• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Souls-like Rise of The ronin will have difficulty options

kyussman

Sounds like a sensible decision,as long as the game design holds up.The open world needs to be interesting enough to explore without hard combat encounters......if the combat encounters were the main thing the game was designed around and you take that away......game is gonna fall apart.

skit_data

posts brian GIF

Vblad88

Their approach to difficulty settings is not so much “calibrated” as shown in Strangers of Paradise. Hard made game still easier than Nioh, and DLC difficulties were insane. I expect more of the same.

Sounds like a sensible decision,as long as the game design holds up.The open world needs to be interesting enough to explore without hard combat encounters......if the combat encounters were the main thing the game was designed around and you take that away......game is gonna fall apart.
While I don't disagree on game design, playing the game on lesser difficulty modes will make gamers less likely to fully engage with the combat system. Which is what Team Ninja is phenomenal at

Yeah same for me if there are no difficulties options in a game, and the game is superhard it turns me of. When i have an easier option i play that first and in my second playtrue i play in a hard option thats what i always do...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Team Ninja just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Soulslike culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the character action genre where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the Soulslike business, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the Soulslike public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Rise of the Ronin for the PS5 system, nor will they purchase any of Team Ninja's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Team Ninja has alienated an entire market with this move.
Team Ninja, publicly apologize and cancel the difficulty options or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Last edited:

FrankWza

While I don't disagree on game design, playing the game on lesser difficulty modes will make gamers less likely to fully engage with the combat system. Which is what Team Ninja is phenomenal at
They've done it before to much acclaim. I'm sure they know how to balance it. I was opposed to a difficulty system but after reading this

I kind of understand what they're going for. This is a big challenge for them and I'm glad Sony gave them the backing to try it. I'm disappointed that they didn't do a Steelbook version but I have already preordered my copy.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Unless the game has a Stamina bar and boring as shit need to grind currency for attribute upgrades it isn't a Souls clone. Everything must of been a Souls clone in the 2000's with every action game on the PS2.

FrankWza

Unless the game has a Stamina bar and boring as shit need to grind currency for attribute upgrades it isn't a Souls clone. Everything must of been a Souls clone in the 2000's with every action game on the PS2.

Yasuda describes Rise of the Rōnin’s close-quarters swordplay as having familiar elements to games like Nioh. The game includes different weapon styles, parrying appears to be an important skill, and players can employ tricks like setting their katana on fire to deal extra damage. However, Rōnin were known for using a variety of weapons, and that’s represented by polearms and the most devastating weapon granted by the time period: guns. The influx of Western firearms, such as pistols and rifles, adds a vital ranged element to the action. The grappling hook can also be used offensively; a recent trailer showed the Rōnin hooking it to an explosive barrel to swing and lob at a mob of targets. The story may be more reality-based, but the action is as over-the-top as you’d expect from a Team Ninja title.

Team Ninja states Rise of the Rōnin’s combat revolves around studying and learning enemy patterns gleaned after repeated failures, suggesting it will be as challenging as the games preceding it. When I asked if it still punishes death in the same Soulslike fashion, where players must retrieve fallen experience points, and how the more realistic story would justify this, Yasuda confirmed it does and involves a progression resource called Karma. It’s an apt name; the developers say the word symbolizes the destiny people carry from one life into the next. However, Yasuda clarifies that Karma only represents one system. There is another, more traditional type of XP that players retain after death. “You can look forward to the details of this in the future,” Yasuda says.

I don't know much about it - I only became interested after really enjoying Ghost of Tsushima and figured it would be akin to that. I liked GoT on hard (or was it called something else? Lethal?) So I'll probably play this on the same. But is this really a "Souls like"?

Team Ninja just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Soulslike culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the character action genre where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the Soulslike business, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the Soulslike public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Rise of the Ronin for the PS5 system, nor will they purchase any of Team Ninja's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Team Ninja has alienated an entire market with this move.
Team Ninja, publicly apologize and cancel the difficulty options or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I hate the idea of difficulty settings in Souls likes but are you being serious? This will bring more sales in todays wimpy gaming environment and with how Sony has been marketing "accessibility features" as if that is some great selling point.

vkbest

Those news killed the interest in this game to me. Difficulty options only bring unbalanced progression in those games, altering the HP pool, damage taken and speed from enemies.

Top Bottom