• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm genuinely tired of The Critical Drinker and other channels of the same ilk, and I think they're only making things worse for an average moviegoer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender

What time is it?
I don't often share RLM's tastes but I do appreciate the lens they look through with their analysis. I think that is what sets them apart and makes them an interesting watch. They care a lot about the nuts and bolts of how movies are made and they tend to cover all shapes and sizes of movies, from popular to shlock and everything in between.

Last edited:
I don't watch a ton of critical drinker but he does offer up the "classic" way a story could be constructed, how they could have propped up a heroine without destroying her male costars, or basic foreshadowing and plot development. There are clear indications of a shift (or lack of proper training) in scripts and editing to focus on easy win emotional beats and incoherent and inconsistent story elements that just loosely connect action scenes. And that's without any "woke" nonsense.
That's why I had to separate him a bit, because my main issue with him is his schtick. I hope he fully transitions away from it one day because I don't want to him end up as forgotten as Zero Punctuation is for video game reviews.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Yeah, I totally understand what you're saying. At first you're like, ok, some honest review, edited well. But then you realize that they basically lost the plot and everything Disney is bad, any sort of film message is bad, etc. I blocked Nerdonic because he hated on Andor, and it seemed like it was just because it was Disney. Andor was fucking amazing.

Drinker also loved Andor, but had to add some stupid baseless argument about strong females, even though that wasn't true at all, but you can't really praise anything Disney does now.

I reco block them all, and move on.

Toons

No.

You want to cancel the only sane voices?

Criticism isn't calling for cancellation.

I was speaking to my homie about Critical Drinker the other day and he's not PC and he out right said Critical Drinker hates women I was losing it.

They're all congregate together and have the same hive mind opinions on surface level media. Critical Drinker has the audience and intelligence to actually reach out and hit some deep cut movie recommendations but he's just like "Have you guys heard of Die Hard lol."

He uses Ripley as a shield against his shite arguments so much its hilarious. As if because you like one female character in the last 40 years that makes your take balanced.

But yeah dudes a grifter and barely even tries to hide it anymore. Once you think about it long enough you realize that he needs them to continue to be made. If Disney stopped making mcu films, if "woke" films stopped happening, he'd lose his revenue stream. Hes basically an employee of theirs.

Another guy did a dismantling of his review of glass onion which was particularly egregious as he struggled to pull out anything legitimate he could bash the film with to the point he misrepresented entire scenes.... at some point it becomes clear the movie entirely flew over his head, as the movies point was to display how rich idiots get a pass despite incompetence, and his complaint in this to be baffled at how this rich idiot in the movie could possibly this incompetent.

His takes on last of us and prey were terribad too, to the poin even some of his fanbase called him out on it in the latter case. He famously released a pre review/rant piexeb of the movie BEFORE release which was a 40 minute long strawman that had little connection to the actual film, and then had to backtrack some of those claims when it actually came out.

Toons

I don't often share RLM's tastes but I do appreciate the lens they look through with their analysis. I think that is what sets them apart and makes them an interesting watch. They care a lot about the nuts and bolts of how movies are made and they tend to cover all shapes and sizes of movies, from popular to shlock and everything in between.

I've never particularly found their content that entertaining or engaging, but I've always respected that their content at least feels honest and how they actually feel. Like they don't do this just to appeal to an internet niche and make money, they are just hyperanalaytical and will nitpick your movie to death whilst listing bigger flaws too. I dont lump them in with the likes of TCD at all

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
if you’re watching these channels you’re not an average movie goer, you’re a certified nerd.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Tired yes.
Making things worse no.

If one side is monotonous, the other side / the argument would be monotonous too.
So, it got boring but inevitably. And it have some good humor (when they don't repeat the same dead joke and cutaway) so it's not that bad.

They are actual filmmakers, and that's what sets them apart from their imitators on YouTube. Sure, they may not be GREAT filmmakers (Space Cop was... not good, to put it nicely), but the knowledge and experience of how movies are made is what gives them insight that most YouTubers don't have.

I love comments like this, lol.

You guys do understand the concept of having a conversation right? You really don't need to approach threads like this like a problem that needs to be solved.
You want to have a conversation - sure. I think the youtubers you quoted are an important part of the culture war that’s currently going on. The last thing we want if for every youtuber or critic to parrot the fake geek culture where everything Star Wars and Marvel is great. If you actually watch their content you would see that even though they hate woke Hollywood in general, they can have varied opinion. Take Friday Night Tights and their views on Barbie for example, it was varied. Some went with their daughters and liked the experience. Others think it’s a satire, others think it’s just plain trash. I also like the drinker though I don’t watch movie critics very often - I think he’s got a good analytical eye though I think he’s too lenient on movies (I’m only subscribed to 2 critics - drinker and Jeremy Jahn).

And let’s be honest - do we want woke trash like the rings of power? Or would it be better to call it out?

HoodWinked

the criticisms being redundant is more a sign of how derivative the industry is, a lot of it has to do with intellectual capture and studios chasing international markets.

as for RedLetterMedia, Mike Stoklasa seems like he just doesn't give a fuck, he will just often times get aspects of the movie wrong and will then take a stance of liking a movie ironically.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't need Youtubers to convince me the majority of modern movies are crap. I attend maybe 3 movies per year and come to my own conclusions. Watching someone on the internet shouting into a microphone won't stop me from seeing those few. So...why does it matter what they do or don't say?
You realise that the universe doesn't revolve around you?

Shocking, I know.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Part of it is because over time a schtick gets tiring. Unfortunately, Critical Drinker has to maintain his even though I'm sure he's tired of it himself. Another part of it is because some of these outlets do not offer anything beyond what they do. No constructive criticism or potentially alternative writing/scene takes to show how the creation could improve. Instead, it's endless dissection and negative point making.

As much as people here are iffy or don't like youtubers like HiTop Films, he will at least try and offer his ideas, especially when he does not like a movie. He will at least do research on the directors, producers, or behind the scenes interviews and segments to see 'what went wrong'. At times he'll go over the potential of the director and writing staff to see how they could have made a great project if just one or two things were tweaked to their strengths. He tries to provide something in the hopes that a future budding writer or director could learn from it and do better than their predecessors.

What I suggest to you OP is to look for the channels that either try to breakdown a scene or try to go behind the scenes of a movie so that you can get a better understanding as to a film's failure or success, rather than just going to channels to hear some guy rant about it for 30 minutes. Someone like CinemaStix, Thomas Flight, CorridorCrew or even HiTop Films. There's others out there but I can't think of them at the moment. The content doesn't necessarily have to be positive, but what it should do is give you some form of knowledge or intrigue.
Yeah, I'm subscribed to plenty of channels that focus on film analysis and more constructive criticism too. My favourites are probably Filmento and Just an Observation, but there are some others, including some that you mentioned. I just brought up those channels in the OP particularly for how one-note they are, how much content they put out and how popular some of them are.

ahtlas7

As many have stated, we know the majority of Hollywood shit is, well, shit. So, someone telling me shit is shit kind of gets old after a while and I move on. I don’t need CD to tell me what Barbie IS because marketing already did.

i5JICO8.jpg

This is explanation enough.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Drinker gives movies bad reviews if they are ‘woke’ and good reviews if they aren’t. Any validity he had in terms of criticism went out of the window a while ago, when he realised that this audience just wants their biases confirmed. He used to be okay as a critic, but all he is now is a mouthpiece for one side in the bullshit culture war, because it makes him the most money.

This applies to all of those guys. Drinker‘s better than tubers like that weird Nerdrotic cunt, but not really by much.

Never trust anyone’s opinion if their bottom line relies on them not pissing off people with only one.

RLM are a better watch, simply because they state what their genuinely held opinions are. They don’t pander to a specific subset of the audience to increase their revenue.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Theres a huge difference between informing yourself before buying a potentially broken product that you want to use for years and something you watch for a few bucks on a Sunday.
Not necessarily. I consider my time valuable too and I don't wanna waste it on watching something that I'll end up hating.

It doesn't apply for everything, of course, because if I'm interested enough then I'm gonna watch it no matter what, but it does help sometimes for movies or shows that I'm undecided on. I even got a few great recommendations from channels like YMS and RLM for movies that I would never even stumble upon normally for how niche they are, and I ended up loving them.

And, for what it's worth, at least guys like Drinker covered The Rings of Power enough to reassure me that staying away from that shit was indeed a good decision.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You want to have a conversation - sure. I think the youtubers you quoted are an important part of the culture war that’s currently going on. The last thing we want if for every youtuber or critic to parrot the fake geek culture where everything Star Wars and Marvel is great. If you actually watch their content you would see that even though they hate woke Hollywood in general, they can have varied opinion. Take Friday Night Tights and their views on Barbie for example, it was varied. Some went with their daughters and liked the experience. Others think it’s a satire, others think it’s just plain trash. I also like the drinker though I don’t watch movie critics very often - I think he’s got a good analytical eye though I think he’s too lenient on movies (I’m only subscribed to 2 critics - drinker and Jeremy Jahn).

And let’s be honest - do we want woke trash like the rings of power? Or would it be better to call it out?
Of course it would. But my problem is that it's all they seem to be doing. Some good points are being made ITT that I completely agree with, which suggest that these guys are now stuck in this niche of hating on popular mainstream things like Star Wars or Marvel, because that's what their audience is watching them for. They would probably quickly fall off if they tried to branch off or change their opinions.

And I think it's important to call them out on it because whether you want to believe it or not, they do have some influence, and I see people parroting their exact arguments all the time. Like I said in the OP - they create a pretty toxic echo chamber for people who are only interested in confirming their biases.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I also share in your distaste for uninsightful YouTube movie reviewers. They've poisoned the young filmgoer by convincing them that movies aren't meant to be engaged with, and that hating things makes you look smart.

The Critical Drinker also has a series of videos recommending good movies. He also does videos about the mistakes Hollywood makes in current movies. It's not all about hating THE MESSAGE, there's a way forward out of the current mess.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Agreed. I haven't watched any Critical Drinker videos and don't plan to.

There was genuinely a point where he had a decent amount of valid criticism, but it's all been lost in the rush to appeal to the incels and weirdos. A real shame. The guy obviously isn't stupid, but the almighty YouTube algorithm is more important to him than proper critical thinking these days.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Nerdrotic
HellvsBabyface
Mauler
Melonie Mac
And a bunch of other channels led by guys with English sounding accents who all focus on one thing - shitting on woke Hollywood.

I watched Drinker at the beginning when his channel was just taking off, and after a while I even started looking into those other channels that I mentioned once they started appearing together on various podcasts. It was pretty cathartic for a while to have someone finally speak up about all those movies and TV shows that sucked, and unlike the people who are usually motivated by prejudice and bigotry in criticising movies with THE MESSAGE, guys like Drinker actually made some convincing and reasonable arguments. I suppose it's because he's like a published author or something, so he definitely knows how to write compelling scripts for his videos too. But the more I consumed that type of content the more it started to grate on me because channels like that pretty much thrive on shooting down things that are very easy to make fun of, especially if your specialty is pandering to the audience who just wants to cathartically hear someone more eloquent than themselves validate their frustration with "woke" movies.

Don't get me wrong, much of the stuff that they tend to criticise IS a dumpster fire, but even when you catch a glimpse of them actually praising something, they will usually do it through the same type of lens. So, as a result, whenever something's good in the eyes of a Drinker, it's usually in part because it's not one of those "woke" films, and it has a manly man doing manly things. It's a generalisation of course, but there's definitely a trend to be found in his content and it's all very transparent and tiresome sometimes. Yes, there are bad movies coming out these days, but when did Hollywood ever NOT release shit movies that sucked for one reason or another? There's also more than one way to look at movies than through this vaguely political lens, but I feel like because he puts so much focus on that aspect, and because he's so popular, he kinda contributes to creating this toxic echo chamber for people who won't even bother engaging with something if there's a chance that it has THE MESSAGE in it.

I mean, am I crazy or does anyone else see this? If you go looking for something then you can find it pretty much everywhere. I could probably make some pretty convincing arguments that every 80s action movie is actually about the main character struggling with his homosexuality, but I doubt that was the actual intent of the filmmakers.
You've hit it straight on the head with that. I too watch most of these channels and have done since they started and have noticed too that most of it now is just raging for the sake of raging. It was a little while ago that a few of them said they cant wait for film X/Z as it'll rake in soo much money.. that loud pratt from Geeks and gamers is the worst for it, is it Jeremy? I forget his name, I just find him an irritation more than anything..

Another thing with Drinker, if you've noticed, he doesnt or hasnt watched many films at all.. most of the times chat will ask him about a basic film most will have watched but he'll not have a clue. This might be down to him actually being a published author though, you cant waste time watching films and writing.. but then you also cant be be a proper critic if you havent watched a lot of films, which means you can only base your critic on certain things, probably why it's now stagnating

I find Disparu entertaining, true it's most of the same but he mostly comes from the angle of whats happening in regards to what the staff of these shows have put in print, and that is worth taking the mikey out of

I might start my own channel at the end of the year, i've got zero monetary gain as I dont need it, plus it's never interested me, i've watched damn near every film going and played pretty much every game since 1984, i'm what some might call a strange entity through no fault of my own :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The Critical Drinker also has a series of videos recommending good movies. He also does videos about the mistakes Hollywood makes in current movies. It's not all about hating THE MESSAGE, there's a way forward out of the current mess.
Yeah, but if you check out his "Drinker Recommends" series, he typically follows a very obvious niche of movies that would appeal to the type of audience that he caters to. The only possible exceptions are some critical darlings that are very much known to be great movies, but he never uses his influence to recommend something that's niche or unknown and could use a voice with as much influence as he has to get more recognition.

Soodanim

Gold Member
His takes on last of us and prey were terribad too, to the poin even some of his fanbase called him out on it in the latter case. He famously released a pre review/rant piexeb of the movie BEFORE release which was a 40 minute long strawman that had little connection to the actual film, and then had to backtrack some of those claims when it actually came out.
IIRC that's not how that went. His trailer-based preview of Prey was "This might be shit but I dunno, could go either way" then the review was "It was better than expected, some stupid moments and the Predator was overly stupid at points but not bad overall"

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yeah, but if you check out his "Drinker Recommends" series, he typically follows a very obvious niche of movies that would appeal to the type of audience that he caters to. The only possible exceptions are some critical darlings that are very much known to be great movies, but he never uses his influence to recommend something that's niche or unknown and could use a voice with as much influence as he has to get more recognition.
Aye, it's what I was saying though in my previous post. He cant recommend films as he probably hasnt seen them. I doubt he'd ever recommend..

WTnsY3T.jpg

But it is what it is. And he's making bank so good luck to the lad, the worlds still a better place with him in it :messenger_sunglasses:

Drizzlehell

Banned
You've hit it straight on the head with that. I too watch most of these channels and have done since they started and have noticed too that most of it now is just raging for the sake of raging. It was a little while ago that a few of them said they cant wait for film X/Z as it'll rake in soo much money.. that loud pratt from Geeks and gamers is the worst for it, is it Jeremy? I forget his name, I just find him an irritation more than anything..

Another thing with Drinker, if you've noticed, he doesnt or hasnt watched many films at all.. most of the times chat will ask him about a basic film most will have watched but he'll not have a clue. This might be down to him actually being a published author though, you cant waste time watching films and writing.. but then you also cant be be a proper critic if you havent watched a lot of films, which means you can only base your critic on certain things, probably why it's now stagnating

I find Disparu entertaining, true it's most of the same but he mostly comes from the angle of whats happening in regards to what the staff of these shows have put in print, and that is worth taking the mikey out of

I might start my own channel at the end of the year, i've got zero monetary gain as I dont need it, plus it's never interested me, i've watched damn near every film going and played pretty much every game since 1984, i'm what some might call a strange entity through no fault of my own :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I haven't watched any of his live streams, tbh, but that's interesting. It would explain why he has such a narrow taste in movies. And it would also make this whole thing even more ridiculous because he isn't even knowledgeable enough about the subject that he's so vocal about, lol. It would likely invalidate a lot of his arguments had he known that there's a world of cinema out there beyond the likes of Disney or the stuff that was good 30 years ago.

Good luck on the channel, though! Be sure to share it with us if it goes anywhere. :messenger_spock:

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The great, vast majority.
c9d058e.png

RptWatn.png
JIung3s.png

the 4 people who say that the game is actually really good.

I8M2Qah.png

Are you sure about that? I feel sorry for you then, that you have no control over your own decisions. Heres some examples of games based on what you said, that you should avoid. I have many more receipts if you want. Anyway good luck with people deciding for you what to play and what to eat and what to do I guess.

RDdLnXn.png

Uq8d4DT.png

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Are you sure about that? I feel sorry for you then, that you have no control over your own decisions. Heres some examples of games based on what you said, that you should avoid. I have many more receipts if you want. Anyway good luck with people deciding for you what to play and what to eat and what to do I guess.

RDdLnXn.png

Uq8d4DT.png
To be fair, the world would probably be a better place without predatory games like Diablo 4, and 71 is by no means a bad score for a video game.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
To be fair, the world would probably be a better place without predatory games like Diablo 4, and 71 is by no means a bad score for a video game.

Except everyone played and praised Diablo 4, gaf as well. If someone didnt buy the game at launch and would rather wait for peoples opinions, they'd avoid it by now even tho they might enjoy it despite its predatory typical blizzard bs but thats another story. As for 71, for a lot of people, even on gaf, 71 is considered absolute dog shit. Obligatory pic:

4392a8b6c68f7cddc1d28490a1c03c5aa819e42534d526523aab923f086b9332_1.jpg

But hey if people arent adult enough to make their own decisions in their life even if they turn out to be bad, then well sucks to be them. I've made a ton of bad decisions in life, and I dont dwell on them or regret them.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Here's the thing:

Everyone has a certain slant to how they view the world. In the case of critics all you have to do is know what that particular slant is, and bear that in mind when listening to their opinions. Basically re-calibrate how much stock you put in arguments that are made through an ideological lens versus those which are factual or at least intuited apolitically.

Works for both "sides", whichever you or they are aligned to.

Never forget though, internet criticism is basically entertainment. Its not serving any higher purpose than that so trying to hold it to an equally higher standard is pointless.

Drinker has some good takes and some bad takes, like everyone else. On balance I feel he's better than average, especially when he's being positive.

ItsGreat

How the fuck is Drinker or any other film critic making "things worse for the average movie goer" in any way?

Yeah! How dare he try and get people to think critically about the things Hollywood are ramming down throats to make money.

NO ART JUST CONSUME

StueyDuck

Nerdrotic
HellvsBabyface
Mauler
Melonie Mac
And a bunch of other channels led by guys with English sounding accents who all focus on one thing - shitting on woke Hollywood.

I watched Drinker at the beginning when his channel was just taking off, and after a while I even started looking into those other channels that I mentioned once they started appearing together on various podcasts. It was pretty cathartic for a while to have someone finally speak up about all those movies and TV shows that sucked, and unlike the people who are usually motivated by prejudice and bigotry in criticising movies with THE MESSAGE, guys like Drinker actually made some convincing and reasonable arguments. I suppose it's because he's like a published author or something, so he definitely knows how to write compelling scripts for his videos too. But the more I consumed that type of content the more it started to grate on me because channels like that pretty much thrive on shooting down things that are very easy to make fun of, especially if your specialty is pandering to the audience who just wants to cathartically hear someone more eloquent than themselves validate their frustration with "woke" movies.

Don't get me wrong, much of the stuff that they tend to criticise IS a dumpster fire, but even when you catch a glimpse of them actually praising something, they will usually do it through the same type of lens. So, as a result, whenever something's good in the eyes of a Drinker, it's usually in part because it's not one of those "woke" films, and it has a manly man doing manly things. It's a generalisation of course, but there's definitely a trend to be found in his content and it's all very transparent and tiresome sometimes. Yes, there are bad movies coming out these days, but when did Hollywood ever NOT release shit movies that sucked for one reason or another? There's also more than one way to look at movies than through this vaguely political lens, but I feel like because he puts so much focus on that aspect, and because he's so popular, he kinda contributes to creating this toxic echo chamber for people who won't even bother engaging with something if there's a chance that it has THE MESSAGE in it.

I mean, am I crazy or does anyone else see this? If you go looking for something then you can find it pretty much everywhere. I could probably make some pretty convincing arguments that every 80s action movie is actually about the main character struggling with his homosexuality, but I doubt that was the actual intent of the filmmakers.
Hollywood needed people to call out their shit and their little circle jerk pushing their agendas and "messages" on to kids and families and so on.

But the problem is, like all outrage content they have themselves become a parody of what they originally stood for.

So now people look at them being upset because women exist basically and can't take their opinions seriously either.

There was genuinely a point where he had a decent amount of valid criticism, but it's all been lost in the rush to appeal to the incels and weirdos. A real shame. The guy obviously isn't stupid, but the almighty YouTube algorithm is more important to him than proper critical thinking these days.
So wouldn't they be getting more views by making content for the fanboys? And you have to be a dumbass to think that only incels and weirdos watch the drinker.

Azurro

Banned
Nerdrotic
HellvsBabyface
Mauler
Melonie Mac

TL:DR - I'm angry my favourite woke movies keep getting criticised for being shit and masculinity is bad.

I'm actually very glad youtube channels like these exist. It's like the beacons of Gondor. I want absolutely, zero, nothing to do with any woke content, so I'm very glad beforehand if any movie contains it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Learn to discuss like an adult or be removed from your own thread.
TL:DR - I'm angry my favourite woke movies keep getting criticised for being shit and masculinity is bad.
Posting a TL;DR usually means that you've actually read the post and are now summarising it but judging by your very inept summary, it's clear that you didn't read jack shit of what I wrote. :pie_ssmiling:

Azurro

Banned
Posting a TL;DR usually means that you've actually read the post and are now summarising it but judging by your very inept summary, it's clear that you didn't read jack shit of what I wrote. :pie_ssmiling:

I did, that was a perfect summary of your argument. Hollywood makes shit woke movies, critics tell us shit woke movies keep being made. Could it be a bit repetitive? Yes, but it's because Hollywood keeps making the same woke shit. It seems to me that what irritates you is that people are more informed at what is on the cinemas and are much less inclined to watch that garbage. I know there are the usual 3 or 4 posters that stan for woke Hollywood here, but that doesn't change the reality that people are tired of THE MESSAGE.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I could probably make some pretty convincing arguments that every 80s action movie is actually about the main character struggling with his homosexuality, but I doubt that was the actual intent of the filmmakers.

ODVc5aU.jpg

thats-right.gif

(I really hope your name is "Jay")

It's not but I've read it in Mike's voice and made me laugh out loud.
I only trust Jay in RLM.

Interesting! Care to elaborate?

I don't need Youtubers to convince me the majority of modern movies are crap. I attend maybe 3 movies per year and come to my own conclusions. Watching someone on the internet shouting into a microphone won't stop me from seeing those few. So...why does it matter what they do or don't say?

It doesn't.

I think Drizzlehell Drizzlehell just wanted to vent and share his thoughts like you do with your friends.

RedLetterMedia got old a long time ago for me. I don’t quite understand what they bring to the table unless you like reviews of bad movies. They do occasionally do reviews of new movies but it’s not as common. And one of the 2 critic sounds a bit like a douche to me.

I remember my first exposure to RLM was on here.

It was the Prometheus HITB ep. I just looked it up and it 'aired' 8 (!!) years ago. Loved the humor and started binge watching all their previous stuff.

It's still one of my favorite channels.

Sure it can get old, guess that's inherently tied when you're using a specific topic for over a decade. To be fair they do mix it up somewhat but in the end it's still talking about movies.

as for RedLetterMedia, Mike Stoklasa seems like he just doesn't give a fuck, he will just often times get aspects of the movie wrong and will then take a stance of liking a movie ironically.

He still gives a fuck in my eyes. Although it heavily depends on the subject matter. You could see how excited he got when talking about the effects in Evil Dead Rise for example.

With that said.

After more than a decade of doing more or less the same thing over and over, in combination with the current state of movies (I know said state is in a grey area) I don't really blame him. It doesn't bother me personally as well.

I've rewatched and still do many episodes for laugh. It's comfort food for me

As for myself. Seeing as I've been watching them for over a decade you get to know their personalities/personas plus the relationship dynamics and in jokes which is half the fun for me. Plus I like their humor.
Then again I have zero interests in buying or even watching spacecop.

But as another poster said I also think it's best not to know them beyond what you see on the channel.

What's the expression? Never meet your heroes.

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell

Man, I didn't even read your OP last night. Saw the title and remembered watching that drinker dude for about 3 minutes before I got irritated. So sorry for the drive by post. Woke up with 21 alerts and saw many quoted me and feared the worst.

sweating key and peele GIF

Thankfully not the case.

~Fin

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Are you sure about that? I feel sorry for you then, that you have no control over your own decisions.
yeesh man lay off. I never said you shouldn't play Redfall. I implied that if it weren't for reviewers input you'd catch yourself spending 60 dollars on it, and that amount of cash may not be worth it.

It shouldn't form your opinion but you should take it into consideration when saying you want to play a game. It can help save you money with products you might not like as much and help you make better purchasing decisions. It's always good to hear from other people whether a game is worth a day 1 purchase or a sale/gamepass scenario, and the same thing for movies, i guess.
Heres some examples of games based on what you said, that you should avoid. I have many more receipts if you want. Anyway good luck with people deciding for you what to play and what to eat and what to do I guess.

RDdLnXn.png

Uq8d4DT.png

These games you listed are more of a mixed situation than anything. Those are the exact scenarios i'm talking about. Games that look really good on the surface that have some major flaws. You should still form your own opinion on those but reviews can also be a good disclaimer. Knowing about the issues the game may have beforehand can prevent disappointment.

Also, Days Gone has a terrible metascore but a good user score. If other people like the game you're playing as opposed to the paid critics who hate it for one reason or another it is still worth consideration.

Toons

IIRC that's not how that went. His trailer-based preview of Prey was "This might be shit but I dunno, could go either way" then the review was "It was better than expected, some stupid moments and the Predator was overly stupid at points but not bad overall"

He definitely never implied "it could go either way" you will never, EVER see him allow any grace to any modern film from one of the big guys unless he can use it to compare/compete against Disney with. Especially if he hasn't seen the movie. His approach is almost always to assume its trash out of the gate and he wants the movie to prove him wrong.

That alone should disqualify considering him an actual critic rather than an ideologue. I mean, having bias is one thing, everyone does. But his goes far beyond a preference into an actual protocol like approach to *every* movie.
I did, that was a perfect summary of your argument. Hollywood makes shit woke movies, critics tell us shit woke movies keep being made. Could it be a bit repetitive? Yes, but it's because Hollywood keeps making the same woke shit. It seems to me that what irritates you is that people are more informed at what is on the cinemas and are much less inclined to watch that garbage. I know there are the usual 3 or 4 posters that stan for woke Hollywood here, but that doesn't change the reality that people are tired of THE MESSAGE.

you actually admit that he's correct here, that it's repetitive nonsense, but you still have to try and strawman his argument into something it wasnt.

TCD doesn't "inform" anyone lol, he peddles just his version of the MESSAGE, which is just being against whatever the other message is. It isn't an actual message in and of itself, which is the problem. He ans the others say the exact same stuff, about the exact same things often at the exact same time. It's an organized money pit designed to send users like yourself into a youtube recommended feedback loop that pays them all handsomely, and with minimal effort from them, while you slowly turn into a drone who can only view films from their purview.

Its why; as others have pointed out, they'll hardly ever recommend films that push against this MESSAGE, unless that film is a huge blockbuster. They COULD use their base to bring attention to lesser known, small but great movies that may not be even competing against the big guys. But they arent interested in that, because that doesn't line their pockets like 5 thumbnails with brie Larson does.

They are grifters. Whats even worse is they are all expected to fall in line with each others views. Their fanbase had a huge ripple when one of maulers buddies dared to say he enjoyed eternals. Suppressing of dissenting opinions is an obvious sign something is a marketing tactic, not an actual informational product.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They COULD use their base to bring attention to lesser known, small but great movies that may not be even competing against the big guys. But they arent interested in that, because that doesn't line their pockets like 5 thumbnails with brie Larson does.
this is kinda why i like the gaming scene more when it comes to this stuff. When an indie game blows up it blows up and it's now just part of the conversation. I've hardly ever heard of indie movies, despite them being around for much longer people don't talk about them as much.

Of course it could also just as easily be that i don't care as much about movies.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I wouldn't say that. There are plenty of great game critics who do great indepth retrospectives of older titles. Retropolis Zone is one that comes to mind, his videos are long but so entertaining to rewatch

if critics didn't exist you'd catch yourself spending 60 dollars on Redfall, so they do indeed serve a purpose. It's hard to "come to your own conclusion" when it's money on the line

I'm a huge fan of Mandaloregaming. His recent reviews on Myth 1 and 2 reminded me of how much I loved Bungie back in the day.

Azurro

Banned
He definitely never implied "it could go either way" you will never, EVER see him allow any grace to any modern film from one of the big guys unless he can use it to compare/compete against Disney with. Especially if he hasn't seen the movie. His approach is almost always to assume its trash out of the gate and he wants the movie to prove him wrong.

That alone should disqualify considering him an actual critic rather than an ideologue. I mean, having bias is one thing, everyone does. But his goes far beyond a preference into an actual protocol like approach to *every* movie.

you actually admit that he's correct here, that it's repetitive nonsense, but you still have to try and strawman his argument into something it wasnt.

TCD doesn't "inform" anyone lol, he peddles just his version of the MESSAGE, which is just being against whatever the other message is. It isn't an actual message in and of itself, which is the problem. He ans the others say the exact same stuff, about the exact same things often at the exact same time. It's an organized money pit designed to send users like yourself into a youtube recommended feedback loop that pays them all handsomely, and with minimal effort from them, while you slowly turn into a drone who can only view films from their purview.

Its why; as others have pointed out, they'll hardly ever recommend films that push against this MESSAGE, unless that film is a huge blockbuster. They COULD use their base to bring attention to lesser known, small but great movies that may not be even competing against the big guys. But they arent interested in that, because that doesn't line their pockets like 5 thumbnails with brie Larson does.

They are grifters. Whats even worse is they are all expected to fall in line with each others views. Their fanbase had a huge ripple when one of maulers buddies dared to say he enjoyed eternals. Suppressing of dissenting opinions is an obvious sign something is a marketing tactic, not an actual informational product.

I don't know, it depends on the context if they are grifters. They are reviewers and by their nature they need product to review, is that being a grifter? I don't understand your complaint, you don't want online reviewers to criticise propaganda? If Hollywood produces disgusting propaganda, then it's a bit disingenuous of you to say "oh my, why are you calling out Hollywood's propaganda as propaganda?", like, how is that an argument?

They actually do inform people of what the film includes, you are free to agree or disagree with them, but it's a good service to people to let us know if a movie has compelling characters, plot and if it has disgusting progressive propaganda in it. They actually put a lot of effort into it, their videos are very well produced and the video essays they do are very compelling.

I know you are a gigantic shill, and sometimes I wonder if you are an astroturfer because of the silly stuff you defend, but I'd say Hollywood's writers and actors are way more grifters than any of the online reviewers will ever be: "I'm a MINORITY!! Pooopy poooopy! Now put me in a movie", "I hate white men and I identify as a 4d sexual giraffe!! I'm so oppressed so put me in a movie!!" and now a classic from the strike: "We want to have a minimal amount of writers being hired of all oppressed backgrounds in each project and we get to dictate the content if it passes all our woke agenda checks". Human garbage is what they are, lol.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm a huge fan of Mandaloregaming. His recent reviews on Myth 1 and 2 reminded me of how much I loved Bungie back in the day.

Never heard of this guy or this game, but since it's bungie that's caught my attention. Thanks for the recommendation.

Another long winded retrospective reviewer i really like is "J's Reviews", who caught my attention because of his gigantic hate video about Megaman X6, exposing how completely flawed and terrible that trainwreck of a game is. His other reviews though are much less negative and a lot more interesting, mainly on Sonic, Megaman, sly cooper, and other Playstation content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom