• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Man Arrested in Hoax Claiming Members of #BlackLivesMatter Vandalized His Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
he didnt have anything better to do? hes also a disabled vet i dont see the point of him stooping this low

scottlattinfox4screenshot.png.CROP.rtstoryvar-large.png
A 45-year-old Whitney, Texas, man was arrested Friday on a misdemeanor charge of filing a false police report after officials concluded that it was he who wrote “Black Lives Matter” and other graffiti on his pickup truck, as part of a hoax, reports Raw Story.

Scott Lattin, 45, a disabled veteran, claimed on Sept. 8 that members of the movement against police brutality defaced his family’s pickup truck because it displayed pro-police messages and symbols. He raised nearly $6,000 to help pay for repairs to the truck after a relative set up a GoFundMe account, the report says. Additionally, car dealers and body shops offered to pitch in to make repairs.

But the arrest came after police noticed discrepancies in video recordings of Lattin talking about the incident, Whitney Police Chief Chris Bentley told Fox4, which broke the story.

“We had initial video when the officers took the report and then when we saw your story on Channel 4. When we looked at those two videos, there were some differences in those and that led us to take the investigation into a different direction,” Bentley told the television news station. When officers wrote the initial report, Bentley said there was no damage to the inside of the truck. But when Fox4 arrived at the home, Lattin revealed that the glove box cover had been ripped off and the seats slashed, writes the news outlet.

At the time of his arrest, he denied to Fox4 that he had vandalized his own vehicle, but the affidavit that officers prepared in order to obtain an arrest warrant shows that Lattin admitted to damaging the vehicle for insurance reasons, Fox4 reports.

“We have so many groups that have participated and come to Whitney, Texas, of all places, to help these people—and for them to have been deceived? It’s just wrong,” Bentley told Fox4.

A neighbor, Levonda Bradshaw, told the station that she was suspicious of the claim from the beginning because the Lattins have a fenced property with dogs that bark at anyone who comes near.

Lattin’s 18-year-old son, Jason, who told Fox4 during the initial report that he wanted to become a police officer, declined to comment on his father’s arrest.
http://www.theroot.com/articles/new...ming_blacklivesmatter_members_vandalized.html

JDSN

Banned
But, are we sure this was motivated by racism?
Can we trust the Neighbor? I mean her name is "Levonda"...

LQX

Hoax seems like a bad term use. Sounds more like a scam. Defrauded his insurance company and got $6,000 from sympathizers.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I expect more of this in 2016, election years always stir up folks like this.

I promise you this guy has said #AllLivesMatter multiple times in his life.

commedieu

Banned
we just want police to be held responsible for being shot in the face all the time.

And this is americas reaction. This and all the anti blm "all lives" bullshit. I mean, the fact that we have to carry that message in the first place is insulting, but hey.This is going to just continue to get worse for blm. Need another name...

Also.

Texas.

But, are we sure this was motivated by racism?
Can we trust the Neighbor? I mean her name is "Levonda"...

He was a disabled vet that was being oppressed by that movement promoting violence against cops. Racism didn't play a factor, the poor guy was just stressed out.

JDSN

Banned
We should wait for all the facts first obviously!
Yup, neighbor has a black name, you know she might be a sleeper Cell black agent waiting for the right time, im just saying we shouldnt dismiss all possibilities and wait what Breitbart has to say about this.

watershed

Banned
Racists trying to make themselves the victims of racism? SMH, are white people so desperate to know what it's like to be a minority in America? Probably not.

jmood88

Racists are duped yet again and this will do nothing to keep them from rallying to support anyone with an outlandish story that "proves" how black people are just as racist as they are.

Why do people always try to use black people to better their situation? Clearly insurance fraud, mis use of police, etc.

All because he hates a type of person, and the way to prove it was to demonize them for something they didn't do?

"See these guys? They busted up my truck! Hate them!"

Need a good psychologist to try to explain this type of mentality. I dunno, maybe it was just about having an easy target and knowledge that if you pander to the right crowd, they will crowd source something to you.

Two Words

Profiling, nope. Just laughing at texas & their racism problems. Just like laughs at Germany/Australia/Florida.
That implies that other parts of the US don't have similar levels of racism issues. If other parts of the US do have these racism issues, which all parts of the US do, then there is no point in pointing this out as a Texas problem. This is a US problem.

commedieu

Banned
That implies that other parts of the US don't have similar levels of racism issues. If other parts of the US do have these racism issues, which all parts of the US do, then there is no point in pointing this out as a Texas problem. This is a US problem.

It implies that if you're looking for an argument to have, because you don't like texas being made fun of the same way G/A/F is for the infamous material coming from their parts. You have to say to yourself "Wait, this person is literally saying no other racism exists in america besides texas!" That is a logic leap that I don't make for G/A/F or south ribbing. Nor do I consider people shitting on Cali a sign that it doesn't happen wherever the poster coming from. You have to make the choice to put up obtuse boundaries to a simple, and frequent, gafmeme.

The entire USA has a racism issue, Texas wouldn't be highlighted if such unique cases of bigotry didn't break the surface. Texas, has a history with racism. Which is why its stories are unique concoctions of racism, and constant, compared to other places.

The point is very much to laugh at texas, specifically, for their abundant and mold breaking content.

Two Words

It implies that if you're looking for an argument to have, because you don't like texas being made fun of the same way G/A/F is for the infamous material coming from their parts.

The entire USA has a racism issue, Texas wouldn't be highlighted if such unique cases of bigotry didn't break the surface. Texas, has a history with racism. Which is why its stories are unique concoctions of racism, and constant, compared to other places.

The point is very much to laugh at texas, specifically, for their abundant and mold breaking content.
You can find stories of ridiculous racist shenanigans from any state. Please do not act like stuff like this only happens in Texas. Texas' issues with racism are not unique to Texas. The whole damn country has a racist issue.

Lebron

Yeah, that sounds about right

Profiling, nope. Just laughing at texas & their racism problems. Just like laughs at Germany/Australia/Florida.

Well shit, Texas is the only state that has racist problems now? The war is almost over. Send word to every non-white person.

commedieu

Banned
Well shit, Texas is the only state that has racist problems now? The war is almost over. Send word to every non-white person.

You can find stories of ridiculous racist shenanigans from any state. Please do not act like stuff like this only happens in Texas. Texas' issues with racism are not unique to Texas. The whole damn country has a racist issue.

Again, you're pretending that laughing heartily at texas for its abundance of racist newstreams, means that I'm sitting in my chair thinking "hahah it doesn't happen anywhere else but Texas."

If you think that, its fine. But I don't.

You can keep pretending that, if you want. But I've corrected you on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom