• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "Starfield is exclusive to Xbox and PC. Period."

reinking

Gold Member
Microsoft has loftier goals than selling more consoles than Sony or Nintendo. They are positioning themselves for the future when everyone will be gaming via cloud.
What if that future does not happen?

Cloud gaming (while has seen more interest than years past) is still a long ways off for many people due to internet infrastructure and other factors. The only reason Game Pass/xCloud is seeing growth right now is it is attached to the physical downloads and consoles. Remove consoles and it is DOA. Same as Stadia and Luna. Don't get me wrong, I want to see it succeed but there is no guarantee that streaming will be the majority of future video gaming. Besides that, it wasn't that long ago that people that are pro xCloud were hating on PSNow because it was "streaming only " and no downloads.

MonarchJT

Banned

Cloud gaming (while has seen more interest than years past) is still a long ways off for many people due to internet infrastructure and other factors. The only reason Game Pass/xCloud is seeing growth right now is it is attached to the physical downloads and consoles. Remove consoles and it is DOA. Same as Stadia and Luna. Don't get me wrong, I want to see it succeed but there is no guarantee that streaming will be the majority of future video gaming. Besides that, it wasn't that long ago that people that are pro xCloud were hating on PSNow because it was "streaming only " and no downloads.
and that is exactly why they are not excluding downloads and above all they have the most powerful console on the market (by tech specs) on the market. Companies like Google, Ms, Apple have the privilege of being able to afford to try and retry secondary projects (such as the gaming division for Ms) practically until they succeed without their core business being altered. This can happen tomorrow or in 5 years for them it changes little at least until the division makes the whole company lose points , luckily for Xbox

Last edited:

Calverz

It's exclusive until barely anyone buys their game.

But judging by their recent games, I don't really care. Their company is declining. But they did do an amazing job scamming Microsoft out of 7 billion.
Salty GIF by memecandy

I rest my case. The only 94+ metacritic games you find mediocre are the ones without “Sony” on them.
The only games? Lol whatever you say. And you asked me about games not related directly to MS (and I fail to see what direct relationship Bethesda had with MS when all their previous games came out). So go ahead and "rest your case", if by case you mean your head that still spinning after falling on it by my rebuttal.

Derktron

Banned
It's exclusive until barely anyone buys their game.

But judging by their recent games, I don't really care. Their company is declining. But they did do an amazing job scamming Microsoft out of 7 billion.
Just say you are a pathetic stupid useless fanboy and get it over with. Scums like you piss me off. Don't worry your kingdom of PlayStation will fall soon, keep in mind that Nintendo is on top of Sony. Useless scum

reinking

Gold Member
and that is exactly why they are not excluding downloads and above all they have the most powerful console on the market (by tech specs) on the market. Companies like Google, Ms, Apple have the privilege of being able to afford to try and retry secondary projects (such as the gaming division for Ms) practically until they succeed without their core business being altered. This can happen tomorrow or in 5 years for them it changes little at least until the division makes the whole company lose points , luckily for Xbox
I agree with what you are saying. I was responding to is someone who said MS is focused on moving to the future of cloud gaming. I took their posts to mean consoles are not important to MS. My argument is they are very important because that is what is driving their cloud gaming initiative. Subtract the consoles and how much of xCloud subs go with it? We can't know for sure because we have no idea how many people are subbed to Game Pass Ultimate that do not have a console. My wild guess is we are still generations away from MS not needing a traditional console. Even on the best of networks there are still some issues but there are also way too many places that do not have the infrastructure to support it.

I know MS does not care about my opinion but focusing on Xbox and PC is a fantastic move. xCloud is still no guarantee and while many will argue the phone market I would not count on it. Not for $15 a month when the F2P market seems to be the biggest push for phone gaming.

Derktron

Banned
I can't' believe there are 14 pages of morons arguing over the fact that Microsoft was and I put in caps -- VERY CLEAR ON THEIR INTENTIONS OF BUYING BETHEDIA, WHO THE FUCK BUYS A COMPANY FOR 7 BILLION DOLLARS AND CONTINUE TO GIVE ASSETS TO THE COMPETITOR! How hard is that to understand the fucking concept. That is like Disney who bought Marvel, Star Wars, and now 21st Century Fox gives the assets that they now own to their competitors like Warner Bros., Paramount/Viacom. Let me tell you something that is starting to also piss me off, you ALL ASKED FOR MICROSOFT TO BE AGRESSIVE because of the lack of games in which they did have and still have because of lack of communication still with them but still, you all asked for this. This is what you guys get. A company worth billions playing it easy to just buy whatever the fuck they want. -- * drops mic * I'm out. Not coming back to this useless thread.

Greggy

The only games? Lol whatever you say. And you asked me about games not related directly to MS (and I fail to see what direct relationship Bethesda had with MS when all their previous games came out). So go ahead and "rest your case", if by case you mean your head that still spinning after falling on it by my rebuttal.
With rebuttals like “Read dead redemption is a mediocre game alongside Skyrim and Oblivion”, no need to worry for my head, it’s completely safe.

Just say you are a pathetic stupid useless fanboy and get it over with. Scums like you piss me off. Don't worry your kingdom of PlayStation will fall soon, keep in mind that Nintendo is on top of Sony. Useless scum

You're calling me a fanboy, yet you're getting offended by my little comment regarding Microsoft.

I honestly don't care if Nintendo, Microsoft or whatever sells more than Sony (I actually own a Switch in any case). I only care if the games are good or not. If Sony does eventually stop making consoles, I'll move on to the next gaming platform.

Derktron

Banned
You're calling me a fanboy, yet you're getting offended by my little comment regarding Microsoft.

I honestly don't care if Nintendo, Microsoft or whatever sells more than Sony (I actually own a Switch in any case). I only care if the games are good or not. If Sony does eventually stop making consoles, I'll move on to the next gaming platform.
No, I'm just calling you and the rest of the morons out, and yeah I'm not getting offended, I'm just calling you out. For being a pathetic scum of the gaming community that makes it toxic to be a part of. That is what you and the rest of morns are. Scums, downplaying everything Microsoft and Nintendo do. You are probably in your 30s acting like a child. You don't like it, ohh the fuck well, as long as I have a voice on this website and not banned for calling people out. Then I will continue to call you people out, it does not matter if you are Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and PC. If I see something stupid I will call you people out. See there's a difference between you and me, I'm not afraid to speak my mind when it comes to morns acting like pitiful children.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Wait, I just remembered. You were spreading FUD from twitter before from known Xbox fanboys. From a fake developer to another so called ex-Sony dev the Xbox twitter community loves because he was trashing Sony. :messenger_grinning_sweat: You're getting defensive because the community is your friends and you're well aware of their behavior.
"Fake". At a time when everyone was posting dev talks about the "power of SSD" I posted those tweets from Chris Grannel. What of it? Also I always told everyone that Louise Kirby is not a dev.
You're still going.

I'm sure you hangout with some of these guys on Twitter. Somehow posting a tweet from someone means they every Xbox fanboy always wanted Yakuza, but if I show someone trashing any game and then liking it as soon as it hits Xbox for either the first time exclusively, you ignore it.

You're crying right now because I'm pointing out the obvious and you're trying to deny it.
You seem to be terribly misunderstanding something so let me clear this for you. Here are the people I follow on twitter.
I don't post much or "hangout" with people on twitter. I use it to post Xbox related news on GAF. I also don't post anything from your twitter clique that you care so much care about(unless we are talking about the likes of the Chris Grannel interview). I think I posted something from Klobrille once during May-June last year but have hence stopped. Whenever I post any news in the Xbox OT/Xbox thread or make a new thread, I only post news from sources that have contact with Microsoft like Jez Corden, Tom Warren or Brad Sams. This is a rule that I follow.
And somehow you were not part of the discord Xbox chat from Restera with other FUD spreaders, even though they had the same avatar and went by the same name as yours.

As I said before, you're friends with these guys and that's why you're getting defensive. Don't need to waste my time after you keep dodging every single piece of evidence thrown your way.
Your clique is really pathetic isnt it? Before the Gavin Stevens thread where everyone of you conspired together to call me a Tommy Fisher alt and tried to get me perm banned, I had posted this.
I also posted this literally tagging the XboxEra admin.
Tell me one thing @Shpeshal Ed predicted and got it right. Last time I know they predicted Microsoft will buy Bungie and was shot down by a Bungie exec.
Same Avatar? I was in that discord for 10 days(upto January 10) and then they purged me and many other people. Back then anyone could join that discord by asking for invites in the comment section of their podcasts. Anyone can easily change their name and profile pic on discord. My profile pic in the so called discord drama created by your clique was something I only started used everywhere in late March. So all 60 images I posted are wrong but one fake screenshot all your clique conspired together to create to get mods to ban me from GAF is somehow right. And somehow that pic conveniently uses the same profile I had back than in GAF when you made the conspiracy. Really makes me laugh how much energy you guys spend to make conspiracies about me.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
holy cow!!! that's funny!!!
No, people need to be called out, plain and simple the toxic that happens because of the Sony fanboys who can't keep their dick down with every chance they get to do doggy style on anything that Microsoft and Nintendo do yet .................................. some of their precious games are coming to PC. So where's the irony at? Also damn I need a PS5 though. I need to play Rachet and Clank game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. MS acquired Bethesda for this purpose. However, if there is still a huge gap between PS and Xbox systems at the time it finally releases, I do think the smarter thing for MS to do would be to release Starfield on PS4/5 6 months at the full $60 price. I'd LOVE to see the numbers.

Last edited:

skit_data

I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. MS acquired Bethesda for this purpose. However, if there is still a huge gap between PS and Xbox systems at the time it finally releases, I do think the smarter thing for MS to do would be to release Starfield on PS4/5 6 months at the full $60 price. I'd LOVE to see the numbers.
If they choose to release it based only on the amount of PS5 and Series S/X systems in peoples homes they would effectively make the major point of the acquisition completely toothless

Even if hypothetically they decided to port it to PS5 later, there's no way it would be 6 months, the point of making Bethesda games exclusive is to get people into their ecosystem, if Sony fans know they can just wait 6 months or a year and still get all the good games what incentive is there for them to get an Xbox/play on PC/xCloud/subscribe to Game Pass? The "smart" thing is to keep it permanently exclusive to Xbox/PC/xCloud because 1. It helps people into their ecosystem/subscribe to Game Pass, 2. It doesn't actually exclude anybody, pretty much ever PS5 user has access to a device that can stream on xCloud, or a PC, and 3. It's the beginning of a new generation, the only Bethesda fans locked into PS5 are the ones who did that to themselves knowing that they almost certainly wouldn't be able to play Bethesda games, everybody else has a choice to make, and keeping those games exclusive is a point towards choosing Xbox for a lot of consumers

Woopah

Sounds like this E3 will have multiple games announced and then released later this year. Should be a very good show.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So starfield is multiplat too.

Console exclusives battle. PS and Nintendo owners have the option of playing x games on other devices day 1.

Yes, starfield will be available on xbox, PC and where gamepass is.

I hope its an amazing game and you enjoy it.

I must say I don't get where this strange "I'm a playstation fan and I can buy these xbox games day one while mine are only available on my console day 1" comments come from.

Is it some kind of win for you? Like honestly, it genuinely makes me laugh a little inside. Isnt it good that MS gives you the option to purchase their game or get it on gamepass?

Do You sit there laughing like hehe those pc guys are going to have to wait at least a year to play this while I paid 70 dollars for it day one hehe and I get to play these xbox games that I bought...hehe...

..meanwhile Microsoft laugh all the way to the bank.

If this is close to some kind of truth for you...then....I don't really have much to say but....Good on ya mate!

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Some of those games weren't published/owned by Sony is I'm not mistaken?
Yeah exactly. The original guy said 'PS games' so I guess it's some made-up definition.

But I think the point is that the policies from Sony and Microsoft are very different. PC is getting Days Gone over two years from release. I imagine Dreams will come. Probably some older games. Maybe the next GT game after a couple years?

Hezekiah

Banned
Assuming they have a PC, let alone a PC capable of matching the GPU in the $500 Series X which is RTX 2080 level in raster performance.
The great thing about PC is you have much more flexibility.

And you're focusing on the GPU, but there are other components at play so for example many of those machines like mine will have more RAM (system and graphics) than Series X, more CPU power, high refresh 144hz+ monitors (possibly ultrawide).

If there's online component that will be free to play.

Mods, and full control of tweakable graphics settings.

And frankly by the time Starfield releases the 4000 series will be on its way.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I must say I don't get where this strange "I'm a playstation fan and I can buy these xbox games day one while mine are only available on my console day 1" comments come from.

Is it some kind of win for you?
Isn't the whole point of this thread that Starfield will be exclusive to one platform? I mean, I get what you are saying that PS gamers should be thankful that they have access to Xbox games but the whole point of this thread is to brag about a game that was originally being developed for multi-platform is now going to be exclusive. Why should that be a win for anyone?

Corndog

Banned
Isn't the whole point of this thread that Starfield will be exclusive to one platform? I mean, I get what you are saying that PS gamers should be thankful that they have access to Xbox games but the whole point of this thread is to brag about a game that was originally being developed for multi-platform is now going to be exclusive. Why should that be a win for anyone?
It’s a win for pc and Xbox players.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

And it was all over the internet at one point that Sony were trying to buy a considerable timed exclusivity on Starfield, just like death loop and Tokyo Wire. It was also pretty much confirmed that someone was going to buy Zenimax. I'm not praising it either way, something was going to happen with Starfield and Zenimax. Now, with how Microsoft handles their games, being day one and also massively supporting Backwards compatibility I feel a bit more confident that we may have got the best scenario for now and the future (possible sales on steam etc). People will be able to play the game on Xbox, PC or wherever Game Pass is over only being able to play it on a ps5 (potentially ps4?) or having it owned by someone like Tencent and potentially only on EGS store or whatever else may have happened.

I have absolutely no idea.

I'm not going to lose sleep over what happens in the business, the deal has happened. I own every console and a decent PC so I can enjoy every game I want to and ultimately have choices.

But honestly, the one good thing from that post of Franks was that Starfield or any Bethesda / MS game will not be "Exclusive" to one system...it will be available on multiple.

I can't' believe there are 14 pages of morons arguing over the fact that Microsoft was and I put in caps -- VERY CLEAR ON THEIR INTENTIONS OF BUYING BETHEDIA, WHO THE FUCK BUYS A COMPANY FOR 7 BILLION DOLLARS AND CONTINUE TO GIVE ASSETS TO THE COMPETITOR! How hard is that to understand the fucking concept. That is like Disney who bought Marvel, Star Wars, and now 21st Century Fox gives the assets that they now own to their competitors like Warner Bros., Paramount/Viacom. Let me tell you something that is starting to also piss me off, you ALL ASKED FOR MICROSOFT TO BE AGRESSIVE because of the lack of games in which they did have and still have because of lack of communication still with them but still, you all asked for this. This is what you guys get. A company worth billions playing it easy to just buy whatever the fuck they want. -- * drops mic * I'm out. Not coming back to this useless thread.

Not like this, man

Last edited:

laynelane

Even if hypothetically they decided to port it to PS5 later, there's no way it would be 6 months, the point of making Bethesda games exclusive is to get people into their ecosystem, if Sony fans know they can just wait 6 months or a year and still get all the good games what incentive is there for them to get an Xbox/play on PC/xCloud/subscribe to Game Pass? The "smart" thing is to keep it permanently exclusive to Xbox/PC/xCloud because 1. It helps people into their ecosystem/subscribe to Game Pass, 2. It doesn't actually exclude anybody, pretty much ever PS5 user has access to a device that can stream on xCloud, or a PC, and 3. It's the beginning of a new generation, the only Bethesda fans locked into PS5 are the ones who did that to themselves knowing that they almost certainly wouldn't be able to play Bethesda games, everybody else has a choice to make, and keeping those games exclusive is a point towards choosing Xbox for a lot of consumers

I agree with your points but would like to add that even with temporary exclusivity, there's a lot of people who won't want to wait. It's something I've noticed over the years - that getting a game on release is important to many people. Please note, I'm not weighing in on whether it will be temporary or anything like that. Just that when the games release (Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Doom, etc.), I think many people will want to play them immediately which we'll see in an increase in GamePass subs and XBox hardware sold.

Yes, starfield will be available on xbox, PC and where gamepass is.

I hope its an amazing game and you enjoy it.

Is it some kind of win for you? Like honestly, it genuinely makes me laugh a little inside. Isnt it good that MS gives you the option to purchase their game or get it on gamepass?

Do You sit there laughing like hehe those pc guys are going to have to wait at least a year to play this while I paid 70 dollars for it day one hehe and I get to play these xbox games that I bought...hehe...

..meanwhile Microsoft laugh all the way to the bank.

If this is close to some kind of truth for you...then....I don't really have much to say but....Good on ya mate!
It's the power of marketing in action. Exclusivity is literally just fake value for a DRM locked box, and some people are eating it up as if it was real value.

It's exclusive..... until barely anyone buys their game.

I get you're upset, but nothing could be further from the truth. Bethesda as a collective developer of games has never been better. Fallout 76 was a blemish that is now a much better game than what was launched. Elder Scrolls Online is fantastic, Doom is at the top of its game, Wolfenstein is on the upswing, Prey is getting the recognition it deserves, more are discovering Dishonored, snagging big lucasfilms game contracts for Indiana Jones and god knows what else, and Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo both look really damn good. For what Bethesda will do for Microsoft in the coming 2 decades and beyond will make that $7.5 billion spent seem like a steal.

Aroll

He was listed as the producer for Oblivion and Fallout 3 too

He's at the top of the credits because he is the person with the most responsibility for the game. It's as simple as that. Whether he's listed as a director, lead or producer doesn't change that
He has responsibility for the IP. But in case you are unaware, Game Directors are the ones responsive for the games overall direction. Producers are mostly glorified thumbs up and thumbs down people. It’s why we give movie directors so much credit and not the producers. Game Directors deserve credit and blame most of the time.

Todd is basically Miyamoto these days. His name gets attached for marketing purposes.

He has responsibility for the IP. But in case you are unaware, Game Directors are the ones responsive for the games overall direction. Producers are mostly glorified thumbs up and thumbs down people. It’s why we give movie directors so much credit and not the producers. Game Directors deserve credit and blame most of the time.

Todd is basically Miyamoto these days. His name gets attached for marketing purposes.

I'm aware of what a game director does

I'm saying people are putting too much stock in what these titles mean. Miyamoto being an executive producer for something like Breath of The Wild isn't the same as Todd being an executive producer for Oblivion. The ladder was the one responsible for the games direction regardless of whether he called himself the director or whatever.

You see this in the game credits. Todd is at the top for his games. Miyamoto is at the bottom

Pull n Pray

Banned

And that was a legitimate criticism of PS Now. Streaming is the future, but it is far from optimal right now. But it's preeminence is a matter of when, not if (unless catastrophe hits the world). Internet speeds will increase, latency will decrease, cloud infrastructure will expand, and streaming technology will improve. Eventually, cloud gaming will not just be equal to gaming locally, but far superior. Because cloud gaming in the future will bring near limitless compute power that can be scaled to the requirements of the game you are playing.

I agree with you that Game Pass would fail right now if it were xCloud only. Microsoft is in a unique position. They have a plan for the present, and a plan for the console-less future. Amazon and Google have plans for the future, but no plans for the present. Sony has a plan for the present, but no plan for the future (other than to rent cloud compute services from Amazon, Google, Microsoft, or Tencent). It would make a lot of sense for Amazon or Google to partner up with (or acquire) Sony.

Last edited:
Period. This is me confirming that.

The way this tweet reads is very arrogant. It's almost like he's mad about something, or mad about this question... so he came out and tweeted it the way he tweeted it. I feel like most journalist always leave a little wiggle room like "based on what I'm hearing from my sources, that is the case" "Confirmed based on what my sources are telling me" Think this wouldn't come off seeming so arrogant, to me anyway, if it came from Phil, someone at Xbox/Bethesda, or a developer... cause they're working on it, they have a hand it it's creation. Grubb is just reporting on it.

Oh and Yes, I would totally believe this game to be exclusive. If I was Xbox I would do that.

e&e

Banned
Sooo...will PlayStation diehards explode if the game is exclusive AND get amazing reviews AND GOTY?

All I know is that this three day old thread about Starfield/Bethesda has 14 pages and counting, which means that engagement and interest in the brand is very high. If Starfield and all future Bethesda games are indeed exclusive to Xbox/PC (99% certain), then it's a huge loss for Sony and their die-hard fans.

Top Bottom