• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of The Ronin | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Rise of the Ronin will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 38 14.1%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 75 27.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 96-100%

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

GHG

OykrDbp.jpg

This legit might kill the studio if the Sony moneyhat isn't sufficient.

A part of me wonders if this game came out too soon. I think an AC game by Team Ninja sounds like a fun idea, but everyone is so jaded by the AC games that it feels like they're taking it out on RotR.

This feels like when the PS360 generation was flooded with third person shooters and reviews were mixed on Binary Domain.

I feel the opposite, it's ~5 years too late. If this had released prior to ghost of tsushima and Elden Ring then it would have been much better received.

But as it stands, it's akin to a poor Ubisoft game. Can't believe Team Ninja did this.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Interesting ...if it's better than Wo Long then why are guys like Fighting Cowboy and Skill Up saying it's dumbed down?
Fextralife’s review is a bit uplifting. I didn’t agree with his Lords of the Fallen review, but that’s like the only review I really didn’t agree with. My guess is it’s all about how you go about it. Fighting Cowboy showed off the move set and you could sense some boredom there. The same when he was just running around. I stopped caring about AC after AC3. I will take the Witcher 3 over AC.

I’m debating because if this is indeed like AC then I might just get a refund. I like open world, but a certain style of open world. My copy arrives tomorrow. Fextralife says not to believe the haters and that it’s a solid game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Interesting ...if it's better than Wo Long then why are guys like Fighting Cowboy and Skill Up saying it's dumbed down?

Basically because there's a single attack button, rather than the usual light/heavy attack combo.

Not exactly surprising given that Ronin has to support grappling with the rope, character-swapping, horse-riding, and gliding on top of the usual parry/block, gadget, and counter/special commands.

Its a dumb argument, but there you go.

Kokoloko85

Now I can't unsee it. Game looks soulless from a jap dev about Japan. Ghost of tsuhsima is stil king
Thats not the whole game, he just picked one clip. And GOT had those segments too, clear area and turn into Japanese territory. Did you not play GOT?

There is alot more going on in towns when it comes to interacting with NPC’s, choices factions and doing stuff in towns in ROR than Ghost of Tsushima.

Kokoloko85

Fextralife’s review is a bit uplifting. I didn’t agree with his Lords of the Fallen review, but that’s like the only review I really didn’t agree with. My guess is it’s all about how you go about it. Fighting Cowboy showed off the move set and you could sense some boredom there. The same when he was just running around. I stopped caring about AC after AC3. I will take the Witcher 3 over AC.

I’m debating because if this is indeed like AC then I might just get a refund. I like open world, but a certain style of open world. My copy arrives tomorrow. Fextralife says not to believe the haters and that it’s a solid game.

It has better combat than AC and has alot more NPC interactions than games like Ghost of Tsushima and AC.
People just want to bash on the game because a few reviews talking shit about it

nial

Gold Member
Chances this is coming to PC?
200% chance, count on it.

Sony doesn't pay for 3rd party Japanese IP exclusivity, unless the IP is from their first/second console having a massive installed based/unit sales.

This is all on Team Ninja, and they will port this over to PC and possibly Xbox and Switch 2, after releasing the DLC's, just like NioH 1&2.
It will at some point, but not because of those reasons.
Sony is the publisher worldwide and it's explicitly a PS Studios game, unlike Nioh, which Sony just picked up for publishing outside of Japan.

200% chance, count on it.

Sony doesn't pay for 3rd party Japanese IP exclusivity, unless the IP is from their first/second console having a massive installed based/unit sales.

This is all on Team Ninja, and they will port this over to PC and possibly Xbox and Switch 2, after releasing the DLC's, just like NioH 1&2.
How so? The game is published by SIE

FeralEcho

At a glance the reviews make it sound like you should choose another game in this space, but what if you’ve played those other games? They are also saying the gameplay is good, but the story isn’t anything special? When does that mark a game down by 3-4 points?
Basically its a Team Ninja game that’s in a AC style world with very forgiving (still good) combat? Some other reviews say it’s fantastic. What hurts it is probably it’s price tag considering those other games are probably cheaper than this is.

NiOh 2 was the peak of NiOh for me. That game was well worth $60. The remastered version was even better.
The problem with game reviewers nowadays is none of them review a game based on its own merits, it's always a review of what game it isn't,always a comparisson to another game.

They fail at literally the very thing of what a review should be and it should be objective through and through.What are its qualities and what are its negatives,how is that so fucking hard for some to do?!

fart town usa

Gold Member
The problem with game reviewers nowadays is none of them review a game based on its own merits, it's always a review of what game it isn't,always a comparisson to another game.

They fail at literally the very thing of what a review should be and it should be objective through and through.What are its qualities and what are its negatives,how is that so fucking hard for some to do?!
The Office Thank You GIF

Kamina

Golden Boy
I've seen several reports that while the framerate does drop at times, it's not dropping all the time and isn't that bad for a game with "performance inconsistency"

(Certainly gonna be smoother than Dragons Dogma 2!)
Yes correct
Performance mode aims for 60 fps and in the wilderness it often achieves that for longer periods.
VRR also helps
It’s not something that makes the game unplayable or bad by any means.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Accessible dumb down combat + open world bloatness .... seems like an easy pass for me unfortunately.

Any souls/nioh fan that didnt like Elden Ring but is enjoying RoTR please let me know what you feel/think

Just dont thrust reviewers this days.

Markio128

One interesting thing I noticed whilst reading a few reviews via Metacritic is that ROTR has 100+ reviews on PS5, and DD2 has 50+ reviews on PS5. That’s quite the difference, especially when you consider that DD2 was the most hyped of the two.

Anyway, it looks like a good game to me. It’s just the crowded map that irks me a bit because it messes with my OCD. FF7 Rebirth just about gets away with it, but games like Assassins Creed Valhalla/Odyssey etc., are way too bloated for my liking.

I’ll give it a try at some point, but I’m not desperate for new games, so hopefully it’ll see a reasonable discount before too long.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My playthrough of Rise of the Ronin took around 55 hours, and I barely scratched the surface of the additional content. I had a 60% completion rate in Yokohama, and then a 37% and 11% completion rate for the next two cities. There are still many enemy camps I haven’t cleared yet, 60 more cats to pet, Bond Missions I have not completed, tons of side quests, weapon stance upgrades from the Dojo, fugitives still running loose and a ton more.

When considering a game’s pricepoint, we take into account the amount of content available, the experience impact, and the value of purchasing a game right away versus waiting for patches or a sale. Priced at $69.99, Rise of the Ronin is a content-complete game with some very well done systems and a good combat system, which I argue outweighs the poor graphical quality.

Sounds good to me
Yea, I still plan on playing this.

gtabro

Shoutout to the 63 people that predicted the correct (as of now score), ngl, mine was lower, but maybe I'm just not a fan of games with anime speeds and love me some weight in medieval games...

Nerd time:
Nerd GIF by Heladi

The voting scores are imbalanced.
Reason: take for example the 60s:
in option 1 you have 60-65%, meaning 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 - 6 numbers
but
option 2 (66-69%)? 66, 67, 68, 69 (nice) - only 4 numbers

Last edited:

Ogbert

It’s a pity.

I’ll likely pick it up at some point, when it’s half price. But you don’t want open world checklists from Team Ninja.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Unfortunately not quite hitting the mark as PlayStation’s big exclusive for the year, it's a shame.

People said the exact same thing (ironically for mostly the same reasons) about Days Gone. And a couple of years later... different perception completely.

Decided to get Dogma 2 first, but I fully expect to get RoR in a week or two. My gut feeling was I should buy both and decide which I was more in the mood for, but on reflection I'm not a fan of juggling titles.

Eiknarf

Banned
Shoutout to the 63 people that predicted the correct (as of now score), ngl, mine was lower, but maybe I'm just not a fan of games with anime speeds and love me some weight in medieval games...

Nerd time:
Nerd GIF by Heladi

The voting scores are imbalanced.
Reason: take for example the 60s:
in option 1 you have 60-65%, meaning 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 - 6 numbers
but
option 2 (66-69%)? 66, 67, 68, 69 (nice) - only 4 numbers
No

65 belongs to the upper half

It goes

60, 61, 62, 63, 64

65, 66, 67, 68, 69

Both groups have five, son

Edmund

These guys probably didn't play beyond the first few hours. You'll be able to unlock several fighting styles with just ONE single weapon. Just the katana alone, you'll have for example, the default Mumyo Ryu style, then you have Hokushin Itto Ryu, Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Hayabusa Ryu, Aisu Kage Ryu, Shinto Munen Ryu, and this is just half of what's available.

And other weapons have different combat styles as well.

It's very easy to tell who's really played the game and who hasn't.

That said. I wish the game wasn't open world. I just wanna smash stuff with my friends like in Nioh 2.
The game is a 7.5/10 to me so far.

Last edited:

gtabro

No

65 belongs to the upper half

It goes

60, 61, 62, 63, 64

65, 66, 67, 68, 69

Both groups have five, son
The way he’s written it it doesn’t, check the poll again. Otherwise you’re saying “I think it will be 65%, so I’ll vote in the other category.”

Last edited:

Nydius

My playthrough of Rise of the Ronin took around 55 hours, and I barely scratched the surface of the additional content. I had a 60% completion rate in Yokohama, and then a 37% and 11% completion rate for the next two cities. There are still many enemy camps I haven’t cleared yet, 60 more cats to pet, Bond Missions I have not completed, tons of side quests, weapon stance upgrades from the Dojo, fugitives still running loose and a ton more.

Yeah, see, to me that just sounds like a lot of bloated open world padding. The kind of stuff that made me quit on games like Assassins Creed Syndicate or Far Cry 5 or 6. Technically competent and “content complete” games, but most of that content was uninspired dreck designed to inflate play time metrics.

ETA: Although I have more time than most to game, I only have so much patience for sprawling open world games that ask me to complete the same rote content over and over. Usually once I finish one I enjoy, I don’t have interest in jumping into another open world for a while. I just finished 100+ hours of FF7Rebirth, last thing I want is to run around chasing documents off rooftops finding cats to pet. 🤷

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
FF was excellent but it seems like Team Ninja is ideas first, technical proficiency second - and they aren't going to change. WL wasn't terrible, but was entirely too busy, this seems like it regresses in the worst way, but doesn't get rid of some of the other bullshit their games are none for (their most "bullshit" bosses put FS's "bullshit" bosses to shame).

. . .which is insane because NIOH I/II (more II) was and still is probably my favorite Soulslike other than BB. I'll give them this though: they aren't afraid to try new gameplay ideas.

One interesting thing I noticed whilst reading a few reviews via Metacritic is that ROTR has 100+ reviews on PS5, and DD2 has 50+ reviews on PS5. That’s quite the difference, especially when you consider that DD2 was the most hyped of the two.

One is an exclusive, the other isn't. DD2 has 107 reviews overall on MC.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played the tutorial at lunch to get a feel for it. Looking forward to playing more once I'm done with AITD, which I expect will be on Saturday.

I had it in fidelity for the tutorial but will move over to 60fps when I am inevitably forced to give my wife the Bravia and I retreat to the basement Plasma 😭.

I never get to utilize my PS5 to it's fullest. 😞

Luipadre

Im actually thinking about getting this later instead of DD2. ~60 fps mode and gameplay looks more up to my alley. Game is meaty and the combat looks fun. I also love AC games

Feels like this will drop in price in a month despite being a ps exclusive

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Bought it on a whim. Figured I’d play 10 mins and be done.

Wrong. I’m now playing this over DD2 intentionally.

The combat feels like ninja gaiden meets sekiro. Praise fucking be.

Put it on hard mode NG fans, and go chop off enemy limbs razor edge style. Blood galore, and a mechanic around Ki and blood build up.

Also it looks and runs great.

Need more time but this could be the best team ninja game since NG franchise?

nial

Gold Member
Holy shit. This is their best game since NGII.
Bought it on a whim. Figured I’d play 10 mins and be done.

Wrong. I’m now playing this over DD2 intentionally.

The combat feels like ninja gaiden meets sekiro. Praise fucking be.

Put it on hard mode NG fans, and go chop off enemy limbs razor edge style. Blood galore, and a mechanic around Ki and blood build up.

Also it looks and runs great.

Need more time but this could be the best team ninja game since NG franchise?
I will not be buying it now, but color me surprised. 😮
Shame that no one made an OT, and I don't want to do a half-assed job myself, lol.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I will not be buying it now, but color me surprised. 😮
Shame that no one made an OT, and I don't want to do a half-assed job myself, lol.
You just volunteered.

That’s how I had to make the tekken 8 and suicide squad ones. Did T8 at the airport in 30 mins on my phone.

Give it a whirl. No one expects greatness and appreciates just having a home to discuss it.

nial

Gold Member
You just volunteered.

That’s how I had to make the tekken 8 and suicide squad ones. Did T8 at the airport in 30 mins on my phone.

Give it a whirl. No one expects greatness and appreciates just having a home to discuss it.
Well, I'll try after I'm done with lunch, lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, see, to me that just sounds like a lot of bloated open world padding. The kind of stuff that made me quit on games like Assassins Creed Syndicate or Far Cry 5 or 6. Technically competent and “content complete” games, but most of that content was uninspired dreck designed to inflate play time metrics.

ETA: Although I have more time than most to game, I only have so much patience for sprawling open world games that ask me to complete the same rote content over and over. Usually once I finish one I enjoy, I don’t have interest in jumping into another open world for a while. I just finished 100+ hours of FF7Rebirth, last thing I want is to run around chasing documents off rooftops finding cats to pet. 🤷

So maybe, just play the bits you like?

I really do not understand the mentality of doing things in a game you don't like. Especially as games are always repetitive because noone has time to create an infinite number of mechanics and systems,

To me its really simple, am I enjoying what I'm doing in the moment, and is it keeping me engaged?

The classic example to me has always been people moaning about the Nioh games being "bloated". Bloated with what? Weapons and skills, variant maps, systems, loot? How terrible!

The game is even constructed as a series of sequentially unlocked levels, side missions and boss rematch arenas are clearly laid out as such, so if you just want to avoid repetition simply mainline the "golden path"?

Top Bottom