• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry — RTX 4070 Super vs PS5: How Much Faster/Better Are Today's Mid-Range GPUs?

DaGwaphics

Even excluding CPU and motherboard from the equation, you need FAST RAM (probably 32 GB at this point) and a very fast SSD

Unless you are suggesting the 4070 Super as a simple GPU upgrade from a very expensive existing system

Without context and the FULL build specs, it's a meaningless experiment

I haven't seen that high/fast RAM requirement become an issue yet. Most everything getting released today can do just fine on 16GB of the slowest DDR4 you can find (2133? or maybe it was 1866 or something like that).

A few have saturated 16GB quite quickly, but it seems like that is still holding for now. If I were building a new system I would go with 32GB of something reasonable though.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It seems to be as valuable as any of the other information provided in a GPU review, tbh.

The Office I Give Up GIF

DaGwaphics

It's just a data point in a video with a lot of other data points. Find the charts that fit your usage and look at the results there. 🤷‍♂️

That's what I like about a lot of the zWORMz GPU reviews. He doesn't limit himself entirely to the most obvious use case. He'll be running a 3050 at 4k DLSS performance just to try it and things like that. People don't just use these GPUs in the way that AMD and Nvidia market them to you (which is typically whatever encourages the bigger spend, $400 1080p GPUs and so on).

I don't see an issue with a comparison to the current-gen console baseline, even if it is a 4090 review. It won't be useful to some, it might be for others.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Eh....if I want to know how much better a GPU performs then I'm going to want to know that in comparison to other GPUs. Not consoles. If I'm going to compare PC to console then that is system to system and at that point, we have to include price.
Other GPUs and consoles. The more comparisons the better. And price for the console doesn't matter until it can run everything the GPU can. Only prices relevant is other GPUs prices.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Other GPUs and consoles. The more comparisons the better. And price for the console doesn't matter until it can run everything the GPU can. Only prices relevant is other GPUs prices.

Ok.....don't see the use, but if it helps you then all good.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Ok.....don't see the use, but if it helps you then all good.
Parroting myself, I buy my video cards based on how better in performance it is compared to the "best" console. This video is exactly what this is about. What performance should I expect.

scydrex

What's funny is that 4070 super is a 3080 performance. and 3080 was 700$ at the release in 2020.
and thats almost what 4070 super is today.... so honesty, nvidia is making fools of us all selling the same performance for the same money 4 years later.
Damn... it should have been that the 4060 have the same performance as the 3080.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You are conflating components and systems my man. Convo is going in circles now. I’m done.
Doesn't matter being a system or just a component, because I can change the other components on the GPU system if after I buy the GPU the "rest" is not enough.

shamoomoo

If it doesn't help why this matter? Do you see anyone complaining when a weaker than a console GPU is being compared to a console?
When has that ever occurred? Also, what's the context? The evolution of GPU performance from different generation or seeing what was achieved with limited resources?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Same I found this interesting.
Right? Almost all games are made based on consoles performance so what would be the best system to base your PC, I wonder...

When has that ever occurred? Also, what's the context? The evolution of GPU performance from different generation or seeing what was achieved with limited resources?
Like the infamous gtx 750Ti vs PS4.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You do see this some on the cheapest GPUs. How close can these perform in comparison the consoles etc, what are compromises and that kind of thing.

AngelMuffin

Isn’t the PS5 GPU equivalent to like a 2070 Super or something? What’s the point of comparing it to a card 2 gens ahead?

Bojji

Isn’t the PS5 GPU equivalent to like a 2070 Super or something? What’s the point of comparing it to a card 2 gens ahead?
Isnt a 2070 super the ps5 equivalent?

Games and drivers are not optimized to Turing anymore so it's losing more compared to Ampere and Ada in new titles but from strict hardware perspective 2070S/2080 is equivalent to PS5 GPU (but better in RT). But in new games it won't perform like PS5 equivalent and it's VRAM limited.

Probably not using a similar CPU to the PS5, so it's not even a good comparison anyway. If they wanted to show the GPU difference then all else should be similar.

They are using GPU limited places so CPU is irrelevant in this comparison.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yeah, why not? I don't see why not compare to that too.

Already explained several times in the thread.
I am lazy and don't want to read everything lol but I just feel if you are going to put them against each other, everything else should be as equal as possible. It's not really a GPU test, it's a full system test against PS5 with its 3600 like CPU.

Mr Moose

It's taken from graphics modes on PS5. Games could be CPU limited in performance modes.
They use perf mode with PS5 settings in Cyberpunk though.
It's not a war, it's a review.
Yeah, just thought it was a bit weird if it's just a GPU test against the PS5. It's more interesting to see if the other specs would be as close to console as possible. He did it recently.

Last edited:

Bojji

This part.
I mean it's an interesting test, but it's also pointless especially if they don't mention the full specs of the PC.
I am rocking a shitty 3600 and a 3060, I want to know what my PC can do lol.

Yeah I don't know why they used this, performance mode is more than likely CPU limited in some places on consoles, especially when driving.

They did tests of Xbox series CPU in PC and 3600 is pretty much always faster:

Last edited:
I think people are reading too much into this comparison. PS5 is one of the most common gaming platforms in the world right now and offers a great feature set with decent performance, so of course it's going to be used as a standard of comparison when reviewing other hardware.

I know many people might not see it that way given that the video is from Digital Foundry and I don't blame you guys, their rhetoric surrounding Xbox and Playstation has been kind of biased since 2016, this has been one of several problems but yes it's left a sour taste in many.

Damn... it should have been that the 4060 have the same performance as the 3080.

How much VRAM did the 3080 have?

Anyways don't blame Nvidia they're doing what any company does when there's no competition.

Edit a good example from my country is ASML. They can basically charge whatever they want for their chip making machines.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I don't have a PS5 yet and after watching that video I don't want one. Can someone link me to some good $450 gaming rigs that include the superior 4070?
I will give you a link after you give me one with a PS5 that can do everything or more than a 4070 can.

DaGwaphics

The clip that got some people all riled up is an excerpt from a GPU review video. They are using the PS5 performance as a control reference. Developers are not, and never did design content around a 2070 or the 3070, or the 4070, however these games are largely designed around the capabilities of the PS5 (previously PS4).

While I'll agree that DF could use a chart or two that compares more PC parts (they only compare the super to the 7800, 3070, 4070 and 4070ti here), adding in this reference to a control is not a big deal. More reviewers should include it, just as a point of reference. You wouldn't even need the side by side comparisons or any of that, just a chart. I've seen many knock high framerate monitors because you have to run everything on low to get that and it's ugly, having a chart that says this is how high you can go and maintain PS5 level visuals can flip that script around.

Last edited:
Reading some of the replies in this thread you would think the Series S is the best gaming platform out there. Sure it's not as powerful as a PS5 but it's way cheaper and to some that is all that matters.
PS5 usually performs 2 to 3 times (100% to 200%) better than XSS while costing about 50% more. XSS is the worst performance / dollar machine out there bar the Switch. And DF will never do such a comparison with their loved XSS (or XSX for that matter).

Last edited:

Zathalus

PS5 usually performs 2 to 3 times (100% to 200%) better than XSS while costing about 50% more. XSS is the worst performance / dollar machine out there bar the Switch. And DF will never do such a comparison with their loved XSS (or XSX for that matter).
During Christmas the Series S was $200 while the Series X was $350 - obviously way better then the PS5 then isn't it? After all price to performance (or just price, the arguments change so frequently) seems to be so important?

Or maybe the price to performance issue doesn't really matter that much, considering the price to performance of a 4070 Super PC isn't that much different from a PS5 in the first place when you factor in DLSS and RT.

MikeM

Reading some of the replies in this thread you would think the Series S is the best gaming platform out there. Sure it's not as powerful as a PS5 but it's way cheaper and to some that is all that matters.
For a lot of people/families, it absolutely is.

Top Bottom