• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

LjHNawU.jpg

Ithil

Someone needs to make a gif imposing Edmuod's face over Moe's in that Simpsons scene where Moe watches Homer getting pummeled by Dredrick Tatum from the sidelines, tries to shout some encouragement and then glances at the timer to see only three seconds have passed in the ring.

Ok Ronda, just remember all the standup Edmond taught you and you'll wi-

1102350.gif

IC5

I don't get what she was trying to do in that fight. Was she planning on eating up all the hits to then grapple her or something?
I'm pretty sure that first serious hit compromised her ability to process. She stayed up, but you can see it when you watch it back. That hit was no joke for her. The next hit, Rogan even said that she's in trouble, as Nunez was setting it up.

I think we saw Rhonda flailing and eating hits, because she was essentially knocked out, maybe by that first hit. Certainly the one near the fence, when Rogan says she is in trouble. Nunez is no joke. She was hanging with Miesha's grappling. and Miesha even said right away, she wasn't prepared for those strikes. Which compromised her ability to focus and grapple.

Oersted

Oof. So, can ol girl come back from this? She only has two losses on her record, but they're back to back main event losses.

Can she go back, fight some undercards, and get back into the main event? She'd still have the draw, I would think. I just don't know if her "fighting spirit" is still there. She looked broken when they were announcing Nunes as the winner.

As long as she is with her coach, she will get continously mauled. I'm by no means an expert, but even to me it was clear she had no plan whatsoever.

Remember when people thought Rousey could beat Mayweather in a fight? Good times.

Original.

Breaks the heart ❤️ Hearing dude scream for her to move...

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/...king-out-as-she-gets-kod-in-48-seconds-video/

Goddamn, she got destroyed.

So what's the deal here? Has the female division become more competitive in recent years with lots of new blood or was she previously facing off against chump opponents?

Crazy how devastating her last two fights have been. She's looked almost amateurish in both compared to her opponent.

Goddamn, she got destroyed.

So what's the deal here? Has the female division become more competitive in recent years with lots of new blood or was she previously facing off against chump opponents?

Crazy how devastating her last two fights have been. She's looked almost amateurish in both compared to her opponent.

I don't really follow the sport but from what I understand it's the latter, she got famous by winning a series of really one-sided matches designed to make her look good.

So wait a minute, she got her ass kicked again? How was she supposed to be this incredibly dominant female MMA phenom when she's losing this badly to other fighters who, from all appearances, simply know how to stand and throw proper punches with an ability to follow them up with a few more?

She looks afraid to take any kind of hit at all. How disappointing. It's actually crazy embarrassing now that people were saying this woman had a chance against Mayweather of all people.

Fury451

Banned
So wait a minute, she got her ass kicked again? How was she supposed to be this incredibly dominant female MMA phenom when she's losing this badly to other fighters who, from all appearances, simply know how to stand and throw proper punches with an ability to follow them up with a few more?

She looks afraid to take any kind of hit at all. How disappointing.

Lots of thoughts depending on how much someone likes or dislikes her, but I tend to agree with the "the division is moving on and she isn't" thinking- there's just better all-around fighters now than when she began. Or she just an unfortunate loss that "shook her" beyond recovery.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't really follow the sport but from what I understand it's the latter, she got famous by winning a series of really one-sided matches designed to make her look good.

Nah, that's bullshit. Ronda ran through the division until she met two terrible matchups in a row. Cat Zigano outlasted Amanda's first round rush and beat the hell out of her after that, then Ronda tossed her out in 14 seconds. Alexis Davis also beat Nunes and lasted 16 seconds against Ronda. Sara McMann has Olympic medal wrestling credentials and did about as well against Ronda as Ronda did against Nunes. Meisha Tate wasn't great at anything but she was certainly among the best competition in the division every time they fought.

Against any brawler and most grapplers, Rousey was untouchable. Not many women fighting have the striking that Holm or Nunes do. She's probably done now but taking away Rousey's accomplishments isn't fair to her or the women who stopped her. The division is moving on but that has happened to every champion in the history of the UFC with the exception of GSP so far.

Ithil

That's some revisionist history based on her losses. The reality is she has her strengths and weaknesses, and a coach that has caused her to emphasize her weaknesses instead of improving on them. Once she went up against skilled strikers she tried to stand up with, she was doomed.

Kacho

Ronda benefited from being at the right place at the right time. She knew how to carry herself, had a marketable look and dominated a division in its infancy. As soon as the legit fighters rose through the ranks she got exposed in glorious fashion and whether you love her or hate her it was fun to watch. She'll now fade into irrelevancy and enjoy a nice life away from the spotlight.

If anything I hope ESPN does a 30/30 on Ronda. What a fascinating story.

Lokbob

Nah, that's bullshit. Ronda ran through the division until she met two terrible matchups in a row.

I dunno, Nunes is not a terrible matchup for Ronda. The striker usually has a bad time against a good grappler, which Ronda stopped doing for whatever reason.

hahahaha I remember this. Can someone do the dirty work and bring those posts for necessary shame.

Wall of shame posts are usually pretty petty and lame. I never go back and do call out's when I'm right.

I'll happily take L's when I'm wrong though. I was all in on blind Rousey hype back in the day. Don't regret it either, it was fun ass times to be caught up in.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I dunno, Nunes is not a terrible matchup for Ronda. The striker usually has a bad time against a good grappler, which Ronda stopped doing for whatever reason.

Nunes has a black belt in BJJ, she's not a strict striker. Ronda also (especially over the last handful of her fights) tends to close with sloppy strikes to get into the clinch and Nunes/Holm were able to keep her from doing that.

Ronda's best matchups are other grapplers and other poor strikers. She's better at judo and armbars than most people are at anything, and her punches are strong enough to work when the people she's punching aren't better at punching cleaner and faster.

Clearly her first loss shook up her confidence, and it seems ever since that loss she was undergoing a marketing campaign more designed to make it appear as if the means by which she lost the first go around, is no longer a weakness of hers. The idea was to send a message that should that previous fight that ended in a loss for her, happen again, there's no way she would have lost as this new and improved Ronda Rousey.

Problem with this strategy or campaign, is that it focused more on optics rather than taking real, concrete steps to maximize her chances of actually winning this fight. Ronda, whether through her training, or maybe some plan she had in mind herself, had to win in the way she wanted people to see her win, and not necessarily in the fashion that gave her the best chance to win. She can be brought back, but she needs a serious talking to, and she needs a training regimen that embarrasses and roughs her up as badly as the last two fights did in order for that to happen. She is no longer (or was she ever? I can't say) being trained like a true fighter; she's being trained like a celebrity or action movie star designed more to keep up appearances rather than to actually win and beat the best fighters in her discipline.

RK9039

Goldie not only added nothing, but he made every broadcast worse. I don't care at all that he didn't get a send-off.

I can't say I disagree. If it was Rogan leaving then fair enough, give him a send-off. But the other guy? all he was ever good for was going down the list of sponsors before every fight.

Oscar

It seems pretty mean of them to not even give him a 30 second send off when he was there for what, 17 years??
WME-IMG doesn't give a shit. They are running the show now and have no loyalty for employees.

This was matchmaker Joe Silva's last event too, zero fucks given.

Welcome to the WWE, Ronda. You can still dominate there.

People keep talking about her going to the WWE now. Like the WWE would want her after that embarrassment. It'd cost more to train her to work than any value they would get out of her in the end. Maybe after her lose to Holm that would have been an option, but now that she has been bodied in less than a minute? I don't think so.

I can't say I disagree. If it was Rogan leaving then fair enough, give him a send-off. But the other guy? all he was ever good for was going down the list of sponsors before every fight.

I don't have a problem with goldberg yeah he promotes sponsors alot because thats one of his main job, roegan is the main commentator so you never really see him promoting the sponsors. The next guy they bring in is going to do the same because someone on the commentating has to do it. Everyone is gonna be butthurt with the next guy for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom