• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin director wants next game to ‘achieve things we weren’t able to this time’

Draugoth

Gold Member
Rise-of-the-Ronin-6-1440x810.jpg

The director of Rise of the Ronin says he wants to see Team Ninja‘s next game accomplish things that couldn’t be managed this time around.

Before the PS5 exclusive’s release last week, Fumihiko Yasuda and producer Yosuke Hayashi spoke to VGC about its development and the lessons it had taken from the experience.

“Until now, we’ve been creating games based on Ninjas and Samurais,” he told us. “We wanted to create a game that has a sense of freedom as well as a rich story.

“For this title, we decided on the concept of Ronin. We wanted players to become a Ronin, explore an open world and be able to affect the story. Of course, we have established a foundation with our action combat systems.”
“Rise of the Ronin was a big challenge for us, because it’s something we hadn’t done up until now in terms of the level of freedom and the story while retaining the action gameplay. I believe we were able to realise the concept, and I’m hoping that as players get their hands on the game, they’ll be able to experience it as we originally envisioned it.

“I think going forward, our challenge is to build from that and perhaps achieve things we weren’t able to do this time, and continue to build from there.”
via VGC

Is it really that bad?
Haven't spent a lot of time on it, but my first impressions were that the game felt much less polished than Wo Long or even Nioh 1.

I'm sure the game doesn't suck, but going from the tight and fluid combat in Wo Long to how it feels in Rise of the Ronin was disappointing.
I'm definitely still planning on giving it a proper chance after clearing the Wo Long dlc's. Perhaps the co-op and story will redeem it.

Rise of the Ronin is a very good game(10hrs in). But it is clear Team Ninja made this game with one arm tied behind their back. Their game engine(Katana) just can't process open worlds correctly. If given the proper resources, Team Ninja would be considered a top 10 studio. But they are stuck with limited budgets and pumping out games on a yearly basis on an antique game engine. It's really annoying as a big fan of theirs

Having said that, Ronin is well worth buying for people on the fence. The games combat and setting is really great. Don't see how Assassin's Creed or Soul's RPG fans wouldn't like it. 50+hrs of content. It will most likely be my GOTY

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Rise-of-the-Ronin-6-1440x810.jpg

The director of Rise of the Ronin says he wants to see Team Ninja‘s next game accomplish things that couldn’t be managed this time around.

Before the PS5 exclusive’s release last week, Fumihiko Yasuda and producer Yosuke Hayashi spoke to VGC about its development and the lessons it had taken from the experience.

via VGC
TLDR....we need to improve horse running animation.....

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Game is my current front runner for GOTY.

I’m sure that will change but I haven’t liked a single title of theirs after ninja gaiden franchise. This is a good game and not deserving of the lower scores it got.

I still wish they would just make a NG4, or even attempt a NG1 remake.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn’t even realize this came out. Is it really that bad?
No it's not bad, it's just typical knee jerk reactions during launch week, and 99% of the negativity is from people who haven't even played the game.

Most comments online and in the OT are people describing how much fun they're having with the game. It's minimal technical issues and graphical benchmarks that are triggering people. Game isn't mind blowing by any means but it's damn fun and the visuals are truly fantastic at times.

GvxxVgB.jpg

SkGekWl.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

No it's not bad, it's just typical knee jerk reactions during launch week, and 99% of the negativity is from people who haven't even played the game.

Most comments online and in the OT are people describing how much fun they're having with the game. It's minimal technical issues and graphical benchmarks that are triggering people. Game isn't mind blowing by any means but it's damn fun and the visuals are truly fantastic at times.

GvxxVgB.jpg

SkGekWl.jpg
Ko2l6Xc.gif

Svejk

I need to see if someone made a Ghost of Tsushima vs Rise of the Ronin comparison: Who does it better, type of thing.
Definitely interested in this, but found GoT very safe, and just generally OK.

YukiOnna

Looking forward to what they do in a sequel, or a Sengoku Era, Heian, whatever open world. Loving my time with it and they have a great foundation.

I think they nailed the immersion, too.

//DEVIL//

You could have put it in this game. Instead of pretending to be a visionary and your game is just hitting the market.

Just pray the game doesn't flop and u get fired

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Im not a graphics whore by any means .. give me locked 60 fps and acceptable graphics and Im good... but calling this fantastic ? Damn ...
🤷 It hits when it hits.

Game will go on sale, people will buy it and be shocked at how fun it is. Same people will then cry rivers whenever next game releases and the internet tells them it's bad. It's the same thing every time.

6qUO163.jpg

w61dYXi.jpg

YLg1OQq.jpg

Seems like a fairly basic run-of-the-mill open world game, layered underneath a really cool samurai action RPG. I think with more time and expertise building an open-world game, they could deliver something pretty special next time.

Crownttano

Took some days to get into it, was honestly preferring Wo Long combat
But when I started taking full advantage of Panic, it was making more sense to me
I'm still on Chapter 1 Twilight
Wish the open world had co op tho

I miss those damn Nioh Tonfa GunSticks 😢 dlc plz

Bernardougf

Gold Member
🤷 It hits when it hits.

Game will go on sale, people will buy it and be shocked at how fun it is. Same people will then cry rivers whenever next game releases and the internet tells them it's bad. It's the same thing every time.

6qUO163.jpg

w61dYXi.jpg

YLg1OQq.jpg
I really dont give two shits about graphics .. really dont...as long as is passible.. the problem is the bad perfomance on top ... thats inexcusable....but to be true the "open world" aspect just put me off this game and I love team ninja... but cant support the bloatness off modern open world...

Ninja Gaiden Black still looks fantastic today.. I don't know wtf happened with this game it seriously looks like an early gen PS3 game with worse resolution and can't hold a framerate.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

GvxxVgB.jpg

SkGekWl.jpg

Wow that looks amazing, a normal consumer would say in 2014.

Top Bottom