Public ones are part of the government, though. So they are about as limited as any other government agency. Except in situations where it directly disrupts the educational process such as in a class.

A lot of schools have implemented "free speech zones" around campus for example, which are being challenged in courts as an unconstitutional limit on speech.

entremet

Public ones are part of the government, though. So they are about as limited as any other government agency. Except in situations where it directly disrupts the educational process such as in a class.

A lot of schools have implemented "free speech zones" around campus for example, which are being challenged in courts as an unconstitutional limit on speech.

Not sure about tertiary education, but primary and secondary educational institutions have been granted carte blanche by SCOTUS to limit all sorts of things.

However, those are minors--below 18--mostly. Makes things different.

Not sure about tertiary education, but primary and secondary educational institutions have been granted carte blanche by SCOTUS to limit all sorts of things.

However, those are minors--below 18--mostly. Makes things different.
Yes SCOTUS has consistently held that the 1st doesn't really apply to most situations in primary and secondary school. But yes tertiary education is viewed completely differently. Schools certainly have some discretion in crafting their own limits on a range of issues. But when it comes to speech, there is a very high level of scrutiny there and they have consistently lost when dealing with hate speech issues too.

Seems like this happens once a year, where some black kids visit a school and get fucked with.

And it always seems to be kids vs. older people who should know better. I think last year it was those kids who stayed over in a hotel and were fucked with by the racist staff. Adults who think of black kids as villains before they think of them as children. It's sick.

oni_saru

Oh I know that (i actually went to an hbcu) but I always thought they were supposed to be especially racist .
I don't know about now but back in '08 when i was looking for colleges to go to I remember A&M having a reputation of having a lot of racists around.

Hearing that made me really not want to go so it was at the bottom of my list.

Very generous use of "top."
Out of what 3-4000 post secondary schools in the US?

But yes if you limit to only the most elite of elite like the Ivies, Stanford, etc., then sure. I just don't subscribe to the thought that top tier educations are available only at those schools.

Jospina

Banned
I've lived in Texas most of my life and the accents greatly vary from person to person.
This is a really ignorant post. The "Gone with the Wind" southern accent doesn't exist in Texas.

It goes without saying that my identification of southern accents is ignorant, I'm not from the south. I'm sure southerners can identify minute details in southern accents. I can do the same on my own turf e.g. I can recognize NYC accents, and I can recognize specifically if the accent is from Brooklyn, Queens, etc. And I can break it down even further into specific regions within the boroughs.

What I do know is that in the areas I've been to (mostly along the country side) people have very similar accents to what you see in southern-based movies and documentaries that involve subjects of racism and slavery circa 1800-1900. As a minority, it makes me extremely uncomfortable when I'm in a Denny's and there's 50 people around me that sound like Leonardo DiCaprio from Django. The staring doesn't help either, which is an odd experience for me because I'm really light-skinned for my ethnicity and my hair is usually long enough to hide my Hispanic features, but they can still tell.

So I start to add all of these things together: what I read in the media about the rampant racism in Texas, the accents that match what I see on southern-based Movies/Documentaries about injustice/hate, and my own personal experience with the weird looks I get. It just makes me not want to step foot in there ever again, and it makes articles like these seem par for course. If I feel that way and I'm practically white (look at my avatar) I cannot even imagine the horror African Americans would experience in such a place.

Racism will never die off because those whites who used to lynch blacks for fun are still alive and well and are the grandparents of these kids.

Fuck those kids I hope they get kicked out of the school. Fuck them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom