• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part II ruined gaming for me

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

You people wouldnt survive if Kojima had launched MGS 2 today

Luckily the internet was in its infancy back then, so we didnt have so many cry babies

Yeah, lets put "we will be killing one of our main protags" on the cover next time, ND, please
see, the thing is, raiden didnt beat snake to death with a golf club, and snake kind of "mentored" raiden through the whole thing.

stn

Its a very good game though I think some of the gameplay is very simple. Still, overall the package comes together well. I do prefer Part 1, that said. The story felt simpler and more organic.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Either you haven’t played too many games or trolling, but there are many many more sequels to choose from, Devil May Cry 2, Earthworm Jim 2 and so much much more.

Instead, it seems that a lot of people are with part II being the worst sequel ever.
Played all this games ... the difference is none of them were my GOAT ... so for me was more significant... I remeber back in the day people shitting on mass effect 3 big time.. but for me the game had no big issues since i wasn't too attached to the first 2 ...

To each their own i guess

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
see, the thing is, raiden didnt beat snake to death with a golf club, and snake kind of "mentored" raiden through the whole thing.
Well he brought a excellent example of a fucked up misleading marketing campaign ... the difference was the final result ... but there's no dening that the misleading occurred... I dont think it was in bad faith though.. it was just for shock value .. it just felt bad faith for me because I freaking hated the game and the direction Cuckman chose to take ... matter of opinion in the end.

Woggleman

To me the best part of the story is not even related to the Ellie vs Abby quest for revenge. It is how Abby who was indocrinated into a certain mindset during a period of trauma manages to undo that tribalism when she is confronted with people who are supposed to be the enemy but in the end saved her life. To me the game is all about tribalism and how people will do terrible things in service of it thinking that they are in the right. It also shows how people through trauma are indoctrinated into it. If her father was never killed her life path would have been very different.

Muffdraul

I'm replaying TLOU Pt I remake right now, first time since it released almost a year ago. TLOU1 is one of my favorite games of all time. But I'm rushing through it so I can hurry up and get to the very superior Pt II.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
but there's no dening that the misleading occurred... I dont think it was in bad faith though.. it was just for shock value .. it just felt bad faith for me because I freaking hated the game and the direction Cuckman
so you know it wasn't in bad faith, but you choose to see it that way and hammer on at it because it fits the script. That makes sense!

Hugare

Well he brought a excellent example of a fucked up misleading marketing campaign ... the difference was the final result ... but there's no dening that the misleading occurred... I dont think it was in bad faith though.. it was just for shock value .. it just felt bad faith for me because I freaking hated the game and the direction Cuckman chose to take ... matter of opinion in the end.

Wasn't for shock value, it was necessary for the story that they wanted to tell

What was the alternative? Them saying upfront that Joel was going to be killed?

His death being a shock was 100% necessary for the story, so you could feel what Ellie felt

Not only that, but a bunch of people wouldnt have given the game a chance. Just like telling people that Snake wouldnt be playable in MGS 2 would make people avoid the game.

It's ok for not enjoying the story, I dont think that I would have chosen this direction either (or this execution at least), but they did what was necessary for it to work, marketing wise

And that's why I love Part II way more lol

I kid

Bernardougf

Gold Member
so you know it wasn't in bad faith, but you choose to see it that way and hammer on at it because it fits the script. That makes sense!
Theres no script my friend.. im posing evrything as just my opinion.. yes i dont THINK it was bad faith ... it just felt to ME because I hated the game ... it dosent mean, again, that it was... the same marketing can be seen genius to you and bad faith for me .. perspective is something subjective ... objectively I can agree that it was for shock value and subversion... so it what its no need to get defensive.. Drukmann is not going to suck your cock

Last edited:

His death being a shock was 100% necessary for the story, so you could feel what Ellie felt

Not only that, but a bunch of people wouldnt have given the game a chance. Just like telling people that Snake wouldnt be playable in MGS 2 would make people avoid the game.

It's ok for not enjoying the story, I dont think that I would have chosen this direction either (or this execution at least), but they did what was necessary for it to work, marketing wise

I kid
just want to clear up that the first quote in your post wasnt me, it was someone responding to me (actually, they were responding to the quote that you linked secondly.

The second quote was me though

Bernardougf

Gold Member

I kid
All the game is done for shock value.. so nothing more appropriate that the marketing follows through...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'll have to give it another shot when I'm feeling more patient.

The beginning was just such a slog for me. I just don't need to get into snowball fights or have long-windy horse rides w/ my GF in games.

Blackage

I never went back and revisited it. I didn't dislike the story or characters, but the game was an incredible downer, there weren't enough good/positive moments to contrast the dark and dank shit that was happening at the game's major story beats. The gameplay was fun and solid, but the weight of the story didn't make me want to revisit it again.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Anyway Im done discussing this game again.... the defense force is too much sensitive to accept different opinions to their beloved objectively divisive game ... for me is a piece of trash following my absolutely GOAT last of us 1 .... god bless bruce for giving us that game... Cuckman idea of storytelling is definitely not for me . Glad so many still enjoyed though.. bye

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'm replaying TLOU Pt I right now, first time since it released almost a year ago. It's one of my favorite games of all time. But I'm rushing through it so I can hurry up and get to the very superior Pt II.
I did a TLOU P1 1 playthrough straight into Part II last year and i'm not sure i've ever had a better gaming experience, at least not in my adult life. enjoy it
I'll have to give it another shot when I'm feeling more patient.

The beginning was just such a slog for me. I just don't need to get into snowball fights or have long-windy horse rides w/ my GF in games.
I mean thats literally the tutorial lol. Smoke a joint and blaze through it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean thats literally the tutorial lol. Smoke a joint and blaze through it.

It's long as all hell, and I seriously doubt after that first section the game stops doing the "now there's nothing to do but walk and talk" stuff that TLOU 1 had plenty of lo

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It's long as all hell, and I seriously doubt after that first section the game stops doing the "now there's nothing to do but walk and talk" stuff that TLOU 1 had plenty of lo
Youd be surprised. The major plot point of the game is like 1.5 hours into it

Plus the game gives you the option to skip that snowball fight as well as all other puzzles (every game should do this, fuck puzzles)

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Man I remember waiting the whoe game to play as snake again. It was a terrible desicion but that makes light work of what they did to Joel lol. They basically gave Joel a average npc death and erased him from the franchise

Gorgon

Youd be surprised. The major plot point of the game is like 1.5 hours into it

Plus the game gives you the option to skip that snowball fight as well as all other puzzles (every game should do this, fuck puzzles)

No truer words have ever been said. Amen.

(And fuck unskippable QTEs too.)

angrod14

Damn, the thread kinda blew up.
giphy.gif

collage-maker-20-mar-2023-01-41-pm-6098.jpg

This was the moment in the game where it hit me that I was playing an all-time great.

The graphics whore in me was cumming buckets. I'd never seen anything like it. That shit looked orgasmic on the OLED.

This was when Abby started to grow on me. And then, the atmospheric as fuck night escape into the woods right after. With the stalkers chasing you,

and then right into the crazy lady with the hammer a bit after, at dawn.

E9Cq2ZSWYAYzBmb

E9CrCtIXIAEDX5p

What a brutal and visceral gaming experience.

I took probably around 200 screens of this section.

GOAT
Abby is probably the most badass character I've seen. I loved the whole concept behind her design, it's like a flip on the stereotypical action hero like Rambo or Commando, but as a woman, and giving her actual depth.

She won me over right from the start.

Top Bottom