• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm actually reconsidering things and realizing that it might be better to go with a previous-gen GPU rather than something currently on the cutting-edge. I'm primarily building it so that I can play the RE4 Remake, but I don't think I need a 4070 to do that. I haven't built a PC or gamed in 5+ years. There's going to be a lot of back-catalog things to keep me entertained. Additionally, if I get a so-so GPU now and then upgrade later, I can gift the old one to a family member that could use it.

So I think my plan is to play last-gen games for a year or two and then upgrade the GPU at a later time.

With that in mind, what GPU would fit in this situation? Maybe this 3060 Ti?
You keep going back to the 3060 Ti. There is literally no reason to go with that card at the current retail prices of $450. Paying $450 for that card is stupid. It's fucking stupid. If you're wanting something cheap to tide you over, you can get a 3060 Ti on ebay for around $300 used. It has risks for sure, but the savings could be worth it.

Here is a 3070 for the same price as the 3060 Ti. Seller says brand new and it comes with protection.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234957928434?epid=10047988426&hash=item36b49577f2:g:GboAAOSwGh5kK7-1&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4FQLDdWYNAvsx3xuSFuqcPbi3/Jp3wkNlOgQSqCuT+kAD7Twx1srkgRAr7xKWO9vJfVNTlIESHlgl5ryW+ljCaE4uYM/eEox3CXT4W0fk7Oc97Y2Hokm/n0RCteYeZTV7aDOMXnyJIeZ3Db8PClIQ4Qxs8GkV+hjQ+uwyzHaofqXSm1DudE5+ukCvpV7vsTw6t3OiGrOcN5qTOodZ+R10qyC7xux/IKHhCzE0N6wL10pmDTp03vGDiRvT7UshS5WJrX0ZADHN4M3wgcJ/tgv0sVGtJXiCZtLA62BuN4ZFLw/|tkp:Bk9SR-ztzbvrYQ&LH_ItemCondition=1000

If you don't want to use ebay, just get a 6800 with 16GB of RAM that might last a bit longer.

$450 for the 3060 Ti or $470 for the 6800. It's a no brainer which of the two is better. Get the 6800.
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-6800-gv-r68gaming-oc-16gd/p/N82E16814932382?Item=N82E16814932382&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=afc-ran-com-_-PCPartPicker&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=afc-ran-com-_-PCPartPicker&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-wLuM5mfYyUrhH86G6br6gQ

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nah i'll be fine with the 4080, moreover as I said I would need to change my PSU for a 4090 so we're looking at leat at 1850/1900€. My budget isn't unlimited and 1200€ for a GPU is already indecent :messenger_grinning_sweat:
How much wattage is your PSU? You can get by with a 750W PSU just fine on a 4090. It's cutting it kind of close don't get me wrong.

The 4080 is just such a piss poor value compared to the 4090 that I hate seeing people use it. That's not to say that the 4090 is a great value by any means, but the 4080 never made sense.

If it were $1000 with a 320-bit memory bus, it would be a 1000X better value. The 70 series should have gotten a 256-bit memory bus.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I've been grabbing parts here and there for a new build.

Should I buy DDR5 right now since it's so cheap? Is 5600mhz good enough? I'm going with 32gb. For just a bit over $100 for Corsair, I'm finding it hard to pass up.

There's always a chance prices go back up but it seems memory and storage have had a downward trajectory for a while.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

Should I buy DDR5 right now since it's so cheap? Is 5600mhz good enough? I'm going with 32gb. For just a bit over $100 for Corsair, I'm finding it hard to pass up.

There's always a chance prices go back up but it seems memory and storage have had a downward trajectory for a while.
Personally I'd go with at least 6ghz memory but 5.6ghz mem will get the job done

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

If you have an AMD system get 6000. Get low CL rating too.

Puscifer

Ok it's time to consider upgrading the tired, thick ikea malm desk.
Since I am upgrading, why not get one of these fancy motorized desks? I am a tall 1,88cm guy. The secretlab chair is a tall guy. The malm desk it a small guy. it's 72cm.
It is fine for the most part but because the countertop is so thick (5cm), it is annoying to slide a chair under there or game with a controller sometimes.
Also, and this is more important. The ikea malm is 140cm x 65cm. So a bit more depth could be useful. Not sure if I need more width, since as you see on the picture, it is perfect. I could go for 180cm width but then I need to remove one shelving unit on the left and put ps5 on the desk. Not sure if it's a good idea.

I am not working from home and I do not plan to use my pc standing, but I would like the ability to have different console gaming height, pc gaming height or movies height.... or just be able to tune it without reassembling the whole desk.
Anyone used this? I like the sloped edges and reviews say it's sturdy and don't wobbe too much. I know it's an overkill but who cares. All I do is sit in front of the pc all the time. Might as well do it correctly.

Top is my eyesight level when I sit correctly, lower line is when I slouch for console gaming a bit more
9H1c7jm.jpg

I hope you didn't buy that desk just yet. I had that one and honestly for the price it's not worth it. You could easily buy legs and a 30 inch/ 76cm long desktop much cheaper and get better quality out of it.

Top was 100 USD, dual motor and legs that hold out 260

Standing desk are a scam, dead ass, if anything breaks you might as well throw it in the trash so save as much money as you can, where and when you can when it comes to these. The only standing desk company I can personally ever approve of is deskhaus due to their long term support.

uj0DLlF.png

That being said, anyone have recommendations for sound absorbing foam because currently these are starting to peel and it's pissing me off because it sure as hell wasn't cheap.

Last edited:

I_D

Yes, yes and yes.
None.
Well, just make sure your screens are plugged in lol.

Settings are set per screen so you can pair any screen you want. If you goal is to run a triple screen setup (as in a game displayed on all screens to get a wider FOV) I won't comment on that since I don't know. But if it's just a regular setup where you play on 1 monitor, you're all good.

This is very good news.
Many thanks.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hope you didn't buy that desk just yet. I had that one and honestly for the price it's not worth it. You could easily buy legs and a 30 inch/ 76cm long desk much cheaper and get better quality out of it.

Top was 100 USD, dual motor and legs that hold 260

Standing desk are a scam, dead ass, if anything breaks you might as well throw it in the trash might as well save as much money as you can, where you can, when you can when it comes to these. The only standing desk company I can personally ever approve of is personally is deskhaus due to their long term support.

uj0DLlF.png

That being said, anyone have recommendations for sound absorbing foam because currently these are starting to peel and it's pissing me off because it sure as hell wasn't cheap.
Thanks. No. I’ve not bought a new desk yes.
You are probably right and it’s a waste of money buying motorised desk. I am still thinking about it and if Inwant to change the desk at all in this case. Mainly Inwanted something a tiny bit higher and better looking. Normal secretlab Magnus looks about right except for it’s stupid price :p
edit: That said - I've got a nice bonus and wasting money would feel good about now lol

Last edited:

Raphael

If you will be going for x3d then it doesnt matter much. If not x3d get 6000 and 30 (idealny)- 34CL.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Buy this 6950XT 16GB for $650 or wait a few days to buy the 4070?
I'm kind of in the same boat, but deliberating between a $539 6800 XT or a $599 4070. A lot of the 6000-series cards are coming with TLOU 1, while they haven't said if the 4070 will come with a game. Right now the 4000-series cards are coming with Redfall Bite Back Edition, so it's possible the 4070 will. I'm expecting the 4070 to be about as powerful as a 6800 XT in relative performance across many games. Newegg has a some other 6950s at $650 or below, as well. I'm going to wait for 4070 reviews, or at least performance leaks.

4070:
-Better RT perf
-DLSS 2 and 3
-CUDA support
-Redfall?
-Cheaper?

6950 XT:
-Better raster perf
-More VRAM
-Better bang-for-buck(cost per frame)?
-TLOU 1(At least on Newegg cards)

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wait a few days. Spending $650 on a last gen Radeon card seems like a bad idea (unless you don't care about RT).

That's just a result of their MSRPs being over-priced for the market.
Buying a sub 12 gig vram card seems like a bad idea currently. Buying a 12 gig vram card seems a little like rolling the dice.

MikeM

Well five months into my build, I went ahead with my 2nd upgrade:

- 32GB DDR4 3600mhz cl18 ram

First upgrade was 6700xt to a 7900xt. I think i’m good now for 3-4 years.

Sleepwalker

Starting to see 4080s at around 1k usd before taxes here, nice. At what price point do you guys think the 4080 makes sense? I'm mostly looking at a 4090 but these are starting to get tempting

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Starting to see 4080s at around 1k usd before taxes here, nice. At what price point do you guys think the 4080 makes sense? I'm mostly looking at a 4090 but these are starting to get tempting
The 4080 would be decent value at $999, good value at $899, excellent value at $799, the price of the 4070 Ti.

CGNoire

But what do you currently have, and what do you need?
Do you need just a tower? A monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, etc.?

First let me say please excuse me for taking so long to respond I lost track of this post after reading it at first and being too tired to type out a response right then.

I need everything minus the Monitor since using a tv instead.

What my goal is to build a system that can play all future PS5 era UE5 games maxed out including RTX features at atleast a solid 30fps "Native 4k" (i have zero interest in upscalling artifacts) all while not suffering from performance issues due to deompression etc....

My biggest concerns right now is....

1. Is the I9 13900k fast enough to accomplish this all while decompressing the texture data?

2. Whats the current state of Direct Storage?

3. If you own a 4090 how does it handle native 4k UE5 "compiled exes"?

Last edited:
Okay guys, I need some kind of basic speakers for this new monitor I ended up getting. It has built in ones, but they sound like it's coming from a tin can and the overall volume level is quite low.. My old Samsung monitor had very serviceable speakers, though I'm not a huge sound quality nerd. So looking for something solid but affordable, I don't want to spend a lot on the sound necessarily so something utilitarian would be fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

KTT

4070 is out now.

I still have no idea what GPU to get >.<

4070... 4090... 7900xt...

From what I've seen with Raytracing in YouTube videos and whatnot, it doesn't seem that appealing to me. Looks kinda gimmicky and forced. I don't see the value in having a bunch of shiny puddles on the ground.

But the 40xx NVidia cards also offer DLSS3 which, in my understanding, is fairly widely-adopted and will significantly extend the life of the card by using AI to generate extra frames during gameplay. So I do see value in that.

But the AMD cards have so much VRAM for lower prices. And according to the video posted above, lots of VRAM is essential today and in the future.

The 4070 with 12GB VRAM is a tough one for me. And at $600+, it doesn't feel right.

But I can't decide what to do. To make things more complicated, I honestly don't know if I'd be able to appreciate the difference between 1440 and 4k. I haven't played PC games in like 10 years.

At this point, I feel like I have a decent understanding of the current GPU market and the options available, but I don't know what best suits me. The proprietary features offered by NVidia add value, but it's unclear to me how much.

I'm kinda leaning toward going for a 7900XT or 6950XT but the power draw and lack of DLSS are holding me back a bit.

Hopefully I figure it out soon so I can start playing RE4 at least :D

Sleepwalker

4070 is out now.

From what I've seen with Raytracing in YouTube videos and whatnot, it doesn't seem that appealing to me. Looks kinda gimmicky and forced. I don't see the value in having a bunch of shiny puddles on the ground.

But the 40xx NVidia cards also offer DLSS3 which, in my understanding, is fairly widely-adopted and will significantly extend the life of the card by using AI to generate extra frames during gameplay. So I do see value in that.

But the AMD cards have so much VRAM for lower prices. And according to the video posted above, lots of VRAM is essential today and in the future.

The 4070 with 12GB VRAM is a tough one for me. And at $600+, it doesn't feel right.

But I can't decide what to do. To make things more complicated, I honestly don't know if I'd be able to appreciate the difference between 1440 and 4k. I haven't played PC games in like 10 years.

At this point, I feel like I have a decent understanding of the current GPU market and the options available, but I don't know what best suits me. The proprietary features offered by NVidia add value, but it's unclear to me how much.

I'm kinda leaning toward going for a 7900XT or 6950XT but the power draw and lack of DLSS are holding me back a bit.

Haha we are mostly in the same boat, trying to find best bang for buck at 4k. Everything keeps sending me back to the 4090 but it would also mean new power supply.

iQuasarLV

Hey guys. Is the 10th gen Intel CPUs going to hold back a 6950XT? At $650 I want to pull the trigger on one, but not sure if the system will handle it.

Intel I9-10850
32GB DDR4-3200

Mercador

4070 is out now.

Same boat as well. I was waiting for the 4070 release to change my gaming PC, running on 1070. Now, I'm not even sure to go with 4070... At some point, there was speculation on a 4070 16gb and I was still hoping for it. Now, it's 6950XT or 4070. I really don't know.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If a company like Asus makes an Intel mobo and amd mobo, does the Intel board still have superior quality/features or are they equal these days?

Have the AM5 long boot times been fixed? Does AMD still have usb issues?

OverHeat

« generous god »
If a company like Asus makes an Intel mobo and amd mobo, does the Intel board still have superior quality/features or are they equal these days?

Have the AM5 long boot times been fixed? Does AMD still have usb issues?
With 4 sticks of ram mine is fucking slow to boot

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

It's cheap and will get cheaper.

For AMD you want 6000 CL32 or 30. I got a CL32 kit with custom timings to CL30.

Intel is higher in the 6600-7400 pending on availability. Both are fast.

Rossco EZ

can anybody help me with a few things, my bluetooth keeps cutting out whenever i connect my airpods or my steelseries headset. updated drivers and done a fresh install too but nothing seems to be fixing it. (edit: i think ive sorted out the bluetooth issue, uninstalled the wifi driver which i dont need cause its connected via ethernet anyway)

whenever i set my fps above 144 my screen goes black like a crash and then i get a pop up saying amd detects a driver is out of date, ive checked windows update and amd adrenalin software and no other updates are showing.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
That's the Embody, right? How tall are you and how are you liking it? I need a new chair and I'm having trouble deciding.
Yep Embody I’m 5”9 and I love it. Just ordered the atlas headrest to make it perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom