• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twilo99

xc95YI3.jpg

Chair upgrade most important part of a PC IMO.

Very nice, how are you liking it?

So I've been looking at it, and from all I can see this is technically the HM embody with some G branding on it?

edit.

never mind, answered a few posts above lol

Last edited:

amigastar

I wouldn't feel bad about buying a 4070 if it fits your budget and is a decent upgrade from your current system

I have said a couple of times had a friend upgrade his 1070 PC (think it was a 1070, I know it was a 10 series) to a 7700x 4070ti card and is in love with his upgrade
It would be decent upgrade i think, i'm currently rocking an RTX 2060. Processor is I7 11700k so thats also good.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wouldn't feel bad about buying a 4070 if it fits your budget and is a decent upgrade from your current system

I have said a couple of times had a friend upgrade his 1070 PC (think it was a 1070, I know it was a 10 series) to a 7700x 4070ti card and is in love with his upgrade
I would when there is a 16GB cheaper option out there called the 6800 for $469. That blows the doors off the 4070 in terms of value.

KTT

Im in middle of putting together a list of parts for new PC.
Whats the word on the current top of the line setup in 2023?
What should I "ideally" get?
Top of the line...Price doesnt matter..... although i dont want gold encrusted ram or something like that ;)

Bumping this guy's post. I was hoping to see some replies. He's asking what the top-of-the-line PC spec is right now

I guess something like:

Tier 1
GPU: 4090
CPU: maybe a 7950X3D / 13900
RAM: 64GB DDR5

Then maybe we take it down one step from there and have:

Tier 2
GPU: 7900XTX
CPU: 7800X3D / 13700
RAM: 32GB DDR5

Take it down another step:

Tier 3
GPU: 4070
CPU: 5800X3D / 12900 / 12700
RAM: 32GB DDR4

But I barely know what I'm talking about. Any other opinions?

Last edited:

MikeM

Bumping this guy's post. I was hoping to see some replies. He's asking what the top-of-the-line PC spec is right now

I guess something like:

Take it down another step

Sure but if gaming mainly- 7800x3d over the 7950x3d

CGNoire

I guess something like:

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

Tier 1 was what I was thinking. I was gonna go with 32GB ram before but now that I think about it I do do Game dev so I most likely should go with 64GB.

Last edited:

KTT

Anyone feeling ambitious enough to put together some pcpartpicker list for maybe a Tier 1 and Tier 2 build right now? The builds listed on the frontpage are kinda useless. The prices are inaccurate, recommendations are stale and irrelevant today... but off the top of my head I don't know what the no-brainer choice and fair price is right now for a lot of these components. You guys have your finger much more on the pulse hehe

KTT

I'm also wondering what future upgrade considerations I should have in mind while building a brand new PC today? I have no idea what the big manufacturers have coming in the next few years and what that means for mobo chipset compatibility, PC life extension, etc etc... I'll do some research in the meanwhile but can help anyone orient me a bit? Anything big/important coming soon?

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I'm also wondering what future upgrade considerations I should have in mind while building a brand new PC today? I have no idea what the big manufacturers have coming in the next few years and what that means for mobo chipset compatibility, PC life extension, etc etc... I'll do some research in the meanwhile but can help anyone orient me a bit? Anything big/important coming soon?
What's your budget. What are you looking to do with your PC? (Gaming, productivity, both? etc) What resolution you plan to use? And do you have a preference far as AMD, Nvidia, Intel goes. Or are you a sane person who can handle any? These are the burning questions, lol.

if you're building a PC today and if you can afford it then you definitely want to future proof it by building a PC with AMD 7000 series CPUs or Intel 12-13th gen so that you can get a motherboard with both PCIE 5.0 and DDR5. That's the future of PC but it is expensive.

I haven't seen any PCIE 5.0 SSDs for sale here yet but I guess they'll be coming soon. SSDs have maxed out PCIE 4 speeds at ~7.6GB/s so we "need" faster drives and PCIE 5 will allow that. I don't really think GPUs take advantage of PCIE 4 speeds but it can't hurt to have a PCIE 5 slot on your board. We might start to get PCIE 5 gpus in the next couple years (not that they are guaranteed to take advantage of it)

DDR5 RAM is still quite new and not significantly faster than DDR4 but this will change over time.

This morning I just bought new parts to upgrade to a PCIE5/DDR5 system. My current PC has PCIE3 ssd/gpu slot and DDR4 RAM. it still kicks ass in games but I like to upgrade when new pcie/ddr comes out as it feels like a new generation for PCs and I know my system is going to be good for a long time. I got a 6700K when it came out and that was when DDR4 was new and I kept that CPU for 4 years. I've been on a DDR4 pc for 8 years now. PCIE is a bit of a weird one because 3.0 was around for a long time (and still is). We got PCIE4 boards a couple years ago but they weren't really needed until recently now that SSDs max it out. Like i said above I don't think GPUs are anywhere near maxing out 4.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Except thats not what he wants and personally don't blame him as I wouldn't buy the 6800 either
Right because we should never try to convince anyone that there are better options...

Like talking someone out of spending $450 on a 3060 Ti...because that is what he wanted...

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I guess something like:

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

Pretty accurate, but I'd pick a 7800X3D over a 7950X3D if gaming is all that matters.

Pretty accurate, but I'd pick a 7800X3D over a 7950X3D if gaming is all that matters.
True but if you are buying a 4090, 64GB RAM, then might as well just get the 7950X3D. Yeah it has scheduler issues due to the dual CCDs but you could sim a 7800X3D if you wanted. the 7950x3d out performs the the 7800X3D in some gaming situations. Not by a lot but if you want the absolute best (amd) CPU then go for the 7950X3D. it will give you more freedom and control. Also, if you are a streamer then it will help a lot. You can run games on the Cache CCD and your streaming software on the Frequency CCD at the same time. I'm sure a 7800X3D can stream games fine with great performance but again....if you want the best and money isn't a problem go for the 7950x3d

Last edited:

amigastar

Right because we should never try to convince anyone that there are better options...

Like talking someone out of spending $450 on a 3060 Ti...because that is what he wanted...
I've been a Nvidia guy since GeForce3 Ti500 in 2001. So i don't have interest in AMD graphic cards. Sorry.

KTT

I had the 3060 Ti in mind because of the first post in this thread >.< I figured since it was updated in January, it couldn't be too stale. But now I realize things have changed quite a bit.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Some people don't care about team red, actually the vast majority of people don't so I wont try to convince someone to buy into a product they simply don't want

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Some people don't care about team red, actually the vast majority of people don't so I wont try to convince someone to buy into a product they simply don't want
Good for you, but the purpose of this thread is to give people good PC building advice. Under $1000 there is very little reason to go with nvidia unless you are absolutely deadset on using RT, which I'd still argue that you could take a game scene and few would correctly be able to pick out the RTed image vs the rast. However, RT and DLSS are becoming better and better deals, while AMD sucks at RT right now.

I have a 4090 because it is the best of the best.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Good for you, but the purpose of this thread is to give people good PC building advice. Under $1000 there is very little reason to go with nvidia unless you are absolutely deadset on using RT, which I'd still argue that you could take a game scene and few would correctly be able to pick out the RTed image vs the rast. However, RT and DLSS are becoming better and better deals, while AMD sucks at RT right now.

I have a 4090 because it is the best of the best.
The problem I keep circling back to is he didn't ask for comparisons he said he felt bad for wanting a 4070 and I told him he shouldn't feel bad

He didn't ask about AMD so I assumed (properly as it turns out) he didn't want AMD

I understand you are trying to help him in your mind but he didn't ask for that

Sleepwalker

What's changed? Have you been overclocking, added new hardware, or was chrome updated?

Are you getting BSODs at any other point?

I swapped my CPU from 3600x to 5900x and my ram from 2x 16gb to 2x 32gb DDR4 kits about 3 weeks ago? March 22 iirc. Furthermore like 10 days ago or so my dog knocked over my case and the fiber glass panel shattered (pc was on the floor while i rearranged my desk).

Im stuck in a windows autorepair bootloop rn, i can bypass it by going into bios and selecting my ssd as boot device, pc will work fine afterwards unless I open chrome, which will instantly trigger the BSOD.

I'm going to reseat the SSD, GPU, RAM and CPU first and see if that solves it, hopefully they just became a little unseated due to the fall.

Ive already updated drivers for the gpu and the x570 chipset from amds website but the problem persists.

Last edited:
I swapped my CPU from 3600x to 5900x and my ram from 2x 16gb to 2x 32gb DDR4 kits about 3 weeks ago? March 22 iirc. Furthermore like 10 days ago or so my dog knocked over my case and the fiber glass panel shattered (pc was on the floor while i rearranged my desk).

Im stuck in a windows autorepair bootloop rn, i can bypass it by going into bios and selecting my ssd as boot device, pc will work fine afterwards unless I open chrome, which will instantly trigger the BSOD.

I'm going to reseat the SSD, GPU, RAM and CPU first and see if that solves it, hopefully they just became a little unseated due to the fall.

Ive already updated drivers for the gpu and the x570 chipset from amds website but the problem persists.
Good idea to check the connections. Could be something loose somewhere!

Only things I can suggest are (in no particular order):

1. try not using Chrome for a while to see if the BSOD happens when using another browser. I'd highly recommend Firefox. Edge could be fine but it's still based on Chromium so it is possible that if there is an issue with Chrome it could also affect Edge (or any other Chromium based browser). Another option is to try reinstall Chrome OR jump onto the Chrome Beta (or Dev if you're brave) channel. If it's an issue with Chrome then any fix will come to Beta/Dev sooner.

2. If you're still getting BSODs after checking connections and trying to determine if it's just Chrome then download something like "BlueScreenView" and it should read your crash dumps and give you a better idea of what exactly is causing the crash.

3. As you've just added new hardware recently (a new CPU and new RAM) then there is the possibility it is unstable or faulty. Go into your BIOS and reset it to default settings. Run some stress tests like Prime95, Aida64, Cinebench, MemTest86, Heaven/Superposition/3D Mark. Prime95 is considered the best for hammering the CPU/RAM. MemTest86 is a must if you suspect unstable/faulty RAM but it takes a long time especially if you have 64GB. For GPU then I tend to find 3D Mark the quickest way to test stability. Aida64 will punish your entire system from CPU, cache, RAM, GPU.

4. Clean install everything.

If none of that helps then it is time to consider you might have faulty hardware.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Good idea to check the connections. Could be something loose somewhere!

Only things I can suggest are (in no particular order):

1. try not using Chrome for a while to see if the BSOD happens when using another browser. I'd highly recommend Firefox. Edge could be fine but it's still based on Chromium so it is possible that if there is an issue with Chrome it could also affect Edge (or any other Chromium based browser). Another option is to try reinstall Chrome OR jump onto the Chrome Beta (or Dev if you're brave) channel. If it's an issue with Chrome then any fix will come to Beta/Dev sooner.

2. If you're still getting BSODs after checking connections and trying to determine if it's just Chrome then download something like "BlueScreenView" and it should read your crash dumps and give you a better idea of what exactly is causing the crash.

3. As you've just added new hardware recently (a new CPU and new RAM) then there is the possibility it is unstable or faulty. Go into your BIOS and reset it to default settings. Run some stress tests like Prime95, Aida64, Cinebench, MemTest86, Heaven/Superposition/3D Mark. Prime95 is considered the best for hammering the CPU/RAM. MemTest86 is a must if you suspect unstable/faulty RAM but it takes a long time especially if you have 64GB. For GPU then I tend to find 3D Mark the quickest way to test stability. Aida64 will punish your entire system from CPU, cache, RAM, GPU.

4. Clean install everything.

If none of that helps then it is time to consider you might have faulty hardware.
After reseating everything it lasted for a bit using firefox, until I opened a link on discord that sent me to chrome (default browser) after that the system is just stuck in the automatic repair loop, I've reset bios to default but its no longer able to detect my NVME main drive as a boot drive, which means its unable to boot windows.

I've gone ahead and ordered a new drive from amazon and an enclosure for this one to see if its salvageable. CPU/GPU/RAM seem ok, WHEA error apparently means faulty hardware, so it should be that, otherwise it might be the m.2 slot in my mobo which would be a worse outcome lol. Kinda wishing it was either the CPU or the RAM as those are still in warranty and I even got the extra protection from the retailer where I got the cpu so it would've been a free swap lol

PhoenixTank

After reseating everything it lasted for a bit using firefox, until I opened a link on discord that sent me to chrome (default browser) after that the system is just stuck in the automatic repair loop, I've reset bios to default but its no longer able to detect my NVME main drive as a boot drive, which means its unable to boot windows.

I've gone ahead and ordered a new drive from amazon and an enclosure for this one to see if its salvageable. CPU/GPU/RAM seem ok, WHEA error apparently means faulty hardware, so it should be that, otherwise it might be the m.2 slot in my mobo which would be a worse outcome lol. Kinda wishing it was either the CPU or the RAM as those are still in warranty and I even got the extra protection from the retailer where I got the cpu so it would've been a free swap lol
Just popping by but if you can get it to be stable enough to reach Event Viewer you should be able to see which type of WHEA Event it is (1, 9, 19 etc) and then google based on that. Source to filter for: WHEA-Logger

Sleepwalker

Just popping by but if you can get it to be stable enough to reach Event Viewer you should be able to see which type of WHEA Event it is (1, 9, 19 etc) and then google based on that. Source to filter for: WHEA-Logger

Thanks, I see the dump files are being stored on my secondary drive (non boot) so as soon as I managed to boot it I'll get right into that!. SSD will arrive tomorrow so I'm just gonna stay put till then.

Joramun

Does your motherboard have TPM? They do weird things sometimes when you swap out hardware.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
One of my buddies was having massive power issues with his system. I went by to see what was up. As this only started occurring after be bought at 3080 12GB. This guy was running 25 RGB fans and 10 RGB strips inside of his case....
I hope you kindly explained to him that a modern PC needs a lot more go faster RGB lights than that to really get maximum performance.

rsouzadk

Thanks, I see the dump files are being stored on my secondary drive (non boot) so as soon as I managed to boot it I'll get right into that!. SSD will arrive tomorrow so I'm just gonna stay put till then.

Verify in the bios the voltages (3v, 5v, 12v). Maybe some cable isnt well attached anymore. Had this a while ago, and the 3.3v on the bios was at 2.98v. Did reseat the psu cables and voila, no random bsods. Just to be sure, try to disable any auto oc on motherboard, like pbo on amd, multicore enhancement on intel, etc, and try to set LLC on 4 or more to avoid agressive undervolting when cpu is in iddle state. I know it seems odd, but i had many issues with it, on both amd/intel, like, their auto oc/uv algorithms was broken.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Verify in the bios the voltages (3v, 5v, 12v). Maybe some cable isnt well attached anymore. Had this a while ago, and the 3.3v on the bios was at 2.98v. Did reseat the psu cables and voila, no random bsods. Just to be sure, try to disable any auto oc on motherboard, like pbo on amd, multicore enhancement on intel, etc, and try to set LLC on 4 or more to avoid agressive undervolting when cpu is in iddle state. I know it seems odd, but i had many issues with it, on both amd/intel, like, their auto oc/uv algorithms was broken.
I'll give that a go, but the PC won't boot anymore. BIOS doesnt recognize my NVME (only my 2tb hdd), and the one time I got it to show up it said 0mb capacity, tried reinstalling windows from a USB and the installer also detects my NVME drive as 0 capacity. Will try a new one tomorrow.

Yerd

I'll give that a go, but the PC won't boot anymore. BIOS doesnt recognize my NVME (only my 2tb hdd), and the one time I got it to show up it said 0mb capacity, tried reinstalling windows from a USB and the installer also detects my NVME drive as 0 capacity. Will try a new one tomorrow.
Take the time to use an old hdd as a new boot drive, install windows, test for bsod in chrome. Rule out other hardware. Sounds already like that nvme got killed in the battle with your dumb dog. He's obviously a console fanboy.

What is it with AMD not being able to stock the 7950X3D almost 2 months since launching?

I ordered a 7950X3D because the retailer said they expected stock to come in on the 14th. I did order on the 15th but today I get no estimate at all. So who knows how long I need to wait. I thought with the 7800X3D being reviewed and priced that it would ease up demand for the 7950X3D but it's still difficult to find it in stock anywhere. Maybe I'd have been quicker ordering it from Amazon US.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Have been finally tuning the 7800X3D PBO settings and after 2-3 hours of fine tuning I retested the bench. Basically I just did a generic no thinking -10 offset on all the cores. Since then I've actually spent time with this thing like someone reviewing it.

Again, this is maxed out with PT and DLSS3 ON

BEFORE
benchhxiia.jpg

AFTER
20230416_102213k4cyd.jpg

Cross posting this for those with the 7800X3D. This is really to share my PBO settings I've managed to tune after sitting on a basic PBO "set it and forget it" settings profile since purchased.

I made necessary adjustments to DigiVRM on an Asus ROG x670e-F MB with 32GB DDR5 6000MT GSKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB.

Running Ryzen Master to determine the best 2 cores (core 5 and 0 respectively on my CPU) I settled (for now) on an offset of -24 fastest core, -29 second fastest core, -31 the other 6 cores. I could probably get away with more on the 6 cores but am content for now given the boost in gaming that tweak alone gives me.

This passes Cinebench with an 18300 multithread run and a 1779 single thread score. It's hitting 4.9ghz all core and 5.050 single core. Package draw on CPU is 91w at peak. Stable prime95 torture test.

Reactions: GHG

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, the 6800xt is only about 60-70 bucks cheaper. I'll pay that much more for better technology. The 4gb of vram could hurt, but not before I'm wanting to upgrade in 3-4 years. Should be fine in 1440P.
oh im not recommending you go for an AMD card. just poking fun at how a the x70 card is now a replacement for a x80 card when it used to be a replacement for the Titan or the Ti version of their flagship. This is performing like an x60 card from previous gens only its $600 instead of $300.

Puscifer

Anyone got any non-oled recommendations for a 4K monitor? I have about 1K to spend, the C2 was just too ridiculous for me to use and so many monitors have horrible IPS glow/bleed. Feels like 1440P is just so damn good and only getting better while they're still trying to get 4K under control

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Anyone got any non-oled recommendations for a 4K monitor? I have about 1K to spend, the C2 was just too ridiculous for me to use and so many monitors have horrible IPS glow/bleed. Feels like 1440P is just so damn good and only getting better while they're still trying to get 4K under control
I am still super impressed with the 32" Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 mini LED monitor

To me if I had to pick one monitor for all applications it would be that

Rtings has the G8 version as the best 32" monitor out there but the G8 I tried has scan lines I could see this G7 does not

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-size/32-inch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom