• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of The Ronin | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Rise of the Ronin will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 38 14.1%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 75 27.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 96-100%

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Kamina

Golden Boy
Reviewers like IGN, Gamespot, GamesRadar, saying its fun and want to play more, but it brings nothing new to the genre. So I aspect from now on, every game has to bring something new to the table or its a 7….
That is really just a case of “it didn’t click with me as comparable games do, and I can’t put my finger on it, but i need a reason to lower the score.”

Last edited:
Played for 5hrs and it's fun
Don't care if every reviewer calls team ninja games bland and ugly, to me they're top 10 studio and keeping real action genre alive
Wholeheartedly agree. I just wish they gave their games longer to cook. If they had half the time and budget of most other AAA studios, they would easily be thought of as a top 10 studio. Instead, they are releasing games annually, which just waters down how great they can be as a studio.

And they need to move off Katana game engine, especially if they want to make more open world games

NT80

Sekiro is my gold standard for sword combat. At the moment (about 12 hours in), I think Rise of the Ronin very much captures a similar feeling for me, if maybe not to quite the same level of polish as FROM (animations and attack choreography, in particular).

Yeah, the reviews really have me scratching my head, especially when so many of the criticisms could be leveraged at a lot of the games it gets compared to. I love Ghost of Tsushima, but this game already has managed to beat out when it comes to combat.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well Team Ninja delivered on their first attempt at an open world city (Edo/Tokyo). Ghost had virtually no large towns to speak of, barring maybe Komatsu Forge.

There's so many positive things here that I would argue largely outweigh the negatives (AC checklists, bandit camps, map markers).
Haven't played ROR yet but I really like Sekiro. This game seems to give you way more unique weapons. Looks like it may even exceed Nioh 2 though I don't know if there are as many moves and stances per weapon. I especially like the fact that Western weapons are included.

StereoVsn

I completely forgot this game isn’t on Steam/PC. Didn’t see a PS+ demo either.

Right now I got way too many games to play, but I will grab it in a few months as fellow gaffers impressions here are a lot more positive than I would have expected. No Steam release so no Steam reviews unfortunately.

mcjmetroid

Team Ninja games everytime are so close to greatness but always bottle it in nearly one area.

I enjoy them to a point but never end up finishing them like I do with the souls games.

Also want to point out that the soundtrack is really, really good! Especially in Yokohama the music reminds me of Novigrad in Witcher 3.

Just discovered it was done by Inon Zur, famous composer for Fallout, Starfield and Dragon's Age.
Strongly agree with this. I keep finding myself humming the Yokohama theme while doing chores around the house. Very atmospheric stuff.

Raven117

Also want to point out that the soundtrack is really, really good! Especially in Yokohama the music reminds me of Novigrad in Witcher 3.

Just discovered it was done by Inon Zur, famous composer for Fallout, Starfield and Dragon's Age.
This right here is enough for a playthrough

fart town usa

Gold Member
As someone who generally dislikes open world games, Ronin made me realize that it's not the open world/Ubisoft bloat that I disliked, the real villain is that some open world games are just boring as F.

The gameplay loop, traversal, and combat in Ronin is so great. So much fun to just race around and do side content. Always something useful to find and the gear drops are crazy. I expect some big difficulty spikes but so far it's been totally manageable. I've died a few times but always from my own fault and 2nd time has always been successful.

The combat is incredibly deep, it's pretty amazing how many options you have.

octos

Neo Member
Team Ninja games everytime are so close to greatness but always bottle it in nearly one area.

I enjoy them to a point but never end up finishing them like I do with the souls games.
How about Ninja Gaiden Black and Nioh 2? Like, what's wrong with them? I think those are TN's 2 masterpieces.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
TjrVwA9.jpg

It was also a pos port. This one looks even worse. Be delusional as much as u want.
It's the "critics give 10 points higher for every game" part. By your Dumb ass logic there is no such thing as even a 9/10 game

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not to say I told you so, but I told you so...

I was skeptical since the first trailer dropped and nothing I've seen made me think better of the game.

Over the weekend, I played about 4 hours of Dragon's Dogma 2 and 4 hours of Rise of the Ronin. I much prefer Rise of the Ronin. The gameplay is more fun, the exploration is more rewarding, and I much prefer the traversal. Getting a horse and a glider early on is awesome.

I am wondering why Dragon's Dogma is getting so much praise....? It looks really boring to me.

digdug2

I am wondering why Dragon's Dogma is getting so much praise....? It looks really boring to me.
I honestly think it's because fans have been clamoring for a sequel for over a decade now. I was one of those fans... but I wasn't expecting the game be a nearly 100% rehash of the original.

The Pawns are just as stupid and annoying as in the original, it runs exceptionally shitty for a 2024 Capcom game (it was expected to run poorly on PS3/X360 due to the sheer magnitude of the game), and the combat kind of sucks. Maybe it's only because I'm a few hours into it, but it doesn't feel like my attacks have any weight. And yes, the From Software/Team Ninja combat systems may have ruined it for me, but I am really disappointed that there is no dedicated 'dodge' button.

Not to say I told you so, but I told you so...

I was skeptical since the first trailer dropped and nothing I've seen made me think better of the game.
Dude... what? 😅

The last couple of pages is filled with a bunch posts from people voicing their disagreement with the review scores. Let's be reasonable, the game isn't mind-blowing, but definitely deserving of at least low-to-mid 80s.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It’s even more boring the more you play it. Made it 7 hours before tapping out.

Ronin just keeps laying on more systems, more fun things to do, and the combat keeps growing to be better and better.

You can tell team ninja poured their best into this game.

Arsic

So it's a Souls clone with a far worse overworld you can't traverse well, and janky/clunky combat instead?

I don't see what Dragon's Dogma is doing new that other games haven't
If I was a souls fan told to play DD2 because the combat is same or similar, then booted it up, I would be livid.

It has hands down the most dull combat of any game I’ve played in 10+ years. It’s mindless sludge. Maybe one or two classes isn’t this way, but imagine firing up Monster Hunter for example and having to play a class you don’t want for hours upon hours until the game lets you play a class you like.

People can enjoy DD2. They waited long enough. It’s not for me, and it’s absolutely overhyped. It’s a 5/10 for me. If it had a better weight inventory system from the jump, access to all classes right away but not their full skill tree or something to keep progression a thing, and just had better combat in general I’d be all over it. The devil may cry team is certainly capable of FAR better combat. DMC5 is proof of that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So it's a Souls clone with a far worse overworld you can't traverse well, and janky/clunky combat instead?

I don't see what Dragon's Dogma is doing new that other games haven't
I feel like DD2 share its DNA to Monster Hunter rather than Souls game....You guys need stop comparing everything to souls game.

Last edited:
If I was a souls fan told to play DD2 because the combat is same or similar, then booted it up, I would be livid.

It has hands down the most dull combat of any game I’ve played in 10+ years. It’s mindless sludge. Maybe one or two classes isn’t this way, but imagine firing up Monster Hunter for example and having to play a class you don’t want for hours upon hours until the game lets you play a class you like.

People can enjoy DD2. They waited long enough. It’s not for me, and it’s absolutely overhyped. It’s a 5/10 for me. If it had a better weight inventory system from the jump, access to all classes right away but not their full skill tree or something to keep progression a thing, and just had better combat in general I’d be all over it. The devil may cry team is certainly capable of FAR better combat. DMC5 is proof of that.

I hate to have to admit this but I'm disappointed by the combat too. I was once again blinded by my hype and now I'm left with a very pretty game with horrible framerate on PS5. I'm very early so I'm hoping things will improve ...after all guys like Fighting Cowboy loved it, right.....? Lol seriously tho he usually knows good combat. ACG liked it too as did others who usually can be trusted.

Here's some things that disappoint me so far. 1. Game starts out pathetically easy! This lack of challenge is becoming the bane of my existence lately when it comes to ..of all things Japanese games. It's like they all jumped on the trend a couple years ago that "making a game easier is good game design since more people will finish it!" Or something. Sucks when there's no challenge or smooth difficulty curve! Does this get better??
2. The character movement is a little wonky and lacks weight- some goofy animations such as whenever you jump off a ledge your characters body falls as if he's doing a belly flop only to magically land on his feet at the last second.

Arsic

I hate to have to admit this but I'm disappointed by the combat too. I was once again blinded by my hype and now I'm left with a very pretty game with horrible framerate on PS5. I'm very early so I'm hoping things will improve ...after all guys like Fighting Cowboy loved it, right.....? Lol seriously tho he usually knows good combat. ACG liked it too as did others who usually can be trusted.

Here's some things that disappoint me so far. 1. Game starts out pathetically easy! This lack of challenge is becoming the bane of my existence lately when it comes to ..of all things Japanese games. It's like they all jumped on the trend a couple years ago that "making a game easier is good game design since more people will finish it!" Or something. Sucks when there's no challenge or smooth difficulty curve! Does this get better??
2. The character movement is a little wonky and lacks weight- some goofy animations such as whenever you jump off a ledge your characters body falls as if he's doing a belly flop only to magically land on his feet at the last second.
Unsure who either of those people are but most content creators opinions shouldn’t be impairing your judgement. Ever. They do not interact with a game like you do. Some will toss a game off a cliff because it doesn’t get them views , or because it isn’t something they can play and do at the same time.

I’ll be honest if you follow my post history I thought ronin was going to be total ass. I am beyond surprised that it’s Currently my GOTY.

TheKratos

I'm pleasantly surprised by the game. After playing DD2 a lot, I tried Ronin and immediately loved it. To be fair I played like first 5 to 10 hours of DD2 as Warrior with clunky ass Greatsword (I expected Monster Hunter powaaaah) then switched to Thief/Dual blades which makes it a tototally different game.

I love the simplicity of Ronin, especially the parry system which I feel is a must in melee games. Great setting too.

SJRB

Gold Member
Kinda agree with Lance here in that I'm not sure what went wrong with promoting this game, but they missed a couple of beats for sure. Can't tell what they should've done differently but something about it was just off.

Probably doesn't help that there's a world of difference between watching footage of this game and actually playing it yourself.

And yeah, the outfit and character customization is insanely in depth and can be changed at any moment at the Longhouse. Pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda agree with Lance here in that I'm not sure what went wrong with promoting this game, but they missed a couple of beats for sure. Can't tell what they should've done differently but something about it was just off.

Probably doesn't help that there's a world of difference between watching footage of this game and actually playing it yourself.

And yeah, the outfit and character customization is insanely in depth and can be changed at any moment at the Longhouse. Pretty crazy.

TN's character stuff has been really good since Nioh 2. Models are very detailed and customizable and in-game use a surprisingly large proportion of the render budget, so you can always see the work you put in creating your character whether its during gameplay or in a cut-scene.

Its why I've always defended their tech and art, its actually way better than its generally thought of.

Another thing I'd say particularly about how they do environments/textures is that part of their house style seems to revolve around the idea that they are typically going to colour everything on screen with strong lighting/filtering. Its why their texture work often looks a bit washed-out in "normal" scenes, but looks way better when everything is washed with a strong tint, like the golden sunset condition in Nioh, or a strong midnight blue in other areas.

Arsic

I thought about this yesterday. How could they have articulated better what this game is to get more sales?

First off their clear issue is launching same day as DD2. Dumb move.

Second, a demo for the first 5 hours or so carrying over progression could’ve helped.

Third, a video series with each focused on some of the games best bits:
- A video on combat. All of the features. There is SO many layers.
-Showing off transmog, equipment, and various skill trees.
-Discussing the 3 options for difficulty to tailor fit to various enthusiasts. The story, characters, and how choice plays a role.
-Doing one of the strong hold missions in co-op to illustrate stealth, combos, reviving, etc.

I think people thought it was going to be open world Nioh 3 with ugly graphics and performance. None of which is true.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's a good game and the previews/graphics/horse animation dog piling is typical brain dead knee jerk reaction nonsense.

It's just a fun vidyagame with good combat, fun traversal, and a seemingly deep story. I've been doing all the side content because the game can be quite brutal and I want to be as OP as I can.

Arsic

It's a good game and the previews/graphics/horse animation dog piling is typical brain dead knee jerk reaction nonsense.

It's just a fun vidyagame with good combat, fun traversal, and a seemingly deep story. I've been doing all the side content because the game can be quite brutal and I want to be as OP as I can.
I’m level 11, and the last story mission was level 3. It was the second stronghold. I set it max difficulty and open lobby, and the boss there was still clapping cheeks no issues.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny, the transmog stuff has been in all their games going back to Nioh. You could play as any major NPC in the game after buying the skin (with in-game currency) from the tea-house.
Its kind of a standard from this team.

SJRB

Gold Member
I thought about this yesterday. How could they have articulated better what this game is to get more sales?

First off their clear issue is launching same day as DD2. Dumb move.

Second, a demo for the first 5 hours or so carrying over progression could’ve helped.

Third, a video series with each focused on some of the games best bits:
- A video on combat. All of the features. There is SO many layers.
-Showing off transmog, equipment, and various skill trees.
-Discussing the 3 options for difficulty to tailor fit to various enthusiasts. The story, characters, and how choice plays a role.
-Doing one of the strong hold missions in co-op to illustrate stealth, combos, reviving, etc.

I think people thought it was going to be open world Nioh 3 with ugly graphics and performance. None of which is true.

Even the game itself does a pretty poor job explaining the combat mechanics.

At the start it literally says "pick two weapons" and you have no idea what difference they make or how some weapons are more or less effective against certain types of enemies. There's a weird multi-layered rock-paper-scissor mechanic going on with certain weapons but also with the combat arts of those specific weapons. The game gives a little prompt later in the game explaining this in three sentences but that's pretty much it.

I can't really discover a logic behind this mechanic, it seems kind of random. Ghost of Tsushima was extremely straightforward with its stances against specific enemy types, but here there's so much going on. Also switching not only weapon but also between combat stances on the fly in the middle of a hectic battle just sucks because you need to take your eye away from the enemy and look at the little menu thingy showing arrows going up or down. It should've been a slow-motion effect while you switch stances.

The game really needs a dojo or something like Hanbei the Undying from Sekiro where you can train and learn mechanics and game systems.

Last edited:

Arsic

Even the game itself does a pretty poor job explaining the combat mechanics.

At the start it literally says "pick two weapons" and you have no idea what difference they make or how some weapons are more or less effective against certain types of enemies. There's a weird multi-layered rock-paper-scissor mechanic going on with certain weapons but also with the combat arts of those specific weapons. The game gives a little prompt later in the game explaining this in three sentences but that's pretty much it.

I can't really discover a logic behind this mechanic, it seems kind of random. Ghost of Tsushima was extremely straightforward with its stances against specific enemy types, but here there's so much going on. Also switching not only weapon but also between combat stances on the fly in the middle of a hectic battle just sucks because you need to take your eye away from the enemy and look at the little menu thingy showing arrows going up or down. It should've been a slow-motion effect while you switch stances.

The game really needs a dojo or something like Hanbei the Undying from Sekiro where you can train and learn mechanics and game systems.
I’ve yet had an enemy type where the down red arrow made too much of an impact but that could change later on.

I basically attack attack attack, get low on Ki, hit R1 to swash off blood to have more Ki, which lets me attack more. In that barrage if I want I can of course swap weapons to extend combos and switch stances if needed to be more apt for an enemy but I don’t do that mid combo.

The stance skills I have on my big katana let me do a charge up over head slice that knocks enemies down or a lunging thrust to close distance.

I think the goal of the combat was to allow action game fans to experiment and do flashy things, but also be approachable to an easy mode fan who just wants to hack with a katana most of the game. When they hit a wall they can do level up or gear up. The skilled player can overcome with play style.

It’s not perfect but that happens when you try to appeal to casuals and hardcore, and this is a nice compromise/approach.

Edit: forgot to add you can get a weapon yellow bar for max blood, then swap to one that isn’t. Once both are max yellow you could attack string into Ki refresh , into attack string and swap to other weapon, to a Ki refresh, into a string. Unloading on an enemy.

Last edited:

Euler007

That is really just a case of “it didn’t click with me as comparable games do, and I can’t put my finger on it, but i need a reason to lower the score.”
I've always disliked "brings nothing new" arguments. In the context of films, I don't care if the reviewers has seen every movies ever produced and recognized plot elements from existing movie. Is it good or not for the intended audience, which aren't people paid full time to consume the media? Same goes for video games.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I’m level 11, and the last story mission was level 3. It was the second stronghold. I set it max difficulty and open lobby, and the boss there was still clapping cheeks no issues.
I'm level 16 but still super early when it comes to main missions. I've done so much side content. Every time I think I've cleared out an area, more things open up. The game is quick too with accomplishing things so it's easy for me to just keep doing stuff, lol.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've always disliked "brings nothing new" arguments. In the context of films, I don't care if the reviewers has seen every movies ever produced and recognized plot elements from existing movie. Is it good or not for the intended audience, which aren't people paid full time to consume the media? Same goes for video games.
Absolutely. That's Alone in the Dark right now.

"does nothing new" who gives a F? The stuff that's there is great, I don't need it to be anything else. 🤷 Such a BS critique.

Kokoloko85

Same. We have plenty great games that bring nothing new. RE4 Remake being an example.
I expect Elden Ring 2, Witcher 4, the next Zelda and fighting games to bring something completely new otherwise 7/10 lol

fart town usa

Gold Member

My only issue with the sound is that it goes to ambient nature sounds too often. I want to hear the music all the time because it's damn good! 😞

Ogbert

I’m at the point where I’m officially giving up on any form of review, even individual YouTubers.

The entire industry appears to have forgotten the fact that video games are supposed to be fun and that the mechanics of gameplay are the fundamental ingredient. Sincerley, if you’re so concerned with narrative, read a fucking book. Video game stories are barely above pornography for their depth.

This game absolutely has issues. The graphics are poor. Yes, at points it can look good, but the scaling and pop-in is pretty egregious. And some of the checklist activities are tired. But the gameplay is fucking ace. It’s a very enjoyable ninja simulator.

For those on the fence, I’d absolutely recommend it. Perhaps not at full price, but as soon as it gets a discount, give it a go.

Fucking reviewers. Complete clowns.

Top Bottom