• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

Has anyone had any issues with the FOV mod and the 60 fps hud mod for space ship battles? I went to nexusmods to download and there were lots of comments about those causing issues with the game.

nah, have stuck with -.5000, but i will give it a shot.

some people on reddit are saying to create a custom starfield ini file and set the bias setting in there. apparently nvidia profile inspector setting doesnt work in this game.

i think its crazy that a big company like Bethesda can fuck up a setting like this. reconstruction has been around since 2018 on nvidia cards, 2016 on consoles. i get that this is their first game since 2018 but their other studios have produced so many games since. Do they not get any help or knowledge sharing from arkhane? whats the point of having ID software under your publishing umbrella if you cant ask them simple questions?

What makes you think they listen mate?

We go through the exact same rigmarole for every single Bethesda release. It used to be max frame render ahead you needed to toggle in the nvcp.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why do you think Bethesda loves modders? Lol

In all seriousness though- how MS did not step in to help out if true is mindblowing.
Phil said that MS had ID Tech engineers help out Arkhane with Redfall. Also, Coalition and Playground games helped 343 with Halo Infinite. THat didnt help much lmao.

i wouldnt be surprised if these studios just have pride and dont really welcome outside help. I remember GG and ND talking about sharing tech knowledge like it was some rare thing in the industry. Like Pax said above, its possible that MS offered and they just refused or brushed it off. Some of this stuff like lack of hdr, fov and basic settings for textures just reeks of arrogance.

hollams

Gold Member
Phil said that MS had ID Tech engineers help out Arkhane with Redfall. Also, Coalition and Playground games helped 343 with Halo Infinite. THat didnt help much lmao.

i wouldnt be surprised if these studios just have pride and dont really welcome outside help. I remember GG and ND talking about sharing tech knowledge like it was some rare thing in the industry. Like Pax said above, its possible that MS offered and they just refused or brushed it off. Some of this stuff like lack of hdr, fov and basic settings for textures just reeks of arrogance.
I agree. The gunplay is improved over Fallout 4 but the AI is horrible. When I heard iD was involved I had hoped they helped with the combat which we found out they didn't and I attributed that to the devs thinking it was already good enough. Ugh...

winjer

Gold Member
I agree. The gunplay is improved over Fallout 4 but the AI is horrible. When I heard iD was involved I had hoped they helped with the combat which we found out they didn't and I attributed that to the devs thinking it was already good enough. Ugh...

I bet the professional programmers from id had a stroke, when they saw Bethesda's spaghetti code.

SlimySnake

Look what I just found in a PC Gamer article about the Sun not showing up on AMD cards. Yes, the sun in a game called starfield.

Todd Howard has confirmed that "we have AMD engineers in our code base working on FSR2 image processing and upscaling and it looks incredible." FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 (FSR2) is a far more impressive bit of upscaling tech compared with the first generation, and for Radeon gamers you're going to be more than happy.

So AMD engineers implemented FSR2 and somehow missed the LOD bias setting for FSR. unbelievable.

TIGERCOOL

nah, have stuck with -.5000, but i will give it a shot.

some people on reddit are saying to create a custom starfield ini file and set the bias setting in there. apparently nvidia profile inspector setting doesnt work in this game.
It works with inspector but seems a little buggy. Try Special K if you haven't yet, the LOD slider is built in specifically for this game and works perfectly and you can see exactly what it's doing in real time. Have had no issues with -1.5 on quality render scaling and above.

SlimySnake

It works with inspector but seems a little buggy. Try Special K if you haven't yet, the LOD slider is built in specifically for this game and works perfectly and you can see exactly what it's doing in real time. Have had no issues with -1.5 on quality render scaling and above.
Arent you running DLSS at 1440p though with an internal res of 1080p? Im running DLSS quality at 4k with 67% scaling so internal resolution would be 1440p. I dont know how this thing works but im assuming its different for each resolution.

I will try special K but John from DF said it messes with some other mods i want installed.

TIGERCOOL

Arent you running DLSS at 1440p though with an internal res of 1080p? Im running DLSS quality at 4k with 67% scaling so internal resolution would be 1440p. I dont know how this thing works but im assuming its different for each resolution.

I will try special K but John from DF said it messes with some other mods i want installed.
I'm rendering at 67% as well, so a bit below 1080p. Render scale seems to be the important factor. Again though, the slider is in real time so you can see any issues that may arise as you adjust without restarting your game.

Which mods are you concerned about? Reshade can have issues, but the Special K HDR customization can correct the gamma and saturation on top of removing most banding. Haven't had much need of reshade personally, I find the designer intent gets lost with most of those presets. There are workarounds though.

On top of that there are all of the general optimizations and latency improvents that come with it. Definitely worth a look imo.

JRW

The DLSS mod has been updated twice in the last 2 days (currently v1.1.1) I'm no longer experiencing random crashes when using it.

Buggy Loop

Look what I just found in a PC Gamer article about the Sun not showing up on AMD cards. Yes, the sun in a game called starfield.

So AMD engineers implemented FSR2 and somehow missed the LOD bias setting for FSR. unbelievable.

I don’t see a link?

Can’t be true… can it?

SlimySnake

I don’t see a link?

Can’t be true… can it?

Found this from todays article on the sun not shining on AMD GPUs.

Buggy Loop

AMD « so.. to bundle the game, the deal is no DLSS and ray tracing »

Bethesda « ray tracing is like sun rays right? »

AMD « yea kind of but »

Bethesda signs

This is legit amazing

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Closest to an "open cities" mod right now?
I tried it, it loads fast as you're not forced to wait through the black screen, getting in and out of the ship is almost instantaneous, same for some doors.
With a fast CPU and SSD it's clearly faster than having to wait for the black screen to end.
But you get some flashing images as stuff loads in front of you.

SlimySnake

Can someone explain why I am seeing this weird flickering/shimmering on paintings. its not just paintings either. Its on all similar menus in stores and other buildings. very annoying thing thats not there when using FSR. Though FSR has shimmering on pretty much everything else so its not really an alternative.

Using DLSS quality at 4k.

In both first and third person view.

Also, maybe hard to notice but shadows pop-in in some areas as i turn into a corridor. i went back and disabled rebar and dlss and did not notice any pop-in. The negative lod bias and texture super sampling setting doesnt help either.

I have deleted the cache and rebuilt it after restarting but that doesnt seem to help. Am i the only one seeing this?

Disable motion blur.
Disabling motion blur did it. thanks!

Note that this only happens with DLSS active. On native 4k, this was not a thing. I didnt remove the DLSS mod to see if this also occurs with FSR.

I like per object motion blur in games, but i guess im gonna have to turn this off.

Still no fix for shadows popping in. I set all shadow settings to max and it still happens, even in native resolution so i guess its just an engine thing.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Still no fix for shadows popping in. I set all shadow settings to max and it still happens, even in native resolution so i guess its just an engine thing.
There was a ton of shadow popin in Fallout 4 as well, so yeah, the engine is doodoo. Actually shadows were problematic forever in Bethesda games. You'd go in simple empty areas and your FPS would drop to low 40. Even now, on a high end PC, if you'd go to Corvega Assembly Plant in F4, your framerate will tank. The engine can't handle shadows.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Starfield Performance Improvements

Today, NVIDIA is releasing a Resizable BAR profile for Starfield which increases performance on GeForce RTX 40 Series and GeForce RTX 30 Series desktop and laptop GPUs. In our testing scenario, GeForce RTX 40 Series desktop GPUs see on average a 5% increase in performance. The Starfield Resizable BAR update will be pushed via an Over-The-Air (OTA) update from NVIDIA and will be automatically applied for gamers running the latest Game Ready Driver (537.34) or the previous release (537.17).

SlimySnake

Today, NVIDIA is releasing a Resizable BAR profile for Starfield which increases performance on GeForce RTX 40 Series and GeForce RTX 30 Series desktop and laptop GPUs. In our testing scenario, GeForce RTX 40 Series desktop GPUs see on average a 5% increase in performance. The Starfield Resizable BAR update will be pushed via an Over-The-Air (OTA) update from NVIDIA and will be automatically applied for gamers running the latest Game Ready Driver (537.34) or the previous release (537.17).
whats an over the air update?

Do i have to disable the changes i made to starfield in nvidia profile inspector?

Buggy Loop

whats an over the air update?

Do i have to disable the changes i made to starfield in nvidia profile inspector?

Good question

It seems they can push changes to profile inspector over internet, thus the OTA. Because as of now, even with the drivers installed, peoples are reporting that the nvidia profile inspector shows it as disabled. Will it be activated later today?

First time i notice OTA in drivers to be honest.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Driver is Live

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Wondering the same thing. I had already forced ReBAR using the profile inspector, which definitely made a difference.
Looks like it's the exact same changes that the new driver does.
I removed it before updating and checked after, it put the same settings back.

So if you kept it it did not change (or the driver would have replaced different settings).

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

new update, should fix all crashes. Enjoy free performance boost :)
Can anyone comment on the latency with this mod? I am concerned since there's no Reflec or other latency mitigation in this implementation.

Extra frames are nice but since I am currently getting 70-120 it's not the most urgent.

Mister Wolf

Can anyone comment on the latency with this mod? I am concerned since there's no Reflec or other latency mitigation in this implementation.

Extra frames are nice but since I am currently getting 70-120 it's not the most urgent.

Wow this version doesn't implement Reflex?

Azaroth

I could be wrong, but I think it does use Reflex. On that page for the mod, look at the info about the config.json. It allows you to configure which reflex mode to use, and by default is using "LowLatencyWithBoost". I'm using the mod and haven't noticed latency, but I also haven't been specifically looking for it.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Wow this version doesn't implement Reflex?
There is Reflex, it's literally written in the mod's description.

Mindman

What was the creative choice with the color filters that make the blacks on my OLED TV look like a 2000s LCD? Is it like a retro thing?
It's just something they did to make the planets feel a bit more unique and "alien." Looks awful though.

You should install one of the LUTs mods to fix it, if you haven't already.

Bojji

This free DLSS frame gen mod is quite great I think, I tested it right now after dozens of hours playing with PD DLSS.

Image quality is very similar but of course FPS is much higher, I can go from 58% to 66% (Balanced to Quality) res scaling now. Only think that I didn't like was screen tearing with high FPS, vsync from NVCP solves this issue.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I could be wrong, but I think it does use Reflex. On that page for the mod, look at the info about the config.json. It allows you to configure which reflex mode to use, and by default is using "LowLatencyWithBoost". I'm using the mod and haven't noticed latency, but I also haven't been specifically looking for it.
Oh nice, didn't realize that was possible. I knew the base game didn't have reflex and just assumed.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Patch notes :
First, an enormous thank you to all of you playing Starfield and your support. We are absolutely blown away by the response and all you love about the game. We’re also reading all your great feedback on what you’d like to see improved or added to the game. This is a game we’ll be supporting for years and years to come, so please keep all the feedback coming! Even if we don’t get to your requests immediately, we’d love to do it in the future, like city maps. Our priority initially is making sure any top blocker bugs or stability issues are addressed, and adding quality-of-life features that many are asking for.

This first update is a small hotfix targeted at the few top issues were are seeing. After that, expect a regular interval of updates that have top community requested features including:
  • Brightness and Contrast controls
  • HDR Calibration Menu
  • FOV Slider
  • Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
  • 32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
  • Eat button for food!
We’re also working closely with Nvidia, AMD, and Intel on driver support, and each update will include new stability and performance improvements.

Additionally, we are working on our built-in mod support (Creations) that will work across all platforms similar to what we’ve done with Skyrim and Fallout 4. This full support is planned to launch early next year. Until then, we know our PC community is already very active in the modding space and if you have any feedback on how we can make this better, please let us know . Modding and creating in our games will always be a vital and important part of who we are, and we love seeing the community get off to such a strong start.

Keep the feedback coming, we really do read it all, and thank you all again for taking this journey with us!

Bethesda Game Studios​

Update Version 1.7.29 - Fixes and Improvements​

Performance and Stability​

• Xbox Series X|S Improved stability related to installations.
  • Various stability and performance improvements to reduce crashes and improve framerate.

Quests​

• All That Money Can Buy: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.
  • Into the Unknown: Fixed an issue that could prevent the quest from appearing after the game is completed.
  • Shadows in Neon: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.

Official DLSS support and more stuff coming soon.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It doesn't say it's coming soon, just that they will add it.
"After that, expect a regular interval of updates"

They released that update one week after global launch, if this DLSS patch is next week it's "soon" enough for me.

On SteamDB they keep updating the DEV and QA branches with builds, the build number is way higher than the current patch build. So I guess maybe it's already being tested for some days and will go public if no issue. It can be next week or the following one.

To me one week or two is "soon", it's not like a month or more.

SlimySnake

• Brightness and Contrast controls
  • HDR Calibration Menu
  • FOV Slider
  • Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
  • 32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
  • Eat button for food!

Awesome!

Shows up fine on my Vega, I use the Pro drivers though.

Azaroth

Just a heads up. The game patch seems to break the Frame Generation mod. When I tried to launch the game, it crashes. Seems to be a common experience, going by the discussion on the mod forum. I uninstalled it and the game loads fine now. Since I know official DLSS support is coming, I'll just play without the mod (even if it gets updated) and wait for that.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Just a heads up. The game patch seems to break the Frame Generation mod. When I tried to launch the game, it crashes. Seems to be a common experience, going by the discussion on the mod forum. I uninstalled it and the game loads fine now. Since I know official DLSS support is coming, I'll just play without the mod (even if it gets updated) and wait for that.

Just tried and yeah..well that sucks.

GymWolf

I think id confirmed that they helped with blur implementation or some other minor graphic stuff, they didn't helped with the gunplay, and it frankly shows.

Barely better than f4 is not really an high bar and they completely removed gore so it end being better and worse at the same time.

GymWolf

D
Does it break the natural luts mod?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Just tried and yeah..well that sucks.
At least the DLSS2 bridge mod seems to work.
The DLSS3 mod will be fixed SOON I guess :D

D

Does it break the natural luts mod?
It should not, this mod just replaces textures, it's not a more complicated mod like the DLSS one.

GymWolf

At least the DLSS2 bridge mod seems to work.
The DLSS3 mod will be fixed SOON I guess :D

It should not, this mod just replaces textures, it's not a more complicated mod like the DLSS one.
Do you think it is gonna erase the improved enemy ia mod or that one is too simple aswell?

SlimySnake

Shows up fine on my Vega
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Do you think it is gonna erase the improved enemy ia mod or that one is too simple aswell?
I don't know this mod, is it "Improved Combat AI" ?
If so, it's just a bunch of console commands that are executed at launch, so it should still work.
Maybe just check that the line you had to add is still there.

I'd say that most mods that put files in the Data folder are safe, as they replace original files stored in the game's archives.

If a mod rely on the executable like the DLSS3 mod or Script Extender, they can break and need an update.

Top Bottom