• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "Starfield is exclusive to Xbox and PC. Period."

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You don't have to. You're simply getting defensive when I just pointed out that Xbox fans have been known to do the same thing.
You said Xbox fans hated Yakuza before it came to Game Pass and now projecting your own clique as "Xbox fans" when I asked for clarification.
I remember Hellblade was called a walking simulator just like TLOU and now the game is praised ever since it was released on Xbox. The Xbox fanboys on Twitter are always doing stuff like this, more than any other fan base. lol
I wonder where these "Xbox fans" you cry so much about are.

This thread is PS related since it deals with a game that's not coming on the PS platform which was once speculated on.

It's obvious.
Yeah, its a great thread to validate your insecurities. That is obvious.

S0ULZB0URNE

Don't be delusional. Microsoft now owns both the publishing and development rights to Starfield and anything else under the Bethesda umbrella. You won't see Starfield on the PS platform.
I quoted a post about MLB.....

xtGLwsK.gif

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You said Xbox fans hated Yakuza before it came to Game Pass and now projecting your own clique as "Xbox fans" when I asked for clarification.

I wonder where these "Xbox fans" you cry so much about are.

Yeah, its a great thread to validate your insecurities. That is obvious.

You're still getting defensive. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm not the only one who has recognized this, you're projecting your insecurities because you don't like anyone talking about Xbox fanboy's behavior. I never denied PlayStation fanboys behavior, but you're the one who is afraid to admit that Xbox fanboys have done these things over the years.

Stop being in denial.

kungfuian

If ZeniMax and it's studios will no longer be producing games on PlayStation, which I'm sure is the case, I wonder how this played into their valuation prior to purchase? For example, like what percentage of Bethesda's sales historically came from PlayStation? If you plan on taking all of those sales away it would have to have been a significant consideration in their valuation/sales price.

Then you add in the GamePass effect, with X-box software sales also significantly reduced (in exchange for subs of course), and that's a massive decrease in software sales for Bethesda (and the other studios). They have to be forecasting a huge decrease in software sales as their value going forward will be almost 100% as a driver for subscriptions instead. Too bad we will never see these numbers because it would be interesting to know how much of a difference in total revenue/profits year on year.

Buying ZeniMax was an investment in the future for sure, but I'd bet Microsoft wont be seeing a return on that investment for quite some time.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? He’s saying that unless you have a SX quality PC you’ll be missing out on playing the game on that quality.
He never said anything about playing at Series X quality, that's just something you made up. The poster before him was talking about hardcore Bathesda fans simply playing the game on PC because that's where modders can fix any bugs that come up with the game and he went on about needing an RTX 2080 to play it. I was correcting him that you won't need that to play it at all on PC. I'm not sure where you came up with "Series X quality PC" when graphics quality wasn't even mentioned in the original post he was referring to.

Last edited:
I remember Hellblade was called a walking simulator just like TLOU and now the game is praised ever since it was released on Xbox. The Xbox fanboys on Twitter are always doing stuff like this, more than any other fan base. lol

Sources? I'm almost positive you either are too biased to notice it or it's just confirmation bias of an opinion you have. I would be shocked if there was any noticeable difference in the proportional amount of idiot fanboys for any of Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo, and if anything it would lean towards more on Playstation given it's the more popular console. Of course there are tons of idiot fanboys for each system, I'm not pretending that there are no idiot fanboys on Xbox, there most certainly are, but this notion that Xbox has the "worse" fanboys or other arguments is just plain biased nonsense. It's like when people pretend fans of certain sports teams are worse, it's just tribalism to justify to themselves that "I'm a fan of the superior console". It's a vast generalization of millions of people that the only thing in common between them is that they like a specific video game console

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No, I'm not you.

Anyone who can on Twitter or browse these forums and realize that the Xbox fanboys act differently than the majority of most casual xbox consumers.

You're going to deny that Xbox fans on Twitter didn't trash games prior to Xbox acquiring them on their platform?

Before

Now

Is he a poster here lol? This is so typical of them. I remember when old Bethesda games were announced on GP there were so many cumshots flying around. Most of them were free giveaways on PS+, PSNow, Gold and Epic store for years. You could buy them outright for pennies or in bundles and yet they were all acting like they were Day 1 releases FINALLY I CAN PLAY MORROWIND!!

It's all fake hype.

Because a trillion dollar company isn't a charity. If they invest Billions they want to see their invested recouped back with profits on top. Obviously they need some time, don't need to get it back in two weeks, they won't be throwing Billions forever to the garbage bin for nothing. It wouldn't make them go bankrupt, but may make them shut down/sell their gaming team.

In fact being a trillion company adds them more pressure to achieve insane revenues and to achieve some nice profit what they lost in the past some day without needing to hide their numbers even merging the game division with other products.

Phil Spencer already said they don't care about cash but engagement. Which probably means gamepass subscribers and recurring subscription.

Best way to achieve that would be to keep games exclusive to platforms with gamepass.

Also being owner of a huge subscription service like gamepass increases their value as a company by a lot. $7.5 billion could be considered as investment towards that.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Phil Spencer already said they don't care about cash but engagement. Which probably means gamepass subscribers and recurring subscription.

Best way to achieve that would be to keep games exclusive to platforms with gamepass.

Also being owner of a huge subscription service like gamepass increases their value as a company by a lot. $7.5 billion could be considered as investment towards that.
Of course Microsoft didn't buy a publisher whose owners weren't making enough money and wanted to sell badly to continue the same business model. That is what cracks me up about the games can't be exclusive crew lol. Even when they weren't it didn't make money and Microsoft knew this so they bought them for another reason to help grow gamepass subscribers. This is a long play.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sources? I'm almost positive you either are too biased to notice it or it's just confirmation bias of an opinion you have. I would be shocked if there was any noticeable difference in the proportional amount of idiot fanboys for any of Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo, and if anything it would lean towards more on Playstation given it's the more popular console. Of course there are tons of idiot fanboys for each system, I'm not pretending that there are no idiot fanboys on Xbox, there most certainly are, but this notion that Xbox has the "worse" fanboys or other arguments is just plain biased nonsense. It's like when people pretend fans of certain sports teams are worse, it's just tribalism to justify to themselves that "I'm a fan of the superior console". It's a vast generalization of millions of people that the only thing in common between them is that they like a specific video game console
Tell me, what PlayStation fans have the same audience and following as Colteastwood, Dealer_Gaming and TimDog?

There's no generalization. More times than not, if there's misinformation spread throughout twitter, it's coming from Xbox fanboys on Twitter. Not only do you have a lot of Xbox fanboys on Twitter, you also have people within Microsoft retweeting and promoting their videos across social media.

These guys didn't build an audience just because they're Xbox gamers, they have made a lot of videos targeting PlayStation for nearly the entire generation.

You have some PlayStation fanboys with an audience on Twitter and Youtube, but they're not nearly as big as the ones you find within the Xbox community.

Resident Evil Village parity rumors was circulated by Xbox fanboys, the same with the overheating rumors and RDNA 1, RDNA 1.5 nonsense. What makes this even funnier is that many of the false information gets posted here right after it gets shared within the Xbox community BY the Xbox fanboys on this forum. The Xbox twitter accounts they post are from known Xbox fanboys, this doesn't happen nearly with other communities.

Anyone who thinks it's equal is in total denial. lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Is he a poster here lol? This is so typical of them. I remember when old Bethesda games were announced on GP there were so many cumshots flying around. Most of them were free giveaways on PS+, PSNow, Gold and Epic store for years. You could buy them outright for pennies or in bundles and yet they were all acting like they were Day 1 releases FINALLY I CAN PLAY MORROWIND!!

It's all fake hype.
I don't think he ever posted on this forum. He's just on Twiter a lot and shows up on some podcasts.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Tell me, what PlayStation fans have the same audience and following as Colteastwood, Dealer_Gaming and TimDog?

There's no generalization. More times than not, if there's misinformation spread throughout twitter, it's coming from Xbox fanboys on Twitter. Not only do you have a lot of Xbox fanboys on Twitter, you also have people within Microsoft retweeting and promoting their videos across social media.

These guys didn't build an audience just because they're Xbox gamers, they have made a lot of videos targeting PlayStation for nearly the entire generation.

You have some PlayStation fanboys with an audience on Twitter and Youtube, but they're not nearly as big as the ones you find within the Xbox community.

Resident Evil Village parity rumors was circulated by Xbox fanboys, the same with the overheating rumors and RDNA 1, RDNA 1.5 nonsense. What makes this even funnier is that many of the false information gets posted here right after it gets shared within the Xbox community BY the Xbox fanboys on this forum. The Xbox twitter accounts they post are from known Xbox fanboys, this doesn't happen nearly with other communities.

In other words these xboxers are king of fud and astroturfing😄

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You're still getting defensive. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm not the only one who has recognized this, you're projecting your insecurities because you don't like anyone talking about Xbox fanboy's behavior. I never denied PlayStation fanboys behavior, but you're the one who is afraid to admit that Xbox fanboys have done these things over the years.

Stop being in denial.
That has to be the most defensive post ironically talking about others being defensive. So after crying so much about "Xbox fanboys" you are now crying about why I don't validate them.
True. Tell me what Xbox fanboy cries so much about other fanboys? You have to really be in total denial to think they are equal.
In other words these xboxers are king of fud and astroturfing😄
Says the clique that astroturfs Xbox threads to project themselves and complain about "Xboxers".

odhiex

This is good for Microsoft side, TBH. I want every console have success in their own ways.

Sure, If you only play games on PlayStation, this might be a disappointing news. For multi-system owners, you would be pleased with this. Exclusive games mean more games for you.

luffie

This statement rides alot in Starfield not being good, but fantastic as in Bloodborne fantastic.

The moment it flops, PS fanboys are going to laugh at him all the way to the moon.

They will laugh at him, laugh at Xbox, and the Bethesda IP.

Pull n Pray

Banned
If ZeniMax and it's studios will no longer be producing games on PlayStation, which I'm sure is the case, I wonder how this played into their valuation prior to purchase? For example, like what percentage of Bethesda's sales historically came from PlayStation? If you plan on taking all of those sales away it would have to have been a significant consideration in their valuation/sales price.

Then you add in the GamePass effect, with X-box software sales also significantly reduced (in exchange for subs of course), and that's a massive decrease in software sales for Bethesda (and the other studios). They have to be forecasting a huge decrease in software sales as their value going forward will be almost 100% as a driver for subscriptions instead. Too bad we will never see these numbers because it would be interesting to know how much of a difference in total revenue/profits year on year.

Buying ZeniMax was an investment in the future for sure, but I'd bet Microsoft wont be seeing a return on that investment for quite some time.
I'm sure Game Pass does reduce the sales of many of the games that are in the service, but it also increases the sales of lesser known games. I can think of 5 games thought I've purchased that I never would have played if they hadn't been in Game Pass. And every dollar I've spent in the Xbox ecosystem for games, DLC, or micro-transactions is ultimately attributable to Game Pass because Game Pass is the reason I purchased an Xbox back in 2019. Assessing the true profitability of Game Pass would be very difficult even for someone who does have access to Microsoft's books.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That has to be the most defensive post ironically talking about others being defensive. So after crying so much about "Xbox fanboys" you are now crying about why I don't validate them.

True. Tell me what Xbox fanboy cries so much about other fanboys? You have to really be in total denial to think they are equal.

Says the clique that astroturfs Xbox threads to project themselves and complain about "Xboxers".

You're still going.

I'm sure you hangout with some of these guys on Twitter. Somehow posting a tweet from someone means they every Xbox fanboy always wanted Yakuza, but if I show someone trashing any game and then liking it as soon as it hits Xbox for either the first time exclusively, you ignore it.

You're crying right now because I'm pointing out the obvious and you're trying to deny it.

Wait, I just remembered. You were spreading FUD from twitter before from known Xbox fanboys. From a fake developer to another so called ex-Sony dev the Xbox twitter community loves because he was trashing Sony. :messenger_grinning_sweat: You're getting defensive because the community is your friends and you're well aware of their behavior. And somehow you were not part of the discord Xbox chat from Restera with other FUD spreaders, even though they had the same avatar and went by the same name as yours.

As I said before, you're friends with these guys and that's why you're getting defensive. Don't need to waste my time after you keep dodging every single piece of evidence thrown your way.

Pull n Pray

Banned
This statement rides alot in Starfield not being good, but fantastic as in Bloodborne fantastic.

The moment it flops, PS fanboys are going to laugh at him all the way to the moon.

They will laugh at him, laugh at Xbox, and the Bethesda IP.
Which statement are you referring to?

Fredrik

No, Gamepass is on both Xbox and PC, Xbox exclusives don't exist because that's leaving the PC money on the table. Microsoft have got much bigger plans than just competing with Sony and Nintendo.
They have big plans but I think they need to take control of the sales talks and start showing their figures if they want to be in the conversation about their growth and success. Combined PC (Steam+MS Store) and Xbox (retail+digital) sales and also Gamepass installs or something like that. I haven’t bought a MS exclusive on Xbox in like 4 years, but I’ve played them all either on PC or Xbox - How do you present that in a good way if everybody is still looking at NPD sales lists to judge how successful you are?

kungfuian

I'm sure Game Pass does reduce the sales of many of the games that are in the service, but it also increases the sales of lesser known games. I can think of 5 games thought I've purchased that I never would have played if they hadn't been in Game Pass. And every dollar I've spent in the Xbox ecosystem for games, DLC, or micro-transactions is ultimately attributable to Game Pass because Game Pass is the reason I purchased an Xbox back in 2019. Assessing the true profitability of Game Pass would be very difficult even for someone who does have access to Microsoft's books.

True, the loss of traditional sales might be partially offset by increased subs, small game sales, DLC, etc. But I can't imagine those numbers will be in Microsoft's favor for some time. Certainly not at 20 or 30 million subs. They are very much running a loss leader strategy here.

And I disagree with the assertation that it's difficult to assess the true profitability of Game Pass; Not that we will ever get those numbers. Bethesda's total revenue and profits can easily be compared year over year to establish changes. And the impact of the introduction of big Bethesda games on Game Pass are also measurable based on changes in total engagement, revenue, profit, spikes in new subs, total spend per subscriber, etc. Microsoft are well aware of these numbers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
DForce DForce just spam trolling his wild what-about-isms in the great console war (that he made up in his head)

Some guy asks why the sudden negativity towards Bathesda (without even name dropping Sony, PlayStation or Xbox) and you see fit to start ranting about Yakuza, Xbox fanboys, Colt Eastwood, random Twitter posters... it makes the forum look like a joke I’m afraid, and the same 6 posters who are liking everyone of your posts are just showing themselves up.

Mod of War Mod of War ?

reksveks

True, the loss of traditional sales might be partially offset by increased subs, small game sales, DLC, etc. But I can't imagine those numbers will be in Microsoft's favor for some time. Certainly not at 20 or 30 million subs. They are very much running a loss leader strategy here.

And I disagree with the assertation that it's difficult to assess the true profitability of Game Pass; Not that we will ever get those numbers. Bethesda's total revenue and profits can easily be compared year over year to establish changes. And the impact of the introduction of big Bethesda games on Game Pass are also measurable based on changes in total engagement, revenue, profit, spikes in new subs, total spend per subscriber, etc. Microsoft are well aware of these numbers.
I think you and Pull n Pray are on the same point that you effectively have to look at more than one metric and some of those metric are things that we (mostly others on the forum/twitter) think are only secondarily related to GamePass like DLC.

I see Gamepass as Amazon Prime, its about driving attention to the platform, which Microsoft hope to monetize 'later'

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This thread is delivering. i can almost feel the blood pressure rising from the sodium levels.
Yeah the point I was making was, the guy who tweeted this is wrong even if he’s right that only xbox and pc can play it. This was known. He tweeted the emphatic PERIOD. But bungled it because he phrased it incorrectly. The point stands no matter what because the tweet is wrong.

That’s 3 categories and still not exclusive and it cannot be exclusive to xbox AND pc.

yeah. That’s why nobody needs to buy an xbox console to play this game. It’s still not exclusive to xbox and pc because they aren’t the same. Tweet is still wrong.

Microsoft flight simulator is on pc. You cannot play it on xbox. It’s a pc exclusive right now. Today. it’s called Microsoft simulator. Microsoft also owns xbox. Why can’t it played on an xbox console? Because they aren’t the same.

I hope you’re prepared for Sony to have less and less exclusives going forward. Horizon and days gone are just the tip of the iceberg.

Games like last of us two cost like 200 million dollars to make, selling solely on PlayStation probably isn’t enough anymore, especially to investors who will be sat there thinking there’s another 2 to 4 million copies possible on pc too.

but to be honest with you. I couldn’t really care what’s called an exclusive, a console exclusive etc. It’s probs best to just think is this game not coming to a platform, then it’s available on...

horizon is available on ps and pc. gears is available on Xbox, pc and gamepass.

Its not that dramatic. Bethesda has been mostly pc only for around 20 years since its inception in the mid 80s all the way to oblivion. But after its been dipping its toes in consoles, it was for xbox mostly at the beginning. Skyrim sold most of its total copies on PC as well. They're gonna be wildly successful with PC alone with their releases. Xbox is just a bonus.

Garani

No, they're not.

Yes they are. I pay, I decided if they are good. ES and Fallout are not good. Of course that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy they: go ahead and use your money how best you wish, but I am not wasting mine: got burner way too many times.

I fucking HATED TLOU2's story but loved the controls/art directions/setting. And I PASSIONATELY hate the story, but I wouldn't tell anyone it's a bad game. Same for MGSV, I fucking HATED that awful, unfinished story, but I LOVED the amount of control you have over Snake and some of the infiltration missions are crazy fun, I could criticize the shit out of MGSV and TLOU2, but I still wouldn't call them bad games.

There is no such thing as an objectively good game or a bad game, gaming is a 100% subjective artform. There is no correct or incorrect opinions no matter how universally agreed/disagreed with the opinion is. So no, those games are not bad, you just think they are

And I have the right to think that they are bad games. This does not mean that you guys can't play and enjoy them. It just means that I won't be spending anymore money on Bethesda in the near future unless it's heavily discounted. In the end, their type of content, is just perfect for Gamepass.

Pull n Pray

Banned

None of those things are easy to do, which is why the people who run all those numbers are paid a lot of money. It wouldn't be something the average person could figure out. And even for the experts, there is guesswork involved. They don't know for a fact how many fewer people would own Xboxes if not for Game Pass.

Leyasu

Banned
They own the video game rights and if they didn't go multi-platform they would of lost the rights.
Microsoft aren't going to lose the rights to any of their new I.Ps though. Thinking about it, I shouldn't have quoted you.

Indian Jones could well be a multiplat though

Last edited:

Tommi84

Ok. This period you are talking about,is it half a year? One year?

I kid, I kid :D.

Now, Bethesda,show me some of this game!

Starfield

Jeff Grubb: "Starfield not releasing this year, 2022 isntead"

NeoGAF: I sleep

Jeff Grubb: "Starfield exclusive to Xbox and PC 100% confirmed"

NeoGAF: reaaal shiiit

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes they are. I pay, I decided if they are good. ES and Fallout are not good. Of course that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy they: go ahead and use your money how best you wish, but I am not wasting mine: got burner way too many times.

And I have the right to think that they are bad games. This does not mean that you guys can't play and enjoy them. It just means that I won't be spending anymore money on Bethesda in the near future unless it's heavily discounted. In the end, their type of content, is just perfect for Gamepass.
ok certainly you can have your opinion but i don't think your opinion in the grand scheme is valuable. Bethesda games are considered generally masterpieces.
Some people out there think that naughty dog games are basically the same reskinned game from 15 years ago. Also that could be an opinion ... is valuable? no. like your

Last edited:

pasterpl

A useless purchase for MS. All these games and franchises were already coming to Xbox and PC. This is just jerk off material for xbox fans.

Starfield was developed from the ground up as a multiplatform title with zero input from MS and suddenly they call is a new MS IP lol

You can't erase history.
You mean like deathloop and ghostwire? Wasn’t there rumour flying around that Jim Ryan was trying to buy starfield exclusivity as well?

Top Bottom