• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellgate: Redemption announced for console, PC – new game in Hellgate: London franchise by original creator built on Unreal Engine 5

Hellgate-Redemption-Ann_03-27-24-768x432.jpg

Lunacy Games, a studio founded in September 2022 by Hellgate: London creator Bill Roper, has signed a licensing agreement with HanbitSoft to create a new AAA game in the Hellgate franchise for console and PC, the company announced. Codenamed Hellgate: Redemption, the game will be set in an undisclosed part of the franchise’s alternate history, demon-apocalypse world.

“I’ve dreamed of returning to the franchise we created back in 2007 for many, many years,” said Lunacy Games CEO and co-founder Bill Roper in a press release. “I’ve always felt I had unfinished business with the Hellgate IP, which is why our codename for the project is Hellgate: Redemption.”

Roper continued, “By using Unreal Engine 5, cloud-based game servers, as many off-the-shelf solutions as possible, and great co-development partnerships, we’re putting every development dollar toward gameplay and innovation. We’re keeping core gameplay and lore elements of Hellgate: London in our current design, but our intent is to build an exciting new experience that takes advantage of the numerous advances the industry has seen over the past 17 years since the original game launched.”

Here is an overview of the original game, via Lunacy Games:

Hellgate: London is an influential game that was ahead of its time in numerous ways. It pioneered the Looter Shooter genre, featuring randomly generated levels that demanded a proprietary 3D engine with real-time lighting support, and employed a business model that was unique at the time, now widely recognized as a Battle Pass. That era of gaming even required the formation of a second company to build and operate the online portion of Hellgate: London.

Awesome concept and premise in the original....Kinda shitty execution. Definitely could be something awesome if given the right love and attention.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Wow....was NOT expecting to see this....ever!

I was a lifetime supporter (read: sucker) back when the first game came out. Now I will just pay for early access or kickstart it and this time they won't even have to refund my $!

Killjoy-NL

I assume the majority of Gaf will hate this game, as apparently it's the origin of the much-beloved BattlePasses?

gothmog

Gold Member
An influential game if by influential you mean they completely fell flat on their faces and set back viable Diablo clones for years.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I remember this being a cautionary tale when it launched, never actually played it. Checking Wikipedia seems the property has had a pretty weird life since then.

xrnzaaas

Previous game had a great setting and some nice visuals, but it didn't play very good, at least for me. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this project.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It had a subscription service? How?

Essentially you bought the game and could play based simply on that... however it has so many fucking restrictions. The vault of just 20 was just BS the subs 40 was still irritating but it was much more manageable between 3+ characters.

Also hardcore was locked behind it as well as fast travel...

There's a reason the game died quickly.

amigastar

Essentially you bought the game and could play based simply on that... however it has so many fucking restrictions. The vault of just 20 was just BS the subs 40 was still irritating but it was much more manageable between 3+ characters.

Also hardcore was locked behind it as well as fast travel...

There's a reason the game died quickly.
Uhh, sounds bad. No wonder the game wasn't successful.

I liked the demo, but never played the full game.
I think it was just ahead of its time, and probably did not do everything right, but I'd guess it should be doing alright today. About time the original tries it again, while no one else dared to try, after Hellgate failed. Diablo mixed with Borderlands or whatever. I am interested.

amigastar

Found an old article

Few things I missed but yeah a bunch of BS, I think the main reason I subbed was because you couldn't log into the game without it at launch, but you got to skip the free player queue and get straight on with the lifetime sub.
"the freedom to bypass server queues"
Jeez that sucks!!
I hope the new hellgate game won't have such nonsense in it.

Last edited:

Hudo

We live in a world there's money left for this shit and no money left for Command & Conquer.

Hudo

Whether good or bad, C&C has had plenty of attention over the years. I agree it's not enough, but it's a ton more compared to Hellgate, let them have this man, lol.
I am still salty about Hellgate: London

I bought into the hype back then, bought it with the money I got from my part-time job. Only to be severely disappointed by it.

StueyDuck

But the core was good... I had a great time with it but the game bombed and support dried up FAST.
Oh definitely. That's why I mean undelivered promises. It could of been one of the all time greats, especially when it was around the time where those lootershooter crpgs /mmos were coming into their own.

MiguelItUp

I am still salty about Hellgate: London

I bought into the hype back then, bought it with the money I got from my part-time job. Only to be severely disappointed by it.
Ah. It had it's issues for sure, but man, I still played a ton of it and loved it because there was nothing else quite like it at the time for me. Just a shame that so much didn't work out or add up.

Top Bottom