• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•21-23•16 - Jack can't reach Madea @ BOO!x office, Joneses can't keep up

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea, then. ;p

But of course that's my mindset to ignore that bullshit but it still happens, it's just a perspective in the community. If you don't like a certain something black related, then you aren't whatever enough.

I get that, But Tyler Perry films used as a metric of blackness? What part of the game is that? LOL

Also awesome that Ava is getting a chance to do that. But after that civil war movie with Matthew Mc, with the same black actress (of course that's not to say the movie was bad because of it). Is that interracial couple stuff going to fly with the general public? Since i already know about how certain proportions of the movie going experience feel about BM/WW potential happening ala the new Star wars sequels. Even the nerds of that camp are bothered by it or at least it seems that way.

Free State of Jones is a war film, A Wrinkle in Time is 100 million dollar big budget special effects driven Disney family film. Two very different markets, plus I don't think people give that much of a fuck about onscreen interracial couples.

Schlorgan

Weekend Actuals:

1. Boo! A Madea Halloween - $28,501,448
2. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - $22,872,490
3. Ouija: Origin of Evil - $14,065,500
4. The Accountant - $13,643,132
5. The Girl on the Train (2016) - $7,166,015
6. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - $5,894,943
7. Keeping Up with the Joneses - $5,461,475
8. Kevin Hart: What Now? - $4,118,255
9. Storks - $4,003,270
10. Deepwater Horizon - $3,399,466

I get that, But Tyler Perry films used as a metric of blackness? What part of the game is that? LOL

Free State of Jones is a war film, A Wrinkle in Time is 100 million dollar big budget special effects driven Disney family film. Two very different markets, plus I don't think people give that much of a fuck about onscreen interracial couples.

Wasn't talking about Tyler Perry being the metric for blackness, just one part.

Schlorgan

#FourMoreYears

71029.jpg

Busty

Banned
Weekend Actuals:

1. Boo! A Madea Halloween - $28,501,448
2. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - $22,872,490

3. Ouija: Origin of Evil - $14,065,500
4. The Accountant - $13,643,132
5. The Girl on the Train (2016) - $7,166,015
6. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - $5,894,943
7. Keeping Up with the Joneses - $5,461,475
8. Kevin Hart: What Now? - $4,118,255
9. Storks - $4,003,270
10. Deepwater Horizon - $3,399,466

Yowser. Madea beat the Cruiser by nearly $6m in the end?

I bet Universal are sweating over that redux of The Mummy that's supposed to kick start this (baffling) classic monster cineverse of theirs next summer.

Replicant

Ouija was pretty good. I didn't know it's a prequel though. If I had seen the original the film's story may not be as surprising as it did for me.

kewlmyc

Bitches stay mad when TP wins because it slowly dismantles the illusions and lies that Hollywood constructed - that no one wants to see black actors and black movies won't make money. If people are willing to go see Tyler Perry in a fat suit consistently for over a decade, just imagine what elevated material with the same time and money (or more) could accomplish.

I'm not going to get mad at this man for building an empire right under Hollywood's noses. Seriously, who the fuck else has roles for Cicely Tyson? Shonda Rhimes? Hollywood would rather pretend she doesn't exist. I'm supposed to be mad that he's giving black actors paychecks for what?

No, but I am going to be miffed with a guy who can actually produce good material and can act well releasing a low effort movie that was filmed in 6 days and is based of a Chris Rock joke about how ridiculous the Madea movies have become. Its like when a kid that can get an A or B average in school settles for getting Ds because it doesn't require any effort and still qualifies as passing.

kswiston

I bet Universal are sweating over that redux of The Mummy that's supposed to kick start this (baffling) classic monster cineverse of theirs next summer.

To be fair, Jack Reacher looks like something that would make about $8M opening weekend if it starred someone like Clive Owen instead of Tom Cruise. Every trailer looks generic, and it's an adult oriented crime thriller with a 47 metacritic score.

Snake

I wouldn't even know Deepwater Horizon existed if I hadn't read the OP here. Hadn't seen a single ad or piece of marketing, and for such a large budget at that.

I don't know why. If anything Jack Reacher shows just how strong the cruise brand still is. The trailers make the movie look generic action movie which would usually flop. It'll end up making like 150-200 million WW based on Cruise alone. That plus the mummy is actually a fairly decent sized brand, as far as I know even the crappy later instalments made decent money.

I'm not saying it'll be a hit or that it for sure won't flop but as long as the budget isn't out of control I see it doing decently (assuming it's not hot garbage).

Didn't they already try with that piss awful Dracula movie?

Busty

Banned
Didn't they already try with that piss awful Dracula movie?

That was supposed to kick start the franchise (and some at the studio thought that the Irish director who did it was going to be the next Nolan...,) with Charles Dance signed to a multi film deal so he could play the Nick Fury character of this monster verse.

When that film did no business in the US and middling money worldwide the studio abandoned that effort and went back to square one hence this expensive Mummy redux with Cruise. I have no idea if Charles Dance and Luke Evans are going to be involved.

It's going to be fascinating to see where they go if this Mummy redux fails too given that it's supposed to introduce some other Universal monster characters in it.

I don't know why. If anything Jack Reacher shows just how strong the cruise brand still is. The trailers make the movie look generic action movie which would usually flop. It'll end up making like 150-200 million WW based on Cruise alone. That plus the mummy is actually a fairly decent sized brand, as far as I know even the crappy later instalments made decent money.

I'm not saying it'll be a hit or that it for sure won't flop but as long as the budget isn't out of control I see it doing decently (assuming it's not hot garbage).

While Cruise is undoubtedly still a big draw I know that Universal had to pay a fortune to get Cruise aboard so I would doubt that this film (given its international locations) was under $150m once everything is said and done.

The problem is that Universal needs this film to do Mission Impossible business, not Edge Of Tomorrow business. And Cruise rarely does those sorts of numbers outside of the Mission Impossible films.

milanbaros

Member?
Read on box office mojo that Inferno has half the budget of the previous entry. Very smart choice. I think it will struggle to get $100m, more likely $80m.

womfalcs3

Banned

Jack Reacher has been leading Madea since the weekend. Madea is front-loaded.

Busty

Banned
Jack Reacher has been leading Madea since the weekend. Madea is front-loaded.

I watched Jack Reacher 2 last night and it was fucking awful. I can't see this film having much in the way of legs even if it isn't as front loaded as Madea.

Seriously, what a cheap looking and dull film. As a Cruise fan I was surprised as the man is one of the few A list actors who brings a 100% to everything he does.

Yeah man, he did all the wacky stuff in Oblivion, including totally eating shit on a motorcycle crash that inexplicably ended with him bailing out, rolling, and standing up like nothing happened

Harmen

As much as I dislike the direction DCEU took/is taking, Suicide Squad doing this well will likely ensure a sequel with a chance to make something good out of this very cool concept.

It will be interesting to see how well Fantastic Beasts and Dr Strange do. I am not sure what to expect of those BO-wise to be honest.

Bitches stay mad when TP wins because it slowly dismantles the illusions and lies that Hollywood constructed - that no one wants to see black actors and black movies won't make money. If people are willing to go see Tyler Perry in a fat suit consistently for over a decade, just imagine what elevated material with the same time and money (or more) could accomplish.

I'm not going to get mad at this man for building an empire right under Hollywood's noses. Seriously, who the fuck else has roles for Cicely Tyson? Shonda Rhimes? Hollywood would rather pretend she doesn't exist. I'm supposed to be mad that he's giving black actors paychecks for what?
Really?
That's your analysis?
And we're going to act like black people don't piss on Madea as well?
No one is thinking about the full scope of black film making I'm Hollywood when they're shitting on Madea, unless it's to say they wish it was better.

milanbaros

Member?
Read on box office mojo that Inferno has half the budget of the previous entry. Very smart choice. I think it will struggle to get $100m, more likely $80m.

Looks like it will struggle to get to $60m. That budget cut and international will save this from being a bomb. My god, who even wanted this sequel?

kswiston

Studio numbers in a few hours but Deadline is estimating $5.5-6M on Friday (including Thursday previews) for Inferno. It's possible that the entire weekend ends up under Angel and Demons' opening night of $16.5M.

They have Madea holding pretty well at $4.4M on Friday, and Reacher collapsing to $2.8M.

I mentioned it in another thread, but Boxoffice.com has long range forcasts up for the big December films now. Here are their early predictions.

Dec 16
Rogue One - $135M Opening Weekend - $405M total
Collateral Beauty - $13M OW - $75M total
The Space Between Us - $8M OW - $45M total

Dec 23 (X-Mas films are opening Wed, Dec 21. Opening Weekend predictions are just for the Fri-Sun)
Assassin's Creed - $13M Opening Weekend - $53M total
Passengers - $38M - $177M total
Sing - $24M - $115M total
Why Him - $11M - $54M.

That Sing prediction seems extremely low, especially given the lack of holiday family films. We shall see.

kswiston

Swiss, I'm sure I missed it, but have we seen studio predictions for Strange?

The last more official tracking I have seen was $50-75M opening, which isn't super informative. That was before the review embargo lifted. I'm not sure if the positive reception makes any difference.

EDIT: We will of course get early overseas numbers this weekend.

BumRush

The last more official tracking I have seen was $50-75M opening, which isn't super informative. That was before the review embargo lifted. I'm not sure if the positive reception makes any difference.

EDIT: We will of course get early overseas numbers this weekend.

Cool, thanks!

banktree

Banned
Seems like everything is getting way lowballed for some reason. Box office has been dead since Suicide Squad, and I don't think that's an accident. Star Wars only opening with Deadpool numbers? The closest thing to Harry Potter only $75?

Predictions - $75-110 open for Strange, $250 total. HP Similar, $300 total. Star Wars $150-$200 open, $500 total.

I like to err high.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
No amount of prayers and candle lighting will save Sony’s Inferno from eternal damnation at the domestic box office as the $75M-budgeted production is crashing toward an estimated three-day No. 1 opening of $15.5M after a $5.6M Friday (that includes $800K previews).

things are so bad for Inferno right now, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Lionsgate’s Tyler Perry’s Boo! A Madea Halloween post a fantastic Saturday night and steal away the No. 1 crown. Should that occur, it would be a huge feat for Madea beating Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks at the box office in back-to-back weekends. Current projected second weekend for Boo! is $15M, with a nice -47% hold.

tumblr_mkt2h1V9Uo1r0ffxro1_500.gif

http://deadline.com/2016/10/inferno-ron-howard-tom-hanks-1201844398/

I haven't seen a franchise fall as hard as the Dan Brown novels in quite a while, and it's been the same director/star the whole time

I'm sure Felicity Jones is going to dry her tears with the buckets of cash Rogue One will make

kswiston

Studio Friday Estimates:

1) Inferno - $5.6M
2) Boo! A Madea Halloween - $4.6M (-52%) - $40M total
3) Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (-67%) - $2.9M - $33M total
4) The Accountant - $2.5M (-43%) - $55M total
5) Ouija: Origin of Evil - $2.2M (-60%) - $20M total

Discounting Thursday previews, Inferno's opening Friday was only $200k ahead of Madea's second Friday.

FTF

lol holy shit that's bad for Inferno. Also, will this be the worst 1st to 3rd movie drop of all time? Total domestically, Inferno will drop 80% from Da Vinci Code.

pestul

Assassin's Creed seems like it will be disappointing at the box office.
If it's good (even better than decent) I think it will be fine. If it ends up being hot garbage, it will suffer as it should. Then we move on to again waiting for a successful video game to film adaptation.

I was about to say how did Inferno even get made, because I thought Angels and Demons was a bomb and that was like 7 years ago. But I see looking it up now it wasn't a total dud as I remembered, just a steep drop from Da Vinci. I guess Hanks wanted to do it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom