• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black High School Students Visiting Texas A&M University Harassed, Told to Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fucking disgusting. I hope they find out who they were and punish them as needed.

People keep bringing up the 1st Ammendment statement, you have to realize this wasn't the University itself saying that but a Campus Police Officer. Whether you agree with it or not ( personally don't think hate speech should be covered), arresting them would have actually been a 1st amendment violation because campus police in Texas are real police officers.

Well, that's your fault for believe that. The younger generations are just as racist as our old people, if not worst..

I disagree with that.

Kenai

This is a huge problem with younger racists, in that because of so much of our life is now taking place on the Internet, they've opted out of ever interacting with anyone different than them. They'll go years without talking to a black person if they don't want to, and they have all of their friends on the Internet to validate their bullshit opinions on a group of people they have literally no experience with. At the very least, older racists have had to confront a real life black person and communicate with them before.

A lot of times they won't even know if the person they are communicating with over the internet is black or whatever other non-white ethnicity though. So there's the chance of the opposite being true and them meeting people they would never get to meet otherwise and having a positive experience from that where they would otherwise remain ingorant or hateful.

We are definitely not worse off than we were, that's for sure. That being said, if younger racists have managed to remain so in spite of how global our society has become, there's less and less options beyond minimizing the harm they can do to others.

Edit: And yea there should probably be expulsions over this, assuming the guilty students are known.

masud

Banned
I mean, it's a school of nearly 60,000 students currently. And like a vast majority of all colleges in the US over time, they were racist at one point. North, south, east, and west. It's why historically black colleges and universities exist now. Blacks weren't allowed to enroll in existing colleges at the time.

But in general, the "school" isn't racist. But of course there are going to be a lot of families and money floating around that are racist and cling to that over the generations.

Oh I know that (i actually went to an hbcu) but I always thought they were supposed to be especially racist .

But I don't think college is going to make someone magically unracist. But when it comes down to it you just hang around like minded dudes.

Depends on the college. I was in very liberal college 10 years ago and most of the foul mouthed, adolescent guys I knew had to stop using the word "fag" because girls wouldnt fuck with them if they talked like that.

This is awful, but the school has over 60,000 students. There are going to be some assholes in there.

Sure, but what of the students that let it happen?

Education is exactly what they need though.

You don't learn to not be racist as an adult. Denying someone a higher education for their behaviour is not going to make them more racist, it is going to make them less able to exert their racism.

I mean, I wasn't at the site :p

But seriously, the statement from the SBP I quoted covers this well. This shit happens when assholes feel empowered in their environment to behave this way. A University's student body doesn't have to be overly racist to create an environment in which true racists feel safe to spread their venom. If students make shitty jokes or throw around racist slurs or behave like little shits wearing Confederate flag earrings and nobody else does anything about it, the non-racists are not curtailing this garbage and are letting it fester.

A&M is like a god damn cult

You don't necessarily have to kick them out. Suspend + community duties and if they can't fulfill those duties then take more action IE expulsion.

Fuck no. Expel the fuck out of them. This is the 21st century, there's no place for blatant racism.

You don't necessarily have to kick them out. Suspend + community duties and if they can't fulfill those duties then take more action IE expulsion.

Kick them out.

Take the race out of it, Like everyone loves to say!

These students turned away prospective students from enrolling. Thats $$$ for the university. In short, these students were fucking with school money.

Put the race back in it.

Who the fuck goes to high schoolers as a college student and tosses out racial slurs while they're on a campus tour?

Simply because you're a moron you should be expelled.

Why treat people who are literally engaging in hate speech against POC children as if they themselves were children? Why not assume that people in college know better, and thus a suspension will only result in them learning to be privately racist once they graduate and get a good job?

How come the Hispanic students were left out of thread title?
OP used the source's headline. I agree it's a misleading headline, I don't know if they think using the word 'black' would get them more hits than usiing 'minorities'. Sadly, I bet somewhere, someone did a study on this.

Why treat people who are literally engaging in hate speech against POC children as if they themselves were children? Why not assume that people in college know better, and thus a suspension will only result in them learning to be privately racist once they graduate and get a good job?

One of the perks about being racist? America coddles you and tells the offended parties to have "empathy" and to "see it from their perspective". Same song and dance it's always been.

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Well he is right from the purely unemotional and legal perspective. Unless they were directly threatening the kids, it would be protected. Now, if identified, would these students survive the backlash or challenge anything the university (which as a public school is bound by the 1st) might do? Probably not. They'd have to weigh the benefits of people forgetting about this in two weeks or them taking out a sustained legal fight.

That being said, I hope the students get identified.....

Hazmat

I must have missed the part of the article where a large percentage of those 60,000 students stood around, watched, and were okay with it.

I went to UT for the record. I have no love for A&M. I just can't believe the people that are surprised that with a large enough group of people you're going to get some really vile assholes.

mugwhump

West's office released a statement Thursday saying two black female high school juniors were part of a larger group touring the campus when they were approached by a white female Texas A&M student who asked the girls if they liked her earrings -- which were replicas of the Confederate flag.
woooooooow

The Lamp

Aggies did something shitty and horrible?

STOP THE PRESSES!

Geez what is with this useless comment?

We have one of the largest student bodies in the nation AND we lead the nation's largest student led community service (The Big Event) and are known for our compassionate and friendly spirit. 60,000 people in the south. Who would have thought that amongst that number, some asshole racists would be in there? We definitely don't condone that shit.

My black friend who's doing her PhD in systemic racism sociology there is fucking livid at what happened. As are we all.

I must have missed the part of the article where a large percentage of those 60,000 students stood around, watched, and were okay with it.

I went to UT for the record. I have no love for A&M. I just can't believe the people that are surprised that with a large enough group of people you're going to get some really vile assholes.

Well, how many people did watch it? It's not like these incidents were caught on tape on a bus or whispered between friends, they were shout out in the open. To me, that speaks of a permissive atmosphere.

One of the perks about being racist? America coddles you and tells the offended parties to have "empathy" and to "see it from their perspective". Same song and dance it's always been.

It's ridiculous, and I legitimately cannot understand the perspective on these forums that blatant racism should be given a pass.

It sucks this is a thing and I hope they identify every racist fuck and kick them out. When I was there the high schoolers walking around on tours never suffered with this shit.

The worst I saw was a crazy religious preacher with a crowd around him.

The school that brought us one of the best Defensive players to play football, Von Miller.

Ftfy.

Idk why you were trying to make the school look bad with Manziel but whatever. I fixed it.

People need to grow up. They should probably be expelled but in no way shape or form is this the school's fault so don't take it out on A&M saying that they'll "probably get away with it" and demeaning the school. Let the students do that, not us.

This right here.

It's all over the place nowadays! Should it be? HELL NO! But it is and there's nothing we can change about some bigots.

But I mean saying that a vastly Republican school is shit because of this is stupid. UT is liberal, and I bet if there was something like this people wouldnt be going crazy like they are for a mostly Republican school.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Murkas

. West's office released a statement Thursday saying two black female high school juniors were part of a larger group touring the campus when they were approached by a white female Texas A&M student who asked the girls if they liked her earrings -- which were replicas of the Confederate flag.

Heritage, not hate guise....

Totes not racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom