• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys for Bob going independent

graywolf323

Blog post:

February 29, 2024
BY Paul Yan & Avery Lodato
We’re thrilled to announce that Toys for Bob is spinning off as an independent game development studio!
Over the years, we've inspired love, joy, and laughter for the inner child in all gamers. We pioneered new IP and hardware technologies in Skylanders. We raised the bar for best-in-class remasters in Spyro Reignited Trilogy. We’ve taken Crash Bandicoot to innovative, critically acclaimed new heights.
With the same enthusiasm and passion, we believe that now is the time to take the studio and our future games to the next level. This opportunity allows us to return to our roots of being a small and nimble studio.
To make this news even more exciting, we’re exploring a possible partnership between our new studio and Microsoft. And while we’re in the early days of developing our next new game and a ways away from making any announcements, our team is excited to develop new stories, new characters, and new gameplay experiences.
Our friends at Activision and Microsoft have been extremely supportive of our new direction and we’re confident that we will continue to work closely together as part of our future.
So, keep your horns on and your eyes out for more news. Thank you to our community of players for always supporting us through our journey. We can't wait to share updates on our new adventure as an indie studio!
Talk to you soon!

Last edited:
GFxpGs8XgAA7yhC

Jaybe

Blog post:

February 29, 2024
We’re thrilled to announce that Toys for Bob is spinning off as an independent game development studio!
Over the years, we've inspired love, joy, and laughter for the inner child in all gamers. We pioneered new IP and hardware technologies in Skylanders. We raised the bar for best-in-class remasters in Spyro Reignited Trilogy. We’ve taken Crash Bandicoot to innovative, critically acclaimed new heights.
With the same enthusiasm and passion, we believe that now is the time to take the studio and our future games to the next level. This opportunity allows us to return to our roots of being a small and nimble studio.
To make this news even more exciting, we’re exploring a possible partnership between our new studio and Microsoft. And while we’re in the early days of developing our next new game and a ways away from making any announcements, our team is excited to develop new stories, new characters, and new gameplay experiences.
Our friends at Activision and Microsoft have been extremely supportive of our new direction and we’re confident that we will continue to work closely together as part of our future.
So, keep your horns on and your eyes out for more news. Thank you to our community of players for always supporting us through our journey. We can't wait to share updates on our new adventure as an indie studio!
Talk to you soon!

CamHostage

Confirmed, interesting. That's an tricky but intriguing move. Good for them, I hope. I had no faith that Activision was ever going to put them back on the franchises they're good at (despite MS showing interest to the public for all those dormant franchises,) and I see no value in another studio getting sent down into the CoD mines. There was no future there for this studio as far as I could see.

So I hope that somehow this works for TfB... although it's rough out there even for a studio with 35 years of experience under its belt.

Last edited:
A totally new 3D platformer, hopefully. Weird that they’re still early in their next game though. Crash 4 was 2020 and Team Rumble seemed like something that would take about 6 months to string together.

Chastten

Banned
I liked their Skylanders, Spyro and Crash games. Wouldn't mind Nintendo giving them one of their IP's to work with to see what they can do.

Not gonna happen obviously, but would be nice.

CamHostage

Nice! Lets hope whatever is left of Vicarious Visions and Beenox does the same.

Vicarious Visions already had its split from Activision; the founding Bala brothers left in 2016 and formed Velan Studios, which developed Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit and the dodgeball multiplayer game Knockout City.

VV still kicked around after the Balas left (VV formed a nice dyad with Toys for Bob, contributing to each other's franchises,) and they went out strong on THPS 1+2 before getting involved with Blizzard and eventually being absorbed into that team, but I'm not sure the rest of that unit going independent would have the same value as this. It's not like they'd go indie and make rad skateboarding or portable games again.

Last edited:

proandrad

Not until Sony cleans that mess of studio up and gets them to make real games again. Bungie management is solely responsible for the mess that is destiny 2.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is the potential silver lining with all of these layoffs

Smaller studios (albeit with lower employee #s) finally breaking free. Saber too right?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
So they bought themselves out?
Microsoft let them go like Twisted Pixel Games. Better than closing down a studio you don't need. They were just COD support and Skylanders anyway. Microsoft does not own most Halo support studios ( Certain Affinity, Skybox Labs) either.
the exodus
Dunno why people think this is exodus, like you can just leave when you want.

Last edited:

CamHostage

So they left being owned by Microsoft to... develop a game with Microsoft. Okay?

Weirdly, that happens more than it makes sense. It happened when Jaffe/Campbell left Sony to form Eat Sleep Play then made Twisted Metal PS3 for Sony (and remastered the PSP game for PS2 with extra TM:B2 cut content,) Bungie left Microsoft and then went on to make two more Halo games for MS, Trip Hawkins left Electronic Arts to form 3DO which brought a lot of EA titles onto its console, Fumito Ueda left Sony to form a studio that continued work on The Last Guardian for Sony (that one is still a weirdly unclear situation how that all happened...), it is rumored to possibly happen with Bokeh Game Studio that Sony might pick up the first game from the team that was let go from PlayStation Japan Studio, sometimes movie distributors pick up the first work from producers/directors who have started independent production studios...

The economics are weird, but somehow it makes sense sometimes. Being part of corporation inside of a corporation inside of a corporation can be the wrong fit for a studio, but once the structures have shifted, there may be things possible the new way that couldn't be done the previous way.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Good for them going independent. Hopefully they can crank out a good and charming platformer with some fun characters. I feel that is a genre woefully underrepresented today (or maybe I'm just not looking at the right place).

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Happy ending. I'm glad that those on the top (still Paul and Fred?) had (or secured) the resources to buy the company back.

Working relationship with MS means we might still see more Crash from them too, which would be nice.

I know Fred and Paul are also working on a new Star Control sequel under the name Free Stars as a side project. I wonder if there would be the opportunity to bring that under the Toys for Bob umbrella.

graywolf323

Blog post:

February 29, 2024
Talk to you soon!
thanks for finding that! I’ve added it to the OP

Banjo64

cumsessed
MS own Banjo-Kazooie, Spyro, Crash and Conker. The 4 biggest 3D platform mascots in gaming outside of Nintendo IP.

And they’ve let Toys For Bob go.

Honestly, Microsoft are astoundingly bad at gaming. You can’t imagine worse decisions, but they continue to outdo themselves.

Good for Toys For Bob to be honest. Hopefully they continue to make great games.

Darsxx82

It's a curious situation. Becomes independent but would continue working for MS.....

Many unknowns appear:

- How does it affect MS's obligation to release ABK Studios games on cloudgaming services? If it is independent, it is assumed that there would no longer be an obligation 🤔

-What type of project could you agree on? Due to its background, a platform game. It would be funny if a new Crash or Spyro were commissioned. There are certainly more options now than when they were handcuffed to COD.

-Are they going to become a studio that works from home?

nikolino840

It's a curious situation. Becomes independent but would continue working for MS.....

Many unknowns appear:

- How does it affect MS's obligation to release ABK Studios games on cloudgaming services? If it is independent, it is assumed that there would no longer be an obligation 🤔

-What type of project could you agree on? Due to its background, a platform game. It would be funny if a new Crash or Spyro were commissioned. There are certainly more options now than when they were handcuffed to COD.

-Are they going to become a studio that works from home?
I think the only obligations are for cod multiplatform the famous 10 year deal

CamHostage

Sorry for the derail, but what? I've never heard of this.

"Rumored" is a strong word, I should probably take that out. I have seen it mentioned in Bokeh posts that Sony could publish a title from the company, but I can't source anything credibly pointing towards that happening.

(I don't expect Slitherhead to be published fully indie, that's a challenging route for a Japanese studio with this level of talent on the books, but the only known corporate investor backing identified so far has been Tencent and Netease.)

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Getting those Xbox 2015 vibes. I wonder if we see some other studios do this and if there were clauses in place before the acquisitions of studios like Doublefine, Ninja Theory and Compulsion.

DaGwaphics

Well, it's good and bad I guess. Good that the studio can keep making games and not have to be a support studio, bad that if MS had allowed them to make some of the platforming games they are so good at it would have been great for GamePass.

Top Bottom