• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•21-23•16 - Jack can't reach Madea @ BOO!x office, Joneses can't keep up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I'm more disappointed with how much Suicide Squad made compared to how little Star Trek and Kubo made. I can't get upset about Madea at this point.

Madea won't even be #1 WW this weekend anyway: Reacher's WW has already doubled it.

Madea was third after Jack Reacher and Inferno worldwide.

Madea with the "We like hot garbage" money. One of the reason we will not have a black movie without it needing to a hood movie, slave movie, music movie, dance movie. black men dressed as a female movie and black biopic movie.

Madea the shitter Ms.Doubtfire.

That self loathing.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Jack Reacher making less than $6M in China given Cruise's promotional tour in the country is odd - Lionsgate keeps winning in China.

Madea debuting to number 1 makes me proud, seeing the film on Tuesday :)

ItIsOkBro

Madea?!

giphy.gif

That self loathing.

Nothing to do with self loathing Lightskin, it just gets repetitive. Some variety would be nice. Is all i'm asking and having "stereotypical" movies creative does not make.

More so if black actors aren't getting roles outside these types of movies even in the black film industry. Were on the other hand are counter parts in Mexican/Latino film industry and their directors are doing more to expand their horizon that's for sure.

Nothing to do with self loathing Mr. Lightskin, it just gets repetitive. Some variety would be nice. Is all i'm asking and having "stereotypical" movies creative does not make.

Most so if black actors aren't getting roles outside these type of roles even in the black film industry. The mexican film industry and directors are doing more to expand their horizon that's for sure.

You ask for variety but those were a whole lot of different genres though. LOL And then you label them all under the catch all "stereotypical" with no mention of the quality of each individual work. Plus you're not even accounting how invaluable those films are to Black directors and Black actors in cultivating and maintaining their careers financially, building their visibility and fan bases, as well as showcasing their box office power within the domestic market and leveraging that for better opportunities within Hollywood's elite white industry.

What does the Mexican/Lation industry have to do with anything?

Nothing to do with self loathing Lightskin, it just gets repetitive. Some variety would be nice. Is all i'm asking and having "stereotypical" movies creative does not make.

More so if black actors aren't getting roles outside these types of movies even in the black film industry. Were on the other hand are counter parts in Mexican/Latino film industry and their directors are doing more to expand their horizon that's for sure.

What do you mean types of movies ? Tyler Perry has made almost all types of genres , he casts black actors in all types of roles . If he would show his films in more countries other than america he would probably be even bigger.

You only focus on certain movies hes made. Why did I get Married is far from stereotypical or The Family that Preys

What do you mean types of movies ? Tyler Perry has made almost all types of genres , he casts black actors in all types of roles . If he would show his films in more countries other than america he would probably be even bigger.

You only focus on certain movies hes made.
That's what I was thinking. He's made a decent amount of movies that don't fit into those categories that were listed .. or are we throwing out black romantic dramas too cuz why not.

You ask for variety but those were a whole lot of different genres though. LOL And then you label them all under the catch all "stereotypical" with no mention of the quality of each individual work. Plus you're not even accounting how invaluable those films are to Black directors and Black actors in cultivating and maintaining their careers financially, building their visibility and fan bases, as well as showcasing their box office power within the domestic market and leveraging that for better opportunities within Hollywood's elite white industry.

What does the Mexican/Lation industry have to do with anything?

It's called compare and contrast.

Also go through his imdb and tell me about this variety?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1347153/#director

Tell me the quality of each of those works? because Steve Mcqueen and Ryan Coogler are the only real break outs.

Also you can't be serious with The Family that Preys and Why Did I Get Married? those are exactly the movies i'm talking about. These are just big crowed films that are a dime a dozen. Were is the funding for the thriller, scfi, the physiological...etc

I mean were not even talking high brown shit here. He just makes ho hum movies, then he knows will make money. Because he knows what black folks cater towards on a consistent basis. More so because the movie industry's uncanny ability to over look black actors and the like for leading roles. An it's not like black media pumps out master pieces either. For every Fruit vale Station and or Ten years of Slave, or Jack Robinson bio-pic. You then got your flux family movie, Medea goes to a cook out or crappy horror movie with Idris elba.

It's called compare and contrast.

Also go through his imdb and tell me about this variety?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1347153/#director

Tell me the quality of each of those works? because Steve Mcqueen and Ryan Coogler are the only real break outs.

Bruh, you made a critique of Black films in general which I took issue with. Yknow when you made this statement:
Madea with the "We like hot garbage" money. One of the reason we will not have a black movie without it needing to a hood movie, slave movie, music movie, dance movie. black men dressed as a female movie and black biopic movie.

I also think you're very unfamiliar with Black directors and are arguing from ignorance.

Also you can't be serious with The Family that Preys and Why Did I Get Married? those are exactly the movies i'm talking about. These are just big crowed films that are a dime a dozen. Were is the funding for the thriller, scfi, the physiological...etc

Plus what's wrong with Tyler Perry making those moves? He's only one director.

So you're upset that these director's don't make the specific genres you like?

I mean were not even talking high brown shit here. He just makes ho hum movies, then he knows will make money. Because he knows what black folks cater towards on a consistent basis. More so because the movie industry's uncanny ability to over look black actors and the like for leading roles. An it's not like black media pumps out master pieces either. For every Fruit vale Station and or Ten years of Slave, or Jack Robinson bio-pic. You then got your flux family movie, Medea goes to a cook out or crappy horror movie with Idris elba.

You realize there's more films than that though and that's not even accounting for the 1 to 2 big budget Black male lead Will Smith and Denzel Washington films you get almost every year.

Bitches stay mad when TP wins because it slowly dismantles the illusions and lies that Hollywood constructed - that no one wants to see black actors and black movies won't make money. If people are willing to go see Tyler Perry in a fat suit consistently for over a decade, just imagine what elevated material with the same time and money (or more) could accomplish.

I'm not going to get mad at this man for building an empire right under Hollywood's noses. Seriously, who the fuck else has roles for Cicely Tyson? Shonda Rhimes? Hollywood would rather pretend she doesn't exist. I'm supposed to be mad that he's giving black actors paychecks for what?

Bitches stay mad when TP wins because it slowly dismantles the illusions and lies that Hollywood constructed - that no one wants to see black actors and black movies won't make money. If people are willing to go see Tyler Perry in a fat suit consistently for over a decade, just imagine what elevated material with the same time and money (or more) could accomplish.

I'm not going to get mad at this man for building an empire right under Hollywood's noses. Seriously, who the fuck else has roles for Cicely Tyson? Shonda Rhimes? Hollywood would rather pretend she doesn't exist. I'm supposed to be mad that he's giving black actors paychecks for what?

Exactly, not to mention Taraji P. Henson talked about how she was promised “somewhere in the mid six figures” for her role as Benjamin Button’s adoptive mother, Queenie and yet the producers low-balled her with the highest the studio was willing to go was in “the lowest of six figures.” and she'd have to agree to pay her own location fees while filming in New Orleans, meaning three months of hotel expenses would be coming directly out of her pocket.

Taraji says “There are way more talented black actresses than there are intelligent, meaningful roles for them,” Henson explains in the memoir. “And we’re consistently charged with diving for the crumbs of the scraps, lest we starve.”

“This is exactly how a studio can get away with paying the person who’s name is third on the call sheet of a big-budget film less than 2 percent what it’s paying the person whose name is listed first. I knew the stakes: no matter how talented, no matter how many accolades my prior work had received, if I pushed for more money, I’d be replaced and no one would so much as a blink.”

More importantly, "It was because of [Tyler Perry] — not an Oscar nomination — that I never had to take another movie project at the rock bottom of six figures.”

Ivan 3414

Really. Framing every person who hates Tyler Perry as bitches who want black movies to fail. That's your analysis. Really?

I'm all for black actors getting work but I'd prefer them to get those checks with out the shucking and jiving characters and insulting, contrived plots Perry consistently brings us. It really bothered me about ten years ago when all we had was Tyler Perry's garbage, but now that there's quite a bit of great black televison and movies, I can only hope for a future with a phased-out Tyler Perry.

In short, fuck Tyler Perry.

Really. Framing every person who hates Tyler Perry as bitches who want black movies to fail. That's your analysis. Really?

I'm all for black actors getting work but I'd prefer them to get those checks with out the shucking and jiving characters and insulting, contrived plots Perry consistently brings us. It really bothered me about ten years ago when all we had was Tyler Perry's garbage, but now that there's quite a bit of great black televison and movies, I can only hope for a future of phase-out Tyler Perry.

Show me a year 10 years ago where all we had was Tyler Perry films and I'll show you how wrong you are. It's this type of hyperbole that gets on my nerves.

It's amazing how I've never watched a Tyler Perry film but yet have been deeply entrenched in Black media (TV, Film, and Music) for over 30 years.

kswiston

Would all of this Tyler Perry hate be happening if he didn't show up as making over $100M one year on a Forbes list of top paid entertainment people?

Even if his films are bad, it's not like he is alone in that department. We're also not talking about films that make BvS money while being mediocre (at the expense of other films released around the same time). They're well budgeted films that sell to a modest but dedicated audience.

he's not great. and i'm glad we have people like Steve McQueen and the Moonlight director to show that there is also a spot for real quality drama films by black filmmakers once again. but still...hate on a black man making money and job opportunities for other black actors brehs. you guys should just chill out and embrace the wave...

tumblr_oasbv5RJ9y1rqg6w8o2_500.gif

Yea okay, but that wasn't me saying that saying that there aren't quality stuff out there...

It's just part of the reason I push back on people feeling like I'm obligated to watch black movies/shows, regardless of quality, though this tends to mainly refer to things I consider to be mediocre. (Not everyone goes through this perhaps, but I'm focusing on just my experiences) This would be Madea films in this case. But at the same time, I may not always be immediately hip to all the quality black shows/films out there, or have the time to watch it as soon as possible. (I do genuinely try to be though) So yea, I don't enjoy your implication that I should have seen these movies already, or that I need to have seen them before I'm allowed to come for Madea movies lol

I should be able to say that I gravitate towards said shows with quality, and rip on Madea a little. Never said anything close to saying that they shouldn't exist period or that I'm greatly annoyed by its success or something, so I honestly don't even where the hostility is coming from to begin with, and why it's still continuing.

I've never seen a Madea film. No need to start. Never felt obligated either.

True equality is being able to make mediocre or bad black films, just like every Adam Sandler film in the last decade. Or Keeping Up With The Joneses, to use a current box office film with a lower Metascore.

You do you, sir.

I'm all for black actors getting work but I'd prefer them to get those checks with out the shucking and jiving characters and insulting, contrived plots Perry consistently brings us. It really bothered me about ten years ago when all we had was Tyler Perry's garbage, but now that there's quite a bit of great black televison and movies, I can only hope for a future with a phased-out Tyler Perry.

Black folk have to offer 100 percent all the time? There's no room for throwaway black entertainment?

Hurm.

LotusHD

Banned
I've never seen a Madea film. No need to start. Never felt obligated either.

True equality is being able to make mediocre or bad black films, just like every Adam Sandler film in the last decade. Or Keeping Up With The Joneses, to use a current box office film with a lower Metascore.

You do you, sir.

Yea, I already covered this in a previous post:

That being said, I'm not saying there's no room for "bad" black shows/movies. I'm just reminiscing of the times when I've had people expect me to watch/love shows/movies regardless of the quality, just because I'm black.

Well that's no longer the case, is it? We are stars, writers, and directors. Even Perry himself finds better roles in Hollywood. So why the hand-wringing?

This is no different from Sandler, Galifanakis, our any other bog standard comedian.

Bruh, you made a critique of Black films in general which I took issue with. Yknow when you made this statement:

What i'm going off, is the output. I see all to regularly and that's it. Show me otherwise and then i will condensed. In my opinion we need to expand beyond the black experience from time to time. More so because i don't like Hollywood having more and movie of a reason to pigeon hold upcoming black directors into a box or certain genres. More so since it's not like Tyler Perry is the champion of going beyond Medea and flux family tv show material or soap. Too make matters worse his output is not even good. Comparative to Shonda Rhimes on that note.

It has zero to do with my taste. Those were just examples, examples that barely get touched. We should be far beyond the norm with the platforms we have.

Exactly, not to mention Taraji P. Henson talked about how she was promised “somewhere in the mid six figures” for her role as Benjamin Button’s adoptive mother, Queenie and yet the producers low-balled her with the highest the studio was willing to go was in “the lowest of six figures.” and she'd have to agree to pay her own location fees while filming in New Orleans, meaning three months of hotel expenses would be coming directly out of her pocket.

Taraji says “There are way more talented black actresses than there are intelligent, meaningful roles for them,” Henson explains in the memoir. “And we’re consistently charged with diving for the crumbs of the scraps, lest we starve.”

“This is exactly how a studio can get away with paying the person who’s name is third on the call sheet of a big-budget film less than 2 percent what it’s paying the person whose name is listed first. I knew the stakes: no matter how talented, no matter how many accolades my prior work had received, if I pushed for more money, I’d be replaced and no one would so much as a blink.”
Was she actually a big deal before she was lead on Person of Interest and got the Oscar for Benjamin Button? I know Empire turned her into a superstar.

That being said, I'm not saying there's no room for "bad" black shows/movies. I'm just reminiscing of the times when I've had people expect me to watch/love shows/movies regardless of the quality, just because I'm black.

Exactly my point. All the type of movies, I pointed out are the "stereotypical" movies other folks expect me to like or love because they have black folks in them not because of the material it self or the merit of the plot structure.

Mrbob

The real lead has been buried. Look at that China boost for Mechanic Resurrection. 24 million in China for the weekend. Guess they love Statham(as they should).

Who would have thought Tyler Perry in drag would end the post-summer BO thread bore. Almost on page 4 and it's still Saturday!

Edit: clocks have brought it to my attention that it is in fact Sunday.

What i'm going off, is the output. I see all to regularly and that's it. Show me otherwise and then i will condensed. In my opinion we need to expand beyond the black experience from time to time. More so because i don't like Hollywood having more and movie of a reason to pigeon hold upcoming black directors into a box or certain genres. More so since it's not like Tyler Perry is the champion of going beyond Medea and flux family tv show material or soap. Too make matters worse his output is not even good. Comparative to Shonda Rhimes on that note.

It has zero to do with my taste. Those were just examples, examples that barely get touched. We should be far beyond the norm with the platforms we have.

What's wrong with making movies about the Black experience? If they don't make it, who will? If you're not interested, that's OK there are hundreds to thousand other films to watch. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see more Black films tackle sci fi, fantasy, horror, etc... but I feel like I don't have to shit on the other type of films for it to happen. I personally don't understand why a Black Horror genre really hasn't been tried enough given the low budget/low risk nature of the genre. We have Jordan Peele's "Get Out" that comes out next year that perhaps could start a trend. We also have Ava Duvernay's big budget fantasy film adaptation of "A Wrinkle in Time" that stars an interracial couple and their kids and have cast Chris Pine, Gugu Mbatha Raw, Oprah Winfrey, Mindy Kaling, and Reese Witherspoon.

Exactly my point. All the type of movies, I pointed out are the "stereotypical" movies other folks expect me to like or love because they have black folks in them not because of the material it self or the merit of the plot structure.

I don't understand this critique. Who's expecting you to like these films? Like whatever you want to like.

Moonlight is right there. Go make it a hit.

kswiston

Very true. I'm just saying that, in a year of bombs, Reacher definitely doesn't apply.

Yeah. I don't see how Jack Reacher misses $150M worldwide on that $60M production budget. Even if it doesn't hit the same numbers as the first film, that is well outside of the range of bombing.

I don't know if they will bother making a third film though.

What's wrong with making movies about the Black experience? If they don't make it, who will? If you're not interested, that's OK there are hundreds to thousand other films to watch. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see more Black films tackle sci fi, fantasy, horror, etc... but I feel like I don't have to shit on the other type of films for it to happen. I personally don't understand why a Black Horror genre really hasn't been tried enough given the low budget/low risk nature of the genre. We have Jordan Peele's "Get Out" that comes out next year that perhaps could start a trend. We also have Ava Duvernay's big budget fantasy film adaptation of "A Wrinkle in Time" that stars an interracial couple and their kids and have cast Chris Pine, Gugu Mbatha Raw, Oprah Winfrey, Mindy Kaling, and Reese Witherspoon.

I don't understand this critique. Who's expecting you to like these films? Like whatever you want to like

You have no idea, then. ;p

But of course that's my mindset to ignore that bullshit but it still happens, it's just a perspective in the community. If you don't like a certain something black related, then you aren't whatever enough.

We also have Ava Duvernay's big budget fantasy film adaptation of "A Wrinkle in Time" that stars an interracial couple and their kids and have cast Chris Pine, Gugu Mbatha Raw, Oprah Winfrey, Mindy Kaling, and Reese Witherspoon.

Also awesome that Ava is getting a chance to do that. But after that civil war movie with Matthew Mc, with the same black actress (of course that's not to say the movie was bad because of it). Is that interracial couple stuff going to fly with the general public? Since i already know about how certain proportions of the movie going experience feel about BM/WW potential happening ala the new Star wars sequels. Even the nerds of that camp are bothered by it or at least it seems that way.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yeah. I don't see how Jack Reacher misses $150M worldwide on that $60M production budget. Even if it doesn't hit the same numbers as the first film, that is well outside of the range of bombing.

I don't know if they will bother making a third film though.

I don't know if it'll reach $150M given the upcoming releases honestly, it's going to be really close.

The sequel to Jack Reacher was greenlight because of it's strong performance on home media (VOD, DVD, Blu-Ray, Rental) - I doubt this one achieves the same success, given that, the potential for a third film is nil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom