• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Critical Drinker] Joel Did Nothing Wrong - The Importance Of Ambiguity

Saber

Gold Member
Good lord.
The fireflies are trying to find the cure. That's their goal. Their motivation. Ellie was a tool for their goal that's it. If their are delusional to think they can save the world that's on them. I'd not for you to decide. Joel just happens to be there to deliver ellie.

Do you get it now

I like when you white knights all forget that random_NPC_doctor(which nobody cared because he was...a random npc) mentioned that "all the sacrifices, all the wrong doing" would be fixed if they could bring a cure out of Ellie brain, even though theres no garantee and she isn't the first one.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Didn't watch the video but what Joel did is clearly a grey area. He may have done it for purely selfish reasons but at the same time he basically learned to love and care about something/somebody again and expecting someone to give that up over what was a maybe is kinda crazy.

Obviously he could have handled the whole situation differently but then so could have the Fireflies. They threatened his life, gave Ellie no say in the matter, and also knew what they were doing was morally pretty wrong. If they had the decency to let Joel see her one last time then things could have been different. They put a gun to him and expected him to be okay with walking out as they killed what he considered to be his second daughter. Not gonna fly.

There is no real right answer really but personally I disagree with people saying Joel is an outright piece of shit cuz of what he did. I'd probably have done the same thing and so would a great deal of people in that situation.

TLOU is an all-time classic, and part 2 isn't too far behind. It may not have quite the same impact as the first but damn is it a solid game.
The only reason they had to pull a gun on joel because he refused to leave and Marlene knew about Joel and his past dsughter and feared he may get attached thus resulting in the whole games plot and ellies story being meaningless. Everyone always says "Joel should get to decide Ellies fate", why? If anything knowing what we know Marlene should have final say, and not because she is a firefly but because she knew Ellies mom and were friends and when Ellies mom died she promised she would watch over Ellie etc. Marlene was more a parent figure to Ellie because not only did she know Ellie longer but she knew the woman who birthed her. Marlene was going to take Elliee herself but got injured in the beginning of the game so needed a plan B. If you remove joel it would have just been Marlene and Ellie.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
With a vaccine why not? There would only be so many infected either and after years people could retake the world as is was, granted it would be years but the system would be reset. Thats what vaccines are for, a reset. Humans are resilient.
Well based on the game there are people who gone either cannibals or religious cult crazy or down right crazy, there is no bringing back those guys to normal society. The bigger problem is even they do somehow make the Vaccine I highly doubt Fireflies can make those in high quantity, so the Vaccine become another good excuse people to kill each and based on the game it doesn't take much for them to just massacre each other.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Well based on the game there are people who gone either cannibals or religious cult crazy or down right crazy, there is no bringing back those guys to normal society. The bigger problem is even they do somehow make the Vaccine I highly doubt Fireflies can make those in high quantity, so the Vaccine become another good excuse people to kill each and based on the game it doesn't take much for them to just massacre each other.
The reason for that behaviour is because of the pandemic in the first place with people trying to survive. Now a vaccine slowly comes and people realize that there is an end to the means where they dont have to struggle as hard because relief is coming. It doesnt matter the quantity what matters is the vaccine alone restores peoples hope and willingness for a normal society.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It doesnt matter the quantity what matters is the vaccine alone restores peoples hope and willingness for a normal society.
Gon, you are too naive....
F131054750F808714155598B80B0C93AF8239FF7

Ulysses 31

She states no matter what, also we're being ignorant to the fact that in winter joel find out the cordycept grows all over the brain from the doctor who died to the bite. Joel knew what it would come to but he wanted to ignore the facts. The fact that she is immune means her infection mutated on her brain meaning they have to open her up. Ellie purpose was to die in that hospital, she states its several times in part 2 as well. Joel had selfish reasons to keep her alive when she wanted to sacrifice herself for a greater good
Where does she state no matter what? If you're talking about the screenshot then yeah, it makes sense to finish the journey to the hospital when they're so close, doesn't mean she was ready to die there immediately. The fact that she makes future plans with Joel shortly after shows that she wasn't thinking of dying there. Unless she's the type to casually lie about such things to people she loves which doesn't seem in character from what TLUO1 shows of Ellie.

I did find it a weird attitude change of TLUO2 Ellie that she says she was supposed to die in that hospital while in TLUO1 she was never conscience of the fact that she had to die for the vaccine.

Saber

Gold Member
The reason for that behaviour is because of the pandemic in the first place with people trying to survive.

Hard to buy that. You think people became hard mentally ill cultists because they're trying to survive?

Danji made an excellent point and theres no counter-argument. Those people are the scum of society. They did not do this to survive, they took advantage of the apocalitic world to create "their rules/twisted ideas". Theres no incoporation of these people to society. Its like trying to bring Nazis to society.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Where does she state no matter what? If you're talking about the screenshot then yeah, it makes sense to finish the journey to the hospital when they're so close, doesn't mean she was ready to die there immediately. The fact that she makes future plans with Joel shortly after shows that she wasn't thinking of dying there. Unless she's the type to casually lie about such things to people she loves which doesn't seem in character from what TLUO1 shows of Ellie.

I did find it a weird attitude change of TLUO2 Ellie that she says she was supposed to die in that hospital while in TLUO1 she was never conscience of the fact that she had to die for the vaccine.
She makes future plans with joel because he coaxes her into thinking they are going to run blood tests and thatd be it when in winter he already finds out it grows all over the brain and her is mutated. He already knows the realisation before Marlene tells him, he was ignorant to the truth and didnt want to believe it. Ellie stating in part 2 solidifies that she felt her mutation was a gift and it gave her purpose. Her purpose was to be the vaccine and be hope. Especially in the end of the last of us part 1 when she made Joel swear that what he told her was true. She stopped believing Joel there and ever so slowly distanced herself from him in part 2

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Hard to buy that. You think people became hard mentally ill cultists because they're trying to survive?

Danji made an excellent point and theres no counter-argument. Those people are the scum of society. They did not do this to survive, they took advantage of the apocalitic world to create "their rules/twisted ideas". Theres no incoporation of these people to society. Its like trying to bring Nazis to society.
.....yes.... if they are not cultists then they are survivors, if they arent survivors then they are hunters, if there not hunters they may be fireflies, if they are not fireflies they may be that new faction at the end of part 2 we didnt find out much about. The reason society fell was for two reasons, a pandemic and because of said pandemic they couldnt keep mass law and order. Thats why they have quaratine zones with military in part 1 in the beginning of the game with normal people trying to live their lives under some sorr of rule and law because they wouldnt make it out on their own. The pandemic flipped the switch and caused people to form groups, cults what have you to survive but also give people reason to keep on living and something and or someone to look forward to.

we even have snippets of the first game of how ruthless Joel became. Joel was a contract worker and became an overblown murderer between the start of the pandemic and part 1
Joel
"You survived because of me"
Tommy
"I got nothing but nightmares from you, it wasnt worth it"
The environment you grow up in has a factor on how someone behaves and developes.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

He stopped as soon as Abby got closer.

Hearing gunshots know when it's safe to approach and how far you are from the ones taking the shots. You're not good at this. lol
He still got Manny so Yara couldn't be careless with her approach. You don't seem to take into consideration that as closer she gets, the bigger the risk of detection. We don't know when or if she could see Tommy to know when exactly she had to move to make it there in time.

carlosrox

Banned
The only reason they had to pull a gun on joel because he refused to leave and Marlene knew about Joel and his past dsughter and feared he may get attached thus resulting in the whole games plot and ellies story being meaningless. Everyone always says "Joel should get to decide Ellies fate", why? If anything knowing what we know Marlene should have final say, and not because she is a firefly but because she knew Ellies mom and were friends and when Ellies mom died she promised she would watch over Ellie etc. Marlene was more a parent figure to Ellie because not only did she know Ellie longer but she knew the woman who birthed her. Marlene was going to take Elliee herself but got injured in the beginning of the game so needed a plan B. If you remove joel it would have just been Marlene and Ellie.

This only makes her worse. Marlene has no right to decide for Ellie either. Why not wait for Ellie to wake up and let her see Joel one last time? She's doing it without her express consent and behind her back cuz she knows it's wrong. If Ellie came to she more than likely would have agreed to it, but then she would at least be able to talk to Joel and say goodbye and all that. Marlene wasn't even willing to give them that.

Marlene didn't handle the situation well at all. I believe if things had gone differently Joel may have been fine with it. If Ellie told him expressly this is what she wants then I think Joel would have gone along with it even if he didn't want it. Or maybe he could have talked Ellie out of it, who knows. But Marlene not giving them that chance to have a talk or goodbye was pretty fucked up itself.

Marlene may have been close with Ellie and all that but Ellie seemed to form a deeper connection with him than her and that says a lot.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
He still got Manny so Yara couldn't be careless with her approach. You don't seem to take into consideration that as closer she gets, the bigger the risk of detection. We don't know when or if she could see Tommy to know when exactly she had to move to make it there in time.
Manny was right next to Abby.

But I can tell you didn't pay attention to this scene at all. And no, I am taking it into consideration. What you don't understand is that the distance between her initial position to outside of the building is reduced since she doesn't have to worry about being shot. And then you have to to travel to the to where the shots are being fired from, which is at the far end of the building and you don't have to worry about getting fired at. This means she has spent very little time worry or being stealthy as you're trying to make it seem like she spent a lot of time. Basic logic tells you that you conclusion is wrong.

Joel is a gray caracter, I think that ND (drunkmann) left him down, they developed the caracter with depth and made him cardboard thin.

Even if he was wrong about the outcome, how was he supposed to trust the fireflies after how they treated him, when he delivered what he promised? And either way, how likely is it that such a complex medical procedure just wors on first try? I think that if anything, the doctors were over confident or too hopeful to see the holes in their plan.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

This only makes her worse. Marlene has no right to decide for Ellie either. Why not wait for Ellie to wake up and let her see Joel one last time? She's doing it without her express consent and behind her back cuz she knows it's wrong. If Ellie came to she more than likely would have agreed to it, but then she would at least be able to talk to Joel and say goodbye and all that. Marlene wasn't even willing to give them that.

Marlene didn't handle the situation well at all. I believe if things had gone differently Joel may have been fine with it. If Ellie told him expressly this is what she wants then I think Joel would have gone along with it even if he didn't want it. Or maybe he could have talked Ellie out of it, who knows. But Marlene not giving them that chance to have a talk or goodbye was pretty fucked up itself.

Marlene may have been close with Ellie and all that but Ellie seemed to form a deeper connection with him than her and that says a lot.
The reasom again they dont let joel see ellie is because marlene predicted the outcome, even if ellie said then and there ill do it Joel would be selfish and not let her regardless and probably even take her against her will to try to save her. Which is why ellie states in part 2 she was supposed to die there and wanted her life to matter. Joel lost a daughter and even though ellie wasnt his he knew he couldnt go through that again, by any means necessary he prob would have killed everyone regardless except this time he wouldnt be able to lie to ellie about it for years upon years. In part 2 we can also see Marlene was very hesistant with the choice and fought Abbys father on it as well. He made her buy in to the idea in thr first place because the vaccine would save millions and that was the goal for the fireflies which was to get a vaccine. Marlene pressures the doctor but realised he is right, and whilst she knows its a shitty situation, its the smart move to go ahead with the procedure.

assurdum

Banned
The more we talk about TLOU2 and the more I hate the pretestuose shit is it. I loved with all myself the first. Such a perfect game with a perfect fitted narrative. But the second, Jesus Christ, what stupid and unnecessary story. Druckmann had to abandon the Ellie and Joel arc as claimed after finished the first. He literally screwed everything of good or interesting I seen in the story of the first with his obsession for the "emotions". Imo. I don't know what will be the third, but God, I beg you, please not again this shit. I can't stand another disappointment like this.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

She makes future plans with joel because he coaxes her into thinking they are going to run blood tests and thatd be it when in winter he already finds out it grows all over the brain and her is mutated. He already knows the realisation before Marlene tells him, he was ignorant to the truth and didnt want to believe it. Ellie stating in part 2 solidifies that she felt her mutation was a gift and it gave her purpose. Her purpose was to be the vaccine and be hope. Especially in the end of the last of us part 1 when she made Joel swear that what he told her was true. She stopped believing Joel there and ever so slowly distanced herself from him in part 2
It is weird that the Fireflies plan to kill their only live specimen so quickly without taking the time to do any other examinations first.

I'll have to refresh my memory with the winter doctor bit but I don't really see how it's really relevant since it's at the hospital when it's revealed that Ellie has to die for sure. Even if Joel knew that Ellie might have to die there beforehand, any choice in the matter was taken away by the Fireflies first. It still strikes me as strange that Ellie would leave Joel without ever saying good bye and that she never questions the Fireflies for never informing her as TLUO2 seems to imply.

If being a cure for the world is that important to her, why is it never explored if her children could be immune too?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

It is weird that the Fireflies plan to kill their only live specimen so quickly without taking the time to do any other examinations first.

I'll have to refresh my memory with the winter doctor bit but I don't really see how it's really relevant since it's at the hospital when it's revealed that Ellie has to die for sure. Even if Joel knew that Ellie might have to die there beforehand, any choice in the matter was taken away by the Fireflies first. It still strikes me as strange that Ellie would leave Joel without ever saying good bye and that she never questions the Fireflies for never informing her as TLUO2 seems to imply.

If being a cure for the world is that important to her, why is it never explored if her children could be immune too?
They did run tests..... how do you think Marlene knew that her infection mutated and could make the vaccine, msrlene told joel this in p1 and that's when them conclusion hit joel and he stated it grows all over the brain meaning theyd have to kill her to get to the mutated infection, this is then explored more with abbys father in p2 when you see him talking to Marlene and he claims this is what they and the world has been waiting for, this is their shot and he convinces her aswell to buy in and initially she's not as cold hearted as the first game makes her, she pushes the doctor to find another way and even asks "what if this was your daughter" etc you also forget when the fireflies find joel giving chest compressions to Ellie to which its day time, when joel wakes up and the doctor talks to Marlene its already night, meaning hours have passed, also Owen notified abbys dad after the zebra incident that they already started running tests
also because ellie is gay.....

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Manny was right next to Abby.

But I can tell you didn't pay attention to this scene at all. And no, I am taking it into consideration. What you don't understand is that the distance between her initial position to outside of the building is reduced since she doesn't have to worry about being shot. And then you have to to travel to the to where the shots are being fired from, which is at the far end of the building and you don't have to worry about getting fired at. This means she has spent very little time worry or being stealthy as you're trying to make it seem like she spent a lot of time. Basic logic tells you that you conclusion is wrong.
We don't know when Yara makes her approach to the building or how far the fight has progressed when she enters it.

Tommy showed how deadly he can be in a fire fight with all the bodies outside, Yara stands no chance against him from ranged. She doesn't worry of getting shot at because she remains undetected which means staying out of sight and not making too much noise. This limits her movement speed inside the building. She doesn't know (for the most part) where Tommy is and she can't fight back, I don't buy she can hurry towards Tommy's area quickly if she values remaining undetected to stand a fighting chance.

THEAP99

Banned
TLOU2 was pretty favorable to Joel and his character in terms of showcasing him. Idk what other game people played

Ulysses 31

They did run tests..... how do you think Marlene knew that her infection mutated and could make the vaccine, msrlene told joel this in p1 and that's when them conclusion hit joel and he stated it grows all over the brain meaning theyd have to kill her to get to the mutated infection, this is then explored more with abbys father in p2 when you see him talking to Marlene and he claims this is what they and the world has been waiting for, this is their shot and he convinces her aswell to buy in and initially she's not as cold hearted as the first game makes her, she pushes the doctor to find another way and even asks "what if this was your daughter" etc you also forget when the fireflies find joel giving chest compressions to Ellie to which its day time, when joel wakes up and the doctor talks to Marlene its already night, meaning hours have passed, also Owen notified abbys dad after the zebra incident that they already started running tests
also because ellie is gay.....
I doubt they ran all the tests possible in the little time the operation was planned(hours?). The Fireflies already make a bad impression by knocking Joel out when he's giving CPR to Ellie.

TLUO2 tries to make the Fireflies seems like good people but ultimately their actions in TLUO1 say otherwise.

Yeah, Abby tries to justify her father's decision by saying she'd be OK with it but it's meaningless since she's never the one on the operating table.

If she's willing to die for the vaccine, wouldn't she be willing to birth life for it as well?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
We don't know when Yara makes her approach to the building or how far the fight has progressed when she enters it.

Tommy showed how deadly he can be in a fire fight with all the bodies outside, Yara stands no chance against him from ranged. She doesn't worry of getting shot at because she remains undetected which means staying out of sight and not making too much noise. This limits her movement speed inside the building. She doesn't know (for the most part) where Tommy is and she can't fight back, I don't buy she can hurry towards Tommy's area quickly if she values remaining undetected to stand a fighting chance.
Tommy wasn't close and she could hear that. You need a different excuse because this isn't working.

Outlier

Nah. Joel Murdered countless people for his own self preservation. Physically and mentally. All under the belief that others would do the same to him, if they felt the need.

Bad behavior is still bad behavior.

Didn't play the game, but Abby and Ellie just prove to be even worse, than him. Killing many to avenge one.

ToadMan

Because it is was the developer makes the whole time to get enough brownie points, not because it makes Ellie a more interesting or compelling character it is just cheap virtue signaling.

No, Ellie being gay is critical to this story.

Joel saves Ellie from what is apparently certain death in TLOU 1 despite the (perhaps retrofitted fact) that her death offers a chance to save humanity as a whole.

He puts the good of the one ahead of the good of the many - at least that’s the conceit for TLoU 2. Fine.

He does that in the expectation that Ellie will live and have a good life - something all parents both biological and surrogate want for their children.

What is a “good life” in the context of TLoU? Survival yes, but just surviving is pretty miserable. Living and thriving is about having a secure future. A future means having children and rebuilding a society. Effectively achieving a rebuild of society is still solving the problem without the need for Ellie’s death. When we see the town Joel and Ellie live in - friends, family, safety - we are being shown that Joel has apparently succeeded in providing that new version of the future.

Except Ellie’s gay. She isn’t voluntarily going to be bearing children. Let’s imagine what that means in the TLOU world. Ellie is a drain on society, she eats, needs to be protected and will one day be an old woman who needs to be taken care of. But she is producing no children - she’s relying on the rest of society to support her. She is a leech on a fragile community fighting for survival. Right now she’s young enough to be useful - but that won’t last for ever. She’d be more useful producing children especially if those children inherit her immunity.

Joel saved Ellie believing there was a positive future only for her to not fit into that future or even contribute to it.

Ellie’s sexual orientation confirms Joel has failed - he didn’t save humanity, and his actions haven’t contributed to the positive future he hoped for. That’s why he knows he has a price to pay. He killed a lot of “good” people in the fireflies compound believing there was a chance to survive and rebuild without Ellie’s death, only to find out she would die childless anyway.

Final point - the “good people” in TLOU2 are predominately white heterosexual - and mostly male too. This isn’t a love letter to the lgbt or racially diverse communities people claim.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The biggest critics usually don't have a good understanding of the story of TLOU 1 or 2. What's shocking is that they don't understand what "retcon" or "plot holes" even mean.
So funny watching you make all kinds of mental gymnastics for MONTHS when Neil himself said Abby was a retcon. That character had nothing to do with the fireflies or TLOU1 at all when they wrote TLOU2. She knew Tommy and Joel from before the events of TLOU1.

Then during development they went "oh wait! What about that random doctor Joel killed?" so they changed that character and gave him a pig daughter and filmed new flashbacks to create a fake backstory. It didn't even fit but whatever.

A real tearjerker for mindless sheep who are now going around all over the internet to "explain" that cheap high school play. Embarrassing.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So funny watching you make all kinds of mental gymnastics for MONTHS when Neil himself said Abby was a retcon. That character had nothing to do with the fireflies or TLOU1 at all when they wrote TLOU2. She knew Tommy and Joel from before the events of TLOU1.

Then during development they went "oh wait! What about that random doctor Joel killed?" so they changed that character and gave him a pig daughter and filmed new flashbacks to create a fake backstory. It didn't even fit but whatever.

A real tearjerker for mindless sheep who are now going around all over the internet to "explain" that cheap high school play. Embarrassing.
Making a character have a back story is not a retcon. The only "retcon" was making the character white. That's it.

The only mental gymnastics are people who are trying to say something is a retcon when it's not. You guys need to pull up a dictionary, because the misuse of words like retcon is rather embarrassing.

luffie

Joel & Ellie did nothing wrong.
  • I've always said that by sacrificing Ellie, her death is certain, the cure is not.

• Firefly didn't even bother to ask Ellie or Joel first. They didn't even gave them time to think. They simply justify killing her because they justify themselves as the heroes.

• Fireflies didn't give Joel a choice too, it's either we kill Ellie, or you have to kill us to stop it.

• If anyone of you have someone close like a daughter being sacrificed in secret without consent, you'll do what Joel did (at least me).

• Ellie saw what she considers a father figure killed in "front of her". I'd do the same in her shoes. And also consider she came back learning from Tommy that Joel got killed just after saving Abby.

• People say Ellie lost her humanity, they're wrong. Ellie is still hot from revenge, those events basically happens in about a week. Meanwhile Abby has plotted her revenge for 4 years.

• Ellie actually considers dropping her vengeance for the sake of Tommy's & Dina's safety, up till Abby no scoped her friend.

Druckman's 2 dimesional morality being paraded as a masterpiece was always the travesty here.

Rickyiez

Except Ellie’s gay. She isn’t voluntarily going to be bearing children. Let’s imagine what that means in the TLOU world. Ellie is a drain on society, she eats, needs to be protected and will one day be an old woman who needs to be taken care of. But she is producing no children - she’s relying on the rest of society to support her. She is a leech on a fragile community fighting for survival. Right now she’s young enough to be useful - but that won’t last for ever. She’d be more useful producing children especially if those children inherit her immunity.
Strongly disagree. Being gay here has no significant to the story. She contributed to society by protecting those who wanted to reproduce as long as she's still capable. What's the point of having so much babies if everyone are busy making them without anyone to do all the scouting and resource gathering.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I feel like people genuinely misunderstand TLOU2 sometimes. Even though they’re sure they have it pinned.

Ambiguity, ladies and gents.
The fact that the annoying bitch doesn't understand joel's point of view for the entire fucking game make her even more obnoxious.
She does understand his POV, but she’s pissed that the choice wasn’t his to make, and maybe it was the wrong choice altogether. She knows he’s lying as soon as he tells her at the end of the first game, but she’s young and scared.

This is written fairly clearly between the lines...

Last edited:

Alan Wake

TLOU is such a great game. No scene, no character feels wrong or redundant. The ending is also perfect. So perfect that it did not require a sequel at all. TLOU2 totally blew it, and sadly the smell from that mess sort of hits the first game too. Because I now know what happened after.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You saying I'm wrong and me actually being wrong aren't the same thing haha. But this has been fun.

The ending of the game says he'd do it again, sure, but unless you have negative brain cells that one line doesn't change the actions of the rest of the plot. The rest of the plot very clearly (by letting Abby off with zero consequences for her own actions, therefore proving that if you're abby you can get away with murder but not if you're Joel) dictates that no matter how Joel "justifies" the act, it is a bad act.

Fireflies were changed from dickish assholes who were going to send Joel without weapons and supplies back into the world and a bunch of hacks who were dying out to a group that were altruistic and buddy buddy just like you! That is indeed a retcon, and one they don't even really stick to as they then shove in the wolves and scars to replace the failure of the Fireflies entirely.

The story of the cure is not pushed forward in TLOU2. At all. The cure is irrelevant to the plot of TLOU2 happening. The MURDER of Abby's dad is the incident that spurs the issue but the cure itself would not change the outcome of TLOU2's (very human driven) plotlines.

As for the Fireflies involvement I honestly don't know how/why I care about the fireflies even with the plot as it happened in this game? I have no vested interest inthe fireflies "coming back" or "being alive." The only connection to them is Abby and it's a connection that I have no sympathy for because the fireflies are kinda...douchebags who I have no reason to care about. So this still doesn't effect the outcome of TLOU2's plot. And them coming back only to get "Revenge" on Ellie defeats once again the purpose of Ellie letting Abby go, which can only end in a cliche way of Abby being the one to save Ellie from the Fireflies in a potential sequel which is about as uninspired as the plot to TLOU2 was.

You're making a lot of statements but not really like...backing them up with coherent retorts other than "NUH UH YOU WRONG" so I think I'll bow out. Good talk though.
Letting abby off with 0 consequences? I stopped reading there. You are delusional.
Abby lost everything. Her home, all get friends and loved ones and even her body to a degree.
She paid heavy price for her actions

Keihart

Video about ambiguity that then shits on the sequel. "yeah, good video and Joel was right"
What the fuck people, lmao.

Also, after having some distance from the second game, the sequel it's definitely better in every department and way more ambitious too.
First game ends with a façade of hope with dread under it and the second ends with a façade of dread with hope under it. Kinda poetic how all ties up.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
In the flashbacks she always stated she hated missing traning 1 because she didnt want to get in trouble and 2 because it was valauble for her revenge also she brags to Owen about benching 180 pounds for the first time

And if it were "training" then everybody would look that way. Clearly there is something more to it. I don't know if you've ever tried to add muscle mass like that, but if you have you'll know that it isn't just a matter of "training".

Last edited:

ToadMan

Strongly disagree. Being gay here has no significant to the story. She contributed to society by protecting those who wanted to reproduce as long as she's still capable. What's the point of having so much babies if everyone are busy making them without anyone to do all the scouting and resource gathering.

For as long as she is able - that won’t be forever. There’s no social security, welfare or medical services in the TLOU world. When she is too unfit (as a result of injuries and poor nutrition) or simply too old to be useful, she becomes a consumer of resources and has not contributed children to her and the community’s future upkeep.

That’s what children are in “frontier” civilisations - insurance and investment for the future. Note how in our time the poorest countries have some of the highest birth rates and also the lowest welfare and support systems.

As for the scouting and resource gathering - that’s what men are for. They don’t suffer the debilitating physical effects of child bearing. A voluntarily infertile female is not as useful as a fertile one in that post-apocalyptic society. Ellie isn’t as useful as a male and she isn’t as useful as a child bearing woman if she chooses not to conceive.

Ellie is literally another mouth to feed who is less valueable than the others. She even says as much to Joel when she tells him he should have let the firefly doctor have her so her life would have meant something.

The murderous revenge rampage is Ellie coming to terms with her own uselessness in a world that needs people who can build. She can only destroy.

Beyond that though, human history shows that homosexuality isn’t necessarily an impediment to child birth - the Greeks and Romans were quite liberal about it, the women had children and female lovers if they wanted as did the men.

TLOU though takes our current sensibilities about sexual orientation and transports them to an apocalyptic scenario - a scenario where modern views of sexual orientation would lead to the downfall of the community. Dina is a somewhat more realistic character - she got pregnant and she also preferred to live a lesbian lifestyle.

Even that is an unrealistic outcome though - having dropped baby one, she would be trying to conceive the next one pretty quick so the “idyllic” lesbian relationship shown towards the end is a bit silly. I imagine when Ellie finally finds Dina and baby gone at the end, Dina is back with a guy somewhere and possibly pregnant again. In that world you’d need to conceive probably 5 or 6 children to have a decent chance of 2 of them surviving into their 20s and up.

Ellie isn’t useful in that society and at the end of the game she sets out by herself - she recognises her own uselessness to the community.

Oh, and Ellie will die too. She’ll die alone and childless judging by the story arc. Joel’s mistakes - not sacrificing her in TLOU 1 and then raising her to be a lesbian - will potentially be the downfall of humanity. He screwed up not once but twice.

GymWolf

The murder of the doctors, including Abby's father, was kinda unnecessary. Go back and watch that scene again. They were scared to death and represented no threat to a guy like Joel. Abby's dad raised a scalpel when he entered the room, but it was clear he was only trying to repel Joel. Instead of just taking Ellie and running away, or simply knocking the medics out and flying off, he proceeds to viciously murder all of them like some sort of rage-fueled savage animal.
Yeah it was a shitty move from joel but ellie is more mad about not being the savior of humanity than for some doctor getting killed i think.

ToadMan

I don't remember any bodybuilding scenes. She's a twiggy girl, then a big timeskip and she's Arnold's twin sister. They never go over her obtaining that physique, nor does she spend any time during the story maintaining it. Considering how many flashbacks are in the two games to explain exactly why people did what they did and how they became who they are today I find it strange they left that one out completely.

She looks like a powerlifter who never did any powerlifting. I mean, maybe she threw discus for the Soviets back in the 80s, who knows?

Uh you missed the part where they live in a sports arena outfitted with a full pro gym and then go into the canteen with piles of protein everywhere and outside to their domesticated animal production?

And perhaps you also missed the flashback dialog where Abby talks about her training regime and progress - and is notably less buff in that flashback too.

Of all the things about TLOU 2 that are unrealistic, Abby’s physique is about the least of them.

It’s less believable to me she would be allowed to do that and not get pregnant, but if they let Ellie be lesbian, Abby can be buff. The only difference is what muscles they choose to exercise on their down time.

Joel did wrong. In that 20 year gap between Sara dying & his meeting Ellie? Yeah, Joel did a lot wrong.

He didn't do wrong in saving Ellie though.

This is the part that always trips me up, whenever this tired debate rears it's ugly head yet again. The "Joel doomed humaniteee!!!!!" schtick.

Humanity had already doomed itself. As proven, conclusively, by the good guy Fireflies out here trying to "save humanity" by killing an innocent child.

There's no 2 ways about it. No moral justification whatsoever. Even if the cure was a 100% guarantee, killing an innocent child is still wrong. Saving the life of an innocent child is obviously, blatantly the right thing to do. If that dooms humanity, then fuck humanity. We don't deserve to be saved.

But that aside, Joel did a lot wrong & it's no surprise that he would die a brutal, shocking death in the world of The Last of Us.

SLB1904

Banned
I like when you white knights all forget that random_NPC_doctor(which nobody cared because he was...a random npc) mentioned that "all the sacrifices, all the wrong doing" would be fixed if they could bring a cure out of Ellie brain, even though theres no garantee and she isn't the first one.
Seems like someone cared about him, which was abby. Throwing white knight insults doesn't make any sense in this context dumb ass. No one is arguing if the cure was guaranteed or not. We talking about the fireflies motivations to cut ellie open.

GymWolf

For as long as she is able - that won’t be forever. There’s no social security, welfare or medical services in the TLOU world. When she is too unfit (as a result of injuries and poor nutrition) or simply too old to be useful, she becomes a consumer of resources and has not contributed children to her and the community’s future upkeep.

That’s what children are in “frontier” civilisations - insurance and investment for the future. Note how in our time the poorest countries have some of the highest birth rates and also the lowest welfare and support systems.

As for the scouting and resource gathering - that’s what men are for. They don’t suffer the debilitating physical effects of child bearing. A voluntarily infertile female is not as useful as a fertile one in that post-apocalyptic society. Ellie isn’t as useful as a male and she isn’t as useful as a child bearing woman if she chooses not to conceive.

Ellie is literally another mouth to feed who is less valueable than the others. She even says as much to Joel when she tells him he should have let the firefly doctor have her so her life would have meant something.

The murderous revenge rampage is Ellie coming to terms with her own uselessness in a world that needs people who can build. She can only destroy.

Beyond that though, human history shows that homosexuality isn’t necessarily an impediment to child birth - the Greeks and Romans were quite liberal about it, the women had children and female lovers if they wanted as did the men.

TLOU though takes our current sensibilities about sexual orientation and transports them to an apocalyptic scenario - a scenario where modern views of sexual orientation would lead to the downfall of the community. Dina is a somewhat more realistic character - she got pregnant and she also preferred to live a lesbian lifestyle.

Even that is an unrealistic outcome though - having dropped baby one, she would be trying to conceive the next one pretty quick so the “idyllic” lesbian relationship shown towards the end is a bit silly. I imagine when Ellie finally finds Dina and baby gone at the end, Dina is back with a guy somewhere and possibly pregnant again. In that world you’d need to conceive probably 5 or 6 children to have a decent chance of 2 of them surviving into their 20s and up.

Ellie isn’t useful in that society and at the end of the game she sets out by herself - she recognises her own uselessness to the community.

Oh, and Ellie will die too. She’ll die alone and childless judging by the story arc. Joel’s mistakes - not sacrificing her in TLOU 1 and then raising her to be a lesbian - will potentially be the downfall of humanity. He screwed up not once but twice.
Joel didn't raise her to be a lesbian, she was already a lesbian before tlou1, have you played the dlc?!

Saber

Gold Member
Seems like someone cared about him, which was abby. Throwing white knight insults doesn't make any sense in this context dumb ass. No one is arguing if the cure was guaranteed or not. We talking about the fireflies motivations to cut ellie open.

Of course does. You pretend to forget that the fireflies are all bad people that justify all killing and all the wrong doing by finding a cure. You so far didn't mentioned that. Motivations means shit if you have blood on their hands. But hey, won't gonna mention that because "cure".

assurdum

Banned
Video about ambiguity that then shits on the sequel. "yeah, good video and Joel was right"
What the fuck people, lmao.

Also, after having some distance from the second game, the sequel it's definitely better in every department and way more ambitious too.
First game ends with a façade of hope with dread under it and the second ends with a façade of dread with hope under it. Kinda poetic how all ties up.
Uh. No. Absolutely. With all respect. The story is stupid as hell. A think too many are blinded about the moralistic message behind it, but if we take just the subject and the single event, side by side, is incredibly absurd and full of contradictions. The first game has a more cohesive vision in the narrative structure, even the temporal line in the second is confusing as hell.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

And if it were "training" then everybody would look that way. Clearly there is something more to it. I don't know if you've ever tried to add muscle mass like that, but if you have you'll know that it isn't just a matter of "training".
I train every day and weight lift also did you miss the part where she gloated she benched 180, clearly theres a process and theres a time skip to when shes adult but there are bread crumbs along the way for her physique

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Uh. No. Absolutely. With all respect. The story is stupid as hell. A think too many are blinded about the moralistic message behind it, but if we take just the subject and the single event, side by side, is incredibly absurd and full of contradictions. The first game has a more cohesive vision in the narrative structure, even the temporal line in the second is confusing as hell.
The first one has the same missed story beats as the second one. Both games have great stories just pacing falls short sometimes

tassletine

I disagree, the ambiguity of Joel's decision depending of your POV it's reinforced in the sequel by the mere fact that Ellie learns to appreciate it too. The game misleads you at the start in how Ellie feels so your view of what happens changes with context towards the end. If anything, TLoU2 doubles downs on the style of the first game by picking up a theme as revenge and forgiveness and not giving you any easy answers.
I think that gets to the heart of the problem. For me at least Joel didn't need forgiving, so that felt forced.
LOU2 trampled over the ambiguity of the first games ending, instead jamming you inside the head of Ellie/Abby, which is something that wasn't expected. It's a very subjective game whereas the first was much more objective.

There's really nothing wrong with doing that. My main problem was that it was heavy handed with it's message, the message was trite and the game went on to long. Very good game though.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Tommy doesn't need to be close to kill her. That's why Yara would had to be very careful when getting closer.
He doesn't. She also doesn't need to be too stealthy when gun shots are far away. The problem is not the way it was written, it's your inability to understand how people can hear sound far away.

Top Bottom