• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I got started building computers back when the Athlon 64 first came out and then years later I won a computer with an Intel Core 2 Extreme when they came out and then have been with Intel ever since. I’m thinking about finally switching back to AMD with the Ryzen 7000 X3D parts.

I know that AMD uses expo instead of xmp and that they prefer 6000mhz memory. I’ve also heard people mention PBO, AGESA, and Ryzen Master. Is there any other AMD terminology or quirks that I should know about?

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got started building computers back when the Athlon 64 first came out and then years later I won a computer with an Intel Core 2 Extreme when they came out and then have been with Intel ever since. I’m thinking about finally switching back to AMD with the Ryzen 7000 X3D parts.

I know that AMD uses expo instead of xmp and that they prefer 6000mhz memory. I’ve also heard people mention PBO, AGESA, and Ryzen Master. Is there any other AMD terminology or quirks that I should know about?
Generally there will be new terms of things based on things like motherboards with certain features but you pretty much have the bases covered.

I got the Trident Z5 Neo RGB 6000 CL32 and tightened the timings to CL30. I don't see the use of going with 6400 as it seems like some CPU's won't work as well but for what it's worth, that memory with the 7900x3D has been the fastest and most responsive combo I've had. There will be alternate EXPO options as well and new stuff added even more recently which sets custom timings tighter pending your memory kit. Lots of neat things honestly and PBO2 is really awesome for getting the most out of your CPU and lowering temps even further while getting high end performance.

Leonidas

Thinking of going with this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VF7Nd9

1) Will it work?
2? Am I doing anything obviously stupid?
1) That board seems to lack BIOS flashback, Z690 came out with 12th Gen, so unless it's been updated to 13th Gen BIOS at the factory, it won't work.

2) Things I would consider if it were me personally.
  • 4070 launches soon, it's $200 more (if the latest rumor is true) but it's more powerful, has the latest features (DLSS3) and comes with 4 GB of extra VRAM
  • Might be a good idea to get 2x16 instead of 2 2x8 sets on the RAM sticks.

Last edited:

KTT

That board also doesn't have BIOS flashback. If you want easy plug and play get Z790. Z690 needs BIOS flashback to ensure 13th Gen will work.

Just wait for the RTX 4070 if you're willing to spend $600-$650 on a GPU.
Should I be expecting any availability issues with the 4070 launch scheduled for April 12? I can definitely wait until then. But will I be struggling to find one in-stock and paying above retail?

KTT

What is your upgrade plan and what do you expect to game at?
I haven't really thought about upgrades.

I guess I will play at 4k when possible. I want to play the RE4 remake but will also play some popular shooters and RPGs from the past few years. In that case, maybe it wouldn't be at 4k or I would turn down the quality.

MikeM

I guess I will play at 4k when possible. I want to play the RE4 remake but will also play some popular shooters and RPGs from the past few years. In that case, maybe it wouldn't be at 4k or I would turn down the quality.
Realistic 4k i’d be looking at 7900xt/7900xtx/4080/4090.

As someone else stated, go with 2x16gb RAM sticks.

GreatnessRD

I took a stab at a build based around the budget you did for the build you sent.

Only thing I'd say you could change for it to make sense for a rock solid 4K build is to wait for the 4070 I'm guessing or save up for a 4070 Ti/7900 XT (Both 799.99)

Paying $100 for a 650w power supply sounds gross. swapped your motherboard for a B760, I'm assuming it should be on par with some of the cheaper Z690 options, plus its cheaper and works out of the box with 13th gen. Also saved a little caash going with the 13500 vs the 13600k both are 6p+8e. You can overclock it if you want to get close to the turbo boost of the 13600k (It's not a K sku, forgot you can't overclock non K CPU chips with Intel) But still should see similar results because of the DDR5 board and ram. Whatever you end up doing, good luck with your build and choices. I just beg of you not to spend $100 on a 650W PSU, lol.

Last edited:
I want a 7950X3D, which is still out of stock :messenger_unamused:, but I'm confused because people are saying it sucks for gaming. I won't be exclusively gaming on it or I'd just get a 7800X3D. I've seen people say to use "Process Lasso". Do I really need to buy software to get the most out of the CPU? I mean, I'm looking at paying £750 for the CPU so I ain't gonna cry over another £34 but I shouldn't really need to buy extra software, right? Also, it looks confusing as hell and I wouldn't know what I'm doing and I really can't be bothered learning.

According to AMD all I should do is make sure the BIOS/Chipset/Windows is up to date, which I'll obviously be doing, and make sure Game Bar/Mode is on (which I use already). I've seen people mention to set the BIOS to Prefer Cache. Is this all I really need to do or am I going to lose performance by not using Process Lasso?

Am I right in understanding that if I do what AMD suggest then when not gaming all 16 cores will be used if such a demanding load is put on it (Video Editing/Rendering/Encoding for example) and if I play a game then it will only use the 8x 3D cores? I know not a lot of games utilise more than 8 cores but is there no way for games to use all 16 cores with this CPU?

MikeM

can i get a good explanation on why buses in GPUs are so important? does a higher bit bus reduce stutter?
“The width of this interface, normally defined as "384-bit" or similar, is the physical count of bits that can fit down the bus per clock cycle.”

-LTT

hinch7

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...tom-models-with-prices-close-to-4070-ti-msrp/

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Allegedly Starts At $749 US Price​

Is it true?
No. $599 is going to be the MSRP. Though that will be likely only for the Founder Edition RTX 4070. AiB model prices still tbc, but we can safely presume to be higher, at least for launch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I took a stab at a build based around the budget you did for the build you sent.

[/URL]

Only thing I'd say you could change for it to make sense for a rock solid 4K build is to wait for the 4070 I'm guessing or save up for a 4070 Ti/7900 XT (Both 799.99)

Paying $100 for a 650w power supply sounds gross. swapped your motherboard for a B760, I'm assuming it should be on par with some of the cheaper Z690 options, plus its cheaper and works out of the box with 13th gen. Also saved a little caash going with the 13500 vs the 13600k both are 6p+8e. You can overclock it if you want to get close to the turbo boost of the 13600k (It's not a K sku, forgot you can't overclock non K CPU chips with Intel) But still should see similar results because of the DDR5 board and ram. Whatever you end up doing, good luck with your build and choices. I just beg of you not to spend $100 on a 650W PSU, lol.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W78pC6

A little better.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
worth upgrading from a I7 9700k to a i5 13600K?
It depends on many factors.

How is your GPU?

If you have a 30 series or above GPU then it will be significantly better. If you're using the 10 series then it won't change all that much.

Generally speaking the 13 series is significantly better than the 9 series.

Last edited:
It depends on many factors.

How is your GPU?

If you have a 30 series or above GPU then it will be significantly better. If you're using the 10 series then it won't change all that much.

Generally speaking the 13 series is significantly better than the 9 series.
I have a 3070ti

winjer

Gold Member
Forgive me brothers for I have sinned. In a moment of weakness, I purchased a MSI 4080 Suprim X. May my wallet rest in peace.

angry tom cat GIF

Congratulation on your purchase

Sakura

For those of you coming into this thread looking for solid upgrades, I will say that one area where prices have come down drastically is in monitors.

You can now get 1440p/ 144HZ and higher for under $200 in some cases.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168240...&ranSiteID=lw9MynSeamY-l4BDnwpFgslqvG0zqKDkEg

At normal price, the above monitor is OK, but under $200 this is a GREAT deal. If you are monitor hunting consider this.
Choosing a monitor was probably one of the most confusing things for me. I watched a ton of content on youtube reviewing monitors and such, but still don't really have a great idea of what is good or not in terms of colours, ghosting, etc.

KTT

For those of you coming into this thread looking for solid upgrades, I will say that one area where prices have come down drastically is in monitors.

You can now get 1440p/ 144HZ and higher for under $200 in some cases.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168240...&ranSiteID=lw9MynSeamY-l4BDnwpFgslqvG0zqKDkEg

At normal price, the above monitor is OK, but under $200 this is a GREAT deal. If you are monitor hunting consider this.
Need G-Sync though, not FreeSync >.<

winjer

Gold Member
Should I buy this for $629 or wait for the 4070?

There are several advantages and di9sadvantages to each. But also consider that the 4070 has not released yet, so there are no concrete performance numbers.

The 6950XT is faster in rasterization. Around 15-20%. But the 4070 is probably going to be faster in heavy RT.
The 6950XT has more vram. 16 vs 12GB.
The 6950XT has a free game. So if you intend to play the Last of Us, then you will save money. Or, you can sell it.

The 4070 will use 100-150W less than the 6950XT. If you are in a country where power is expensive, this is a big consideration.
The 4070 will also be cooler and more silent.
The 4070 has DLSS2 which is better than FSR2. And it already has frame generation. We don't know when AMD cards will have it, they just said sometime in 2023.

Overall, at the same price, I would give the win to the 4070. But in either case, there are compromises.

KTT

I'm actually reconsidering things and realizing that it might be better to go with a previous-gen GPU rather than something currently on the cutting-edge. I'm primarily building it so that I can play the RE4 Remake, but I don't think I need a 4070 to do that. I haven't built a PC or gamed in 5+ years. There's going to be a lot of back-catalog things to keep me entertained. Additionally, if I get a so-so GPU now and then upgrade later, I can gift the old one to a family member that could use it.

So I think my plan is to play last-gen games for a year or two and then upgrade the GPU at a later time.

With that in mind, what GPU would fit in this situation? Maybe this 3060 Ti?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There are several advantages and di9sadvantages to each. But also consider that the 4070 has not released yet, so there are no concrete performance numbers.

The 6950XT is faster in rasterization. Around 15-20%. But the 4070 is probably going to be faster in heavy RT.
The 6950XT has more vram. 16 vs 12GB.
The 6950XT has a free game. So if you intend to play the Last of Us, then you will save money. Or, you can sell it.

The 4070 will use 100-150W less than the 6950XT. If you are in a country where power is expensive, this is a big consideration.
The 4070 will also be cooler and more silent.
The 4070 has DLSS2 which is better than FSR2. And it already has frame generation. We don't know when AMD cards will have it, they just said sometime in 2023.

Overall, at the same price, I would give the win to the 4070. But in either case, there are compromises.
Wait, so the 4070 is equivalent to a freaking 3080? What the hell is going on?

The 3070 was equivalent to a 2080 Ti. The best card that gen. The 4070 should be offering 3090 Ti levels of performance. Or 3080 Ti which is on par with the 6950xt in standard rasterization.

Forgive me brothers for I have sinned. In a moment of weakness, I purchased a MSI 4080 Suprim X. May my wallet rest in peace.
Enjoy. 4080 is an amazing card.

Not sure about the MSI one. I've had MSI cards before and they have been fine. They are a great brand. All i'm saying is i'm really impressed with the Nvidia founders edition card that I have. It runs so quiet and cool. in games it's ~37-50C which blows my mind and fans dont go beyond 30C if they turn on at all. while it might not stay in the 30's long it hasn't gone above 50C as far as i can remember. maybe 51-52C when i wasn't actively monitoring it. I undervolted it so it's maintaining stock performance (actually slightly better) while using less power than my old 2080 which could hit about 76C in games. As for performance i went from playing Flight Sim locked to 30fps (and still getting dips) to 60+fps. in Cyberpunk i went from the benchmark doing 21fps to 55fps and that's all settings cranked up including RTX.

the 16GB VRAM is a huge upgrade too. But to be honest I wish I had went with a 4090 now that i know how easy it is to undervolt and seeing games use insane VRAM recently.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Need G-Sync though, not FreeSync >.<

You can use gsync just fine w/ freesync monitors. Nvidia adopted gsync aka freesync aka adaptive sync aka vrr without the need for a built in gsync module a few years ago.

What you're referring to is now called gsync ultimate which includes a gsync module but has gone the way of the dinosaurs w/ 99% of new monitors these days. The module did provide a few benefits over the other sync technologies but the $tax$ it put on monitors was huge, thus Nvidia changed their stance as the adoption rate was poor.

CGNoire

Im in middle of putting together a list of parts for new PC.
Whats the word on the current top of the line setup in 2023?
What should I "ideally" get?

Last edited:

I_D

Im in middle of putting together a list of parts for new PC.
Whats the word on the current top of the line setup in 2023?
What should I "ideally" get?
Depends on your price-range and required parts.

What do you already have? What do you need?
How much money are you able to spend?

My post:

I currently have two identical 2560x1440, 144hz, Non-HDR monitors which work flawlessly with my RTX 3080.
My hope is to get a third monitor, preferably at 3840x1600, 144+hz, +HDR.

Is it actually possible to run multiple monitors at varying levels of resolution and/or refresh-rate and/or hdr-settings?
And, if so, what kind of complications should I expect?
What's the best way to actually make this setup work?

CGNoire

Depends on your price-range and required parts.

What do you already have? What do you need?
How much money are you able to spend?

My post:

I currently have two identical 2560x1440, 144hz, Non-HDR monitors which work flawlessly with my RTX 3080.

Is it actually possible to run multiple monitors at varying levels of resolution and/or refresh-rate and/or hdr-settings?
What's the best way to actually make this setup work?
Top of the line...Price doesnt matter..... although i dont want gold encrusted ram or something like that ;)

I_D

Top of the line...Price doesnt matter..... although i dont want gold encrusted ram or something like that ;)

But what do you currently have, and what do you need?
Do you need just a tower? A monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, etc.?

To continue my question:

What's the best way to actually make this setup work, if there is one?

zephiross

But what do you currently have, and what do you need?
Do you need just a tower? A monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, etc.?

To continue my question:

What's the best way to actually make this setup work, if there is one?
Yes, yes and yes.
None.
Well, just make sure your screens are plugged in lol.

Settings are set per screen so you can pair any screen you want. If you goal is to run a triple screen setup (as in a game displayed on all screens to get a wider FOV) I won't comment on that since I don't know. But if it's just a regular setup where you play on 1 monitor, you're all good.

Last edited:

zeomax

yeah no, 4090 means new power supply and I got the suprim x for 1200€ (4080 MSRP is 1400 in france) while the cheapest 4090 are going for 2000€. 66% more expensive (without counting the power supply) for 30-35% more performance isn't what i would call a good deal
You can buy a 4090 from Germany for 1690€

https://www.alternate.de/Gainward/G...eizhals&campaign=Grafikkarte/Gainward/1869450

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...tiv-PCIe-4-0-x16-1xHDMI-3xDispla_1469835.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom