• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin - The Fight BTS

I have a bad feeling about this. Team Ninja is banking hard on this but with every trailer they show the game looks worse.

Archaic visuals, animations, effects and combat. The graphic quality looks way worse than a game like Sekiro (which came out five years ago, mind you), and without the god-tier art and visual design that FROM has to save itself from harsh criticism concerning graphics.

Team Ninja needs to stop fucking around. It's 2024 and you're releasing a PS5 exclusive that looks like it's ten years old. What are you doing?

Just look at 4:45 and 4:50 in that trailer, what the fuck is this shit? Straight up PS3-era Dark Souls tier animations.

I don't know how xdev was involved in this... Given the development time you have to assume they wanted to release and then saw ghost of tsushima and said... you know what... we can't release next to this, lets push this out to ps5 and get some distance from GoT.

I wonder when sony and xdev got involved in the game. It wasn't announced for a very long time, so i'd like to hope it wasn't until very late.

NT80

I just don't know how they're asking 70 dollars for this game.

I think the reception on it would be A LOT better ultimately if it was 30-40 dollars. Like it looks like a PS4 game and not a really good PS4 game.

I'm going to go ahead and think this game is going to review in the low 70s.
But their combat is among the best in the business and that's one of the things that will really stand out against the competition.

I think the reception on it would be A LOT better ultimately if it was 30-40 dollars. Like it looks like a PS4 game and not a really good PS4 game.

I'm starting to warm up to the game. It definitely looks last gen though and I have serious concerns with the director's track record.

Development of the game started in 2015 so you know it was originally built for PS4. What is surprising is that it isn't cross gen.
Isn't this the Nioh 2 director?

You really think this game will review worse than Wo long?

DavidGzz

Yeah, we're deep into this gen now. Team Ninja used to be about the visuals. Ninja Gaiden on Xbox original looked awesome and was made for graphics whores. Oh well, it still looks fun. I'll be busy with Dragon's Dogma 2 but I'll get this eventually.

hyperbertha

Sekiro combat soooooooo overrated bro. It's mechanics shit the bed when you shock horror fight 2 enemies. 🤣🤣

Team Ninja have been putting out top tier combat since Ninja Gaiden they will do it again!
Bro team ninja has been nothing but a fromsoft copycat for two generations, and you come up with this shit? What you smoking? Even the rope pull is lifted straight from sekiro.

FrankWza

Game looks awesome. The combat looks like it's bringing some novel ideas to the gameplay department, too. Don't really understand the complaints about the use of guns, especially when it's appropriate for the time period.

Of course, you have people complaining about the visuals... because pretty pictures sell more than solid gameplay apparently.
Those who played Nioh1&2,know.

Bro team ninja has been nothing but a fromsoft copycat for two generations, and you come up with this shit? What you smoking? Even the rope pull is lifted straight from sekiro.
You must never have played the Nioh games. It is quite different than any Fromsoft Souls game. And Nioh 1/2 has better combat than anything Fromsoft has ever put out

What?! FromSoftware created grappling hooks now!?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Fuck me you FromSoftware Fanboys are too fucking much!🤣🤣🤣

wtf are you smoking?

these are the guys that made Nioh and Nioh 2. Both amazing games and metacritic above 85 for each.

Not to mention the amount of content they put into those games, with coop, etc. Clocked probably more than 400h in each of them.

Kurotri

I keep flopping back and forth on this game, sometimes it looks cool sometimes it looks blerugh. Only thing I'm certain will be good is the combat.

hyperbertha

You must never have played the Nioh games. It is quite different than any Fromsoft Souls game. And Nioh 1/2 has better combat than anything Fromsoft has ever put out
:pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: good one.
Oh and nioh literally copied the souls formula one for one. It's literally where their copycat spree began. How obtuse are you?

Last edited:
No but their main game right after sekiro having a grappling hook is coincidence? (Nobody even noticed wo long) You from haters are something too.
Firstly I don't think devs copying other devs is bad in fact it's good it's where innovation through iteration happens.

Secondly there's a million and one game game's Team Ninja could have looked for inspiration regarding grappling hooks. Frankly Sekiro's grappling hook is basic as hell. They may have copied them but I think it's far more likely they copied Just Cause and Batman Arkham for Traversal and DMC4 and God of war 3 for combat. I don't care who they copied in the end I care more about execution and seeing as you brought it up Rise of the Ronin's grappling hook looks more far more fun than Sekiros.

Thirdly here's a secret I'am a FromSoftware Fanboy. Dark souls is a top 3 all time game for me and I loved all there other games even 2. There biggest fans are bloody annoying through.... hyping there games to silly levels, not taking criticism well, giving them credit they don't deserve or in this thread particularly bringing up there games for know good reason at all. The post I initially responded was hyping Sekiro's graphics for fucks sake.😅😅
Rise of the Ronin looks better considering it's an open world 😁😁
You saying Team Ninja copied Sekiro's grappling hook is definitely filed under credit they didn't deserve.

Finally I enjoyed nioh 1 and nioh 2 but overall I think even FromSoftware weakest Souls game is better than either. Team Ninja game's better combat through especially Nioh 2 I expect Rise of ronin to at least be as good or better than Nioh 2. If you disagree with that then let's debate. You can do that without hyping up From to a ridiculous degree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom