• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part II ruined gaming for me

angrod14

Three years after its release, nothing has come close to the experience this game gave me. Nothing that is even in the same realm in terms of mechanics, gunplay, crafting, story, music, characters, art design, set pieces. And although many graphically impressive games have come out, neither of them were visually as impactful to me as Part II was. The moment I was riding with Joel in that intro through the country grass, I immediatly realized this game was going to be something else; and once I finished Abby Day 3, I knew that games like these come out once every decade or so.

Every single game that I have played since have felt dull, underwhelming, uninspiring, just not up that level. Part I was very good, but it feels so basic in level design and melee, and Abby Schwarzenegger is not in it. I thought RE 4 Remake was going to reignite the flame, but as much as I like the game, it just feels clunky and outdated to play when compared to Part II.

I can't even be excited anymore by new important releases (like Spidey 2, for example), because I know they won't be that special (hope to be proven wrong, though). So I keep coming back to Part II, playing it at least monthly, waiting for the day they confirm Part III and hopefuly, go for a game that is as bold and badass as the second entry was.

Hope they bring Abby BACK.

Guilty_AI

1592459727425.png

Minsc

Gold Member
Try to stop playing AAA games that tell a linear cinematic rollercoaster story like FF XVI and such, and find games you enjoy to play with no story at all or games where the story takes a huge backseat to the actual gameplay. Something like Civ/XCOM/RTS games etc. Where the actual gameplay is totally open for you to decide how to approach it and there's no big cycle of cutscene after cutscene etc.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
If Part II is “virtue signalling” (which it isn’t), it at least has a plethora of superb qualities going for it that really can’t be argued with. Visuals, sounds, gameplay, story, scope, design - you can dislike some, but absolutely not all of these.

Those people in this thread who inevitably come here just to inadvertently fragility-signal, on the other hand, offer nothing else to the conversation other than “I’m scared of strong women.” I really don’t understand why people are so desperate to offer up their fears to the world like that.

For me, I have no problem playing a great game and then a mediocre one. If I’m playing a game, it’s because of its merits - just enjoy what’s there.

Op, what's your favorite game since TLOU came out? I assume productions values and story are the biggest factors in you enjoying a game? I loved the game too, but it certainly didn't ruin gaming for me. There have been tons of great games since it came out. I assume you played Ragnarok? Elden Ring? So many more, we are drowning in great games. RDR2 is probably the closest thing to TLOU2 in terms of storytelling and production values and it came out two years before.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I mean it's in my Top 5 (I cheat to combine 1&2), but there are so many feelings to chase in other games. The wonder and freedom of No Man's Sky. The spectacle and adventure of FF16. The gonzo lyrical beauty of TOTK.

TLOU2 is an all-timer. But games can and do do so much more than stealth action and revenge stories, even if the production values in Part II are truly unique.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Took 3 years. People are finally starting to 180. TLOU Part II was a massive risk taker to potentially self sabotage a massively successful surface level narrative IP and went the FUCK IN with polarising results... I think it paid off myself.

I actively have in my mind I wish to replay it. I've replayed the first game before on a whim but not a desire.

I wish there was more Abby merch.

Returnal ruined other games for me for like 3 months straight so I get it.

And yea, TLoU2 is fucking great and I wasn't even a big fan of the first one. Or maybe that's why I like it so much, I wasn't invested in the story.

bender

What time is it?
One of my favorite games of all-time.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
kanye-west.gif

What's the saying, "It would be a story worth telling if it weren't extraordinary"? The road trip nature of of TLOU2 breaks my suspension of disbelief. Look how many allies fell in TLOU during their journey and then compare that to the first few moments of TLOU2 (Abby and crew go from Seattle to Wyoming then back to Seattle, Tommy goes from Wyoming to Seattle, Ellie and Dina do the same a day later, Jesse does the same separate from Ellie and Dina). Not only do they all make their destinations unscathed, they all are able to find each other. It's counter to the dangers we saw in the original, becomes laughably not plausible, and really makes you question the intelligence of these "survivors". And that doesn't even take into account all the road trips in the game (Ellie going back to Utah, then Joel shortly after, or the final sequence with Abby and Lev going to Cali and then Tommy sending Ellie to Cali, and then Ellie returning to Wyoming once she realizes revenge is wrong (if any game embodies ludonarrative dissonance, the folly of revenge in TLOU2 is it). All these idiots should be dead for the amount of pointless cross country treks they took.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Three years after its release, nothing has come close to the experience this game gave me. Nothing that is even in the same realm in terms of mechanics, gunplay, crafting, story, music, characters, art design, set pieces. And although many graphically impressive games have come out, neither of them were visually as impactful to me as Part II was. The moment I was riding with Joel in that intro through the country grass, I immediatly realized this game was going to be something else; and once I finished Abby Day 3, I knew that games like these come out once every decade or so.

Every single game that I have played since have felt dull, underwhelming, uninspiring, just not up that level. Part I was very good, but it feels so basic in level design and melee, and Abby Schwarzenegger is not in it. I thought RE 4 Remake was going to reignite the flame, but as much as I like the game, it just feels clunky and outdated to play when compared to Part II.

I can't even be excited anymore by new important releases (like Spidey 2, for example), because I know they won't be that special (hope to be proven wrong, though). So I keep coming back to Part II, playing it at least monthly, waiting for the day they confirm Part III and hopefuly, go for a game that is as bold and badass as the second entry was.

Hope they bring Abby BACK.
100% agreed.

The most special gift to the medium since MGS2.

Give it another 10 years and maybe we'll have another to join the club.

violence

I may play part II again. If I do I will skip the cutscenes. It may feel like less of a slog since I know the motions.

Last edited:

angrod14

Op, what's your favorite game since TLOU came out? I assume productions values and story are the biggest factors in you enjoying a game? I loved the game too, but it certainly didn't ruin gaming for me. There have been tons of great games since it came out. I assume you played Ragnarok? Elden Ring? So many more, we are drowning in great games. RDR2 is probably the closest thing to TLOU2 in terms of storytelling and production values and it came out two years before.
Probably RE4 Remake. I loved that, but it didn't really scratch the itch. It isn't as fun to replay for me as Part II. Ragnarok was very good too, altough I enjoyed the 2018 entry far more.

Elden Ring is on my wish list, but I plan on going through all the Souls games before that.

Sanepar

I know what u mean. Sony is on their league in terms of sp adventures. Only Sony, Rockstar and CDPR(Witcher 3) delivery this quality for sp games.

What's the saying, "It would be a story worth telling if it weren't extraordinary"? The road trip nature of of TLOU2 breaks my suspension of disbelief. Look how many allies fell in TLOU during their journey and then compare that to the first few moments of TLOU2 (Abby and crew go from Seattle to Wyoming then back to Seattle, Tommy goes from Wyoming to Seattle, Ellie and Dina do the same a day later, Jesse does the same separate from Ellie and Dina). Not only do they all make their destinations unscathed, they all are able to find each other. It's counter to the dangers we saw in the original, becomes laughably not plausible, and really makes you question the intelligence of these "survivors". And that doesn't even take into account all the road trips in the game (Ellie going back to Utah, then Joel shortly after, or the final sequence with Abby and Lev going to Cali and then Tommy sending Ellie to Cali, and then Ellie returning to Wyoming once she realizes revenge is wrong (if any game embodies ludonarrative dissonance, the folly of revenge is TLOU2 is it). All these idiots should be dead for the amount of pointless cross country treks they took.
just one example of why, when people refer to how 'realistic' the last of us 2 is, i'm not really sure they truly understand/appreciate what exactly 'reality' is...

Winter John

Gold Member
I said this before but I had hoped ND would have gotten rid of the zombies in part 2. I don’t think the game needs them. My only other criticism is the A.I was just as bad as the first one despite ND claiming they’d improved it.

Top Bottom