• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
KR6Ewm.jpeg

KR661i.jpeg

KR6CKo.jpeg

KR6Jf9.jpeg

KR6V02.jpeg

KR69qv.jpeg

KR6dYC.jpeg

Where'd you get that dope jacket and the jewelry

Markio128

Almost done with Ellie Seattle Day 3…makes me laugh that there was distress about killing dogs in this game. First thing I do in a sequence with dogs is fuckin blast their heads off, fuck them fake dogs.

Arf!
I’ve literally just bought a puppy, but after cleaning that shitty little arse’s poop up for the umpteenth time, I’m ready for some dog blasting myself. It should be cathartic.

Flabagast

It's funny that everyone praises Hillcrest so much.

Sure encouter design is solid, but I found that it was a really unnecessary segue that does not bring anything narratively to the table (outside of finding Jesse) and participated in bloating the game's duration over all. It would have been better without it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Sure encouter design is solid, but I found that it was a really unnecessary segue that does not bring anything narratively to the table (outside of finding Jesse) and participated in bloating the game's duration over all. It would have been better without it.

It might not bring anything strong to the narrative, but its far from unnecessary. It's the first super dense, wide open battle zone where pretty much everything you've learned about combat, sense of direction, and stealth maneuvering up to that point is put to task. And you're alone. That's at least how I've always seen it.

Topher

Gold Member
On my first play through that moment for me was Hillcrest.

Such a great level. Intense, but satisfying. You just didn't think the enemies would ever stop coming.

Hard disagree. That level was fun as hell. I remember it distinctly from the first playthrough and it is one of the levels that Iooked forward to the most in this one. Better without it? No way

Last edited:

Vick

Hillcrest is possibly my favorite section of the entire game. For sure my most replayed.

You're alone, best human encounters, superb visuals/art direction, wonderful exploration, unparalleled atmosphere.

My opinion on the game as a whole would likely be considerably different without it.

Eiknarf

Banned
Dude I forgot how fucking amazeballs the whole trek to the hospital with Lev is just AAAA level design. It’s just non stop unique interior after unique interior with an incredibly beautiful and cohesive pathway to the top.

HrBmVWD.jpg
nLcwWRV.jpg
YL89Gel.jpg
kJtxLaG.jpg
What you said/wrote is the reason these games (TLOU I and II) get remade and remastered:
1. they feel AAAA.
2. there’s no other games like it
3. the gameplay loop
4. the story

I sometimes feel like I need to rest after some encounters

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
"That" moment for me was the first time Ellie meets the Seraphites. I've never felt truly hunted by AI enemies like that before or since. The way they whistle to each other, and you don't know exactly what they're communicating, but they are communicating and acting on that information, and it's all for the sake of malevolence towards you...intense.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Damn I should change up some outfits. And kill more dogs

"That" moment for me was the first time Ellie meets the Seraphites. I've never felt truly hunted by AI enemies like that before or since. The way they whistle to each other, and you don't know exactly what they're communicating, but they are communicating and acting on that information, and it's all for the sake of malevolence towards you...intense.

Yeah I agree with this, besides the dog slaying it felt pretty same-y to the first game in most ways but that first Seraphite encounter was like oh shit these guys are whistling psychopaths

Last edited:
This game looks too good. It's just insane. I don't see this ever looking bad, even by the time we're on PS8.

While the game aims for a realistic presentation it has a slight cartoony/stylized feel to the materials and textures that make it so appealing instead of bland. Naughty Dog games have that feel and it's so awesome.

They have a matte finish quality to them

saintjules

I thought it was a pretty good filler segment to flex the game's performance. But I can see what you mean about having real no need for it.

Bartski

Gold Member
Some quick tips for Grounded No Return with the goal of just surviving a run without cheats:

1. Factions stash pick up trick works - press and HOLD triangle next to supply box to pick up multiple items in one swipe.

2. Hunted: forget going against human in tight areas like gondolas. Infected can be outrun just by sprinting around the arena except stalkers than flank you to grab you. When that happens and there is a clicker after you - you're dead. Try having a shiv on you for safety

3. Assault: Human in grounded have John Wick aim, infected are always easier just due to no ranged attacks. Unless it's the invisible enemies mod, avoid at all cost. Assault against infected is universally the easiest type of an encounter, even if starting in combat.

4. Assault: always make sure to leave the last enemy alive in a wave to collect ALL supplies. Same goes for

5. Capture: honestly, this is grounded - forget about grabbing the safe in time. Not worth it - with this approach those are the easiest fights against human, unless its encounter 4 or 5 - there go against 6+ half of which are in combat and agressively go flanking your position. Makes more sense to keep it slow and leave the final enemy alive to collect all supplies in the level.

6. Avoid increased enemy health on human, especially rattlers, it's the worst right next to mirror mode and invisible infected. BUT

7. Leg shot + melee instakill is the highest scored kill per enemy and in practice way easier to pull than headshot. Works also against increase enemy health mod!

8. Human are programmed to see you aiming at them out of cover at distance, you have about one second to land a shot before they duck and start firing at you. Not the case in prone, so it's often a better idea to go prone and shoot them crawling next to a cover.

9. Use your shit! Don't hoard AOEs etc. you'll get them back crafting and/or in the shop.

10. Aim well, don't get hit. Shoot it until it dies.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned

Explain yourself Gaf 🤨
Im currently on my second play through.
And in between plays, I hop into No Return for a quick run with a different character, just to change things up.

But yeah, I’m not surprised there’s been a surge followed by a big drop. It had a long way to fall because it re-climbed so high.
The main game is still the same. We’ve played it for three and a half years now.

When Ghost of Tsushima came out for the PS5 there wasn’t even as big of a boost, so there wasn’t a big fall.

It’s all relative

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Explain yourself Gaf 🤨

Using 3.2 million active PSN accounts as our sample, we can see that 72% of players simply stopped playing the game after a week.

Yes, only a small portion of gamers were tracked. This is some really good insight here.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

Strategize

So, bit of a random take, but I feel like they made the wrong choice with ending song of the game. Beyond Desolation is a good track, but it doesn't strike me as the game ender in my opinion.

Part I's ending choice was perfection with The Path (A New Beginning). The initial build-up playing throughout Joel's lie and Ellie's processing of it, stopping on the "Okay" then dropping into the full tune on the Naughty Dog logo, is one of gaming's most iconic moments. I just don't feel that same level of impact here despite the final imagery and cinematography being excellent.

I'm actually stunned they didn't use Future Days here, considering the meaning it has to the game, the amount times Ellie tries and fails to play it throughout the game, even in the ending with two fingers missing. The last time the player would've heard the full version was at the very beginning of the game when Joel sang it to Ellie, so I think bookending the game with the official version would've hit like an absolute freight train, it just makes so much sense I have to assume they weren't allowed to use it.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I had to go up to my parents’ house to be with my sister as she put her dog down last night, and that’s the song I sent her after it was done and I left.

Vick

That Tommy No Return second challenge took me hours for fuck sake.. fifth time I died in that crazy Rattler boss encounter fight I said fuck it and switched to Moderate. Bizarre to make it second when the following two took me two minutes total. I'm addicted to the mode by the way, every ND game should have bonus content like this.

Tried the Jesse Grounded Daily Challenge yesterday with no accessibility and had a power outage while collecting resources before killing the last shotgun Seraphite in Resort..
So far he's by far my favorite to play with, gonna try the just unlocked Joel now.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ellie's "Shut up" once you upgrade your stealth kills goes hard.

I'm glad they went with the ending they did, for the reasons not-Neil in that video mentions.
"Real convenient for Ellie to stop killing only once she gets to her final goal." Nah, they set it up well. Ellie has to psych herself up in the first place to initiate the last fight with Abby; Ellie gets the upper hand and is about to kill her, then remembers Joel wouldn't want this for her and can't continue. It works.

Even with the empty house and Ellie's difficulty playing guitar to close the game out, I think it's hopeful because, yes, the damage has been done, but I get the impression Ellie will change for the better moving forward.

Oh, and I also like how Ellie inadvertently does a very heroic thing in freeing all those people locked up in the Rattler camp while on her murder-Abby quest. Doing the right thing for the "wrong" reason vs doing the wrong thing for the "right" reason.
Joel wouldn’t want this for Ellie?

If roles were reversed, you can bet Joel would’ve been a bat out of hell and no one would’ve survived or had a chance to monologue.

The original ending they had planned is the better ending. What we got was crap.

Eiknarf

Banned
Yikes.

The fact that he still hates it so much means he probably likes it a bit.

The opposite of love is not hate. Hate still implies feelings of passion. The opposite of love is indifference.

If you were to take all the story-flashback events of part 2, you'd see the story and game chronologically begins from Abby's POV in year 2032/2033, where she was a young girl, collecting coins with her loving dad. All this happens before Joel even meets Ellie in Part 1.
So if we met Abby and her dad first, people would most likely hate Joel for killing Abby's dad.

So psychology 101 teaches us that the average person ASSUMES that Joel is the protagonist and Abby is the villain/antagonist all because of whose perspective we see first.

Muffdraul

We really need a thumbs down icon.

thatJohann

Those of you with 120Hz OLEDs, are y'all playing in the default Performance Mode w/ unlocked frame rate or the Fidelity mode w/ unlocked frame rate?

Torn between both.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So, bit of a random take, but I feel like they made the wrong choice with ending song of the game. Beyond Desolation is a good track, but it doesn't strike me as the game ender in my opinion.

Part I's ending choice was perfection with The Path (A New Beginning). The initial build-up playing throughout Joel's lie and Ellie's processing of it, stopping on the "Okay" then dropping into the full tune on the Naughty Dog logo, is one of gaming's most iconic moments. I just don't feel that same level of impact here despite the final imagery and cinematography being excellent.

I'm actually stunned they didn't use Future Days here, considering the meaning it has to the game, the amount times Ellie tries and fails to play it throughout the game, even in the ending with two fingers missing. The last time the player would've heard the full version was at the very beginning of the game when Joel sang it to Ellie, so I think bookending the game with the official version would've hit like an absolute freight train, it just makes so much sense I have to assume they weren't allowed to use it.

Did you see the Lightning Bolt poster inside the music shop in Seattle? Thought that was a cool little addition

Pretty weak album though as an PJ head.

Bartski

Gold Member
Those of you with 120Hz OLEDs, are y'all playing in the default Performance Mode w/ unlocked frame rate or the Fidelity mode w/ unlocked frame rate?

Torn between both.
I'd strongly recommend vrr fidelity for the story, vrr performance for No Return.

Top Bottom