• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Horizon Forbidden West PC vs PS5: Enhanced Features, Performance Tests + Image Quality Boosts!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

• On a NVMe drive and a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, the game load a little faster on PC (5.95s) vs PS5 (6.83s)
  • The game does use DirectStorage but not GPU decompression due to issues with driver scheduling and it being too restrictive
  • Shader pre-compilation takes a minute on a Ryzen 5 3600 and 28.13 seconds on a Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • The game sitll pre-compiles shaders in the background when in-game on extra CPU threads. He has not seen stutters but does not rule them out
  • Minor graphical upgrades compared PS5. AF on PS5 is usually 4x but variable, on PC, you can increase it up to 16x
  • Better LOD and distant terrains on PC at Very High settings compared to PS5
  • 1800p with DLSS Performance (900p internal) looks better than PS5's Performance Mode
  • 1440p with DLAA also looks better than PS5's Performance Mode
  • 1440p with DLSS and DSR set to 60fps on a 2070 looks comparable to PS5's Performance Mode
  • An RTX 3070 at 1440p High Settings isn't quite enough to reach 60fps, dipping to the 50s, but with DRS, it stays at 60fps
  • An RTX 3070 at 1800p DLSS DRS 60 and High Settings is good enough for a 60fps experience
  • An RTX 2070S at 1440p DLSS DRS 60 and High Settings is good enough for a 60fps experience but has drops into the 50s. Recommends a 2080/S for a locked 60fps
  • 8GB GPUs are usually fine at 1440p but exhibit some issues at 1800p after or during cutscenes or after fast traveling, fps can drop hard and the game page files
  • Ryzen 5 3600 is good enough for 60fps most of the time but when it gets hectic, it can drop to the upper 50s
  • Minor issues with the opening sequence playback where the video is a bit stuttery because it does not target 30fps like on PS5
  • No word on DLSS Frame Generation and no FSR Frame Generation option at the moment
  • Optimized settings video coming in later

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ny06x3Q.png

Direct storage putting in work.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Typical Alex throwing around 'far superior' when there isn't too much difference (the difference is there but hardly 'far superior')
Gauging his subjective view on what is and isnt "far" superior is silly.
You are doing the exact same thing....in your opinion it isnt far superior in his it is.

Stop it.

Welcome back.

Hahaha thanks.
The dark place wasnt fun.

yamaci17

Welcome back.
I told you or someone else that Digital foundry wouldn't have guts to compare 3070/2070 8 gb gpu directly to ps5 in nixxes ports (due to weird vram performance scaling). it seems like i've been proven correct :) it could be Gaiff Gaiff i dont remember. but im not surprised. just like ratchet and spiderman, instead of sanely streaming textures, game destroys GPU performance. as such, he didn't have the guts to do a direct comparison

someone told me they didnt do it due to DSR and said that they would do so as forbidden west has a fixed resolution mode or something. whoever that was, I eagerly wait their explanation as to why digital foundry didnt do direct comparisons this time on gpu performance :)

Last edited:

Gaiff

I told you or someone else that Digital foundry wouldn't have guts to compare 3070/2070 8 gb gpu directly to ps5 in nixxes ports (due to weird vram performance scaling). it seems like i've been proven correct :) it could be Gaiff Gaiff i dont remember. but im not surprised. just like ratchet and spiderman, instead of sanely streaming textures, game destroys GPU performance. as such, he didn't have the guts to do a direct comparison
It's a preview video but he did mention the game dropping hard on 8GB GPUs sometimes when playing at 1800p and recommends either 1440p or playing with Medium textures instead of High. For the most part, they're fine but there are instances when they can run out of VRAM.

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
I dont have this game or a PS5, but watching the YT DF review It looks incredible to me.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Are there equivalent settings again between PS and PC? Medium again or not?

Last edited:

yamaci17

He said that will be in the next video, this was a preview event.
I hope he makes a direct comparison between ps5 at equivalent settings to 2070 in that video then

I'd stand corrected happily so. but i dont think he will still have guts to do it. game clearly tanks GPU bound performance heavily with PS5 equivalent textures at PS5 output resolutions.

Gaiff

why not compare the PS5 40fps mode? Either way, differences look minor, RT in this game would have been nice.
Because then you would have complained about him not comparing it to Quality Mode.

The focus is Performance Mode with Quality Mode as another reference because almost everyone on PC will target 60fps, not 30 or 40.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I hope he makes a direct comparison between ps5 at equivalent settings to 2070 in that video then

I'd stand corrected happily so. but i dont think he will still have guts to do it. game clearly tanks GPU bound performance heavily with PS5 equivalent textures at PS5 output resolutions.
Might be difficult to do. I thought this game didn't use DRS, but it does. Plus it uses checkerboard rendering on PS5 and I don't know if it's available on PC. If it isn't, it makes a direct comparison effectively impossible.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
why not compare the PS5 40fps mode? Either way, differences look minor, RT in this game would have been nice.
no one plays 40 fps on PCs.

besides, 40 fps mode also uses checkerboarding. Its just a slightly higher resolution base. 4.1 million pixels vs 2.8 million pixels of their 1800p cb solution.

Honestly, i was disappointed by the 4kcb implementation. i was hoping for a native 4k 40 fps solution with drs. Seems like they didnt have any GPU headroom left to get 40 fps even when dropping to native 1800p.

They shouldve just pulled a Kojipro and offered a native 4k 60 fps mode in widescreen. You get black bars yes but they are not noticeable on an OLED and you get native 4k quality with an enhanced FOV. While saving on almost 40% of the GPU that couldve be used to push frames to 40 fps. This game looks perfect in widescreen.

Gaiff

I’m not crying at all, I just want him to showcase facts rather than this hyperbolic spin job
Yes, you are.

You posted this:
Pretty much

Guy is a clown

In the same breath he’ll say the ps5 pro isn’t worth it but sperg out on some small insignificant setting on a pc port

Hate this guy
Then came back with this:

How many times did Alex say FAR SUPERIOR…and yet?

GIF by Tokkingheads
Like seriously, it upsets you that much?

Top Bottom