• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's next big single player game is not The Last of Us: Part 3.

Draugoth

Gold Member

I did some other interview where someone asked me about The Last of Us, and would there be any more stories or something. I mentioned we have written a story that takes place after Last of Us II that stars Tommy. I hope one day we get to make it. The headlines across the industry were like, 'Naughty Dog Has Outlined The Last of Us Part III.' And that's actually wrong. It was always a small story, it was never a full title.

At the time, we had higher priorities at Naughty Dog, to fix our pipeline, to fix work-life balance issues. Just based on where we were, I didn't wanna prioritize this story, so that story was shelved. I still believe one day it will see the light of day. I don't know if it'll be a game or a show… TBD.

The first game had such a clean concept of the unconditional love a parent feels for their child. The second one, once we landed on this idea of the pursuit of justice at any cost, justice for the ones you love, it felt like there's a clean concept here and there's a through-line from the first game about love. If we never get to do it again, this is a fine ending point. The last bite of the apple, the story's done.

The great thing about working at Naughty Dog is that we don't have to. It's always like, we would love another Last of Us, but if you guys are passionate about something else, we'll support this other thing. Very privileged position to be in. I never take that for granted.

I've been thinking about, "Is there a concept there?" And for now years, I haven't been able to find that concept. But recently that's changed. I don't have a story, but I do have that concept, that, to me, is as exciting as I, as exciting as II, is its own thing, yet has this through-line for all 3. So it does feel like there's probably one more chapter to this story.

Senua

Well Done Good Job GIF by Robert E Blackmon

saintjules

Good to hear all around. Neil is known to lie in interviews though, so I always take that with a few pinches of salt until my eyes see something official.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow. i was convinced they were making TLOU3. Starring Tommy too. Crazy.

Lets hope we get to see their new IP soon.

Saber

Gold Member
As long it's not Last of Cuck or Uncharted with new "modern" takes, thats ok.
Unfortunatelly that doesn't mean they can't rererelease another LoU for like 7 times, since it's not a sequel.

Flabagast

I really dont think that Naughty Dog wants to do another Uncharted unless Sony forces them to, so all bets are on a new IP, which would be glorious

sachos

I think Neil said that he was impressed by Elden Ring design back when it launched, maybe they will go for open world RPG?

Eiknarf

Banned
Can the OP or a mod add a poll, or do I have to make a new thread?

Would NeoGAF’rs want a NEW IP or TLOU Part III to be Naughty Dog’s next release?
Which would you rather ?

Last edited:
That's right they're joining Insomniac in developing Marvel games.

Instead of TLOU 3, they're making Suicide Squad Thunderbolts: kill the Justice League Avengers.

SHA

The Last of us on space, let that sink for a sec, I mean dude, they're the only ones already, what're they doing on space ?, I can't think of how's this gonna come together, flip assets and see how's this gonna work, I don't see any other way.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Savage Starlight has much potential.

How exactly does it have potential? I thought its whole existence was just one photo in TLOU. Is there more art for it elsewhere in the game apart from that one that I don't know about? Or a bit of text or a bio or something?

Sorry I'm not trying to have a go or anything I just don't understand what you mean when it has potential, fair enough if you just mean it could be really cool to play a sci-fi game with a character that looks like her.

Top Bottom