• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 2.0: Phantom Liberty | PC/Console Performance|Screenshots

yamaci17

I believe it, i sit at 1080p pathtracing dlss 3 on 10-11gb riding around
dlss3 also increases vram consumption mind you

around 500 mb to 1 gb at 1080p (usually though)
around 750 mb to 1.5 gb at 1440p
around 1 gb to 3 gb at 4k

it is weird and random. but the increase is always there

it is also reason why 4070 4070ti is a decrepit product. 3080 / 3080ti 12 gb products run into vram limitations without an EXTERNAL factor like DLSS3.

bolting dlss3 on them would actually harm performance in most cases going forward

devs do not have to care for dlss3. that is a completely external factor that no devs have to cater for

NVIDIA sends engineers to Cyberpunk team to ensure the game is compliant with dlss3 + ray tracing + path tracing + all that stuff. any other game, it would already fail colossally

but sooner or later, dlss3 will be unusable on LIKELY situations you will "require" it to enable going forward (in other terms, settings that push fidelity, settings thatr require DLSS3 performance will be the ones to push 12 gb buffer to its limits)

its practically a troll card. 8 gb dlss3 cards are one of the biggest scams nvidia ever pulled

they opportunistically use games that have super low vram footprint like spiderman (a ps4 based game), a plague tale requiem (corridors ), atomic heart and alike. those games, dlss3 usable on 8 GB cards.

but take something like hogwarts legacy and last of us part 1, dlss3 would quickly be detrimental to those cards.

it is very funny. I wouldn't invest in a 12 gb card for dlss3. it is 16 gb or bust for me.

sure you can enjoy cyberpunk with dlss3 on a 4070 at 1440p path tracing. but again, it is a specifically carefully tuned and tweaked game to work best on those cards, specifically.

hell, they tweak Cyberpunk so much so that even I can run path traicing at 1440p dlss upscaled with my 8 GB card. it is so because their 12 GB cards must be able to have enough VRAM leeway to run dlss3 alongside with path tracing. it is pretty funny actually.

SpearFist

This is some next level unbelievable shit, i cant stop drooling. The intro of Phantom liberty was awesome too.

0120990570B89166CBAB68798F2094A14E4A28A8

D4DACDFBADE938AFD14EB297A7527E978F2FCE43

A7A92A32BC5A4B947176B30C438790BD5C563C39

41213B97FE9804A7652955A5815EE0BB99D29B25

4F2D7DF3441CA71BA4A900E94C02C92FC4003676

I still have 1.63 in my ssd so yea , 2.0 dlss look weird as shit , especially in the rain . Trees and fence edge look super shimmering .

But If you enable RR you'll get like 95% quality of DLSS 1.63 back , but its had worse performance than running the game at native .

Yeah I noticed that too, but the perfomance hit is massive, I now the game looked amazing when I was playing on 1.6 a while back, so definitely something weird going on.

Kenpachii

dlss3 also increases vram consumption mind you

around 500 mb to 1 gb at 1080p (usually though)
around 750 mb to 1.5 gb at 1440p
around 1 gb to 3 gb at 4k

it is weird and random. but the increase is always there

it is also reason why 4070 4070ti is a decrepit product. 3080 / 3080ti 12 gb products run into vram limitations without an EXTERNAL factor like DLSS3.

bolting dlss3 on them would actually harm performance in most cases going forward

devs do not have to care for dlss3. that is a completely external factor that no devs have to cater for

NVIDIA sends engineers to Cyberpunk team to ensure the game is compliant with dlss3 + ray tracing + path tracing + all that stuff. any other game, it would already fail colossally

but sooner or later, dlss3 will be unusable on LIKELY situations you will "require" it to enable going forward (in other terms, settings that push fidelity, settings thatr require DLSS3 performance will be the ones to push 12 gb buffer to its limits)

its practically a troll card. 8 gb dlss3 cards are one of the biggest scams nvidia ever pulled

they opportunistically use games that have super low vram footprint like spiderman (a ps4 based game), a plague tale requiem (corridors ), atomic heart and alike. those games, dlss3 usable on 8 GB cards.

but take something like hogwarts legacy and last of us part 1, dlss3 would quickly be detrimental to those cards.

it is very funny. I wouldn't invest in a 12 gb card for dlss3. it is 16 gb or bust for me.

sure you can enjoy cyberpunk with dlss3 on a 4070 at 1440p path tracing. but again, it is a specifically carefully tuned and tweaked game to work best on those cards, specifically.

hell, they tweak Cyberpunk so much so that even I can run path traicing at 1440p dlss upscaled with my 8 GB card. it is so because their 12 GB cards must be able to have enough VRAM leeway to run dlss3 alongside with path tracing. it is pretty funny actually.

Maybe i should double dip and get a 4090 laptop after reading this.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I saw what that says, I'm telling you mine says just under 16 GB with everything completely maxed. Unless there is some setting that I am omitting and I'm do admit that I do not use motion blur as it's redundant to me. I'm just not sure what a setting like that would do to inflate the vram usage.

Bojji

I saw what that says, I'm telling you mine says just under 16 GB with everything completely maxed. Unless there is some setting that I am omitting and I'm do admit that I do not use motion blur as it's redundant to me. I'm just not sure what a setting like that would do to inflate the vram usage.

Game uses whatever available. On 4070 it's 11.5 allocated with around 10 actuall usage.

TwinB242

Man the performance on my 3070Ti is just awful. I've lowered so many settings and still can't get a stable framerate with any form of ray tracing enabled.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Always planned on playing this in console but it was messed up and I n quit paying any kind of attention.

Was this game the "can it run crysis" game for PCs when it came out? Were there only a couple cards that could run it?

Always planned on playing this in console but it was messed up and I n quit paying any kind of attention.

Was this game the "can it run crysis" game for PCs when it came out? Were there only a couple cards that could run it?
No, but you do need a high end card and specs to play the best version of the game with path tracing.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
For sure this game is a looker but it still rigged with bugs I'm honestly amazed.
In one hour I got NPCs clipping through the ground, cars disappearing OR randomly spawning (especially when exiting photo mode) and low res textures on some the billboards.

But the biggest bug I had came when I wanted to start the DLC. I was approaching the first objective and saw 2 cops and 2 gang members talking, they were all friendly. As I approached, a van ran over the four NPCs and everyone became aggressive around me. It was this place (I took a screenshot because it looked good, and upon exiting photo mode this van appeared about 10 feet off the ground, crashed and then crushed these NPC):

1091500_20230927045433_1.png

It's been a long time since I've seen a game with this many bugs. This is AC Unity level.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Yikes went from locked 60fps always in normal game and tanking to 20fps in dog town.

Standard CDRed at this point. Either you have a 4090 or you don’t get to enjoy lol.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me if I am CPU bottlenecked? I tried to find CPU benchmarks post 2.0 but came up empty. Overall I'm pretty happy with performance. I'm runninga 3070ti with a 3700x CPU 1080p custom high/ultra settings, RT set to ultra and DLSS on balanced or performance. Mostly in the base game I'm hitting 50-60fps driving around town but I started Phantom liberty last night and the intro tanks my fps to like 20-30fps in crowded areas and the combat section with a ton of fire and light sources was similar. I'm wondering if I'm CPU bound by the RT or if my 3070ti is just getting hit hard by the lighting.

yamaci17

Can anyone tell me if I am CPU bottlenecked? I tried to find CPU benchmarks post 2.0 but came up empty. Overall I'm pretty happy with performance. I'm runninga 3070ti with a 3700x CPU 1080p custom high/ultra settings, RT set to ultra and DLSS on balanced or performance. Mostly in the base game I'm hitting 50-60fps driving around town but I started Phantom liberty last night and the intro tanks my fps to like 20-30fps in crowded areas and the combat section with a ton of fire and light sources was similar. I'm wondering if I'm CPU bound by the RT or if my 3070ti is just getting hit hard by the lighting.
it could be both

phantom liberty is super vram bound with ray tracing, even at 1080p (internal resolution not matter much, mild reductions in vram)

try gtting afterburner rivatuner and take a look at that

try disabling rt lighting. that's the biggest vram consumer out of all ray tracing options. if that fixes the heavy fps drops, it is most likely vram related

it could also be 3700x related but I don't think it'd drop to 20s. i have a 2700x/3070 rig , I will report to you once I get into action in dogtown at your settings

try disabling vram bound applications like steam, discord and spotify before playing the game also. reduce vram clutter as much as possible in the background. you can disable hardware accerelation for Steam (accerelated web vies) and discord for example. they all use VRAM too

Last edited:

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
it could be both

phantom liberty is super vram bound with ray tracing, even at 1080p (internal resolution not matter much, mild reductions in vram)

try gtting afterburner rivatuner and take a look at that

try disabling rt lighting. that's the biggest vram consumer out of all ray tracing options. if that fixes the heavy fps drops, it is most likely vram related

it could also be 3700x related but I don't think it'd drop to 20s. i have a 2700x/3070 rig , I will report to you once I get into action in dogtown at your settings

try disabling vram bound applications like steam, discord and spotify before playing the game also. reduce vram clutter as much as possible in the background. you can disable hardware accerelation for Steam (accerelated web vies) and discord for example. they all use VRAM too

Thanks, I'm playing on GOG fwiw so I don't think steam was running at the time. Not sure I want to bother upgrading the CPU at this point. I think geforce experience has an overlay setting for GPU stats? I'll have to check that out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Spent quite some time yesterday trying to get a solid 60 fps in both combat and crowd heavy scenes with RT and found that RT medium just isnt doable unless i drop down to 4k dlss performance. And that point the difference in lighting is so minor that the drop to image quality is a bigger difference. I think sticking with RT reflections gets me very closed to a locked 60 fps but still drops to mid 50s in crowded areas and combat. Problem is that it still doesnt feel smooth like other games do when they drop below 60 fps on my gsync oled.

Tried to see if i could get path tracing to run at 4k dlss performance and i was able to get 30 fps just driving around. very surprising. but crowd and any major district in first person drops to 20 fps. switched to 1800p and dlss performance which should be 960p internal and was able to get over 35 fps in every scenario that looked way better than 1440p dlss balanced (same 960p internal resolution). but still not a very smooth experience. And still not as sharp as say 4k dlss quality in non rt mode.

Its fair to say that frame gen is essential in this game. Its a shame that outside of ray reconstruction in path tracing mode, they made zero upgrades to performance. maybe its because the game is more cpu bound now because of all the enhanced police and npc AI, but i expected more upgrades to the engine 3 years after it shipped in such a broken performance state.

yamaci17

Spent quite some time yesterday trying to get a solid 60 fps in both combat and crowd heavy scenes with RT and found that RT medium just isnt doable unless i drop down to 4k dlss performance. And that point the difference in lighting is so minor that the drop to image quality is a bigger difference. I think sticking with RT reflections gets me very closed to a locked 60 fps but still drops to mid 50s in crowded areas and combat. Problem is that it still doesnt feel smooth like other games do when they drop below 60 fps on my gsync oled.

Tried to see if i could get path tracing to run at 4k dlss performance and i was able to get 30 fps just driving around. very surprising. but crowd and any major district in first person drops to 20 fps. switched to 1800p and dlss performance which should be 960p internal and was able to get over 35 fps in every scenario that looked way better than 1440p dlss balanced (same 960p internal resolution). but still not a very smooth experience. And still not as sharp as say 4k dlss quality in non rt mode.

Its fair to say that frame gen is essential in this game. Its a shame that outside of ray reconstruction in path tracing mode, they made zero upgrades to performance. maybe its because the game is more cpu bound now because of all the enhanced police and npc AI, but i expected more upgrades to the engine 3 years after it shipped in such a broken performance state.

1800p dlss perf is 900p internal. but aside from that, even 4k dlss ultra performance will actually look better than 1440p dlss quality. don't ask me why or how lol. it most likely is because higher resolution input uses higher quality lods. only explanation really. some will say it is DLSS doing magic but no;

lok at this. it literally loads better textures and models for everything. this has nothing to do with "AI" upscaling. it literally lods native 4k lods and assets and textures. must be reducing some other redundant shader resolution to get that "performance" benefit.

your screen is native 4K, right? how do you handle the downscaling? I heard that usually default downscaling is pretty bad. I may suggest you using something like lossless scaling to scale from windowed 1800p to 2160p for instance. it might have some headroom and VRR issues though.

Thanks, I'm playing on GOG fwiw so I don't think steam was running at the time. Not sure I want to bother upgrading the CPU at this point. I think geforce experience has an overlay setting for GPU stats? I'll have to check that out.
here's what I got in initial combat sequence at your settings. you might be running into VRAM bound problems. are you using geforce experience replay feature or sorts? you may try disabling geforce experience overlay alltogether

this is with an inferior CPU at 3.7 ghz (2700x but downclocked to 3.7 ghz so that fans dont go crazy..)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1800p dlss perf is 900p internal. but aside from that, even 4k dlss ultra performance will actually look better than 1440p dlss quality. don't ask me why or how lol. it most likely is because higher resolution input uses higher quality lods. only explanation really. some will say it is DLSS doing magic but no;

lok at this. it literally loads better textures and models for everything. this has nothing to do with "AI" upscaling. it literally lods native 4k lods and assets and textures. must be reducing some other redundant shader resolution to get that "performance" benefit.

your screen is native 4K, right? how do you handle the downscaling? I heard that usually default downscaling is pretty bad. I may suggest you using something like lossless scaling to scale from windowed 1800p to 2160p for instance. it might have some headroom and VRR issues though.

here's what I got in initial combat sequence at your settings. you might be running into VRAM bound problems. are you using geforce experience replay feature or sorts? you may try disabling geforce experience overlay alltogether

this is with an inferior CPU at 3.7 ghz (2700x but downclocked to 3.7 ghz so that fans dont go crazy..)

I tried ultra performance at 4k. It looked smudgy and rough. For some reason performance to ultra performance is a massive downgrade.

I game on a 65 inch OLED which has GYSNC built in. I am unable to get 1800p set native in nvidia control panel (it crashes) but cyberpunk is one of the few games that let me select 1800p. I dont know if the tv is upscaling after that. im assuming it is.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member

Damn, that's way better performance than I'm getting. Could it really be that 2GB of extra vram? I'll mess around with task manager but it's crazy to me how big of a drop I'm getting on an arguably more powerful gpu. Could it also be you running in borderless window vs fullscreen? Might try that too

yamaci17

Damn, that's way better performance than I'm getting. Could it really be that 2GB of extra vram? I'll mess around with task manager but it's crazy to me how big of a drop I'm getting on an arguably more powerful gpu. Could it also be you running in borderless window vs fullscreen? Might try that too
we both have the same vram budget (8 gb)

yes I'm running borderless window too. I suggest everyone with limited vram budgets (8-10-12) to go and enable Dedicated and shared GPU memory usage in Details tab in task manager (right click the column, select colum, and then scroll down to find them and tick their boxes). It is very crucial for us to know how many resources we have available to the game. it is very critical and it can be helpful. although I think enduser shouldn't bother with such trifle (no 1060 user had to do this as they had ample amount of vram resources for anything that might use VRAM between 2016 and 2021). we however in a tight spot.

BuZijSg.png

DeaDPo0L84

So unfortunately where I am normally not put off by weird graphical issues assuming the pros outweigh the cons, I did end up turning off both RR and PT. PT when first introduced was/is amazing but it did introduce some odd issues with fences and metal surfaces, also character faces lost detail. Then RR came along promising to fix the issues of PT so I was like "hell yea lets go!". So it does but then it doesn't and also introduces other issues, like ghosting that many people have referenced.

I decided to go back to Psycho RT, everything maxed out, no RR or PT, also disabled bloom through a mod and it looks amazing still. I really hope Nvidia/ CDPR can be quick to resolve the issues between the recently introduced tech. It can legit look absolutely mind blowing most of the time, but when a lot of things suffer cause of the issues it introduces the pros do not outweigh the cons, for me at least.

This is with a 4090/13700K/DLSS Quality/3840x1600 setup.

LiquidMetal14

I'm aware. The highest I clocked on my 7800X3D/Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 is 16.5 today. Nothing higher than that. Averages just under 15GB usually. Unless they're measuring native 4k, I haven't seen that max yet. And that was in photo mode. I'll try native tomorrow to see.

S0ULZB0URNE

Someone mentioned that editing .json file allows to use standard RT with Ray Reconstruction and I can confirm it!

Runs and looks beautiful on 4070, I wanted settings like that from the beginning but game strangely doesn't allow it in menu. PT is way too heavy.

Will post screenshots later.
What fps?

proandrad

You are CPU bound. Notice how when your frametime spikes your GPU utilization drops to 70 to 80%. Using RivaTuner and capping your fps at 60 would also flatten out that frametime graph and give you a smoother experience.

Last edited:

Certinty

Driving around Dogtown on the Series X in quality mode is some of the worst performance i've ever come across in a game, far worse when being chased too.

I don't remember anything near this bad at launch anywhere else in the city.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Path tracing still is no where near ready for prime time. Even without the performance issue it’s still way too noisy looking. Like a really bad film grain that can’t be turned off.

LiquidMetal14

Is it me or rain weather looks absolute shit in this game? Like aggressively bad compared to the best on the market?
It's basic but has this aesthetic that makes sense for me.

I'm sure it was a performance based decision but it gives it this noir that it would change if it was a rain like in Arkham Knight.

To be clear, I'm not justifying that it shouldn't be better but rationalizing and hypothesizing about the probabilitiez son.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Not very happy with the performance on PS5, you can tell the console struggles. I hope a patch can improve it because some dips are very noticeable.

Top Bottom