• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen indicted on felony charges for lying about being raped by three Black males

stephen08

I wish black people and minorities overall get that kind of sympathy when they're charged with crimes.

I do as well. I firmly believe that we are heavily influenced by our environment and since more minorities are in environments that will foster negativity than white people we should absolutely consider that. It's in everyone's best interest to rehabilitate criminals and address the circumstances that cause them in the first place regardless of skin colour.

I don't disagree get that minorities get a more scrutinous look for their crimes but you and I both know that should not be the case.

It's a shame she's not facing more charges, but at least it's something. Hopefully, she can be made an example of.

Hope this news doesn't fall by the wayside. The mainstream needs a wake-up call about how naturally some people will accuse people of color of things they haven't done.

What are the potential motives here?
A.Mental illness?-->If so, then there would be a history of making allegations or claims/having delusions. People often throw out the term "mental illness" but there are a lot of different illnesses. We could be talking about personality disorders, or we could be talking about something far more serious that requires pharmacological interventions--something like Schizophrenia or Bipolar I.

B.Money---> Someone pointed out she had set up a gofundme page after making the claims and getting the investigation going. So its very likely she was looking for a quick buck.

C.Racism-->In a small town with a small minority population, it is possible that she really doesn't want "those people" in her town.

Is the punishment fair?
In this situation it's difficult because her actions harm both rape survivors and black men. People shouldn't have to be reminded of how many black men have been jailed and murdered over such a thing. If she is punished harshly for a false allegation, then those who have been raped and who can't provide enough evidence may be slapped with a charge that can ruin their lives. One could probably say that this was a form of obstruction of justice(she wasted police resources). She committed a type of financial fraud(due to the gofundme page), and one could also argue that this is a hate crime if it can be proven that she's aware of racial tensions that exist in that community.

If she is punished harshly for a false allegation, then those who have been raped and who can't provide enough evidence may be slapped with a charge that can ruin their lives.

I never understood this and it seemed to come from people taking a bizarrely binary look at the situations. Not being able to prove you were raped IS NOT the same as a provably false accusation, yet they're equated is if the latter has any effect on the former. Someone who is outed as making a false accusation, with prove of them doing so, isn't the same as someone who was simply unable to provide adequate proof that they were raped

Dumb mistake, one she'll pay for dearly. So young too. I pity her. Can't even imagine what goes through someone's head that they'd want to do something like that.

I guess it's possible that she has an evil nature, like 70% of the people here in this thread assume. But she's 18 years old, and who knows what kind of influence drove her to do this, if any.
Why would I ever give this lying bitch the benefit of the doubt?

Aaron

Why would I ever give this lying bitch the benefit of the doubt?
Because she's 18, and people seem to forget how fucking dumb they were at 18.

New Yorker recently had a story about a young black man who I think was 16 when he attempted a carjacking with a loaded pistol. This is a stupid crime he definitely committed. He went to jail, and it ruined his life. Prison shouldn't be punitive in all but the most extreme cases, especially at such young ages. These people need guidance, not a jail cell. Then they might have a life that will benefit society, because if this girl wasn't a racist before you put her in prison, she is sure as hell going to be one when she gets out. Putting her there is as dumb as her crime, and benefits no one.

New Yorker recently had a story about a young black man who I think was 16 when he attempted a carjacking with a loaded pistol. This is a stupid crime he definitely committed. He went to jail, and it ruined his life. Prison shouldn't be punitive in all but the most extreme cases, especially at such young ages. These people need guidance, not a jail cell. Then they might have a life that will benefit society, because if this girl wasn't a racist before you put her in prison, she is sure as hell going to be one when she gets out. Putting her there is as dumb as her crime, and benefits no one.
Locking up white women for lying about black men sounds like it would benefit me greatly.

And let's stop calling racism a dumb mistake. The US has a history of using minorities as scapegoats.

18 is legal adulthood. And she is a racist. No "ifs". She knew exactly what to feed into to create sympathy from the fellow white members of her community to bolster her scam. If she wants to have a life that will benefit society, she can have it when she gets out.

Locking her up certainly benefits all the black men whose lives would have been ruined by her racist lies. After countless lives lost to this exact form of white supremacy, it's about time America starts protecting the victims of this crime, because not holding the offenders accountable hasn't done shit to stop this.

PRBoricua

This one hits a little closer to home for me, but it happened under different circumstances. My buddy was 18 (and black) and the girl he was seeing was 17 (and white).

When the girl's parents found out about their relationship (they didn't approve of her dating a black guy), the girl decided she was going to claim that he raped her to avoid punishment from her folks and the parents pressed charges.

During the trial, it was revealed that she was indeed dating him and was never raped, however, the parents decided they were going to go after him for statutory rape anyway and they won. He spent seven years in prison for that mistake.

People are awful.

Yeoman

I disagree, in fact I think people exaggerate this. If she was 4 years old you'd have a point - but if you're 18 and making false rape allegations your ass should be firmly in jail.

NoName999

She didn't do something banal like trying to lose virginity.

SHE LIED ABOUT BEING RAPED BY THREE BLACK MEN, THUS PUTTING THE LIVES OF BLACK MEN IN HER AREA IN DANGER!

Also, really? So she's 18? Do you know how many 18 year olds falsely report rape? Not a lot. So clearly 18 year olds aren't as dumb as you think they are.

FStubbs

The law says she's an adult, able to vote, able to join the military.

Lock her up and throw away the key. What she did was attempted murder on every black man in the vicinity.

This one hits a little closer to home for me, but it happened under different circumstances. My buddy was 18 (and black) and the girl he was seeing was 17 (and white).

When the girl's parents found out about their relationship (they didn't approve of her dating a black guy), the girl decided she was going to claim that he raped her to avoid punishment from her folks and the parents pressed charges.

During the trial, it was revealed that she was indeed dating him and was never raped, however, the parents decided they were going to go after him for statutory rape anyway and they won. He spent seven years in prison for that mistake.

People are awful.

how the fuck is it statutory rape? Man your country's laws are fucked! Poor guy...

Chuckie

I was dumb. Haven't forgotten that. But I wasn't making any fake racist allegations and neither did any of my friends, who were 18 and probably also pretty dumb.

Riding down a hill in a supermarket cart and crashing into a tree is 'dumb teenage behaviour'

Falsely accusing three black men of raping you in a racist ass state is not.

Yeah, everyone was young once. You go out, have a couple of drinks, and before you know it you're making false rape accusations left and right.

This woman is trash and deserves severe punishment.

platocplx

Yep. People claim to like To Kill A Mockingbird but learned nothing from it and believe white women who knowingly feed into violent white supremacy aren't actually responsible for the black bodies that drop because of their lies.

I remember a episode of criminal minds where a black man was mutilated because of a white womans lies back in the day and she had the audacity to apologize years later after destroying his life(couldn't have kids, had to be on testosterone pills) if you didn't get hung for it things like that would happen. People really don't understand/ minimize the role White women have historically played in white supremacy.

low-G

I see this sort of weird sociopath shit to excuse almost everything at this point. I don't get it. Neither me nor anyone I've known did anything of the level of the topic at hand. Also by 18 I understood consequences and all that shit. I don't get it...

Biggest thing I ever stole was a fridge magnet and I was 9.

Someone 18 years old or older can't legally have sex with someone younger than 18.

Actually depends on the state, most have laws concerning people in similar age ranges. In Georgia for example it would be perfectly legal.

Also prosecuting this girl doesn't mean we'll go around convicting every girl who's rapist got off. Context is important and this is. Really extreme case.

Top Bottom