• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's next big single player game is not The Last of Us: Part 3.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
That TLoU 3 was not going to be the next ND game was known (as much as these things can be). But that TLoU 3 isn’t even in pre-production is surprising. They would need to get started pretty damn soon, I’d think, if they want to get something of that scope out by the end of the gen.

They must have people working on more than one project though. There’s one original IP, but no TLoU and a team that was working on Fsctions sitting around twiddling their thumbs. They have plans for a smaller, Miles Morales (or Lost Legscy)-style Tommy-focused game, but that’s not the focus according to Druckman. Maybe we will get that non-Nathan-Drake Uncharted mini-AAA?

Day one for whatever the fuck they put out, of course.

Woggleman

I just hope it is a dark and gritty type of game instead of a Jak and Dexter type. I always thought that TLOU 2 style combat would fit well in a futuristic Cyberpunk type of game.

As far as I can tell both games are in development and new IP will be first.

I know Neil said part 3 only recently got a story outline but that doesn't tally with Naughty Dog saying they have multiple single player games in development.

Unless they have two games coming before Part 3 but I doubt that's the case.

Hopefully new IP by 2026 and Part 3 2028 or 2029

T4keD0wN

If they make a Warhammer game i will turn half of my garage into a shrine dedicated to worshipping Neil Druckmann.
Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
I think I heard they were working on a sex working game mostly involving tranny "lesbians". It's supposed to have a lot of dong, especially for a lesbo game.
Meh, hopefully it's not another fucking uncharted with the non-binary daughter.
Sometimes I wish NaughtyDog did a AAAA game like these brain dead takes say. Just to get over it.

Which basically would be a create your own character like Elden Ring or Cyberpunk did. Male looking character with female parts. Or the other way around. Jokes.

Brock2621

Sweet baby Moses thank the Lord. We are burnt out of Last of Us and their “bigot sandwiches” 🥪

Give us a dope fantasy or platformer

EDMIX

lol we know.

The next game by ND would be the one thats been in development since the release of Uncharted 4 by their other team.... why the fuck would The Last Of Us 3 come out before it?

yurinka

When they cancelled TLOU3 talked about MULTIPLE (more than one) brand new SP games under development. So I assume they could be Uncharted, a new IP or maybe The Punisher (once was asked in an interview about which IP he'd like to adapt to games if he had to choose one and he said The Punisher (I'd buy that).

I like to see he mentioned he had a small post TLOUP2 idea about Tommy. Let's hope this time Tommy and Ellie remember together stories with Joel in playable flashbacks and focus again on the relationship between these characters insted of in woke tokenism. And well, if someone at ND read this please let Ellie cut Abby's head with a chainsaw in the announcement trailer + intro of TLOU3, please.

Sad news, so lou3 likee 2030 ? :messenger_persevering:
Minimum

Last edited:
When they cancelled TLOU3 talked about MULTIPLE (more than one) brand new SP games under development. So I assume they could be Uncharted, a new IP or maybe The Punisher (once was asked in an interview about which IP he'd like to adapt to games if he had to choose one and he said The Punisher (I'd buy that).

I like to see he mentioned he had a small post TLOUP2 idea about Tommy. Let's hope this time Tommy and Ellie remember together stories with Joel in playable flashbacks and focus again on the relationship between these characters insted of in woke tokenism.

Minimum

2030 won't work for the show timeline and Neil said he won't let the show go ahead of the games.

I'd say they are aiming for 2028/2029.

I think it's been in development longer than he is letting on but just keeping cards close to his chest so they can try avoid crunch and any delays will be internal ones.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ah, the incredibly trustworthy Naughty Dog, who never lie about anything, and certainly wouldn't replace one character model with another one in a trailer for their upcoming AAA game that bare face lies about the game's content.

Looking forward to their brand new IP! TLOU3.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If they make a Warhammer game i will turn half of my garage into a shrine dedicated to worshipping Neil Druckmann.
Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

Oh God, no.

They are absolutely the wrong studio for Warhammer - for what should be blindingly obvious reasons.

Old Rocksteady would have been the perfect place for Warhammer. OLD Rocksteady. Now I have no idea who should have it. I guess we'll have to see how good Space Marine 2 is.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
That TLoU 3 was not going to be the next ND game was known (as much as these things can be). But that TLoU 3 isn’t even in pre-production is surprising. They would need to get started pretty damn soon, I’d think, if they want to get something of that scope out by the end of the gen.
It is in pre production at minimum. this quote we saw today was from April 2023.

The most recent update we got he said theres Two major SP games in development.

Heres my bet. New IP next year, fall 2025. (announced this summer)

TLOU 3, Fall 2028.

Which also happens to be right around when we expect the gen to end, according to Insomniac leaks.

Last edited:
As long as they don’t have a big layoff, whatever. Still can’t believe they wasted all the time and effort on Factions. Who’s the moron who green lit that, only to say it wasn’t their thing, years later? Moron clearly shouldn’t be in a leadership role.

yurinka

2030 won't work for the show timeline and Neil said he won't let the show go ahead of the games.

I'd say they are aiming for 2028/2029.

I think it's been in development longer than he is letting on but just keeping cards close to his chest so they can try avoid crunch and any delays will be internal ones.
TLOU 3, Fall 2028.

Obviously TLOU3 won't be at all on time for the tv show, and they won't give a fuck because it already is super successful and won't need help from games. They may be completing preproduction of the game once the last (3rd) season gets aired (I think season 2 will be mostly mained by Abby and season 3 will be Ellie's part of TLOU2).

And no, TLOU3 won't be ready in 4 or 5 years. Every generation they take more time, and now they are avoiding crunch and having 2 or 3 games -which as usual will take them more work than expected- at the same time, plus smaller external stuff.

I'd say a smaller "Uncharted without white male protagonist 2" for 2026, new IP for 2028 and TLOU3 for 2030 minimum.

Last edited:
Obviously TLOU3 won't be at all on time for the tv show, and they won't give a fuck because it already is super successful and won't need help from games. They may be completing preproduction of the game once the last (3rd) season gets aired (I think season 2 will be mostly mained by Abby and season 3 will be Ellie's part of TLOU2).

And no, TLOU3 won't be ready in 4 or 5 years. Every generation they take more time, and now they are avoiding crunch and having 2 or 3 games -which as usual will take them more work than expected- at the same time, plus smaller external stuff.

I'd say a smaller "Uncharted without white male protagonist 2" for 2026, new IP for 2028 and TLOU3 for 2030 minimum.

Well I don't think they are making Uncharted and a new IP.

I think it's just New IP and TLOU 3 that are in production so if that's the case that potentially pushes the New IP into 2026.

So really the only difference in our estimates is how many games are releasing before Part 3.

If 1 the late 2020s are possible. If 2 then thats not possible as you said.

Last edited:
It is in pre production at minimum. this quote we saw today was from April 2023.

The most recent update we got he said theres Two major SP games in development.

Heres my bet. New IP next year, fall 2025.

TLOU 3, Fall 2028.

Which also happens to be right around when we expect the gen to end, according to Insomniac leaks.
Yeah that's my guess too on what they are aiming for. Should be doable if they can stick to a two or more team structure.

WitchHunter

Banned
Just make a donkey simulator. The Last of Us: Donkey
It will sell 5 millions easy. It should tell the story of an abandoned pet donkey that now has to fetch its own food, avoid humans, and get a gas mask against the spores. There should be a donkey mounted minigun in the game, but of course the donkey would refuse to activate it. You have to find the earmuffs first.

3 different hee haws, biting and kicking combos against humans, rock climbing, befriending white mountain goats, bringing stowaway cats on your back in exchange for extra motion sense. you can send the cats forth to lure humans out, then bam, kick to the head.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
As much as I want to play TLOUIII as soon as possible, I think that after what the team have been through during development of TLOUII, it's only a good thing that they want to move on from such a development nightmare and fix work-life balance issues. I hope we'll get to play TLOUIII one day and a new IP for the time being is welcome! They need to kickstart something new and pass the baton to it, just like TLOU did back in the day. I mean, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy were released after TLOU, but clearly that's were it ends, for ND at least.

I just hope this new IP won't be GaaS multiplayer / co-op BS nobody asked for.

Yoboman

I'm almost certain it'll be a Souls-like. Neil LOVES From's games. They even said they were messing around with that kinda design for Part II in the documentary, but scaled it back because it didn't fit TLOU.
It can't be understated how close this is sounding to my dream game

A Soulslike game with true industry leading production values that only a Naughty Dog or Rockstar could do
Mature and well integrated storyline not hidden behind item descriptions
Naughty Dog take on fantasy
Reactive NPCs and enemies like TLOU2
Motion matching based melee combat system building off the excellent movement mechanics in TLOU2

Just throw in branching storylines, a morality system and Mass Effect ste dialogue options with the quality of ND cutscenes and I will be complete

Yes this will never happen but I can dream

Yoboman

As much as I want to play TLOUIII as soon as possible, I think that after what the team have been through during development of TLOUII, it's only a good thing that they want to move on from such a development nightmare and fix work-life balance issues. I hope we'll get to play TLOUIII one day and a new IP for the time being is welcome! They need to kickstart something new and pass the baton to it, just like TLOU did back in the day. I mean, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy were released after TLOU, but clearly that's were it ends, for ND at least.

I just hope this new IP won't be GaaS multiplayer / co-op BS nobody asked for.
They still have a multiplayer team there. They will hopefully just be reintegrated into making MP modes to the single player games rather than chasing the GAAS lottery

tommib

Just make a donkey simulator. The Last of Us: Donkey
It will sell 5 millions easy. It should tell the story of an abandoned pet donkey that now has to fetch its own food, avoid humans, and get a gas mask against the spores. There should be a donkey mounted minigun in the game, but of course the donkey would refuse to activate it. You have to find the earmuffs first.

3 different hee haws, biting and kicking combos against humans, rock climbing, befriending white mountain goats, bringing stowaway cats on your back in exchange for extra motion sense. you can send the cats forth to lure humans out, then bam, kick to the head.

Perrott

Gold Member
lol we know.

The next game by ND would be the one thats been in development since the release of Uncharted 4 by their other team.... why the fuck would The Last Of Us 3 come out before it?
What other team are you talking about? The studio was all hands on deck for the full production of The Last Of Us Part II following the completion of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in August 2017, of which one of it's co-directors became one of Part II's co-game directors and the other left ND to lead the singleplayer campaign for Marvel's Avengers. Then after the studio was done with Part II, most developers went on to work on the remake, a separate team was set up for The Last Of Us Online and only then Neil & his skeleton crew began exploring their next project, which didn't turn out to be the spin-off game with Tommy but something else, very likely a new IP.

So their next game has been in the works for around three years by now, certainly not the nearly eight years that have passed since the release of Uncharted 4.

EDMIX

The studio was all hands on deck for the full production of The Last Of Us Part II following the completion of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in August 2017
That half of that team likely started the new IP following the release of The Last Of Us 2
Then after the studio was done with Part II, most developers went on to work on the remake
Thats also not correct btw

Most teams do not have the majority working on remakes.

https://www.gamesradar.com/naughty-...e-other-projects-are-still-in-pre-production/

So this means Sony Bend and some of Naughty Dog worked on that remake, the rest of their team was working on pre-production of something else.

So its likely they still have 2 teams and its more then likely that the next game to release as a new IP, is the one that they've been working for some time.

The rumor about their new IP btw dates back to even before The Last Of Us 2's release. Which means, just like RDR2, working on a game, doesn't mean a team doesn't have another portion working on another title like we see with GTAVI or something. So chances are, their next game is that new IP as its doubtful 100% of their team has just be working on The Last Of Us 2, I don't see enough to support that.

Top Bottom