• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA launches GeForce RTX 40 SUPER series starting January 27: $999 RTX 4080S, $799 RTX 4070 TiS and $599 RTX 4070S

Draugoth

Gold Member
NVIDIA-GEFORCE-RTX-40-SUPER-HERO-2000x1040.jpg

NVIDIA Founders Edition cards for some of the latest GPUs have been sent out to reviewers. The RTX 4070 SUPER and 4080 SUPER are among these models set to receive this reference edition.

In terms of pricing, the RTX 4080 SUPER is slated to be priced at $999, which is $200 less than the launch price of the non-SUPER version, RTX 4080. NVIDIA appears to be confirming earlier speculations that the RTX 4080S and 4070TiS will replace the current models in their product lineup. The updated chart no longer includes references to these specific SKUs.

The RTX 4070 Ti SUPER is set to take the place of the RTX 4070 Ti non-SUPER at a price point of $799. Simultaneously, the RTX 4070 SUPER is expected to be priced at $599 in retail, while the existing non-SUPER model is officially confirmed to have a revised MSRP of $599.

GeForce RTX 40 SUPER pricing, Source: NVIDIA

As we saw before, NVIDIA is focusing on the performance of their shaders, ray tracing, and tensor cores instead of their CUDA core specs. Nevertheless, NVIDIA RTX 4080 SUPER is to feature 10240 CUDA cores, 16GB GDDR6X memory (23 Gbps) and TGP (Total Graphics Power) of 320W. But NVIDIA claims that this model will actually require only around 246W when playing and 15W when idle. NVIDIA marketing claims that this card offers “4K Full RT Gaming and Super-Fast Gen AI” but also 2x the performance of RTX 3080Ti (more on that in the paragraph below). The RTX 4080 SUPER will launch on January 31.

The RTX 4070 Ti SUPER is to feature 8448 CUDA cores and 16GB GDDR6X memory. While it ships with a TGP of 285W, the average gaming power is estimated at 226W and 12W when the card is idle. The memory upgrade is undoubtedly the most noteworthy feature of this SKU. NVIDIA claims that RTX 4070 Ti SUPER will offer “2.5x the performance of RTX 3070 Ti”, but one should not be deceived, as this data is referring to DLSS Frame Generation support in some titles. Officially, RTX 4070 Ti SUPER launches on January 24th.

P3le3xX.png

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That spec sheet really just makes me realize how far ahead the 4090 is from everything else. What an absolute beast of a card.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Interesting to see them correct the pricing, but i dont think it goes too far. The specs on these super cards dont look too hot. maybe a 5-10% performance increase max. Still think these cards are $100 more than what they should be.

Will wait for the benchmarks to confirm. If these are 20% more powerful then i might pick up the 4080. Right now, cant justify spending $1,200 on a card thats not even 50% more powerful than my 3080.

Leonidas

Solid update. No regrets getting my 4070 last year at $600 since I've enjoyed it for 8 months or so by the time these release. I'll stick with my 4070 for another year.
Interesting to see them correct the pricing, but i dont think it goes too far. The specs on these super cards dont look too hot. maybe a 5-10% performance increase max. Still think these cards are $100 more than what they should be.

Will wait for the benchmarks to confirm. If these are 20% more powerful then i might pick up the 4080. Right now, cant justify spending $1,200 on a card thats not even 50% more powerful than my 3080.
4070S and 4070 TiS should be 10-15% faster than standard. 4080S seems like only 5% though. The good thing about 4080S is the $200 price MSRP drop.

4070ti super is the most interesting card. Curious to see the benchmarks compared to the vanilla 4070ti.
Should be 10-15% ahead 4070 Ti, which should be slightly faster than the 7900 XT in raster and a good bit faster than 7900 XT in RT.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
4080 Super looks to be maybe 5-10% faster than the 4080.

Price is fine at least.

Personally glad I didn't wait for this and just bought a 4090 a couple months ago instead.
I mean, the price isn't fine but compared to $1200, it's certainly better. NVIDIA sought to normalize $1000+ 80 cards and they've achieved it. People think the 4080S at $1000 is good because we had the regular one for $1200.

Same way that the $1600 4090 looks great compared to the $1200 4080 or $1500 3090. They're manipulating crowd psychology.

Last edited:

Bojji

Good stuff, I will buy 4070Ti Super in few months. With 16GB of VRAM this card will be ok for the next few years.

Jinzo Prime

Quick math suggests that the 2080 Super and the 2070 Ti Super cost about the same per Cuda core, so you might as well get the one with more cores. The 2070 Super is cheaper per core, however it has less of everything else. It's going to come down to benchmarks.

Last edited:

mrcroket

What is the point of the 4080 super? It's almost the same gpu as the 4080, probably even with a slight overclock they can be matched. In the meantime the 4090 is still playing in a class of its own.

Senua

I mean, the price isn't fine but compared to $1200, it's certainly better. NVIDIA sought to normalize $1000+ 80 cards and they've achieved it. People think the 4080S at $1000 is good because we had the regular one for $1200.

Same way that the $1600 4090 looks great compared to the $1200 4080 or $1500 3090. They're manipulating crowd psychology.
It's funny how easily led us humans are with this stuff because it really does work! I've even fallen victim to it too in the past, those smart marketing goons!

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Best GPU ive ever bought.
Agreed. I made the right call when I bought it.

reposting from the other thread:

impressive for 4080s and 4070ti super.

both of these cards are really good with their mem bandwidth and 16gb as well.

price is impressive for both. mainly the 4080s. the 4080 was more powerful than the 7900xtx ( about the same in resta and way more powerful in ray tracing ). now this is even more powerful + better ray tracing for the same price as the 7900xtx msrp. not to mention it has dlss and dlss 3.5 that is by default better than anything FSR.

anyone who picks up 7900xtx vs 4080s must have something wrong in his head lol.

Ywap

What is the point of the 4080 super? It's almost the same gpu as the 4080, probably even with a slight overclock they can be matched. In the meantime the 4090 is still playing in a class of its own.
Agreed, even at $999 it still feels like an overpriced mid-range card 👎

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That spec sheet really just makes me realize how far ahead the 4090 is from everything else. What an absolute beast of a card.
There is nothing beast about 4090.
It is almost shamefully just brute forcing power + cheating fake frames.
You are not paying for optimization and better efficiency.
The card is bigger and draws more power and costs more money.

None of this is worth the money and we all know it.

GHG

Oh yeah. 7900 was nice but it became clear that nVidia is the only option on the high-end if you want proper RT performance and quality image upscaling.

Yeh I think AMD GPU's have their place but it's more so at the value/APU end of the market.

Enjoy it, I think those of us that have them will have no available upgrade until next year at the earliest. Not that an upgrade is needed though in all honesty.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You can't help yourself with the shit takes, can you?
There is nothing beast about 4090.
Besides the fact that it's about 30% faster than its closest competitor in rasterization and mops the floor with it by 50%+ in ray tracing and this advantage can balloon up to over 80% in some cases?
It is almost shamefully just brute forcing power + cheating fake frames.
What the fuck does that even mean? You need more shaders for better performance and this will inevitably lead to higher power consumption. Lovelace is currently the most power efficient architecture on the market.
You are not paying for optimization and better efficiency.
That's the job of the dev. Last I checked, NVIDIA didn't develop games.
The card is bigger and draws more power and costs more money.
Because it's fucking faster? Did you somehow expect it to draw less power than other cards but be stronger? You were expecting NVIDIA to rewrite the laws of thermodynamics?
None of this is worth the money and we all know it.
And you should have just stopped at that. Rest of your post is nonsense as always.

ahtlas7

Let’s hope they put enough product on the shelf so people don’t have to buy from alley way scalpers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You can't help yourself with the shit takes, can you?

Besides the fact that it's about 30% faster than its closest competitor in rasterization and mops the floor with it by 50%+ in ray tracing and this advantage can balloon up to over 80% in some cases?

What the fuck does that even mean? You need more shaders for better performance and this will inevitably lead to higher power consumption. Lovelace is currently the most power efficient architecture on the market.

That's the job of the dev. Last I checked, NVIDIA didn't develop games.

Because it's fucking faster? Did you somehow expect it to draw less power than other cards but be stronger? You were expecting NVIDIA to rewrite the laws of thermodynamics?

And you should have just stopped at that. Rest of your post is nonsense as always.
There is nothing beast about it.
You pay 2k, you expect 2k power.
if it was "magically beastly", it would be 3x the performance of 50% less expensive card.
it;s not. you pay more and that's what you get.. barely.

hinch7

Shows you how conditioned we are to think that a '80 class' card for $1000 is reasonable. Still much better prices and specs than before but still too much.

Also AMD must be sweating a bit with their lineup and prices rn. Time to cut those XT/XTX's.

Last edited:

rsouzadk

The 4090 is indeed a beast.

Lets hope with 5080 it matches the 4090 with better rt/power consumption and better prices.

Last edited:
4090 is the most "future proof" card that has ever been released. With the advancement in technology like DLSS that will only be reinforced as time goes on.
No. Even Turing is more advance than PS5 or Xbox Series X. It was launched in 2018 ,however, it mid range GPU like RTX 2070 Super in 90% of 3rd Party games beat or equal to PS5 in performance. There was time, when Console use to absolute (Like DF use to compare GTX 750 Ti with PS4 performance in 2013, but PS4 developer support and mature learning of console made it on par with GTX 960 at the end of PS4) ,however, this is not case with this Gen and at times even RTX 2070 Super is beating PS5.

It shows console optimization specifically or magic optimization on console is long gone and Engine are more flexible and requires more time to make games.

Larxia

The prices still feel broken to me, I remember when 80s used to cost 500-600€ :messenger_crying: I just can't accept paying 1000€ or more for a 80 gpu, these price ranges used to be for top of the line luxury products like 90 / Titans.

Last edited:

Senua

The prices still feel broken to me, I remember when 80s used to cost 500-600€ :messenger_crying: I just can't accept paying 1000€ or more for a 80 gpu, these price ranges used to be for top of the line luxury products like 90 / Titans.
Most people didn't accept it! that's why the 4080 sold so poorly, and now they've brought out a more powerful one and dropped the price. It's still too much IMO but lets see what the market decides, hopefully it fails again and they'll be forced to come back down to reality.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's actually kind of remarkable how frequently you have the absolute worst takes on this site
In my view, it is remarkable how very wrong you all are. Praising this shit company and paying more for less than it should be at that price.
Of course it's fast. You know how much it costs and how much power it draws? BUT MAN IT'S A BEAST.
Sometimes I feel like the only sane person here.
Pc gpu market is not in a good state. It's sickening where it got too. And dude, I have a 3080 and I even have my first 3dfx still. I was there playing unreal and glide half-life in 1998. I KNOW.

I could go and get 4090 tomorrow. Of course I could. But I would feel like an idiot honestly. You can play 95% the same looking game on console or much cheaper gpu

Top Bottom