• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•21-23•16 - Jack can't reach Madea @ BOO!x office, Joneses can't keep up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorcerer

According to Box Office Mojo, Madea is in the genre of "Comedy-Fat Suit". lol!!!
Never knew that was a name for a genre.

Son Of D

Okay I'm late to this (been away from Gaf for a couple of months) but Deepwater Horizon really cost $110m?

I ain't even going to check but I can guarantee the Madea films are not released internationally.

I've never seen them in a cinema in the UK before, even advertised. Don't think they even get released here on DVD either. Anecdotal but it's something I guess.

Slayven

Madea films are true diversity .

True diversity isn't about excelling when given a chance, it is about excelling when you are given a chance and being mediocre and still make paper

Why can't there be black, asian, latino, etc Paul Blurts?

Bruh, there's a lot of quality Black films and television. I mean Birth of A Nation, The Queen of Katwe, and Moonlight are in theatres right now, have you gone to seen any of them instead of complaining about the existence and success of Madea?

Fire

Dabanton

Jack Reacher is below-mediocre and overwritten and stingy with the action sequences. Maybe standards are rising, and recycled villainy in a sequel nobody asked for ain't cutting it.

Standards aren't rising, but I agree Never Go Back was very mediocre compared to the first movie, it felt like a TV movie.

Was amusing to see how cliched they made it.

scoobs

Ouija was so bad. I had high hopes and it just fell flat on its face about halfway in. Oh well, the search for another good horror movie continues

You'd be surprised. I've seen every single Madea movie and play released so far since my family loves them and watch them every time we have a family get together. I could just not show up to family events, but I wouldn't hear the end of it.

I was hoping people would at least wise up with this one and not watch since it's so low effort, but I guess not.

That's when you go to the bathroom, go to another movie, and don't come back until the end.

LotusHD

Banned
Bruh, there's a lot of quality Black films and television. I mean Birth of A Nation, The Queen of Katwe, and Moonlight are in theatres right now, have you gone to seen any of them instead of complaining about the existence and success of Madea?

I didn't complain about Madea though, and I definitely do attempt to watch as many quality Black entertainment as possible. (I don't want to watch Birth of a Nation though) I was only sort of just airing my grievance that there are certain shows/films that people just sort of expect you to watch or be really into just because the cast is mostly composed of black people. The show Empire is a recent example of what I'm talking about. But of course, while said shows do have the ability to appeal or resonate with me for reasons that a non-black person might be unable to reciprocate, usually (not always though) I still want the movie/show to be, well, good lol

That being said, I'm not saying there's no room for "bad" black shows/movies. I'm just reminiscing of the times when I've had people expect me to watch/love shows/movies regardless of the quality, just because I'm black.

Kill em. I've seen 2/3 of em. Never heard of moonlight tho. Guess I should check into it.

kswiston

Madea films are true diversity .

True diversity isn't about excelling when given a chance, it is about excelling when you are given a chance and being mediocre and still make paper

No one is busting down the door to make good versions of the Madea films either. I could see people being angry if tons of great wide release comedies aimed at black audiences were failing in favour of Madea 7, but there aren't a ton of options outside of Tyler Perry.

Schlorgan

No one is busting down the door to make good versions of the Madea films either. I could see people being angry if tons of great wide release comedies aimed at black audiences were failing in favour of Madea 7, but there aren't a ton of options outside of Tyler Perry.

F Gary Gray should bring back Friday once he's done with Fast 8.

Existing Madea fanbase / receptive demographic aside, it's also actually been three years since the last Madea film (the Christmas one). Not surprised Boo! took the top box-office heh.

I saw it with my parents opening night. Third act aside, it was actually a decent watch IMO. Actually got a handful of laughs out of me. :v

:jnc at that Madea user score (1.2) and it gets $27M.

In other news... Bombs. Bombs everywhere.

In fairness, that's only based on six scores lol.

pfft

I didn't complain about Madea though, and I definitely do attempt to watch as many quality Black entertainment as possible. (I don't want to watch Birth of a Nation though) I was only sort of just airing my grievance that there are certain shows/films that people just sort of expect you to watch or be really into just because the cast is mostly composed of black people. The show Empire is a recent example of what I'm talking about. But of course, while said shows do have the ability to appeal or resonate with me for reasons that a non-black person might be unable to reciprocate, usually (not always though) I still want the movie/show to be, well, good lol

That being said, I'm not saying there's no room for "bad" black shows/movies. I'm just reminiscing of the times when I've had people expect me to watch/love shows/movies regardless of the quality, just because I'm black.

So that's a no that you haven't watched Birth of a Nation, Queen of Katwe, or Moonlight.

OK.

Slayven

There is one coming up that looks good

almostchristmas1.jpg

It even got that goofy guy who be in everything but no one knows his name

According to ice cube on Conan. The studio that has the rights(new line??) doesn't see its value or potential ����.

In fairness to New Line, the last film (Friday After Next) is liked by virtually nobody and (in comparison to its budget) wasn't as successful as the past two films.

That said, I imagine a Friday film that had Ice Cube, Chris Tucker, and F. Gary Gray all back on board (the former two weren't in the sequels) could actually turn out to be a good watch.

kswiston

Speaking of Moonlight, $100k PTA is one of the better ultra limited performances I have seen this year. I wonder if that will translate to a decent domestic run as the film platforms to a wider release.

In fairness to New Line, the last film (Friday After Next) is liked by virtually nobody and (in comparison to its budget) wasn't as successful as the past two films.

That said, I imagine a Friday film that had Ice Cube, Chris Tucker, and F. Gary Gray all back on board (the former two weren't in the sequels) could actually turn out to be a good watch.

Ice Cube isn't at John Witherspoon's curmudgeon level yet if they want to do a Creed, role reversal sequel.

Yea I understand that the last Friday was a drop in quality and profit but it still made money. Ice cube is kinda back right now so it's the best time to strike on it. Get F. Gary Gray and Tucker back and it should do fine just put by the director of Friday/Straight out of Compton/Fast 8 comes Last Friday. Hell even throw in Kevin heart if they are nervous lol. Hopefully no one calls Mike epps tho.

Schlorgan

According to ice cube on Conan. The studio that has the rights(new line??) doesn't see its value or potential 😑😑.

Maybe if Fast 8 does really well they'd let him. It might also be alright if he got Ice Cube and Chris Tucker and made a spiritual successor without the name. It depends on where he wants to go after Fast 8.

Give more money to mediocre movies, sure. But when a great action movie comes along, y'all miss it at the cinema (Mad Max Fury Road, Dredd, The Raid, Shoot Em Up, etc).

Fury Road made like twice as much money as Jack Reacher.
The Raid was released on less than 1000 screens and barely marketed.
Shoot 'Em Up wasn't any better than Jack Reacher. Also, it had Clive Owen in it.

I'll give you Dredd.

LotusHD

Banned
Because you literally said:

Well this is a good point as any.

Yea okay, but that wasn't me saying that saying that there aren't quality stuff out there...

It's just part of the reason I push back on people feeling like I'm obligated to watch black movies/shows, regardless of quality, though this tends to mainly refer to things I consider to be mediocre. (Not everyone goes through this perhaps, but I'm focusing on just my experiences) This would be Madea films in this case. But at the same time, I may not always be immediately hip to all the quality black shows/films out there, or have the time to watch it as soon as possible. (I do genuinely try to be though) So yea, I don't enjoy your implication that I should have seen these movies already, or that I need to have seen them before I'm allowed to come for Madea movies lol

I should be able to say that I gravitate towards said shows with quality, and rip on Madea a little. Never said anything close to saying that they shouldn't exist period or that I'm greatly annoyed by its success or something, so I honestly don't even where the hostility is coming from to begin with, and why it's still continuing.

To my knowledge, only other person to step up and fill the void is Kevin Hart. :p

Jack Reacher Never Go Back is a bad movie and a huge dropoff in quality from the first. I think it might be Cruise's worst film ever. Worse than Cocktail.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Finding Dory - $1.017B
Jack Reacher - $54M
Inferno - $95M
The Accountant - $58M
The Girl on the Train - $104M
Miss Peregrine - $224M (Soon to be Burton's second biggest film in the past decade)
Magnificent Seven - $156M
Storks - $148M
Bridget Jones' Baby - $167M

Schlorgan

Worldwide Updates:

Finding Dory - $1.017B
Jack Reacher - $54M
The Accountant - $58M
The Girl on the Train - $104M
Miss Peregrine - $224M (Soon to be Burton's second biggest film in the past decade)
Magnificent Seven - $156M
Storks - $148M

With a $60 million production budget, that's probably Paramount's best opening this year.

For comparison, Star Trek's opening weekend gross was $59 million.

The Family That Preys is the only Tyler Perry film that I've sat through that I could say is actually good. But the Madea movies just ain't for me. But my family is right there on opening weekend right after church with a ton of other people waiting in a long ass line and sold out showings. I'm not surprised by this at all.

Biggest shock remains Ouija actually being good.

I think Perry should think about showing his films in predominantly black countries . He may have a fanbase there whether he knows it or not .

He shouldn't confine himself to just the US . I say predominantly black countries because I don't think he has a white fanbase at all . I remember Sony had a black film called think Like a Man and it did pretty good in South Africa

kswiston

I guess Vinny isn't alone in his love for Lionsgate stuff. The Mechanic Resurrection opened to $24.5M in China this weekend. More than the film made total domestically.

MIMIC

Banned
The Madea movie got a 31% from RT? Considering the type of movie, that actually isn't that bad. Those types of shlocky, slapstick movies usually get single digit ratings.

kswiston

One more shitty week and things FINALLY start to brighten up in these threads.

All three of Nov 4th's wide releases (Doctor Strange, Trolls, and Hacksaw Ridge) are reviewing well, as is Loving which goes into limited release that weekend.

That should add some more red to those top 5 tomato meters.

Madea with the "We like hot garbage" money. One of the reason we will not have a black movie without it needing to a hood movie, slave movie, music movie, dance movie. black men dressed as a female movie and black biopic movie.

Madea the shitter Ms.Doubtfire.

Schlorgan

I'm disappointed in everyone for Madea getting number one this weekend.

I'm more disappointed with how much Suicide Squad made compared to how little Star Trek and Kubo made. I can't get upset about Madea at this point.

Madea won't even be #1 WW this weekend anyway: Reacher's WW has already doubled it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
There's been plenty to watch.

You might have narrow tastes.
I haven't said I haven't seen movies, there has just been nothing buzzworthy. The best films happened earlier in the year (Deadpool, Zootopia). A bunch of mediocre blockbuster failures in the summer, and so far a bunch of mediocre Oscar movies in the fall. I'm pretty happy November is almost here, where hopefully good movies appear to becoming week after week after until the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom