• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black High School Students Visiting Texas A&M University Harassed, Told to Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Out of what 3-4000 post secondary schools in the US?

But yes if you limit to only the most elite of elite like the Ivies, Stanford, etc., then sure. I just don't subscribe to the thought that top tier educations are available only at those schools.

That would make FSU top tier FYI.

Nothing wrong with that.

This idea that state universities can't provide top experiences and educations are part of the reason why so many kids end up in massive debt. They think they have to go out of state or to a private school just so they are perceived as being better than those that went even to a large state's flagship. Or they end up being pressured by parents or high school counselors for their own benefit.

But in that quote, I said it's fine if you want to limit it to only Ivies and certain other schools. It's just that I don't fully buy into that. Basically a school like this will not be the limiting factor a student's ability to shine in their career, grad school, or networking.

But now we're also horribly off-topic, so sorry for making the original reply.

The Lamp

Hate speech to me shouldn't include free speech. Nobody should have a right to express being a racist. And the campus cop did just that, said it was free speech.

I don't agree with that at all.

As far as I know, in the US, you cannot be arrested for saying a racial slur, due to free speech. If you threaten someone's life, that's different, but I don't think racial slurs fall under that in US law.

It's more of a per-department basis. Several engineering programs are ranked within the top 10, which is top tier by any metric. Other departments don't fare as well.

More on topic, a school as enormous as this located in Central Texas is going to have a dirty underbelly of asshole racists, but that's no excuse. There's a lot of push for diversity in applicants but the effort is undone by jackasses who think it's awesome to shout hate speech at high school students. I don't expect any of the high school students in that group to apply and/or accept an invitation to A&M and I don't blame them in the least bit.

The Lamp

Using US News, which of course I'm not a fan of, TAMU is ranked #70. That certainly isn't a slouch. Being an overall top 100 school public or private in the US probably qualifies as "top tier."

This is true. But also, you should really pick schools by their programs and cost. I wouldn't necessarily choose MIT to study English or dance (I think they offer those majors). I'd choose MIT for engineering or science. Same principle applies for A&M. It offers every major under the sun, but it's most reputable for engineering and business, for which it ranks top 10-20 nationally in public or private. The engineering program I'm in for grad school is #2 in the country, public and private considered. Our petroleum engineering is #1 in the country, public or private.

It goes without saying that my identification of southern accents is ignorant, I'm not from the south. I'm sure southerners can identify minute details in southern accents. I can do the same on my own turf e.g. I can recognize NYC accents, and I can recognize specifically if the accent is from Brooklyn, Queens, etc. And I can break it down even further into specific regions within the boroughs.

What I do know is that in the areas I've been to (mostly along the country side) people have very similar accents to what you see in southern-based movies and documentaries that involve subjects of racism and slavery circa 1800-1900. As a minority, it makes me extremely uncomfortable when I'm in a Denny's and there's 50 people around me that sound like Leonardo DiCaprio from Django. The staring doesn't help either, which is an odd experience for me because I'm really light-skinned for my ethnicity and my hair is usually long enough to hide my Hispanic features, but they can still tell.

So I start to add all of these things together: what I read in the media about the rampant racism in Texas, the accents that match what I see on southern-based Movies/Documentaries about injustice/hate, and my own personal experience with the weird looks I get. It just makes me not want to step foot in there ever again, and it makes articles like these seem par for course. If I feel that way and I'm practically white (look at my avatar) I cannot even imagine the horror African Americans would experience in such a place.

It makes you uncomfortable simply that people have accents? That makes you kind of ignorant to be honest. Being at Denny's and hearing southern accents around you isn't dangerous. People acquire accents from those around them.

Your experience is your experience, I guess, but I've lived in Texas and my family is Hispanic and I really have no idea what you're talking about with "weird looks you get", at least if you're talking about regular daily life. Houston for example is the most racially diverse city in the US.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Doesn't surprise me, given college stations makeup.

I have lived in College Station for 30 years. I can tell you the city itself is pretty progressive but some of the 60,000 students are assholes and a few are no doubt racist.

Anyone that talks shit about college station is either a sip troll or has no idea what they are talking about.

I can also confirm that this particular story is 100% true and 100% disgusting. As an aggie i hope they toss those tools out of the university.

I have lived in College Station for 30 years. I can tell you the city itself is pretty progressive but some of the 60,000 students are assholes and a few are no doubt racist.

Anyone that talks shit about college station is either a sip troll or has no idea what they are talking about.

I can also confirm that this story is 100% true and 100% disgusting.
So you'd say it's mainly the out off towners rather than the homers, in your opinion?

As far as I know, in the US, you cannot be arrested for saying a racial slur, due to free speech. If you threaten someone's life, that's different, but I don't think racial slurs fall under that in US law.

Well that's the catch 22 of a historically racist land.

We're not allowed to describe you as such any longer, but there will be no penalty even when we do.

Jospina

Banned
It makes you uncomfortable simply that people have accents? That makes you kind of ignorant to be honest. Being at Denny's and hearing southern accents around you isn't dangerous. People acquire accents from those around them.

Your experience is your experience, I guess, but I've lived in Texas and my family is Hispanic and I really have no idea what you're talking about with "weird looks you get", at least if you're talking about regular daily life. Houston for example is the most racially diverse city in the US.

My interpretation of things is painted by a combination of the accents, the poor reputation of the region, and the negative bias ingrained by media into my mind. These things mix and create discomfort. There's so much out there that exaggerates the racist elements of southern culture but there's also data that suggests that culture has serious issues with race. It's hard to strike a balance between being objective and being naive.

It's easy to sit at home laid back with a beer and be like "most of these people are probably cool". But when I'm in the moment and it's happening it's different. The hairs in the back of my neck stand up for a second and I start to think "I better finish my food and GTFO asap". That agitation may even cause me to misinterpret the looks I get, I'm aware of that. And if even 1 of those 50 people in the restaurant makes a racist comment (like casually using the N-word out-loud and pronouncing it the "er" way), that reinforces all of your other biases/misinterpretations while you're in the moment. Your mind rationalizes things, it's like "yep, I knew it, all of these motherfuckers are racist" - when in reality, maybe it was just 1 guy out of 50. I'm aware of how all this works psychologically, nonetheless it is what it is.

Cocaloch

Out of what 3-4000 post secondary schools in the US?

But yes if you limit to only the most elite of elite like the Ivies, Stanford, etc., then sure. I just don't subscribe to the thought that top tier educations are available only at those schools.

The education one receives at Texas A&M is simply not comparable to actual top tier schools though.

The education one receives at Texas A&M is simply not comparable to actual top tier schools though.

Sure it's comparable. And additionally as others have said, it also highly depends on the program too. TAMU could hold it's own against anyone for land-grant related majors or engineering, and I'm sure business. A student would be able to do the research they wanted, network with movers within their industry, get into a great grad school, have high level prospects as far as jobs, or otherwise chart their own course during and after graduation.

Again, if you're talking about a top tier education being available only to those who went to an Ivy or ultra elite private regardless of circumstance or program, then you're completely right.

The Lamp

Yeah okay, tell yourself whatever you like.

Meanwhile, reality is that in general, it's a good state school, and for some majors (like engineering, visualization, business, and agricultural studies) it is top 10-20 in the nation. So while you think it's not comparable, meanwhile my colleagues and I are going to work for Fortune 50 companies and go to top grad and professional programs in the country. I have classmates who have worked at Los Alamos, gone to Stanford Law, Harvard Medical School, gotten jobs at top companies like ExxonMobil, PwC, Deloitte, BASF, Tesla, SpaceX, PepsiCo, Ernst & Young, Disney Pixar, Electronic Arts, the list goes on and on. I consider any school that offers these opportunities to their alumni functionally a "top school."

If your definition of "top school" is exclusive to Ivy League + MIT + CalTech, then yeah I guess it's not a "top school." But that's not a useful definition because there's no evidence to support that quality of education, quality of employment/alumni network, quality of graduates is strictly divided by those lines. Many top students (like some of my friends who graduated valedictorian of their high schools) decided not to even attend those schools because of cost and distance. I think so many factors go into educational quality and student population besides just the brand name on the diploma.

The Lamp

Who even does stuff like this. Like, I cannot imagine the thought process that results in college students behaving like this.

Spoiled white kids who grew up in spoiled white families who have little interaction and a wealth of ignorance with other races is my theory. But they're smart and have the grades to get into A&M.

Stop speaking in such a broad manner. Engineering graduates from Texas A&M with good grades will have doors opening wide open for them because it's a top tier engineering program. If you want to pretend that because you (possibly) paid more yours is better then go ahead.

The Lamp

Update from the Student Body President:

Howdy,

In response to the events of last week, a number of students approached me with the idea to write letters to the high school affected.

I believe that this is an opportunity for us a student body to show the students at Uplift Hampton Preparatory our true character and that Texas A&M genuinely is the welcoming and inclusive place that we know it to be.

We now have the opportunity to refuse to let those hateful comments define their memory of the university we love.

Tables will be set up around campus today with stationary that has been generously donated by The Association of Former Students. These letters will be hand delivered this week, so the letters need to be written today. If you are interested, please find time to write one of the letters as soon as possible. Thank you.

That's a neat idea. I hope/expect the school will be flooded with letters given how friendly and large our student body is usually known to be.

Kthulhu

My interpretation of things is painted by a combination of the accents, the poor reputation of the region, and the negative bias ingrained by media into my mind. These things mix and create discomfort. There's so much out there that exaggerates the racist elements of southern culture but there's also data that suggests that culture has serious issues with race. It's hard to strike a balance between being objective and being naive.

It's easy to sit at home laid back with a beer and be like "most of these people are probably cool". But when I'm in the moment and it's happening it's different. The hairs in the back of my neck stand up for a second and I start to think "I better finish my food and GTFO asap". That agitation may even cause me to misinterpret the looks I get, I'm aware of that. And if even 1 of those 50 people in the restaurant makes a racist comment (like casually using the N-word out-loud and pronouncing it the "er" way), that reinforces all of your other biases/misinterpretations while you're in the moment. Your mind rationalizes things, it's like "yep, I knew it, all of these motherfuckers are racist" - when in reality, maybe it was just 1 guy out of 50. I'm aware of how all this works psychologically, nonetheless it is what it is.

Your interpretation is extremely biased and ignorant. A stop at a Denny's in a few rural towns is not an accurate example of an entire state that is larger than some countries opinions on race. Racism does exist here and if you told me it was one of the most concentrated places of racism, I would believe you. That being said, the majority of people here are not racist, and those that are racist are very unlikely to lynch you.

Most of the people in Texas have no accent. Unless you are a Boomer from a more rural area, then you probably aren't very likely to have an accent.

I am fully aware that Texas is far from the most progressive state in the union, but amongst how redneck some of the South can get, I'd probably say we're the least redneck. Edit: Except maybe Georgia.

I also don't get this hate for A&M. I know very little about A&M's culture they have, but my cousin goes there and I have met many graduates of multiple political stripes, not one of them has been openly racist. To paint an entire institution as a place where bigotry should be expected based on the actions of a few individuals is a gross generalization.

To paint an entire institution as a place where bigotry should be expected based on the actions of a few individuals is a gross generalization.

I think the problem is when an institution doesn't hold the individuals accountable for their actions when those actions are inappropriate.

That being said, the majority of people here are not racist, and those that are racist are very unlikely to lynch you.
LOL at all of this.

People don't lynch because it's frowned upon now, and it's only been that way for 50 years. Kids at this college could be direct descendants of some murderous motherfuckers. I don't know why people think violent racism is such an old thing. It's recent as fuck. People could argue it's still sanctioned by the government considering police behavior.

Generally when I see people like the students involved in this story being this comfortable with being racist shits, it means something about their environment.

Kthulhu

I think the problem is when an institution doesn't hold the individuals accountable for their actions when those actions are inappropriate.

I'm sure the school is going to do whatever it can. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can public universities even punish you for hate speech? I thought that since they are part of the government, and therefore restricted by the 1st amendment. I do think these students should be punished for their actions appropriately. I don't condone what they've done, and if the school refuses to punish them then I take back everything I have said.

LOL at all of this.

People don't lynch because it's frowned upon now, and it's only been that way for 50 years. Kids at this college could be direct descendants of some murderous motherfuckers. I don't know why people think violent racism is such an old thing. It's recent as fuck. People could argue it's still sanctioned by the government considering police behavior.

Generally when I see people like the students involved in this story being this comfortable with being racist shits, it means something about their environment.

The point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't fear for your life or assume to worst about an entire state just because you visited a diner that made you uncomfortable, but feel free to straw man anyway.

I never said that violent racism was something that ended long ago. I am fully aware of my country's history and I'm not proud of it.

NeOak

Most of the people in Texas have no accent. Unless you are a Boomer from a more rural area, then you probably aren't very likely to have an accent.
Everyone has an accent. You just think it's neutral.

Living in Houston, traveled around plus talked to people all over Texas over the phone.

Everyone.

Texas A&M is the worst. It's for people that can't get into UT Austin. :p
Both suck and are on a race to raise their tuition faster than the other.
:p

Oversoul

Banned
If "appropriate action" is anything but full expulsion from the university, then the school is saying that this sort of thing is fine by them.

The "First Amendment Rights" bullshit line was horrid. Yes, the assholes are free to say whatever they want, but that does NOT mean they are free from any repercussions.

Repercussions should be in proportion.

Their actions are depressing. Taking away their entire study is...a bit much.

Repercussions should be in proportion.

Their actions are depressing. Taking away their entire study is...a bit much.

They can find themselves another university or a community college to attend

Getting kicked out isn't the end of the world and reinforces that there actions have consequences

I'm sure the school is going to do whatever it can. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can public universities even punish you for hate speech? I thought that since they are part of the government, and therefore restricted by the 1st amendment. I do think these students should be punished for their actions appropriately. I don't condone what they've done, and if the school refuses to punish them then I take back everything I have said.
Yes, pubic universities have lost plenty of times in court trying to regulate hate/racist speech. They are agencies of the government therefore they are bound by the US Constitution.

Oversoul

Banned
Seniority trumps racism now?

What? No.

I am talking about proportion in punishment.
Losing multiple years and grades for one stupid action seems abut much.

There should be consequences, there should be a strong signal, I think we agree on that.

My suggestion would be to make them redo the current year along with a stern warning: if they ever pull that shit again, they are dispelled for life.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've been to Texas en route to other states and made stops along the way for food and hotels and such and it's always really weird to me how in 2016 people still have southern accents from Gone with the wind. New Yorkers/Californians in 2016 don't sound like New Yorkers/Californians from the 1940s. It kind of lines up with the backwardness the state is known for, 80 damn years and still the same accent? No progress at all?

This may be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on GAF.

As for the students, they should definitely be suspended, if their participation can be validated. Why would anyone think that is a good idea?

What? No.

There should be consequences, there should be a strong signal, I think we agree on that.

My suggestion would to make them redo the current year along with a stern warning: if they ever pull that shit again, they are dispelled for life.

So everyone gets one "get out of racism free" card?

fuck that. zero tolerance for bullshit. If that leads to a few racist dumbasses ruining their lives I'm not going to cry for them. Society should expect them to not be racist by that age.

fuck that. zero tolerance for bullshit. If that leads to a few racist dumbasses ruining their lives I'm not going to cry for them. Society should expect them to not be racist by that age.

Well everyone gets unlimited get out of racism free cards - from government intervention. Public scrutiny and pressure, though? Have at it.

What? No.

My suggestion would be to make them redo the current year along with a stern warning: if they ever pull that shit again, they are dispelled for life.
That's the sort of punishment you give for things people might not know is wrong. They knew what they were doing and what it meant.

They also represent the school. Why want to protect them?

Oversoul

Banned

They are not getting out free, they have thrown away an entire year of studying.

If they learn, they learn. If they pull that shit again, they're gone. Give them extra classes on racism while they redo the year.

Going all gung-ho on them will result in A: re-inforcing their believes and B: a bunch of wild racist students running through Texas probably harassing more people to take "revenge".

Going all gung-ho on them will result in A: re-inforcing their believes and B: a bunch of wild racist students running through Texas probably harassing more people to take "revenge".
Here we are again in a topic about racism with the idea being that we need to act a certain way in order to not make racists be racist.

They are already racist, harassing pieces of shit anyway. They've shown us this.

They are not getting out free, they have thrown away an entire year of studying.

If they learn, they learn. If they pull that shit again, they're gone. Give them extra classes on racism while they redo the year.

We aren't talking about 12 year olds, they've had chances to learn their entire lives. Once you're a fucking adult, you deal with adult consequences to adult actions.

Why are you so concerned about how they'll feel about it afterwards? Why are these specific people so worth coddling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom