• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Online has been cancelled

Dibils2k

hilarious excuses, "we were gonna do all the bad practices BUT we just couldnt bring ourselves to do it, arent you glad fans!"

Kindela

Banned
They should've just created factions 2. Same modes, increase the player count by 1-2 maybe, new maps and that's it.
The most ridiculous part of all of this is if you want to play a TLOU multiplayer game on your ps5, you have to do it on a 2014 remaster. A nearly 10 year old remaster of a ps3 game. By the end of next month we'll have 3 TLOU games released since then, and we still have to play MP on the 2014 remaster.

It was so good they had to cancel it?
You guys just eat up sony spin.

TirIlCP.png

Ellery

Alright well played Druckmann. I bet it was Jim Ryan's idea to make the best studio go down the MP GAAS route and now that he is out of the way all cards on the table.

Love to hear it and thank you for doing the right thing Naughty Dog. Your franchises are too good to be butchered.

midnightAI

This stupid chase for the easy GaaS money is having a very negative impact in the industry.
Well you can understand it from Sony's point of view, IF they could create a successful GaaS game or two those could fund other games, but honestly their own first party generally fund themselves at this point, but the problem is because their games are so expensive (and rightly so with the scale and quality of games they make) then they do like to take the safe route. I'd personally like a few of their studios to make less costly games can be made though, even if classed as experimental games to see what sticks, or even take more chances with their existing IP's on alternative modes, like Ragnarok Valhalla, that DLC proves that they could in theory make a full game out of that DLC, sell it for $20-$30 and just make it a lot bigger, introduce elements from ALL of the GOW games, add all previous bosses, have more locations etc.

Ar¢tos

Well you can understand it from Sony's point of view, IF they could create a successful GaaS game or two those could fund other games, but honestly their own first party generally fund themselves at this point, but the problem is because their games are so expensive (and rightly so with the scale and quality of games they make) then they do like to take the safe route. I'd personally like a few of their studios to make less costly games can be made though, even if classed as experimental games to see what sticks, or even take more chances with their existing IP's on alternative modes, like Ragnarok Valhalla, that DLC proves that they could in theory make a full game out of that DLC, sell it for $20-$30 and just make it a lot bigger, introduce elements from ALL of the GOW games, add all previous bosses, have more locations etc.
They had studios making less costly smaller games and they shifted them to GAAS games or shut them down (like PixelOpus).

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Pity, I'm not a MP fan, too old to be dealing with far superior far younger players, I've watched my son play COD and absolutely own the map so I've no intention of competing against that but I have to admit I would've loved to see a modern day MP TLOU but ND are right, they've ran the numbers and they simply don't want to nor can they spin up to the type of studio required to run a successful GASS, buuuuuuut surely this is what Sony bought Bungie for, couldn't this be handed off to them to run with alongside Destiny with ND being creative directors

we'd have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come
No. No, you wouldn’t. There have been many, many enjoyable and successful multiplayer experiences that were “one and done” without being a live service.

I suspect what they actually mean is “our executives/directors/investors would demand that we implement paid post launch content for years to come”.

That fucking sucks. I loved factions. Naughty Dog only releasing remakes / remasters this whole gen so far is really disappointing too. Gotta be some serious project management issues going on over there.

midnightAI

They had studios making less costly smaller games and they shifted them to GAAS games or shut them down (like PixelOpus).
I mean their AAA studios making experimental/cheaper games/modes, which is what they are kinda doing such as Ragnarok Valhalla and the rogue like mode in TLoU Part 2 Remaster thing. I'd like them to try more than just rogue like modes though, for one or two games that's fine but that should be enough. Ghost of Tsushima tried something a little different with their Legends DLC which was fun also.

midnightAI

That fucking sucks. I loved factions. Naughty Dog only releasing remakes / remasters this whole gen so far is really disappointing too. Gotta be some serious project management issues going on over there.
While yes, they may have made a misstep with this GaaS (but that may all have been due to upper PlayStation management rather than ND themselves), we don't know the state of their other games so I think its way too early to tell if there are any internal issues at ND (I dont think there is, it wouldnt surprise me if at some later date it comes out that this was originally intended to be a standard Factions multiplayer and higher ups were pushing for the GaaS model)

I personally think this is being announced now so as to let the dust settle before they announce their first new game early next year (hopefully at a Feb/March/April Sony Showcase)

Glad they are going to make a SP game I'll play through to the end rather than a MP game I'll play for 30 minutes and admire, then never touch again.

How do you work like 3 years on a project and realize you can't do it? How embarrassing, and even worse is all the resources in general put into 10+ or almost 5+ year old games. Imagine if they put the work they had in TLOU1 remake or TLOU2 remaster into the games they're currently working on. It's been a long time since Naughty Dog has confirmed anything.

Tsaki

And that’s what I will never understand. The forever game. It’s stupid. I don’t want to play a game for 100 hours. Let alone 5000. No game is that good. Gaas is essentially a bad idea.
Eh. I enjoyed my time with yearly CoD a decade ago but things are way different now. Players want skins, voice lines, gadgets and Battle Passes to grind for and all those at a frequent cadence. I mean I've been following the Street Fighter 6 discourse since release and the majority of it was "where are more costumes we can buy". People were actually mad at Capcom for not churning out $10 DLC per character, nevermind giving free shit. When they released the Costume #3 trailer you can see the spike in Steam users, and they didn't even update the game.
The only way I'm playing MP these days is if a family member or friend does as well.

midnightAI

How do you work like 3 years on a project and realize you can't do it? How embarrassing, and even worse is all the resources in general put into 10+ or almost 5+ year old games. Imagine if they put the work they had in TLOU1 remake or TLOU2 remaster into the games they're currently working on. It's been a long time since Naughty Dog has confirmed anything.
Not many resources? these games (remakes/remasters) arent being made by the main teams within ND.

Last of Us 2 was only 3.5 years ago, and if they are making a new IP that takes time, why so impatient?

It sounds strange that a studio as big as Naughty Dog would come to this conclusion after several years of developing the game, as if they didn't know this before (post-launch efforts).

They got a reality check from Bungie and gave up.

They realized it would take quite a few years to really get good at developing this type of game.

Last edited:
So what does that mean for their other future multiplayer project when they just now (?) realize you need to have continuous support for them to do well?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
A "brand new single player game" is not necessarily "new IP". TLOU 3 would be a "brand new single player game".
Yes. But they said they are working on TWO brand new single player games. The only thing that makes any sense is a new IP AND TLOU 3. Which is what I’ve been saying for 3 years and has also been hinted at by all the “insiders”

Top Bottom