• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•21-23•16 - Jack can't reach Madea @ BOO!x office, Joneses can't keep up

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

swThDG8.jpg
Nov7BsS.jpg
UuenW98.jpg
jCQbPVi.jpg
WsebZAe.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
31% Boo! A Madea Halloween
eptv7.gif
40% Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
kavuF.gif
81% Ouija: Origin of Evil
3Pj0x.gif
51% The Accountant
5f4ew.gif
43% The Girl on the Train (2016)
-
aAS8X.gif
17% Keeping Up with the Joneses
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
40% I'm Not Ashamed
-
-
CBq5r.gif
99% Moonlight (2016)

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Madea Halloween’ Edges Out ‘Jack Reacher 2’ With $27.6 Million

'Keeping Up with the Joneses" bombs, while "Moonlight" impresses in limited release

It was a battle of the sequels at the multiplexes this weekend, as “Boo! A Madea Halloween” narrowly edged out “Jack Reacher: Never Go Back” to claim first place at the domestic box office.

The latest film in the long-running Madea series racked up $27.6 million. Comedian Chris Rock may be entitled to a percentage of the gross. Perry was inspired to take his pistol-packing grandma trick-or-treating after Rock’s comedian character in 2014’s “Top Five” joked that his latest movie, a passion project about a slave revolt, was going head-to-head at the box office with “Boo! A Madea Halloween.” What was once intended as satire eventually became a seasonally-appropriate reality.

Don’t look for “Boo!” to end up in the Oscar race or on many reviewers’ “ten best” lists, but the Halloween comedy is a hit for distributor Lionsgate and reaffirms Perry’s star power. Despite being routinely derided by critics, the film series has an extremely loyal fan base. Collectively they’ve earned nearly $380 million, enjoying capacious profit margins given that most of the movies cost less than a Papa John’s Super Bowl spot to produce. The latest Madea cost $20 million to make, and attracted a more diverse crowd. Typically the films have an audience that’s between 80% to 90% African-American, but this installment’s crowd was only 60% African-American, with the rest of ticket buyers made up largely of Caucasians and Hispanic ticket-buyers.

“The film crossed over and it expanded the audience,” said David Spitz, co-president of domestic distribution at Lionsgate. “Madea is such a beloved character and the timing helped. There are not many comedies in the marketplace right now and Halloween is right around the corner.”

“Never Go Back” was right behind, with the action sequel earning a solid $23 million. The film brought back Tom Cruise as Reacher, an ex-military investigator with a penchant for ass-kicking. The films are based on a popular series of books by Lee Childs, but despite their best-selling pedigree, a sequel to “Jack Reacher” wasn’t exactly a given. The first film ended up making money for Paramount in 2012, grossing $218.3 million worldwide on a production budget of $60 million, but it wasn’t exactly a blockbuster. The film did, however, have a healthy after-life on home entertainment platforms.

“It felt for awhile like every time I’d go on a plane, it was the movie every person was watching,” said Megan Colligan, Paramount’s president of worldwide distribution and marketing. “It was a movie that expanded its audience.”

The studio made sure that costs didn’t escalate on the sequel, keeping the budget locked at $60 million, a feat since most franchises increase their spending with each subsequent installment. They were rewarded for the cost consciousness. “Never Go Back” improved on “Jack Reacher’s” $15.2 million debut from four years ago. It’s worth noting, however, that the previous film debuted days after the Sandy Hook elementary school killings, which may have depressed turnout for the violent adventure film.

“Ouija: Origin of Evil,” the follow-up to 2014’s low-budget horror hit “Ouija,” picked up $14.1 million, a respectable return given its $9 million budget. Universal distributed the Blumhouse production, which got markedly better reviews than the original, but couldn’t translate the critical notices into a bigger opening than its predecessor. The first film in the series kicked off to $19.9 million before going on to make $103.6 million globally. Platinum Dunes and Hasbro produced the board game adaptation.

“Origin of Evil” is set in the 1960’s and centers on a scam seance artist who unwittingly invites evil spirits into her home. The film’s PG-13 rating meant its audience skewed younger, with 57% of ticket-buyers clocking in under the age of 25. Universal believes the film will benefit from the holiday next week.

“Based on the fact that we’re the only wide release horror film on Halloween, we’re expecting to hold well,” said Nick Carpou, Universal’s domestic distribution chief.

Last weekend’s champ, Warner Bros.’ “The Accountant” had to settle for fourth place, picking up $14 million to push its domestic total to $47.9 million.

DreamWorks’s Pictures “The Girl on the Train” rounded out the top five, earning $7.3 million. The adaptation of the literary hit about an alcoholic who becomes obsessed with a missing woman, has earned $58.9 million after three weeks in theaters. Universal distributed the film.

The weekend’s other major new release, Fox’s “Keeping Up with the Joneses” flopped, eking out $5.6 million. The action-comedy about a suburban couple who get entangled in the world of international espionage, stars Jon Hamm, Zach Galifianakis, Gal Gadot, and Isla Fisher. It’s a rough start given its $40 million budget.

Among other releases, “The Met: Live in HD’s” screening of Mozart’s Don Giovanni drew opera fans, grossing $1.7 million on more than 900 screens.

Faith-based distributor Pure Flix debuted “I’m Not Ashamed,” a drama about a victim of the Columbine High School shootings, to $900,000 on 505 theaters.

Michael Moore waded into the presidential election with “Michael Moore In TrumpLand,” a film of a one-man stage performance that the documentary filmmaker delivered in Ohio, all but begging the Rust Belt to abandon the Donald. The film earned $50,200 on two screens for a $25,100 per-screen average.

In a statement, Moore said, “”This film speaks to and is being enjoyed by many constituencies, namely the 50% of the country planning not to vote, or those voting third party, but also among Clinton supporters and even Trump voters who know better. I’m convinced now that as millions of Americans will see this movie, it will have an impact on this election.”

Rapturous critical notices lifted “Moonlight” at the art house box office this weekend. The film was bolstered by a love letter from the New York Times’ A.O. Scott, who labeled it “breathtaking” and stopped short of declaring it 2016’s best film with two months left to go in the year. The A24 release earned an impressive $414,740 on four screens, for a sizzling $103,685 per-screen average. That sets it up nicely as the indie distributor looks to expand the drama about a gay boy coming-of-age in the inner city of Miami. It could also bolster “Moonlight’s” Oscar chances.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Wilsongt

Here comes the Madea hate. Madea moves are good fun for the couple of hours it's on. People like them.

Gaf gonna Gaf.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Omg Tom Cruise got beat by Tyler Perry! That's hilarious. There has been nothing to watch since June though (Finding Dory). This year has sucked for movies in general.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I saw The Accountant and would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the really good gunplay from John Wick or Collateral. The action and how it's filmed is the best part of the film. It's the story that falters a bit.

El Topo

The Madea movie seemed okay, if the trailer is anything to go by. Far from the worst shit I've seen. Nothing I'd watch in cinema, but surely something I might check out on Netflix on a boring evening.

kewlmyc

Guess you're regularly disappointed every few years.

Nah, I'm fine with Madea (though I'm not a fan) when it's based off one of the plays. At least that has some effort put into it.

Boo! A Madea Halloween came into creation after Chris Rock made a joke about how ridiculous of a premise a movie like this would be. Tyler Perry then went "wow, that would actually make a lot of money" and put it into production. Filming this movie only took 6 days. It's so low effort that I can't even respect it.

I'm clairvoyant.. I predict ITT: lots of ppl who aren't black or Christian will complain and act like they have no idea how a movie that isn't made with them in mind as the target audience could make so much money. I bet half watched ernest movies or atleast doesn't hate Ernest the way they hate madea. And they won't question why that is. I am a powerful being.

Also I wonder if jack reacher is as bad as critics say.. I still might go risk it. Never was a huge madea fan but I'm glad it made money.

Nah, I'm fine with Madea (though I'm not a fan) when it's based off one of the plays. At least that has some effort put into it.

Boo! A Madea Halloween came into creation after Chris Rock made a joke about how ridiculous of a premise a movie like this would be. Tyler Perry then went "wow, that would actually make a lot of money" and put it into production. Filming this movie only took 6 days. It's so low effort that I can't even respect it.

How did this even cost so much to make?

Tyler Perry laughing to the bank again. I don't get why people get mad his movies do well though, it's not liked you're forced to watch.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Tyler Perry ain't cheap.

Don't worry he's in Edgar Wright's new film that opens a week after Logan, same day as Kong, and the week before the live action Beauty and The Beast. Surely that won't bomb.

I'm glad his films don't blow up the box office - the studios would absolutely franchise them, without Wright.

Cipherr

I'm clairvoyant.. I predict ITT: lots of ppl who aren't black or Christian will complain and act like they have no idea how a movie that isn't made with them in mind as the target audience could make so much money. I bet half watched ernest movies or atleast doesn't hate Ernest the way they hate madea. And they won't question why that is. I am a powerful being.

Also I wonder if jack reacher is as bad as critics say.. I still might go risk it. Never was a huge madea fan but I'm glad it made money.

Bruh cmon, you can visit predominantly black message boards and see Madea films hated on constantly as well.

Reminds me of how people react to Adam Sandler movies (pre netflix ones).

Ahahahah, yeah, thats a spot on match.

Jack Reacher is below-mediocre and overwritten and stingy with the action sequences. Maybe standards are rising, and recycled villainy in a sequel nobody asked for ain't cutting it.

Damn. Being stingy with the action is a cardinal sin in an action movie especially a sequel. Maybe I should just sit this one out.

Schlorgan

Saw Reacher. It was alright. Competently made and had some good moments. Colbie Smulders killed a guy with a garden hose. I was definitely entertained, but I'm not invested enough in it to say it didn't deserve that RT score. It was a smaller theater, but it was full. People seemed to like it.

Bruh cmon, you can visit predominantly black message boards and see Madea films hated on constantly as well.
Yea but they usually go more along the line of this movie is trash/weak/garbage!!

Not HOW!? This makes NO sense! Breaking bad he can't keep getting away with it gif! WHO is watching these?How did it possibly beat "insert whatever mainstream movie" at the box office.

There's a difference between seeing Medea movies or knowing the quality of em an calling it garbage and just thinking this thing that I don't get or think is funny or worthy of making so much money is doing just that an it doesn't compute all things must be for me or atleast understandable by me. Gets tiring online bruh so callin it out when see it.

Ppl always seem to know exactly how transformers makes its money even while acknowledging it bad.

LotusHD

Banned

This. Me and a lot of other black people love to hate on Madea movies. Used to like them quite a bit when I was younger though, so it's not surprising that it still has a loyal fanbase, and I certainly won't criticize anyone (I'll mock them lightly though) for continuing to like them. I dunno, I'm genuinely glad that Perry and others are able to routinely make bank from the franchise. But at the same time, Madea films to me are the epitome of why I won't like a show/movie simply because there's a lot of black people in it. It really is just at the bottom of the barrel for me, and sometimes even portrays stereotypes of black people that I'm rather uncomfortable with. But yea, at some point in life, you want your "black movies and shows" to have quality as well. (i.e. the show Atlanta for example)

LotusHD

Banned
Yea but they usually go more along the line of this movie is trash/weak/garbage!!

Not HOW!? This makes NO sense! Breaking bad he can't keep getting away with it gif! WHO is watching these?How did it possibly beat "insert whatever mainstream movie" at the box office.

There's a difference between seeing Medea movies or knowing the quality of em an calling it garbage and just thinking this thing that I don't get or think is funny or worthy of making so much money is doing just that an it doesn't compute all things must be for me or atleast understandable by me. Gets tiring online bruh so callin it out when see it.

Ppl always seem to know exactly how transformers makes its money even while acknowledging it bad.

Yea, that's definitely true as well. I know exactly the sort of audiences that Madea films attract; it isn't something alien to me, regardless of how good/bad I perceive Perry's movies to be.

This. Me and a lot of other black people love to hate on Madea movies. Used to like them quite a bit when I was younger though, so it's not surprising that it still has a loyal fanbase, and I certainly won't criticize anyone (I'll mock them lightly though) for continuing to like them. I dunno, I'm genuinely glad that Perry and others are able to routinely make bank from the franchise. But at the same time, Madea films to me are the epitome of why I won't like a show/movie simply because there's a lot of black people in it. It really is just at the bottom of the barrel for me, and sometimes even portrays stereotypes of black people that I'm rather uncomfortable with. But yea, at some point in life, you want your "black movies and shows" to have quality as well. (i.e. the show Atlanta for example)
I never liked em not even the plays. But u made my point when you said " it's not surprising it has a loyal fanbase". It doesn't come as a shock to you cause you can realize and acknowledge ppl who aren't you like an pay to see these terrible movies.

Edit: ^^yea u said basically the same thing in your next post.

kewlmyc

Tyler Perry laughing to the bank again. I don't get why people get mad his movies do well though, it's not liked you're forced to watch.
You'd be surprised. I've seen every single Madea movie and play released so far since my family loves them and watch them every time we have a family get together. I could just not show up to family events, but I wouldn't hear the end of it.

I was hoping people would at least wise up with this one and not watch since it's so low effort, but I guess not.

The funny thing about that is
“One thing that is interesting about this movie and it showed in the research initially and the exit polls pointed it out: We have more of a general audience this time around. Usually, on average, 80% to 90% of Tyler Perry films draw an African American audience and with Boo! its 60% African American and 32% Caucasian and Latinos,” said Spitz, who also noted that with Halloween coming up, the film is likely to get a nice boost in the marketplace. “Because we are playing out differently than other Tyler Perry films, I think we have a chance to over-perform on the second weekend.”

Give more money to mediocre movies, sure. But when a great action movie comes along, y'all miss it at the cinema (Mad Max Fury Road, Dredd, The Raid, Shoot Em Up, etc).
😑😑 I saw mad max/shoot em up/Dredd in theaters. Your right about the raid tho I didn't even know it existed til I saw it on DVD/digital. That's my bad. I love action movies tho so I watch most in theaters from the great ones to the mediocre ones.
I saw hardcore Henry day 1😞😞.

Never cared for the Tyler Perry movies, I know some of my family loves them but I'm okay with a black director making successful movies.

Bruh, there's a lot of quality Black films and television. I mean Birth of A Nation, The Queen of Katwe, and Moonlight are in theatres right now, have you gone to seen any of them instead of complaining about the existence and success of Madea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom