• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm genuinely tired of The Critical Drinker and other channels of the same ilk, and I think they're only making things worse for an average moviegoer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gotta admit, there is a delicious irony in the way that anti-woke commentators are riling up those who disagree with their political position.

I mean, do those people now comprehend how alienating the past few years of incessant "everything is political" messaging have been for the rest of us?
Did they really imagine that the traffic was going to flow solely one-way (their way) forever more?

MayauMiao

Not sure how Drinker is making it worse for average movie goers when:

- Ticket price increase astronomically
- Disney making every MCU movies tied together that if you miss out on a single MCU movie (or TV show), you will likely have no idea what is going on
- Hollywood over reliance on old franchises (Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones, Fast Furious) instead of making something fresh
- Constant attacks by mainstream media/Hollywood that you're a horrible person if you don't like certain "progressive" movies

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No, no, no. You don't understand! Drizzlehell simply has to watch these videos.
Just like how you HAD to make a gigantic thread with very liberal use of the word "fuck" about why dongles suck? 🙃

Nobody has to say anything here, but if we didn't get threads this place would be boring.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Gotta admit, there is a delicious irony in the way that anti-woke commentators are riling up those who disagree with their political position.

I mean, do those people now comprehend how alienating the past few years of incessant "everything is political" messaging have been for the rest of us?
Did they really imagine that the traffic was going to flow solely one-way (their way) forever more?
You mean there isn’t infinite growth in the market of being a curmudgeonly asshole that spends hours lambasting harmless entertainment products based solely on where they subjectively fall on a spectrum of something nobody can even define?

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

FeralEcho

I'd rather watch him and all the other critics who point out how miserable and woke hollywood has become than watch actual Hollywood movies nowadays.

Anyway that's all from me for today.Go away now.

Toons

I don't know, it depends on the context if they are grifters. They are reviewers and by their nature they need product to review, is that being a grifter? I don't understand your complaint, you don't want online reviewers to criticise propaganda? If Hollywood produces disgusting propaganda, then it's a bit disingenuous of you to say "oh my, why are you calling out Hollywood's propaganda as propaganda?", like, how is that an argument?

They actually do inform people of what the film includes, you are free to agree or disagree with them, but it's a good service to people to let us know if a movie has compelling characters, plot and if it has disgusting progressive propaganda in it. They actually put a lot of effort into it, their videos are very well produced and the video essays they do are very compelling.

I know you are a gigantic shill, and sometimes I wonder if you are an astroturfer because of the silly stuff you defend, but I'd say Hollywood's writers and actors are way more grifters than any of the online reviewers will ever be: "I'm a MINORITY!! Pooopy poooopy! Now put me in a movie", "I hate white men and I identify as a 4d sexual giraffe!! I'm so oppressed so put me in a movie!!" and now a classic from the strike: "We want to have a minimal amount of writers being hired of all oppressed backgrounds in each project and we get to dictate the content if it passes all our woke agenda checks". Human garbage is what they are, lol.

Honestly this response kinda says more to defeat your argument than anything I can say lol

No, none of the films TCD has reviewed or shat on featured a 4D sexual giraffe. None of the films have featured propaganda as you're defining it. Im not even sure what you're considering propaganda but based on this it isn't based in reality, but in the mind of an unhinged, paranoid psyche.

You seem to be caught in that exact feedback loop I was describing where you are unable to view any content outside of this postive/negative "propaganda" current. Most of these films aren't hiding what they are, so TCD offers nothing that we can't already ascertain from the films marketing.

And if TCD and these others only consider that their purpose for existing on the platform, then they should stop there and not try their hand at being actual film critiques, because they honestly are so far up their own asses that they can't even distinguish their opinion from "objective purview". Its very observable from their content. He shouldn't be trying to dismantle glass onion on a minute level because that movie isn't propaganda, and he didn't understand it, and he isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Aye, it's what I was saying though in my previous post. He cant recommend films as he probably hasnt seen them. I doubt he'd ever recommend..

But it is what it is. And he's making bank so good luck to the lad, the worlds still a better place with him in it :messenger_sunglasses:
I bet you could pay him to watch it and then make a video.

The guy isn't a public service, he is in it to get paid. Can't really blame him for following the $$$ but show him another revenue stream and he might do it. What is the rough cost of all the equipment, software, and hosting fees (maybe youtube covers those) for a stream like that? Guy has probably sunk THOUSANDS into it and has to keep doing so. Same thing is happening to news outlets. There is little useful editorial oversight because each individual piece of news operates independently for clicks. Most of these sites don't have flat subscriber fees that could led to curated and professional product with varying levels of engagement, it all about the clicks and trying to get more, hence the clickbait nature of titles and the almost AI generated blandness of the writing with very little real information.

Sonik

You mean there isn’t infinite growth in the market of being a curmudgeonly asshole that spends hours lambasting harmless entertainment products based solely on where they subjectively fall on a spectrum of something nobody can even define?

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Hollywood woke weirdos lecturing us for the past 10 fucking years with their trash "entertainment" = harmless entertainment products

People calling out these weirdos and the low quality shit they produce: Crime against humanity

Peak hypocrisy

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Personally I just see it as yet another soapbox that represents the opposite end of the spectrum to the woke brain rot. While it was cathartic to listen to it for a brief moment when Marvel suddenly nose-dived in quality and Star Wars was being dragged through the mud, now it became just another side of the politicised conversation that I just want to stop hearing about altogether.

Last edited:

Bigbelly

Banned
It’s not that surprising really with certain channels dedicated to this stuff, it all has to do with money.

The funny thing is that reason is also why Hollywood is so “woke”. They too are maximizing their profits by appealing to the largest audience they possibly can.
People who make their brand all about shitting on something are sooner or later going to over extend themselves.
We saw that with the Hogwarts stuff earlier this year, and we are seeing it now with the Barbie stuff.

Media isn’t good or bad depending if it’s woke or conservative. It’s good if it’s good.

Drizzlehell

Banned
People who make their brand all about shitting on something are sooner or later going to over extend themselves.
Yeah, that's true. You only need to look to Nostalgia Critic or many other "angry critics" from the early days of YouTube and where most of them eventually ended up - either broke, out of touch, forgotten, or all of the above.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I find the vast majority of film reviewers on youtube to be total shit, both in their presentation style to the content itself. I think that most of them are nowhere near as cinematically literate as they think they are.

In the last five years, I just stopped watching/listening to reviews or even reading reviews and stopped watching trailers. I just go into a film knowing as little as possible about it beforehand and I found my enjoyment of films has really increased. I will check out reviews after I've seen a film but never beforehand.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah, that's true. You only need to look to Nostalgia Critic or many other "angry critics" from the early days of YouTube and where most of them eventually ended up - either broke, out of touch, forgotten, or all of the above.
I mean, i guess. But i think something like Nostalgia Critic works a lot better than Critical Drinker.

Playing up a wacky angry persona is (In my Opinion) far more entertaining and dynamic than saying the same thing about the same shit over and over again. Shows like AVGN and Nostalgia Critic besides the normal angry stuff also have fun skits, like those 2 AVGN episodes where he beat up on Bugs bunny (and got beaten up by him in the second one)
Or the infamous doug walker gifs. You already know them.
doug-walker-crying-on-the-computer.gif
doug-walker-clapping.gif

Stuff like that works as actual genuine entertainment you can revisit and get a laugh out of. antiwoke critics dont really do that, it's just flavor of the week stuff on the new 'woke' thing that's come out. There's no real passion or soul behind it, it's all just complaining and complaining. You can watch 2 Critical Drinker/The Quartering videos and get the same experience. It's not fun, it's not interesting, especially when youve heard the same thing from many many other people in the past.

It's also why it's so easy to rewatch AVGN, Nostalgia Critic and (he's not angry, but in a similar category) Scott the Woz's older videos because they aren't based on the current thing, the current news, the next "woke" thing that "signals the death of Western Civilization". It's just passion and love for this little Youtube thing they'd want to do.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Mauler in particular and most of the folks who are in the Geeks and Gamers squad are just unwitting cogs in the Machine. There's no such thing as bad exposure when it comes to things that come attached with a dollar and cent tag.

Do you think Bob Iger or Kathleen Kennedy or who the fuck ever give one iota of a squared fuck about which banner the person purchasing movie tickets waves? No. They're putting food on woke media's dinner table the same exact way (and amount, $$$) that the most sapphire haired ANTIFA groupie does.

It's a unique paradox these dudes have created, because in order to have anyone beyond the most baby-bird fed right wing headline chaser to give them any credibility, they have to fly in the face of their Degeneration-X vote with your wallet mantra and consume the media they profess to despise. You'll commonly see vlog style videos of these guys going to a movie theater and buying tickets for The Little Mermaid/Barbie/whatever, so their audience "doesn't have to,"

They're parasites, eating the shit they say stinks so they can, in turn, defecate a nice cow pile themselves, without the irony that these fat shitty bovines are feeding you the recycled version of the same first generation shit. One would fail without the other, and they'll never admit it.

That said, fuck woke stuff, but form your own opinions about it, don't let HeelVs.Quarterotic figure it out for you.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't mind there being people speaking out against the current state of Disney, the treatment of beloved franchises or the state of blockbuster movies in general.

I used to watch the critical drinker, but yeah after a while it all grows very repetitive. All the movies and shows he criticizes have the same or similar issues so it's just him repeating the same points over and over in every video. The latest live action Disney remake has the same problem as the last 5? You don't say

I dip in and out of Fnt and the like. When I want to watch them shit on something to hell and back ( Rings of Power, Indiana Jones), I tune in with a bag of chips.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Mauler in particular and most of the folks who are in the Geeks and Gamers squad are just unwitting cogs in the Machine. There's no such thing as bad exposure when it comes to things that come attached with a dollar and cent tag.

Do you think Bob Iger or Kathleen Kennedy or who the fuck ever give one iota of a squared fuck about which banner the person purchasing movie tickets waves? No. They're putting food on woke media's dinner table the same exact way (and amount, $$$) that the most sapphire haired ANTIFA groupie does.

It's a unique paradox these dudes have created, because in order to have anyone beyond the most baby-bird fed right wing headline chaser to give them any credibility, they have to fly in the face of their Degeneration-X vote with your wallet mantra and consume the media they profess to despise. You'll commonly see vlog style videos of these guys going to a movie theater and buying tickets for The Little Mermaid/Barbie/whatever, so their audience "doesn't have to,"

They're parasites, eating the shit they say stinks so they can, in turn, defecate a nice cow pile themselves, without the irony that these fat shitty bovines are feeding you the recycled version of the same first generation shit. One would fail without the other, and they'll never admit it.

That said, fuck woke stuff, but form your own opinions about it, don't let HeelVs.Quarterotic figure it out for you.

Don't act so smart. 😉😎

IE to maintain their viewers they adopt (naturally or artificially) as to maintain subscribers hence revenue. It's those that notice that and organically adapt and see said issues with their approach hence this thread.

I'm spitballing Kira but does my post make sense?

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Don't act so smart. 😉😎

IE to maintain their viewers they adopt (naturally or artificially) as to maintain subscribers hence revenue. It's those that notice that and organically adapt and see said issues with their approach hence this thread.

I'm spitballing Kira but does my post make sense?

Yeah, I think we're all in agreeance here. They really do kind of trap themselves once they gain a modicum of success. If you make it big by saying thing x sucks, then all of your fanbase will expect more of saying x thing sucks, to the point that anytime you want to say "thing y rules," the "thing x sucks," crowd will tune it out. It's just super bizarre to see the cyclical nature inherent in this stuff, even though I agree with a lot of what these people say.

Just feels super disengenuine.

But I guess that's the flavor of asshole I subscribed to.

Toons

Hollywood woke weirdos lecturing us for the past 10 fucking years with their trash "entertainment" = harmless entertainment products

People calling out these weirdos and the low quality shit they produce: Crime against humanity

Peak hypocrisy

You're trying to apply hard and fast rules to an arbitrary concept that pretty much everyone has their own definition for, and thats one of the actual competent parts of their marketing strategy with these guys.

They don't actually have to define what woke means anymore, they can just say something is woke, until it proves to be, it isn't, and they make their money anyway. We saw this play out in the Mario movies rollout, where they declared it woke propaganda because peach wore pants in a trailer shot(im not making this up) and then, when it actually came out, they then paraded it as being anti woke and a Disney killer.

So no, Hollywood hasn't been lecturing you for 10 years. They have been lecturing you for 80. It only got brought up because people realized they could make money off of an invisible, jnseen enemy with no definition but a few buzzwords attached. Its a product they are selling you, all the same, just like Hollywood movies are.

But yes, most of it is harmless, and if it isn't, then good, because we don't need harmless art, we need art that challenges us and far less of the safe formulaic milquetoast that the big heads have become reliant upon. Arguimg against that is not an argument for the improvement of Hollywood, its an argument for the creative stagnation of it.

And if they really want to campaign for better Hollywood content, they'd cover a lot more ground by actually recommending smaller stuff that isnt just propaganda but the other way.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Personally I just see it as yet another soapbox that represents the opposite end of the spectrum to the woke brain rot. While it was cathartic to listen to it for a brief moment when Marvel suddenly nose-dived in quality and Star Wars was being dragged through the mud, now it became just another side of the politicised conversation that I just want to stop hearing about altogether.

Been saying this since the start. If the game is the same, does it actually matter in the end which side the people playing it are on?

That being said, there is undeniable legitimacy in at least some of the counter-criticism because you'd have to be in complete denial of reality not to have noticed the overtly partisan messaging in modern entertainment product and the media that covers it.

Do I think some of the complaints are overblown? Absolutely. But its not reactionary to nothing.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah, I think we're all in agreeance here. They really do kind of trap themselves once they gain a modicum of success. If you make it big by saying thing x sucks, then all of your fanbase will expect more of saying x thing sucks, to the point that anytime you want to say "thing y rules," the "thing x sucks," crowd will tune it out. It's just super bizarre to see the cyclical nature inherent in this stuff, even though I agree with a lot of what these people say.

It's the same with shows that add needless seasons in a way.

And hey, it's human to our psyche to get some echo chamber feedback; makes your thoughts IE being/feeling not feel so isolated.

I'm the same asshole who feels vindicated via external feedback that resonates with my thoughts. It's a human trait.

Luckily, through  some media I download and experience very different perspectives on the same topics thus activates instant cross referencing and importing my own thoughts which is a neverending paradigm. Although I have my biase

Last edited:

Forsythia

The Drinker is fine, the rest of 'em are a bit too much imo and I do not like their content. Melonie was cooler when she was Melonie Tomb Raider, but she's gone off the deep end it seems.

It's good to be critical, but most of the time these people are overreacting for views.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
sheer-fucking-hubris-star-trek.gif

Thaedolus Thaedolus
If the twist at the end of Metroid were revealed in 2023, these guys would reduce the servers at YouTube to a puddle of slag in seconds.
There is a difference between then and now and the mental stability of the person that's doing it.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

If the twist at the end of Metroid were revealed in 2023, these guys would reduce the servers at YouTube to a puddle of slag in seconds.

If Samus would be revealed today she would be a spitting image of Fallon Fox. Hence I would give em the click.

Mr Blobby

like hearing reviews for their take, insight into a movie. Doesn't change my opinion. Don't have time for RDL and their humour is not my thing. A podcast that is more to the point is pop culture happy hour. Max review length about 20 minutes

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Thaedolus Thaedolus

There is a difference between then and now and the mental stability of the person that's doing it.
The difference between then and now is then there wasn't an economy of grifters specifically dedicated to hyper analyzing content and convincing fragile manbabies that any creative decision they don't like is actually a shot across their bow in the culture war that these same grifters rely on perpetuating in order to continue their grift.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

Hey, as long as eating ass is involved, sign me up!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The difference between then and now is then there wasn't an economy of grifters specifically dedicated to hyper analyzing content and convincing fragile manbabies that any creative decision they don't like is actually a shot across their bow in the culture war that these same grifters rely on perpetuating in order to continue their grift.
I know it's all fake propaganda made by manbabies, all those films and TV shows in the last decade were made with quality entertainment in mind and people just moan about it because of culture war shit.
giphy.webp

Drizzlehell

Banned
Alright - ALMOST all 80s movies. Some of them are gayer than West Hollywood on a Friday night.

I mean, i guess. But i think something like Nostalgia Critic works a lot better than Critical Drinker.

Playing up a wacky angry persona is (In my Opinion) far more entertaining and dynamic than saying the same thing about the same shit over and over again. Shows like AVGN and Nostalgia Critic besides the normal angry stuff also have fun skits, like those 2 AVGN episodes where he beat up on Bugs bunny (and got beaten up by him in the second one)
Or the infamous doug walker gifs. You already know them.
doug-walker-crying-on-the-computer.gif
doug-walker-clapping.gif

Stuff like that works as actual genuine entertainment you can revisit and get a laugh out of. antiwoke critics dont really do that, it's just flavor of the week stuff on the new 'woke' thing that's come out. There's no real passion or soul behind it, it's all just complaining and complaining. You can watch 2 Critical Drinker/The Quartering videos and get the same experience. It's not fun, it's not interesting, especially when youve heard the same thing from many many other people in the past.

It's also why it's so easy to rewatch AVGN, Nostalgia Critic and (he's not angry, but in a similar category) Scott the Woz's older videos because they aren't based on the current thing, the current news, the next "woke" thing that "signals the death of Western Civilization". It's just passion and love for this little Youtube thing they'd want to do.
To be perfectly honest, I haven't watched NC in a veeeeery long time now. I stopped even long before the whole fiasco with that skit show of his that failed spectacularly and forced him to dredge up the Critic character again. My point was that after his style of humour became stale, there was just nothing else of substance in his reviews because he never offered any interesting insights and it was basically all about picking easy targets and having a lark, similarly to how Drinker & Co. are targeting Disney.

Although maybe Critic wasn't the best example because last I checked, he somehow was able to turn things around and still pulls decent amount of viewers to his channel (although I have no idea if it's any good because I don't watch it). A more appropriate example would be the entire rest of what used to be Channel Awesome, especially guys like Spoony.

What I'm curious about the most is whether they have the kind of self-awareness to see this paradox, or do they genuinely believe that they're doing some kind of public service to their viewers and they're making a noble sacrifice by wading through all that garbage for content.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Been reading ancient aliens books since i was 15. Saw David Icke live twice and for a myriad of reasons I've got in a dry spell. Thank god for discovering The Higher Side Chats for invigorating and broaden my inherent interest in whatever.

Perhaps it's good to take a brake and organically stumple upon something that's more in line with your momentary line of thought regarding w/e

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I know it's all fake propaganda made by manbabies, all those films and TV shows in the last decade were made with quality entertainment in mind and people just moan about it because of culture war shit.
giphy.webp
Well that’s a bunch of stuff I didn’t say but have at it.

simpatico

I don't understand OP, are you trying to imagine that bad movies are good so you can enjoy them? Has Drinker ever panned a good movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom