• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part II ruined gaming for me

zeldaring

Banned
If you did, then you would know Horizon, God of War, and Spider-Man were all discounted quickly, which makes your statement false.
Last of part 2 was 10$ 9 months ago at gamestop
I never seen GOT go that cheap, never mind that last of part 1 was sony biggest franchise being matched by new ip's and being blown away be GOW and spiderman.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Last of part 2 was 10$ 9 months ago at gamestop
I never seen GOT go that cheap, never mind that last of part 1 was sony biggest franchise being matched by new ip's and being blown away be GOW and spiderman.

God of War was $19.99 after a year and a half. It was as low as $9.99 shortly after.

Horizon

Spider-Man
19.99. Note this game includes all the DLC. Overall, the discount was a bit steep if you consider the value of it all.

You clearly haven't been following. lol

Sony hasn't been marking down their PS5 releases that often which is why Ghost of Tsushima, and Horizon Forbidden West have remained at a higher price point compared to the PS4 releases.

So based on your logic, Spider-Man and God of War on the PS4 didn't sell well since they were as low as $9.99

DeepSpace5D

Phenomenal game. I beat it earlier this year on Grounded Mode NG+ with permadeath by chapter for 100% trophy completion. A very intense experience, especially in Downtown Seattle where I was like 5 hours into the chapter, and any death would have me restarting from scratch.

Abby day 2 and 3 is some of the best work Naughty Dog has done.

HL3.exe

You lost all sense of credibility with this comment
Walking-talking bit -> combat area, kill all the npc (or sneak past them) -> go through door/gate for next area -> another combat arena -> safe zone where walk slow and can't draw weapons, NPC expose. Etc

Rinse and repeat.
I'm not saying it's bad, it's just a tried and true structure they haven't veered off of since the first Uncharted (which was inspired by 'Tomb Raider meets Gears of War').

Edit: in Part II, the first open bit with the map. They've should've tried and stick with that. Smaller hub like spaces that you can explore with nonlinear problem solving. To bad they end up sticking to there tired predictable structure for the rest of the game.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
God of War was $19.99 after a year and a half. It was as low as $9.99 shortly after.

Horizon

Spider-Man
19.99. Note this game includes all the DLC. Overall, the discount was a bit steep if you consider the value of it all.

You clearly haven't been following. lol

Sony hasn't been marking down their PS5 releases that often which is why Ghost of Tsushima, and Horizon Forbidden West have remained at a higher price point compared to the PS4 releases.

So based on your logic, Spider-Man and God of War on the PS4 didn't sell well since they were as low as $9.99
No because Spiderman and GOW while being discounted have vasty outsold last of us part 2. Again last of us went from Sony biggest franchise to just matching or barely beating new sony ip's in a time where video game sales of AAA games are exploding. Example look at what GOW ragnorak did a sequel to a loved game 11 million in 3 months, just look at Nintendo franchise all breaking records as well.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Walking-talking bit -> combat area, kill all the npc (or sneak past them) -> go through door/gate for next area -> another combat arena -> safe zone where walk slow and can't draw weapons, NPC expose. Etc

Rinse and repeat.
I'm not saying it's bad, it's just a tried and true structure they haven't veered off of since the first Uncharted (which was inspired by 'Tomb Raider meets Gears of War').
All games are like this. You can do the same for any genre. Meaning, any game can be "boiled down to You do X, then Y and then Z, same as _____ back in 2006". Game design has not changed since the PS3 era. This is known by everyone who is not an industry apologist shill who never criticizes games/developers.
TLOU 2 is simply the perfection of this design.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

All games are like this. You can do the same for any genre. Game design has not changed since the PS3 era. This is known by everyone who is not an industry apologist.
TLOU 2 is the perfection of this design.
Nah, plenty of ways to grow. More systemic and reactive hybrid. More 'immersive sim' inspired design where your past play style actions matter in the future. Stuff like that.

It's just that, the focus on visuals/presentation and investment risks are what's holding back experiment with established design structures.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No because Spiderman and GOW while being discounted have vasty outsold last of us part 2. Again last of us went from Sony biggest franchise to just matching or barely beating new ip's in a time where video game sales of AAA games are exploding. Example look at hat GOW ragnorak did a sequel to a loved game 11 million in 3 months.

No, you tried to use the $9.99 discount as proof that it underperformed and it didn't work. Now you have to move the goalpost.

God of War has been bundled with PlayStation 5 consoles ever since the game launched. Any game bundled that much is going to receive a huge boost in sales. Since you're just going to keep moving that goalpost, then I have nothing else to say. Your claim was debunked rather quickly. I would suggest not getting your talking points from the tlou2 subreddit.

DeepSpace5D

Rinse and repeat.

Edit: in Part II, the first open bit with the map. They've should've tried and stick with that. Smaller hub like spaces that you can explore with nonlinear problem solving. To bad they end up sticking to there tired predictable structure for the rest of the game.
There’s a lot more exploration of the environment and resource gathering in TLoU II compared with any Gears game that I’ve played. At least from my memory. Quite a few optional areas that are off the beaten path, with collectibles and things to discover.

Uncharted 4 started to get sections like this with the Madagascar chapter, but it was expanded upon greatly in TLoU: Part II.

The previous Uncharted games were far more linear of a design.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Nah, plenty of ways to grow. More systemic and reactive hybrid. More 'immersive sim' inspired design where your past play style actions matter in the future. Stuff like that.

It's just that, the focus on visuals/presentation and investment risks are what's holding back experiment with established design structures.
Disagree with visuals/presentation being the enemy. Those things are important. A well presented and beautiful game enhances the experience.

The true enemy is bloat and game length. Games do not need to be 30 hours. Thats literally 3 seasons of Television. Make games shorter again. 5-10 hours instead of 30+ And focus on design and tech.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Rinse and repeat.

simplifying it in this way is nonsensical, people complain when its less linear and when it opens up its too big and boring.

you never win with people, if they (game fans and critics) stopped complaining about everything thats new we'd have new ideas.

zeldaring

Banned
No, you tried to use the $9.99 discount as proof that it underperformed and it didn't work. Now you have to move the goalpost.

God of War has been bundled with PlayStation 5 consoles ever since the game launched. Any game bundled that much is going to receive a huge boost in sales. Since you're just going to keep moving that goalpost, then I have nothing else to say. Your claim was debunked rather quickly. I would suggest not getting your talking points from the tlou2 subreddit.
GOW was bundled but you basically had to pay 50$ cause you could have bought a ps5 for 469$ when most of the sales came. aside from that you keep ignoring that you are the one that keeps moving goal posts and the fact the biggest critically and most hyped sony game went basically to the best selling sony game to the sequel barely being able to beat new Sony ip's in sales like HORIZON and GOT.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
GOW was bundled but you basically had to pay 50$ cause you could have bought a ps5 for 469$ when most of the sales came. aside from that you keep ignoring that you are the one that keeps moving goal posts and the fact the biggest critically and most hyped sony game went basically to the best selling sony game to the sequel barely being able to beat new Sony ip's in sales like HORIZON and GOT.
Ghost of Tsushima was re-released on the PS5. The sales increased as shown on the NPD charts when the director's cut version re-released. Horizon Forbidden West and Horizon Zero Down were both bundled. NPD doesn't count bundles towards sales, yet The Last of Us Part II was able to make more revenue in the US in less than 2 months in comparison to Horizon Zero Dawn.

People were buying God of War bundles early on when consoles were still hard to find. Fact still remains, there wasn't much of an option early on when people wanted one.

If you want to go even further.

PlayStation Sales Charts + GSD Ranking
November - US 8th - EU - 7th

April - EU - 12th
August - EU - 16th
October - EU - 11th
November - US - 16th - EU - 6th

March - US - 15th - EU - 13th
April - US - 14th - EU - 11th | Last of Us Part II sold over 10 million copies
August - US - 10th - EU - 7th
September - US - 11th - EU - 15th | Last of Us Part I release date
November - US - 4th - EU - 4th | 12th GSD Europe
December - US - 7th - EU - 5th - JP - 15th

January - US - 7th - EU - 7th | Last of Us Show TV Premiere
February - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 9th | 18th NPD | 7th GSD Europe
March - US - 9th - EU - 10th | Season Finale
April - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 15th | 5th GSD Europe

Translation: Last of Us Part II sold 2.8 million copies from Nov 2020 to April 2022. This is based on the Player Data Stats (which stated 7.2 million players on Nov 19, 2020) along with the sales announcement of 10 million copies sold.

The Last of Us Part II has been tracking high on the sales charts ever Since Last of Us Part I was released, something Ghost of Tsushima hasn't done within the same time frame. This game was also helped by the HBO TV Show.

This means the gap is even wider ever since the 10 million sales announcement.

If 2.8 million copies were sold within the Nov 2020-April 2022 timeframe, then The Last of Us Part II likely exceeded that 2.8 million mark by a lot from August 2022-April 2023.

Making the Top 12 on the Europe charts 3 times within the past year is actually great. If The Last of Us PS5 version is released, then it's only going to crease even more.

Again, you're just going to make excuses. You're going to discredit this and it's going to be predictable.

I'm done lol

zeldaring

Banned
Ghost of Tsushima was re-released on the PS5. The sales increased as shown on the NPD charts when the director's cut version re-released. Horizon Forbidden West and Horizon Zero Down were both bundled. NPD doesn't count bundles towards sales, yet The Last of Us Part II was able to make more revenue in the US in less than 2 months in comparison to Horizon Zero Dawn.

People were buying God of War bundles early on when consoles were still hard to find. Fact still remains, there wasn't much of an option early on when people wanted one.

If you want to go even further.

Translation: Last of Us Part II sold 2.8 million copies from Nov 2020 to April 2022. This is based on the Player Data Stats (which stated 7.2 million players on Nov 19, 2020) along with the sales announcement of 10 million copies sold.

The Last of Us Part II has been tracking high on the sales charts ever Since Last of Us Part I was released, something Ghost of Tsushima hasn't done within the same time frame. This game was also helped by the HBO TV Show.

This means the gap is even wider ever since the 10 million sales announcement.

If 2.8 million copies were sold within the Nov 2020-April 2022 timeframe, then The Last of Us Part II likely exceeded that 2.8 million mark by a lot from August 2022-April 2023.

Making the Top 12 on the Europe charts 3 times within the past year is actually great. If The Last of Us PS5 version is released, then it's only going to crease even more.

Again, you're just going to make excuses. You're going to discredit this and it's going to be predictable.

I'm done lol
I'm not gonna read all that. all we need to know last of us part 2 sales are very close to new sony ip's and was discounted heavily many times to 10$ i don't need to hear your second defense force argument we already heard the first one defending the story acting like it's impossible to continue the story with out killing joel lol. you gonna keep pretending that bad word of mouth online doesn't matter while GOW raganorak outsold in 2 months, compared 2 years of last of us part 2. then you have new sony ips with much lower critical acclaim and metarcritic scores neck and neck and sales lol.

Ghost of tsushami new IP with 83 metracritic 9.7 million in 2 years
last of us part 2 93 metracritic sequel to the most loved sony game over 10 million in 2 years

If someone told you 2 years ago they would be close in sales people would laugh at you but ND shit the bed

I'm not gonna read all that. all we need to know last of us part 2 sales are very close to new sony ip's and was discounted heavily many times to 10$ i don't need to hear your second defense force argument we already heard the first one defending the story acting like it's impossible to continue the story with out killing joel lol. you gonna keep pretending that bad word of mouth online doesn't matter while GOW raganorak outsold in 2 months, compared 2 years of last of us part 2. then you have new sony ips with much lower critical acclaim and metarcritic scores neck and neck and sales lol.

Ghost of tsushami new IP with 83 metracritic 9.7 million in 2 years
last of us part 2 93 metracritic sequel to the most loved sony game over 10 million in 2 years

If someone told you 2 years ago they would be close in sales people would laugh at you but ND shit the bed

It's getting tiresome that after 3 years, people are still downplaying Part II, the 10 million units were as of Spring 2022, the game never received a proper PS5 version nor DLC like GOT, is good that GOT is doing so great and Sony couldn't be happier as both games are from the same company.

With the Show this year, it's very possible that Part II already passed the 15 million mark and still continue to sell, if the game receives a proper PS5 version it will pass the 20m. mark

As for the $10 price point, I only remember that price was last Black Friday and the game still retails at $40 (at least digital).

Last edited:
Bruce Wayne isn't a hero. He's billionaire brat who spends his inheritance on tooling up so he can beat the shit out of people on the lowest rungs of the social ladder, all so rich twats like his mum and dad can wander the streets at their leisure.

The best way to fight crime if you're a billionaire is to invest in infrastructure and social mobility programs to help lift people out of poverty, not wander the streets after dark knocking people's teeth out.

You never see Batman taking down some rich twat who's profiteering has damaged the livelihoods of thousands - no, always some 'thug' whose only crime is not to be a major benefactor of the system.
Nice take.

You are actually spot on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bruce Wayne isn't a hero. He's billionaire brat who spends his inheritance on tooling up so he can beat the shit out of people on the lowest rungs of the social ladder, all so rich twats like his mum and dad can wander the streets at their leisure.

The best way to fight crime if you're a billionaire is to invest in infrastructure and social mobility programs to help lift people out of poverty, not wander the streets after dark knocking people's teeth out.

You never see Batman taking down some rich twat who's profiteering has damaged the livelihoods of thousands - no, always some 'thug' whose only crime is not to be a major benefactor of the system.

zeldaring

Banned
It's getting tiresome that after 3 years, people are still downplaying Part II, the 10 million units were as of Spring 2022, the game never received a proper PS5 version nor DLC like GOT, is good that GOT is doing so great and Sony couldn't be happier as both games are from the same company.

With the Show this year, it's very possible that Part II already passed the 15 million mark and still continue to sell, if the game receives a proper PS5 version it will pass the 20m. mark

As for the $10 price point, I only remember that price was last Black Friday and the game still retails at $40 (at least digital).
Not really downplaying the game just stating facts. last of us was loved by everyone and it was in terms of sales easily the biggest sony game by far, even compared Nintendo games it was one of the top sellers at the time. Now it's just selling slightly better then horizon and GOT which are new ip's. the comparison to GOT and last of part 2 were exactly 2 years after release. Mean while GOW ragnorak did 11 million in 3 months and TOTK did 10 million in 3 days so it's disappointing to me anyway the last of us didn't go to the next level when many franchises sequels are exploding in terms of sales, but expected since ND made a story they wanted and didn't really care for what the fans wanted.

Last edited:
I might play it one day when it is free on PS+

But then again maybe not. I already have a growing backlog of games I rather play.

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
The end of part 1 is really the end of the story. We got part 2 because the video game industry is sequel driven.

What people should keep in mind is that a game having a sequel is vastly different than a show/movie having another season/sequel. In the latter two you can't easily innovate. It's all about the story/characters most likely.

Games are different since you can do gameplay changes and change the whole game design from the first part if you'd like. Plus 7 years that have passed between tlou2 1 and 2 meant we got another console generation in the meantime. Which means a newer hardver to show what you can do with your game. The movie industry won't receive a drastic visual upgrade in 7 years, nor you can easily create something that's as big of a change as going from let's say linear to open world in game sequels.

All this to say, a game can have a perfectly justifyable sequel even if the story is considered finished by many. You want to show the new gameplay, animations, level design, progression, without caring as much if the story should've been continued.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The_Legend_of_Zelda_Tears_of_the_Kingdom_cover.jpg
Thread winners

5cV.gif

Rayderism

LOL! Abby? Eww!

I'm sorry but TLOU2 abandoned/alienated everything that made the original game endearing to gamers as soon as a certain character died. Why else do you think the reviewers were forced to omit the entire plot of the 2nd part of the game in their so-called reviews?

Yes, the game had good graphics, presentation and some improvements to gameplay, but the story took a bad turn with "they/them/it" (whatever) Abby.

But I wonder how much less the game would have sold if people knew how things were going to go in that 2nd half at release. Remember, they even BS'd a screenshot with a different character to hide the fact that a certain person died.

Maori

Neo Member
Never have I played a game with a wider gap between gameplay (amazing) and Storyline (Abysmal).

Enjoyed it thoroughly, in spite of the ridiculous, nonsensical storyline, that made me not care about any character. None.

Banjo64

cumsessed
That objectively the TLOU games are not top 30 may be right. But it is like saying that The Lord of the Rings are not top 30 films of all time.

A ridiculous comparison.

Before LotR: high fantasy was seen as something very niche for virgin nerds.

After LotR: high fantasy became a legitimate mainstream interest.

Impacted an entire genre and positively changed the attitude towards it.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Needless to say thats just IMHO, but...

Worst sequel to a video game ever, and I dont think it will ever be topped, cant imagine another franchise going from GOAT to GREATEST SHIT OF ALL TIME , just one game later, all that needed to be discussed about this game already has been ad nauseam so no point doing that again.

That been said, the marketing campaign for this game was as misleading and fraudulent as the barbie movie, so, congratulations I guess, lets see if they can pull this off a third time with the sequel or even with their next game, I wont be buying thats for sure.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
A ridiculous comparison.

Before LotR: high fantasy was seen as something very niche for virgin nerds.

After LotR: high fantasy became a legitimate mainstream interest.

Impacted an entire genre and positively changed the attitude towards it.
I loved the LOTR films too. And consider them some of the better films I have ever seen. But if someone told me that they are not in the top 30 films of all time, I would not mind it that much. Same for TLOU. I am curious of wich film would work better in your mind for my comparison?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I loved the LOTR films too. And consider them some of the better films I have ever seen. But if someone told me that they are not in the top 30 films of all time, I would not mind it that much. Same for TLOU. I am curious of wich film would work better in your mind for my comparison?
Something well written but not revolutionary and iconic.

Like the original Super Mario Bros movie.

Unbelievable scale compared to the first one and so much more polished. A huge improvement in virtually every aspect which you just don't see these days.

I was a little sad Khalid was killed off screen as he grew on me in Part 1 but it showed you that Irenicus meant business I guess.

Worst sequel to a video game ever, and I dont think it will ever be topped, cant imagine another franchise going from GOAT to GREATEST SHIT OF ALL TIME , just one game later, all that needed to be discussed about this game already has been ad nauseam so no point doing that again.

That been said, the marketing campaign for this game was as misleading and fraudulent as the barbie movie, so, congratulations I guess, lets see if they can pull this off a third time with the sequel or even with their next game, I wont be buying thats for sure.
Either you haven’t played too many games or trolling, but there are many many more sequels to choose from, Devil May Cry 2, Earthworm Jim 2 and so much much more.

Instead, it seems that a lot of people are with part II being the worst sequel ever.

MagnesD3

LOL! Abby? Eww!

I'm sorry but TLOU2 abandoned/alienated everything that made the original game endearing to gamers as soon as a certain character died. Why else do you think the reviewers were forced to omit the entire plot of the 2nd part of the game in their so-called reviews?

Yes, the game had good graphics, presentation and some improvements to gameplay, but the story took a bad turn with "they/them/it" (whatever) Abby.

But I wonder how much less the game would have sold if people knew how things were going to go in that 2nd half at release. Remember, they even BS'd a screenshot with a different character to hide the fact that a certain person died.
Oh I definitely agree that Part 1 is the only reason Part 2 sold well, if it was Part 2 alone it would have sold way way less probably around horizon numbers. Part 1 did all the leg work for sny sales chart youll see lol.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
"[Insert game here] has ruined gaming for me."
No, it hasn't. Anyone saying this pablum needs to play more games. Preferably anything prior to 2005.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It didnt ruin anything about gaming for me whatsoever and I loved it all three times I played through it and Ill tell ya, that whole Hillcrest segment as Ellie when you're going through that overgrown Seattle suburb with the grey rainy clouds in the sky....its one of the greatest, and most memorable and beautiful combat encounters in any game Ive ever played hands down.

bDGuBx8.jpg

Last edited:

Hugare

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

You people wouldnt survive if Kojima had launched MGS 2 today

Luckily the internet was in its infancy back then, so we didnt have so many cry babies

Yeah, lets put "we will be killing one of our main protags" on the cover next time, ND, please

Fbh

Eh, was a solid 7/10 game for me

-Amazing visuals and great combat.
-Way too long like most games these days and I'm not a fan of the structure that makes you start with a new character in the middle of the game right when you finally have a lot of tools, weapons and skills with Ellie.
-Story was good but would have been better without the whole Owen and friends bits which dragged.
- Samey environments except for the one cool bit on the Island.
-The gameplay when you aren't fighting is boring as fuck, and it's like half of what you do in the game : Walk around basic and mostly empty locations to open mostly empty drawers and occasionally find the same handful of crafting materials, or solve a dumb find the safe combination "puzzle".
- Awful pacing like all Druckmann games

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Oh I definitely agree that Part 1 is the only reason Part 2 sold well, if it was Part 2 alone it would have sold way way less probably around horizon numbers. Part 1 did all the leg work for sny sales chart youll see lol.
horizon franchise total numbers 33 million vs 37 million for last of us franchise. Not far off at all considering last of us came out in 2013. Really after last of us part 2 probably killing the momentum of the franchise its just selling like your average Big sony IP, it's no longer a juggernaut for sony.

Robbinhood

Banned
I'm dying to replay this but i keep hearing about an upgrade coming. I can't wait anymore, i might just give in and play it. Recently finished TLOU pt 1 so I'm damn ready.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I gave up with the game not that far into it and played something better.......not sure what that was either

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

You people wouldnt survive if Kojima had launched MGS 2 today

Luckily the internet was in its infancy back then, so we didnt have so many cry babies

Yeah, lets put "we will be killing one of our main protags" on the cover next time, ND, please
Played MGS 2 ... is my favorite MGS them 1 and them 3 and 4 ... great game .. so big fuck you to you my friend .. have a nice day

As long as Part 2 was a great game and a masterpiece like MGS2 for me fuck the misleading campaign .. it was not the case

Last edited:
Top Bottom