• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb - Starfield June 23, Hellblade 2 in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFire

Grubb has correctly predicted exactly when Nintendo Directs, the Xbox Games Showcase, the PS5 reveal, etc.. etc.. would occur, oftentimes predicting weeks in advance.

He also leaked the Multiversus game and details about it, the Mass Effect Remasters, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, the Fable reboot, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, the EA Play/Game Pass merge, Forza Horizon 5 taking place in Mexico, Starfield being exclusive to Xbox/PC, etc.. etc..

Again, that's not to say he doesn't get things wrong. He does. But he clearly has insider information. He's not just guessing.
If you say he predicted those things with accuracy then I have no reason to dispute it. But personally, I won't be able to trust rumors from someone who made such a glaringly backwards prediction on a pretty significant issue. If he explains the details about who told him the false information, why it seemed reliable at the time, etc., I might have a different impression.

anthony2690

Banned
Grubb has correctly predicted exactly when Nintendo Directs, the Xbox Games Showcase, the PS5 reveal, etc.. etc.. would occur, oftentimes predicting weeks in advance.

He also leaked the Multiversus game and details about it, the Mass Effect Remasters, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, the Fable reboot, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, the EA Play/Game Pass merge, Forza Horizon 5 taking place in Mexico, Starfield being exclusive to Xbox/PC, etc.. etc..

Again, that's not to say he doesn't get things wrong. He does. But he clearly has insider information. He's not just guessing.
Don't forget when every one thought he was crazy when he kept saying there is a Kojima Xbox game happening.

I personally think Jeff Grubb is solid with very good sources.

But his SPECULATIONS are poor, if he doesn't say he is speculating before he drops info, then it's probably good info.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
They went out of their way to update their support page to say the first half of this year. The amount of cope when this things launches to a 90+ Metacritic will be fun
Why would anyone cope? No one gives a shit about box wars as much as you think they do

I can definitely see them shadow dropping the game at an E3 style show in June. The success of HiFi Rush would make it a more viable thing to do.

FBeeEye

Banned
Starfield is launching on PC as well as Xbox so not sure why excluding PS would alleviate any QA issues or negate Bethesda's "track record". Hopefully, Microsoft funds have given Bethesda what they need to deliver a quality game at launch.

@bentanchorbolt is an Xbox fan. Microsoft has had issues delivering first party games on a consistent basis so his doubt is warranted.
How many platforms did prior Bethesda games release on? That required dev resources to be spread thin where with Xbox and PC, which are essentially the same platform, the number of variables when it comes to development is significantly reduced. On top of that, the game was already delayed when we know if it was up to Bethesda, they would have released it in November.

A leaker, one who correctly predicted Hi-Fi Rush being shadow dropped, commented that Starfield was actually still in rough shape, and if it launches in 2023, it'll be coming in with a lot of problems. Bethesda were apparently angling for more time. However, apparently, the Xbox Division is pushing to make as much revenue as possible, due to Microsoft as a whole posting underperforming revenue in its recent investor call. If they delay Starfield to late 2023 or 2024, that'll push out Xbox's biggest 2023 release into the next financial quarter / half. So, Microsoft is pushing Xbox to push Bethesda to launch Starfield earlier. Take that with a major grain of salt, obviously.

With that said, Starfield is the first big game from Xbox's shopping spree. Everyone, including shareholders, will be watching it to see if Microsoft's strategy will work. And Microsoft know it. If Starfield fails, shareholders won't be keen on Microsoft's USD$77b investments. If Starfield is a massive success, Microsoft's investments will look like the big smart play Xbox needed, and shareholders will be over the moon. There's a lot riding on Starfield.
The bolded part makes absolutely no sense. Microsoft gave Todd Howard and the team at Bethesda the go-ahead to delay the game for half a year into 2023 after they requested more time, yet this rumor makes it seem like Microsoft is the bad guy pushing the team to deliver an unfinished product ASAP. Not to mention the thought that a game releasing on GamePass would somehow alleviate revenue/income deficits from Microsoft's main cloud and Sofware businesses is just laughable.

Topher

Gold Member
How many platforms did prior Bethesda games release on? That required dev resources to be spread thin where with Xbox and PC, which are essentially the same platform, the number of variables when it comes to development is significantly reduced. On top of that, the game was already delayed when we know if it was up to Bethesda, they would have released it in November.

Xbox and PC are not "essentially the same platform". PC has a ridiculous number of variations and then you have different Windows and Steam versions as well. I'm hopeful that the game comes out perfect but calling concern over Bethesda's past quality issues a "stupid trope" is a bit absurd.

Starfield is a massive game that looked like it needed a lot of work a year ago and Hellblade said they were just starting production not too long ago and apparently it's open world.
Starfield looked pretty complete to me after watching the E3 2022 showcase. The only issues people brought up were the unoptimized framerate and some minor details like smoke not emitting from gun barrels when fired. I'm certain a team of 500+ people can resolve those problems after 12 months.

Starfield looked pretty complete to me after watching the E3 2022 showcase. The only issues people brought up were the unoptimized framerate and some minor details like smoke not emitting from gun barrels when fired. I'm certain a team of 500+ people can resolve those problems after 12 months.

We shall see

The gunplay looked super rough

demigod

A company that employs a highly successful subscription service and no longer needs to rely on one season out of the year to sell their games.
Is that why Forza Horizon 5 and Halo infinite released during the holidays?

Also Starfield was scheduled for the holidays as well and im betting it will be this year.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I'm so thirsty for Starfield that I thought this was showing the games in order of release date.

wtqGzGn.jpeg

Corndog

Banned
Starfield is a massive game that looked like it needed a lot of work a year ago and Hellblade said they were just starting production not too long ago and apparently it's open world.
Starfield looked ok to me. It looked like your typical Bethesda game. And it’s already getting a lot of extra time. I guess we will find out in a few months.

coffinbirth

The part you missed out is that the guy ‘predicted’ Hi-Fi Rush days and hours after other leakers had made the prediction.

Then also proceeded to tank his credibility by claiming he also had insider information on Diablo, made by an entire other company.

Not sure there’s that strong of a link. Not only would the investment be locked in by Starfield’s release date (or overruled by regulators), but the deal brings steady COD revenue + significant mobile presence that are entirely different factors.
Yup.

sendit

If this happens. Order of priority in June

1. Diablo 4
2. FF16
3. Starfield

May not even see FF16 or Starfield action this year depending on how good Diablo 4 is.

Not a chance in hell Starfield will be out this June. Multiple people have claimed that it's in a very rough state currently.

Nydius

The bolded part makes absolutely no sense.
It makes perfect sense to anyone who understands business financial quarters. Launching after June 30 means losing out on increased Game Pass revenue and digital/box sales of Starfield for FY23, pushing it into FY24 instead. Which negatively impacts investors and stakeholders. I don't know why you brought up Azure in your response -- investors look at these platforms separately. If the gaming division is underperforming, Azure doing well doesn't magically offset that.

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense to anyone who understands business financial quarters. Launching after June 30 means losing out on increased Game Pass revenue and digital/box sales of Starfield for FY23, pushing it into FY24 instead. Which negatively impacts investors and stakeholders. I don't know why you brought up Azure in your response -- investors look at these platforms separately. If the gaming division is underperforming, Azure doing well doesn't magically offset that.
No amount of game sale revenue, especially from games releasing on GamePass, would offset billions of dollars' worth of underperforming revenue metrics for a Microsoft quarter. It's like asking an ant to make up for the production of a lame horse.

NickFire

No amount of game sale revenue, especially from games releasing on GamePass, would offset billions of dollars' worth of underperforming revenue metrics for a Microsoft quarter. It's like asking an ant to make up for the production of a lame horse.
Don't overthink it. It just sounds like one of those situations where massive company didn't do as well as hoped, so every department wants to come in hot in case there are company wide reviews of each department. Along the lines of we better show some results so they do not redirect some of our resources to a different department. Or we better show some results before a company wide review concludes we need to be replaced with new leaders. Etc.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Yea, June 2024. Shit ain’t happening. If it does, it’s going to be a bugfest (more so than normal)…plus releasing the same month as FF16 is the dumbest move they could possibly make.
Also, wtf are we still keeping Grubb relevant?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yea, June 2024. Shit ain’t happening. If it does, it’s going to be a bugfest (more so than normal)…plus releasing the same month as FF16 is the dumbest move they could possibly make.
Also, wtf are we still keeping Grubb relevant?

Releasing starfield the same month as ffxvi is a dumb move?
Hahahaha...wow, good one.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Ff16 is only on PS5. Starfield is on PC and Xbox. I don’t see a conflict.
I play in all three, although admittedly more on ps5, then PC, and barely Xbox anymore. I am also a lifetime FF fan…but to me, if I am MS, I’m looking at August - early November if, big IF, it does release this year. FF will absolutely take buyers away from it. Sure, Starfield is on both, but I think people are grossly underestimating how many people are waiting for FF16, and how much time people are going to drop into it. If I am a gamer on all three systems, minus Switch, and strapped for cash during that time and can only afford one, it’s no doubt FF. Plus, we all know based on Bethesdas track record, Starfield is not going to be the most polished game in the world, and waiting until after launch is probably the safest bet with it.
Again, I favor ps5 and Final Fantasy all day long, but just my opinion, they would be better off waiting until later in the year, or early next year.

I play in all three, although admittedly more on ps5, then PC, and barely Xbox anymore. I am also a lifetime FF fan…but to me, if I am MS, I’m looking at August - early November if, big IF, it does release this year. FF will absolutely take buyers away from it. Sure, Starfield is on both, but I think people are grossly underestimating how many people are waiting for FF16, and how much time people are going to drop into it. If I am a gamer on all three systems, minus Switch, and strapped for cash during that time and can only afford one, it’s no doubt FF. Plus, we all know based on Bethesdas track record, Starfield is not going to be the most polished game in the world, and waiting until after launch is probably the safest bet with it.
Again, I favor ps5 and Final Fantasy all day long, but just my opinion, they would be better off waiting until later in the year, or early next year.
There's no reason for them not to be released at the same time.
Different platforms and all that.
I think nothing is going to overshadow Starfield. It's the first new IP from Bethesda in how long?
I understand that since they became a Microsoft company Bethesda aren't as good as they used to be, but make no bones about it, Starfield will be huge. The game is going to be a huge seller. I think alot of people just forget how big a Bethesda release it. On top of that the longevity of their games on PC with the modding community is a big deal.
And, even though Starfield is the biggest release in a long time, people with PS5 can't get it so FF doesn't have any issues with it either.
Both consoles get a big RPG. Everyone's a winner.

Don't forget when every one thought he was crazy when he kept saying there is a Kojima Xbox game happening.

I personally think Jeff Grubb is solid with very good sources.

But his SPECULATIONS are poor, if he doesn't say he is speculating before he drops info, then it's probably good info.
Idk why people here don’t like him. Outside of here he seems to be a well liked figure especially since is track record is solid af. His predictions suck his leaking is on the money. Him, Schrier and Tom Henderson are the most reliable outside of the snitch if you want leaks 3 hours before reveal.

anthony2690

Banned
Idk why people here don’t like him. Outside of here he seems to be a well liked figure especially since is track record is solid af. His predictions suck his leaking is on the money. Him, Schrier and Tom Henderson are the most reliable outside of the snitch if you want leaks 3 hours before reveal.
I fully agree, they all clearly have great sources of info and have great track records.

I just need the man to talk about Killer Instinct with no mention of speculation and I'll be happy.

supernova8

Banned
So on the latest Xbox Two podcast, Jeff Grubb has said that Starfield should release in June and that it's a fairly good chance that Hellblade 2 will release in 2023 as well.
If it's true and Hellblade 2 drops this year as well, it would be a massive year.
In other words, if they do come out he'll take credit and if they don't he'll say "well I was just joking guys jesus take a chill pill"

Kvally

Banned
Schreier is REALLY BAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom