• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part II ruined gaming for me

I held off getting the game based on some woke shit I read here on gaf until it had hit $20.

When I finally played it I found myself regretting listening to anyone here.

now-you-see-the-light-singing.gif

Dragged on for too long and the setting got old fast. The whole Lev section felt like award bait. Still good but a bit of a letdown for me.

Part 1 is still their best game. Better pacing, story, and overall felt like a bigger adventure despite being only half as long.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

I grabbed this on sale a while back and I had no drive to play it, but I finished the first season on HBO and have installed it and am jumping in on ps5. Most of the story is spoiled, which kept me from playing, but I want to give it a fair shake. I’m not sure how I’ll handle the extreme violence which is a turn off.

Looking forward to the gameplay mostly.

Edit: damn, nice guitar controls

Last edited:

EDMIX

Its going to be a while until we get another adult mature type story like that.

I remember playing this in front of my sister as she played the first game but decided to just watch me run thru part 2. Saddest part of that run was the end and my sister was like "damn, that game was so fucking good, what other games do you have that are like this"

smh, I had to tell her nothing at all exist like this on this level lol
Notice, you recommend a great show to something, they ask about something similar and you'll be able to find a few to help em out, someone loves Breaking Bad, they'll love Narcos or Power or The Ozarks or even The Wire. Other mediums are so deeply established, its not unusual to find sooooo many great shows about a subject or with a tone or setting or something that someone might like, in gaming...we are much more in the infancy then I think many people realize.

If someone makes 1 fucking western game, how many will jump on here telling us they are trying to be like Red Dead? Do you guys not see how odd that starts to sound when literally fucking HUNDREDS of western films exist that are all not just trying to copy 1 film or something? So we are just not there yet in gaming to have this genre be so deep, we can name multiple games that are like this, there basically is no game like The Last Of Us 1 or 2.

i'm sure we'll get there and have a whole ass list of games with dark, mature stories that are not out here catering to comic book cartoon type shit lol Its generally rare to get a game with a story on the level of some HBO, Netflix or AMC show or something. I mean, what fucking Cartel do you guys know of in real life that is out here bringing someone to their family to give them one last speech before they do them in? the fuck? lol kind of dumbass weird shit do some of you expect? lol I'd argue, what many cried about in The Last Of Us 2, made more sense on how someone REALLY would get it vs the weird shit many kept begging for or some shit.

Breaking Bad didn't fucking have Hank go quietly and his family around him and him giving some fucking heroic speech folks, us adults who watched it didn't boycott, we loved the show cause that is how someone likely would die in such a situation. Play another game or watch a fucking cartoon if you want that shit man, stop begging for games to turn into this crap that have never even entertained having such a tone in the first place. Plenty of games exist with the same safe, "good guy wins, bad guy loses" etc
breaking-bad-hank-death-scene-ozymandias-dean-norris.png

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Three years after its release, nothing has come close to the experience this game gave me. Nothing that is even in the same realm in terms of mechanics, gunplay, crafting, story, music, characters, art design, set pieces. And although many graphically impressive games have come out, neither of them were visually as impactful to me as Part II was. The moment I was riding with Joel in that intro through the country grass, I immediatly realized this game was going to be something else; and once I finished Abby Day 3, I knew that games like these come out once every decade or so.

Every single game that I have played since have felt dull, underwhelming, uninspiring, just not up that level. Part I was very good, but it feels so basic in level design and melee, and Abby Schwarzenegger is not in it. I thought RE 4 Remake was going to reignite the flame, but as much as I like the game, it just feels clunky and outdated to play when compared to Part II.

I can't even be excited anymore by new important releases (like Spidey 2, for example), because I know they won't be that special (hope to be proven wrong, though). So I keep coming back to Part II, playing it at least monthly, waiting for the day they confirm Part III and hopefuly, go for a game that is as bold and badass as the second entry was.

Hope they bring Abby BACK.
Same here. I had the same thing happen to me after the original game. Part II is right up there with my fav pieces of media ever.

It's like they made a game specifically for me.

Dark. Mature. Gritty and grimy as fuck. Yet not in a lame video gamey way like Gears of War. Hard hitting and visceral combat. Fucking godly graphics.

Nothing touched the original for me until God of War 2018.

And now, 3 years after release, nothing is even in the same fucking multiverse as the sequel. Such a fucking masterpiece of a game. For me, its sad to see that no one else can even come close.

The masterful combination of gameplay, story, presentation, writing, graphics, art, maturity, visceral ass combat, gunplay, etc is simply on another level.

The boss fights at the end were so simple in design - Yet I was so engrossed in the story that I became more invested in that boss fight than pretty much any other game ever.

It makes other games feel like toys in comparison.

ND to the rest of the industry:
954ae31b2eb83787584960be8bd62207.gif

Madflavor

I don't understand this mentality. I've never in the 30 years I've been gaming, have ever played a game so good that it ruined gaming for me and I couldn't enjoy any other games afterward. It's such a nonsense hyperbolic take.

TLOU2 and it's fans come off so high on their own supply at times. Ranting about how masterful the game is while huffing their own farts.

zeldaring

Banned
God I hate these posts that a great game ruined gaming for them. As for the game it had great gameplay but the story was terrible for me. Last of us part 1 was once a life time game though for it's time it had amazing atmosphere and a game with story that was actually great.

SpearFist

Does not even come close to the greatness of PART 1. The first half was boring and second half was quite good. Way overrated game but a good game. Returnal easily surpasses it.

Kindela

Banned
No lies detected OP. Not as good as the first one for me personally, but I see your point. Ragnarok is the closest thing probably with the production values, presentation and the animation quality in gameplay, but still not as great.
These are the type of games you buy a Playstation for.

Someone mentioned RDR 2 as a similar thing, but the gameplay is so much weaker in that game.

zeldaring

Banned
I'll never understand how you kill a character that had potential to be iconic as wolverine just to replace with a forgettable character like ABBY that at best is mid. From a business standpoint it's a horrible choice but they had to push the agenda.

Puscifer

I loved Part 2 but this post is ridiculous and reads like someone discovering heroine for the first time and knowing they'll never get that first hit feeling again.

Last edited:

Three

I held off getting the game based on some woke shit I read here on gaf until it had hit $20.

When I finally played it I found myself regretting listening to anyone here. The game was fantastic and Abby was actually pretty more likable than shit for brains Ellie.
Pretty much what happened to me. I'll just repost my comment in the thread "name a game that gets too much hate" because I agree with the OP in it too:

TLOU2. I actually was reluctant to buy it because of all the hate but I finally got round to playing it recently and it's a damn masterpiece. Makes other games feel amateur and a gen behind.

I'll never understand how you kill a character that had potential to be iconic as wolverine just to replace with a forgettable character like ABBY that at best is mid. From a business standpoint it's a horrible choice but they had to push the agenda.

Game of thrones inspiration.

zeldaring

Banned
Game of thrones inspiration.
I never watched the show, but I imagine they killed him off after a few seasons. Joel only had one game it was way to early to kill him off, maybe by the end of the third game but oh well 🤷 the goal was to push their agenda then do what makes sense.

Last edited:
I recently played through Part I remake. Was an amazing gaming experience.

Seen Part II on sale a few times and just never decided to grab it due to already being spoiled on the narrative choices.

Joel made the first game for me, not really interested in playing as Ellie. Her parts in the first game were monotonous.

Kabelly

i want to replay this so bad but I'm waiting for a PC release. I just don't want to play this at 30fps again. Plus better gyro aim.

T0minator

For me, playing The Last of Us Part 2 during the summer of 2020 was gearing me up for the next generation, the animations, the lighting, the enemy AI, just the overall brutal nature of the game gave me high hopes for next gen

..it actually made me more disappointed with the output of this current generation.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I’m replaying it now and honestly still looks way better than any so called next gen I played. I don’t know how they did it but it’s astonishing in every way. Also gameplay rock solid too. It’s perfection. Except the writing which seems never moving the story forward and just circling around characters and all without clear focus on where to move it. But everything else it’s flawless.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dragged on for too long and the setting got old fast. The whole Lev section felt like award bait. Still good but a bit of a letdown for me.

Part 1 is still their best game. Better pacing, story, and overall felt like a bigger adventure despite being only half as long.
The only part of the game that dragged for me was some of Ellie’s campaign

Bartski

Gold Member
For me, playing The Last of Us Part 2 during the summer of 2020 was gearing up for the next generation, I wanna thinking how the animations, the lighting, the enemy AI, just the overall brutal nature of the game have me high hopes for next gen

..it actually made me more disappointed with the output of this current generation.
Same. I keep it installed and sometimes play Encounters (awesome feature btw), back to back with games targeting current gen... Just goes to show how far ahead of the curve ND really is

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Decent gameplay, great visuals, terrible story written with worst possible intentions and butchered by hubris of the author.

I certainly have no intention of ever replaying it again.
Incredible story that dares to go against the fan’s expectations in order to create real emotions like real grief and sadness.
The author used the story to manipulate us on the rollercoaster of emotions like no other game.
Thanks to his courage, one of the stories ever was created.

You know who doesn’t like it? People with zero empathy. People who still want Abby dead by the end of the game don’t like the game. Those who don’t, probably liked it.
If someone still wants Abby dead by the end and still calls her mr muscles, this means you got a heart of stone brotha.

I am happy they did that rather than Another identical happy go lucky adventures of Joel volume 17.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Incredible story that dares to go against the fan’s expectations in order to create real emotions like real grief and sadness.
The author used the story to manipulate us on the rollercoaster of emotions like no other game.
Thanks to his courage, one of the stories ever was created.

You know who doesn’t like it? People with zero empathy. People who still want Abby dead by the end of the game don’t like the game. Those who don’t, probably liked it.
If someone still wants Abby dead by the end and still calls her mr muscles, this means you got a heart of stone brotha.

I am happy they did that rather than Another identical happy go lucky adventures of Joel volume 17.
Wow, you're so brave and beterer than everyone else for having that opinion.

Personally I didn't like Part II. I really liked 2... and II was pretty good... I go back and forth between 3 and Super. Most people didn't like VIII or IX but those were really the only ones I played so I thought they were kind of fun. Mostly I've just been playing <no modifier available> so what do I know?

BbMajor7th

It's a great game and though it is too long, it's still very replayable.

If they were intending to make a game that would stick with people long after the credits rolled and that people would still be arguing about years later, I'd say they absolutely smashed it. In fact, they over-delivered: just look at how many heads Abby has been living rent free in these past three years.

Who knew that after Postal and Hatred, gaming's last taboo was muscly women.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Joel is not the hero. That's what makes him different.

Bruce Wayne becomes Batman and protects the city of Gotham. The story allows new threats to enter and make the story more intriguing.

Joel? The only real direction in Joel's story would be to reconcile with Ellie. But that wouldn't make for an interesting game because a game needs an opposing threat and conflict. What's also different is that Ellie's immunity is the plot device that pushes this story forward. Joel can't play the protector of Ellie because they both have opposing interests.

SirTerry-T

I prescribe half hour shots of TxK, three times daily via original or emulated Vita hardware.

That should sort your ailment out.

GrayChild

I don't understand this mentality. I've never in the 30 years I've been gaming, have ever played a game so good that it ruined gaming for me and I couldn't enjoy any other games afterward. It's such a nonsense hyperbolic take.

TLOU2 and it's fans come off so high on their own supply at times. Ranting about how masterful the game is while huffing their own farts.

So much this.

Both TLoU games are some of the most overrated titles in history.

Also, I legitimately bursted out laughing when one of the HBO producers called the first part "the greatest story told in gaming". Considering we're talking about the medium that gave us stuff like Silent Hill 2, SOMA, Pathologic, Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Yakuza and god knows how many others, this is not even top 30 material.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
TLOU 2 was amazing. I remember playing it and having so many great moments. The "tower" level, where you go from the top of a building to the ground is one of my best gaming memories ever. I consider myself lucky to have been one of the people that Naughty Dog managed to get with their plans. I can understand that some people did not get it, like Death Stranding was not for everyone. But when/if you are in the right mind space, those games are amazing. I remember my feelings at the end of TLOU. The game was heavy. I was mentally tired but content. Satiated in a sense. And with this sentiment above all else: after that you can do whatever you want, I will trust you. I had those feelings after games like MGS2 and GOW 2018. After such a high it is normal that other games get to feel a little weak for a time. This year we have Armored Core, Spider man 2, Starfield... that will hopefully be more masterpieces and make us feel what no other medium can.
So much this.

Both TLoU games are some of the most overrated titles in history.
What about Zelda or GOW then? That objectively the TLOU games are not top 30 may be right. But it is like saying that The Lord of the Rings are not top 30 films of all time. It does not make sense even if true. There is a lot of great games. But how and when do we discover them can change greatly depending of the person. Tetris is one of the best games ever made. But it does not have the same appeal that TLOU had . Different aims and different results. How many people played your best games in the right time, with the right mindset? Those games being good does not make TLOU bad. A little exageration from someone wanting to hype their product is not that bad.

Hudo

Weird. Part II ruined that style of Naughty Dog games for me (and killed my interest in TLoU as an IP).

And I mean "ruined" as in "I don't have any desire to play a game like that again".

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Joel is not the hero. That's what makes him different.

Bruce Wayne becomes Batman and protects the city of Gotham. The story allows new threats to enter and make the story more intriguing.

Joel? The only real direction in Joel's story would be to reconcile with Ellie. But that wouldn't make for an interesting game because a game needs an opposing threat and conflict. What's also different is that Ellie's immunity is the plot device that pushes this story forward. Joel can't play the protector of Ellie because they both have opposing interests.
I can think of way more interesting things with Joel in Elllie, then a stupid revenge is bad story. How about ellie girlfriend get kidnapped and joel and ellie team up to save her and on the way, Maybe something happens where joels brother get killed because of ellie and it causes a rift between them. Did you watch walking dead? you can literately make up a million scenarios for the story to continue

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I can think of way more interesting things with Joel in Elllie, then a stupid revenge is bad story. How about ellie girlfriend get kidnapped and joel and ellie team up to save her and on the way, Maybe something happens where joels brother get killed because of ellie and it causes a rift between them. Did you watch walking dead ?you can literately make up a million scenarios for the story to continue

Creating a story is not that easy.

Why would they kidnap Ellie's girlfriend? Why would they be holding her hostage? What would they be saving her from? How does this tie into the overall story of The Last of Us with the Fireflies and Ellie's immunity? It's already established that Ellie was willing to give herself, so there's nothing the people holding her captive could bargain her with. She's a willing participant.

There was no endgame with the Walking Dead and that's why the story became stale and repetitive. You had new factions as a threat and they were moving from one location to another fighting for survival. It was basically the same story with small differences. The main plot device for The Last of Us is Ellie's immunity. That's what makes it different than The Walking Dead.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Wow, you're so brave and beterer than everyone else for having that opinion.
You come into a thread where someone discusses what they like about a game just to shit on it point out how much you didn’t like “intentions” and “hubris” of the author and that you will never, ever play the game again… and sarcastically accuse someone who *does* like it of virtue signalling? What the fuck is wrong with you?

zeldaring

Banned
Creating a story is not that easy.

Why would they kidnap Ellie's girlfriend? Why would they be holding her hostage? What would they be saving her from? How does this tie into the overall story of The Last of Us with the Fireflies and Ellie's immunity? It's already established that Ellie was willing to give herself, so there's nothing the people holding her captive could bargain her with. She's a willing participant.

There was no endgame with the Walking Dead and that's why the story became stale and repetitive. You had new factions as a threat and they were moving from one location to another fighting for survival. It was basically the same story with small differences. The main plot device for The Last of Us is Ellie's immunity. That's what makes it different than The Walking Dead.
Walking dead didn't get stale for like 5 or 6 seasons. They could literally come up with 100s of ideas. stop act ling like its hard.how about abby killing ellies friends and joel and ellie wanna get revenge, boom, done.

looking at breaking bad what was the story about? a teacher and his student having a relationship and selling drugs. they made that go for 5 seasons.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Walking dead didn't get stale for like 5 or 6 seasons. They could literally come up with 100s of ideas. stop act ling like its hard.how about abby killing ellies friends and joel and ellie wanna get revenge, boom, done.
You need a story that makes sense and that creates enough conflict to where you have a common threat.

What's her motivation for killing Ellie's friends? How does it connect to the main story? You can't just say, "This person killed my friends, so I want revenge." The antagonist needs to have believable motivation that no only connects to the overall plot, but to the main character as well (other than just being a GF of the dead woman).

The ratings for The Walking Dead started to decline during season 7. Season 6 was the beginning of Negan. After this, you had the Whisperers and the Commonwealth. It became repetitive because we have seen the same formula before.

Rick found his family in the mountain and retreated
They made it to the farm and retreated
They made it to the prison and retreated
They fought against the governor and won
They fought against the saviors and won
They fought against whisperers and won.
They bought against the Commonwealth and won.

There are many underlining stories with Shane, Negan's redemption arc, etc, but it's still very much similar.

If a series goes on too long, then we're just going to start seeing the same things over and over again. You can create a story, but an intriguing one is another story. That's why the series has declined for The Walking Dead.

Top Bottom