• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2024. 240 Hz OLEDs, PCI-Gen5, Path Tracing & Ray Reconstruction.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My new build uses a Deep Cool 620 CPU cooler. The fans it came with are pretty noisy. I'd like to upgrade them to something quieter. What search terms do I use for fans compatible with those heat sink clips the cooler uses? Is Noctua still the way to go?

This is the cooler https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-ak620/p/N82E16835856200

I have been researching fans heavily as of late.

The indisputed best 120mm fans are the Phanteks T30s. Bar none. They are the best. However, they have a catch. They're 30mm thick, while most 120mm fans are 25mm think. You certainly won't be able to fit a T30 in the middle.

The Be Quiet Silent Wings Pro 4 seem to be excellent fans, but they seem to be sold out at most places. Those would be the 120mm fans I would choose.

Another option is the Cooler Master Mobius 120mm OC edition. They get solid reviews and are also a good choice.

If you are dead set on Noctua, the Noctua AF-12x25mm are very good choices. Don't bother with any other Noctua fans. The AFs will move the most air at the lowest temperature. Do not and I repeat do not go with any other Noctua fans except for the AF models.

Most of my info comes from this video

Here is the review on the Cooler Master Mobius. They're beasts and go for around $25 on amazon. Much better value than the Noctua. It would seem.

peish

Nidec Gentle typhoons are a classic, and still top in terms of noise signature and airflow. It is based off Nidec industrial designs that Noctua and so many copied later.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Nidec Gentle typhoons are a classic, and still top in terms of noise signature and airflow. It is based off Nidec industrial designs that Noctua and so many copied later.
star wars GIF

Xyphie

My new build uses a Deep Cool 620 CPU cooler. The fans it came with are pretty noisy. I'd like to upgrade them to something quieter. What search terms do I use for fans compatible with those heat sink clips the cooler uses? Is Noctua still the way to go?

You're not going to find fans that are meaningfully better than the FK120 fans DeepCool ship with it. If it's a noise problem just adjust the PWM curves of the fans to your liking.

simpatico

You're not going to find fans that are meaningfully better than the FK120 fans DeepCool ship with it. If it's a noise problem just adjust the PWM curves of the fans to your liking.
I was wondering that. The 7800x3D runs the cooler a lot more than my old i7 I upgraded from. Perf is great though.

Xyphie

I was wondering that. The 7800x3D runs the cooler a lot more than my old i7 I upgraded from. Perf is great though.

Then you should have absolutely no issues running the fans at very low RPMs, even passively at desktop tasks. 7800X3D is only a 120W CPU and AK620 is a >250W cooler, pretty much as beefy as you can make an air cooler.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There are legit better fans than the ones Deep Cool ships with. Are they worth the cost? That’s a different question entirely. The Silent Wings Pro 4 are going to push more air, which means he can lower the rpm and thus lower the noise. It’s also the quality of noise. I’m not bothered by a calm fan sound, but when you have a whine/hum added to that noise, I find that very distracting.

simpatico

Then you should have absolutely no issues running the fans at very low RPMs, even passively at desktop tasks. 7800X3D is only a 120W CPU and AK620 is a >250W cooler, pretty much as beefy as you can make an air cooler.
Cooler has no problem keeping the CPU mostly under 80c at load, but again like I said, a bit louder than what I upgraded from.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cooler has no problem keeping the CPU mostly under 80c at load, but again like I said, a bit louder than what I upgraded from.
You have options. Problem is that there is no true way to know how they will fit. Deep Cools heat sinks are very specifically designed for their fans. A standard 25mm fan should fit, but ya never know. Aside from the Phanteks T30, it appears the Be Quiet Silent Wings Pro 4 are the best performance to noise option. They’re not cheap, but they’re not by worse than any other 120mm of high quality.

simpatico

You have options. Problem is that there is no true way to know how they will fit. Deep Cools heat sinks are very specifically designed for their fans. A standard 25mm fan should fit, but ya never know. Aside from the Phanteks T30, it appears the Be Quiet Silent Wings Pro 4 are the best performance to noise option. They’re not cheap, but they’re not by worse than any other 120mm of high quality.
I'm coming from a 7700k, which I think is like a 60w part. Thing barely hit 60c and I never remember hearing the fan. I understand the days of elegant silicon are gone and now we're in the hot rod era. Just trying to get use to it and seeing where I can mitigate some of the noise. Perf is tremendous.

manfestival

Local pawn shop has a crazy 2 in 1 that hasnt sold since they got it back in November. The desktop just did a final price drop where it went from $3500 to $2500 effectively and they won't be dropping the price any further. As I said it is a 2 in 1 which I imagine it was a streamer set up but the components are below. Just curious to see if yall think it is a good idea to pick this up and sell the second side(once I verify everything is running) for like $600-$700 secondhand even if it might take a while in this local market. Currently gaming on a beefy laptop with a 13900hx and 4080(real world experience is basically a 3080 desktop but slightly less or more frames 1-2% +/- depending on the game) but I cant help but desire for more frames especially with this 1440p 240hz OLED I got last month. I desire to see it at it's full potential and this thing is gorgeous too.

Case: T-Wings

Side A:
4080 Gigabyte
32GB RAM(brand uncertain or details)
7900x
512GB NVME(brand uncertain or details)
asus ROG strix b650
EVGA 1000Watt PSU
2TB HDD(brand uncertain or details)

Side B:
6600XT
5600x
12gb RAM(brand uncertain or details)
512GB NVME
Mobo(I did not try to check)
600 watt PSU EVGA
HDD(storage amount uncertain)

What yall think? Worth it especially once I sell off Side B in this case? I believe it would make the overall cost of the system to come out to like $1800. Only real downside is that Side A has a stock AMD cooler and those are trash for AM5 high end components.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Did a decent Mini-ITX build about a month ago

- Fractal Design Terra case (graphite)
- AMD Ryzen 7600X
- AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT
- ASRock Mini ITX motherboard
- 32 GB G Skill DDR5 6000
- 2 TB Western Digital Black SSD
- ID Cooling Air Cooler for CPU
- Cooler Master 850 watt modular SFX Power Supply

rm082e

Local pawn shop has a crazy 2 in 1 that hasnt sold since they got it back in November. The desktop just did a final price drop where it went from $3500 to $2500 effectively and they won't be dropping the price any further. As I said it is a 2 in 1 which I imagine it was a streamer set up but the components are below. Just curious to see if yall think it is a good idea to pick this up and sell the second side(once I verify everything is running) for like $600-$700 secondhand even if it might take a while in this local market. Currently gaming on a beefy laptop with a 13900hx and 4080(real world experience is basically a 3080 desktop but slightly less or more frames 1-2% +/- depending on the game) but I cant help but desire for more frames especially with this 1440p 240hz OLED I got last month. I desire to see it at it's full potential and this thing is gorgeous too.

Side A:
4080 Gigabyte
7900x
asus ROG strix b650
EVGA 1000Watt PSU

Side B:
6600XT
5600x
512GB NVME
600 watt PSU EVGA

What yall think? Worth it especially once I sell off Side B in this case? I believe it would make the overall cost of the system to come out to like $1800. Only real downside is that Side A has a stock AMD cooler and those are trash for AM5 high end components.

If I throw the components of Side A into https://pcpartpicker.com/ without the case, this is pushing over 2k. So in theory, it would save you a little money. However, I would ask the following questions:
  • Is that storage setup is enough for you? Games just keep getting bigger. You may be spending a little bit on a 2TB SSD.
  • It sounds like you'll want a better cooler, so easily add another $60-$100.
  • If you're going to sell Side B, you probably don't need that case. You won't be using it's primary feature.
  • If you buy new parts, you could get a 7800 X3D, and RTX 4808 Super. Both will be slightly better for gaming than the 7900x and 4080, and they will come with a warranty.
To me, it seems like a wash once you figure in your time spent selling off Side B and adding a few parts to Side A. If you've got $1800-$2K to spend, I'd just use https://pcpartpicker.com/ and get brand new parts. I think the value of that PC is that it's a 2-in-1 for someone who wants a turn-key solution for steaming. If you're not going to stream, it doesn't seem worth it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Side A:
4080 Gigabyte
7900x
asus ROG strix b650
EVGA 1000Watt PSU

Side B:
6600XT
5600x
512GB NVME
600 watt PSU EVGA

Absolutely not worth the hassle.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wouldn’t fee comfortable buying a PC for thousands of dollars from a pawn shop. Who knows how that thing’s been treated or how long the components will last…

MikeM

- AMD Ryzen 7600X
- AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT
Any pics?

Astray

Gold Member

Most fans are awful when running on max speed, I'd investigate using software like Fan Control to modify your fan speed curves.

twilo99

- AMD Ryzen 7600X
- AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT

did you undervolt things? I feel like a mini build would benefit greatly from a mild reduction in voltage

simpatico

They might have got me fellas. I’m still in the Gamers Nexus vacuum from CPU shopping a few weeks ago. Looking at GPUs. I’ve got a 1080p monitor that I’m not planning on upgrading soon, so my options are vast. My last few cards have been: 280, ATI 4870, Titan, 680, 780, 1080. I’m over upgrading that often, as you can see by me still running the 1080.

I’m narrowed down to 4070Ti and 7900 GRE. Cost isn’t a big factor aside from being old and grumpy about the value prop. Those two seem like the only real value band outside of the lowest end.

Some points

- I’m being pretty stubborn about a 256 bit memory bus. There are a few 4060 benchmarks out there that point toward memory bandwidth already being a problem. CMV?

- 4070 Super rocking 12GB and a 192 memory bus. Nvidia pls. This is insulting enough to make me consider AMD

Options:

1. Buy a 7900 GRE. FSR3 and Frame Gen are the lynchpin here. If they deliver this is the no brainer.

2. Buy a 4070 Ti. It is what it is. Bend the knee, run around Night City with glee

3. Buy a used 6700XT or 3060 12GB to hold me over until we find out if FSR 3 is decent or maybe Nvidia allows there to be a good 5000 series card.

I just beat Phantom Liberty at around 80fps with mostly high settings on my 1080… Maybe I’m just caught up in the YouTube PC algo

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ladies and gentlemen, I was in the RGB craze for a while, but was never satisfied with my cooling so I have forsaked all my RGB and went with making the quietest and coolest build short of a dedicated water cooling system. I think I accomplished that.

I have 3 140mm Noctua Chromax fans in the front of the case. 1 exhaust. I also the brand new 360mm Arctic Liquid Freezer III with the 30mm Phanteks T30 fans which are pretty much unanimously considered the best 120mm fans. The only downside is that I lost my LCD readout from the NZXT Kraken that I was previous using.

Its probably overkill for a 7800X3D, but I want this motherfucker running cold.
bXZwoWm.jpg
III AIO

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does anyone have suggestions for an LCD display that I can use to monitor GPU and CPU temps. Something that will interface with something like HWinfo64 and just uses simple usb not hdmi or DP. Not a big screen just something tiny I can use.

hinch7

They might have got me fellas. I’m still in the Gamers Nexus vacuum from CPU shopping a few weeks ago. Looking at GPUs. I’ve got a 1080p monitor that I’m not planning on upgrading soon, so my options are vast. My last few cards have been: 280, ATI 4870, Titan, 680, 780, 1080. I’m over upgrading that often, as you can see by me still running the 1080.

I’m narrowed down to 4070Ti and 7900 GRE. Cost isn’t a big factor aside from being old and grumpy about the value prop. Those two seem like the only real value band outside of the lowest end.

Some points

- I’m being pretty stubborn about a 256 bit memory bus. There are a few 4060 benchmarks out there that point toward memory bandwidth already being a problem. CMV?

- 4070 Super rocking 12GB and a 192 memory bus. Nvidia pls. This is insulting enough to make me consider AMD

Options:

1. Buy a 7900 GRE. FSR3 and Frame Gen are the lynchpin here. If they deliver this is the no brainer.

2. Buy a 4070 Ti. It is what it is. Bend the knee, run around Night City with glee

3. Buy a used 6700XT or 3060 12GB to hold me over until we find out if FSR 3 is decent or maybe Nvidia allows there to be a good 5000 series card.

I just beat Phantom Liberty at around 80fps with mostly high settings on my 1080… Maybe I’m just caught up in the YouTube PC algo
If you plan on keeping the GPU for a long time, like a few to several years.. the 7900 GRE's extra VRAM will be a boon. 12GB of VRAM is barely enough for 1440P with upscaling and RT. And this is coming from a 4070Ti owner. That GPU while good, is annoyingly hamstringed by its memory. Not due its bus, but its capacity. If you plan on playing and upgrading in a couple years the 4070Ti/4070 Super is a brilliant and efficient GPU and you can't go wrong with.

For FSR worries.. AMD are working on improve FSR with Ai which should bring them much closer to DLSS in image quality and they're constantly releasing updates for FG.

Could also wait for RDNA 4 or Battlemage later this year. Which should also have a roll on effect on current GPU prices. That should give even more performance/value in the mid tier. That said, I wouldn't get a GPU JUST for a single game. Though CP2077 with Path tracing does look amazing. The amount of titles that support PT are fairly small. Its more of a tech demo if anything rn, until consoles and game development and teams catches up.

Last edited:

rm082e

Options:

Every time I upgrade, I hate the idea of bending the knee to Nvidia. I hate that they have a soft monopoly, and I want more consumer choice. Buuuuuut, DLSS (quality), DLAA, and now frame generation all work extremely well. Also, I've been using Nvidia cards since I got back into PC with the GTX 680 and I've never once had an issue with drivers. That whole "it just works" thing has been 100% true for me. Everyone I've talked to (more like interrogated) with AMD cards have eventually admitted they've had some issues, although they typically downplay them.

So as much as I hate to say it, if you're going to go with one of those three options, I would vote for the 4070 Ti. I don't think there's any chance the 5000 series cards will come down in price point meaningfully. We need the AI market to crash for that to happen, and if it's going to, I think it's still more than a year out.

That said, if you're getting 80fps in Cyberpunk with acceptable settings with your current hardware, what are you actually going to accomplish by getting more GPU horsepower? 120fps? Does that increase in frame rate do a lot for your brain? I have to admit that it really doesn't for mine. I get 97% of the value from a solid 60fps. Going above that to 90, 120, or 165 (my monitor's max rate) barely adds anything for me. I use Riva Tuner to cap my card at 120 at the system level. That's as high as I can sense any difference at all. Anything above that is just wasting electricity.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I doubt there's going to be any games out this year that are more technically demanding than Cyberpunk. So if you're already good with how that runs, you might take a cold shower and try to wait a while longer. :messenger_savoring:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you plan on keeping the GPU for a long time, like a few to several years.. the 7900 GRE's extra VRAM will be a boon. 12GB of VRAM is barely enough for 1440P with upscaling and RT. And this is coming from a 4070Ti owner. That GPU while good, is annoyingly hamstringed by its memory. Not due its bus, but its capacity. If you plan on playing and upgrading in a couple years the 4070Ti/4070 Super is a brilliant and efficient GPU and you can't go wrong with.

For FSR worries.. AMD are working on improve FSR with Ai which should bring them much closer to DLSS in image quality and they're constantly releasing updates for FG.

Could also wait for RDNA 4 or Battlemage later this year. Which should also have a roll on effect on current GPU prices. That should give even more performance/value in the mid tier. That said, I wouldn't get a GPU JUST for a single game. Though CP2077 with Path tracing does look amazing. The amount of titles that support PT are fairly small. Its more of a tech demo if anything rn, until consoles and game development and teams catches up.
As good as Cyberpunk 2077 looks with pathtracing, I still don't feel that PT elevated the game all that much. It still looks damn good rasterized. I do like RT reflections but even those can look great rasterized.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Every time I upgrade, I hate the idea of bending the knee to Nvidia. I hate that they have a soft monopoly, and I want more consumer choice. Buuuuuut, DLSS (quality), DLAA, and now frame generation all work extremely well. Also, I've been using Nvidia cards since I got back into PC with the GTX 680 and I've never once had an issue with drivers. That whole "it just works" thing has been 100% true for me. Everyone I've talked to (more like interrogated) with AMD cards have eventually admitted they've had some issues, although they typically downplay them.

So as much as I hate to say it, if you're going to go with one of those three options, I would vote for the 4070 Ti. I don't think there's any chance the 5000 series cards will come down in price point meaningfully. We need the AI market to crash for that to happen, and if it's going to, I think it's still more than a year out.

That said, if you're getting 80fps in Cyberpunk with acceptable settings with your current hardware, what are you actually going to accomplish by getting more GPU horsepower? 120fps? Does that increase in frame rate do a lot for your brain? I have to admit that it really doesn't for mine. I get 97% of the value from a solid 60fps. Going above that to 90, 120, or 165 (my monitor's max rate) barely adds anything for me. I use Riva Tuner to cap my card at 120 at the system level. That's as high as I can sense any difference at all. Anything above that is just wasting electricity.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I doubt there's going to be any games out this year that are more technically demanding than Cyberpunk. So if you're already good with how that runs, you might take a cold shower and try to wait a while longer. :messenger_savoring:
90 fps is about the minimum for me that I want on PC. I will tolerate 60 on console. 30 fps is absolutely unplayable for me. OLED completely broke me.

I have a 4K/240 Hz QD-OLED monitor, A 175Hz QD-OLED ultra-widescreen, a 4K/120 Hz C1 OLED and had a 240 Hz LG 1440p/OLED. WHile I've grown to love ultra high framerates, I still felt that the experience I got from my C1 at 120 fps was the best since I could sit on my couch and run the sound through my receiver. My ultra-wide QD-OLED also provides an amazing experience, too!

I'd say that the end game is 4K/480Hz, which isn't as far off as I would have assumed.

Last edited:

rm082e

Yeah, after 50 hours of play in CP/PL, I can say I don't care about the RT features at all. With my 3080 running QHD, everything maxed, and DLSS quality, I was getting mid 80s in one of the shop areas with a bunch of lighting and reflections. I turned on RT features to Ultra and the frame rate went to the mid 20s. Moving around in that environment and flipping back and forth, I could tell the lighting and reflections were different, but I wouldn't even say the RT looked better. Even if the frame rate had taken a 10% hit, it wouldn't have been enough added value to keep it on.

It's cool tech, but it seems like RT is going to need another decade of advancement before the delta gets big enough that it's worth the performance costs.

rm082e

90 fps is about the minimum for me that I want on PC. I will tolerate 60 on console. 30 fps is absolutely unplayable for me. OLED completely broke me.

I have a 4K/240 Hz QD-OLED monitor, A 175Hz QD-OLED ultra-widescreen, a 4K/120 Hz C1 OLED and had a 240 Hz LG 1440p/OLED. WHile I've grown to love ultra high framerates, I still felt that the experience I got from my C1 at 120 fps was the best since I could sit on my couch and run the sound through my receiver. My ultra-wide QD-OLED also provides an amazing experience, too!

I'd say that the end game is 4K/480Hz, which isn't as far off as I would have assumed.
I am jelly. I haven't made the upgrade to OLED yet. Still running a 32" VA Dell monitor. I like it fine for brightly colored games. It's just those dark environments where it struggles a bit. Playing in an office where I can close curtains, turn off all the lights, etc. helps.

I need a QD-OLED to get down in the $700-ish range so my wife doesn't kill me with a stick. That's probably 2-3 years away at this point.

hinch7

As good as Cyberpunk 2077 looks with pathtracing, I still don't feel that PT elevated the game all that much. It still looks damn good rasterized. I do like RT reflections but even those can look great rasterized.
Yeah, it subtle but once you turn it on its hard to go back. Whether its worth the several hundred to thousands dollar upgrades needed to run it, is up to the person(s). Personally I don't think PT or even RT is a worthy investment rn, unless you have cash to burn. It just kills performance. Its a nice have though. Maybe when the PS6 releases we'll have more games+hardware with RT built in mind.

The game does look great either way with raster or RT. Same with AW2.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am jelly. I haven't made the upgrade to OLED yet. Still running a 32" VA Dell monitor. I like it fine for brightly colored games. It's just those dark environments where it struggles a bit. Playing in an office where I can close curtains, turn off all the lights, etc. helps.

I need a QD-OLED to get down in the $700-ish range so my wife doesn't kill me with a stick. That's probably 2-3 years away at this point.
The MSI 360Hz QD-OLED is $799. It's Out of stock, but with a sale you may see it under $700 sooner than you thinkg

rm082e

The MSI 360Hz QD-OLED is $799. It's Out of stock, but with a sale you may see it under $700 sooner than you thinkg
I really like the feel of curved 32" panels, so that's what I'm waiting on. I would also consider a curved 38" UW.

I had a 34" for my work machine for a while and felt it was a little bit too small. On my gaming machine, I previously had a flat 27" (too small) and a flat 32" (gave to my wife). I had to play that game of hot-and-cold to figure out the curve really matters a lot to me because I need to sit close due to eye sight. When I bought my Dell it was a goldilocks moment.

I saw several new 32" QD-OLEDs announced at CES, but it sounds like they will be in the $1,100-1,400 range? We'll see how the pricing shakes out when they're all out later this year.

simpatico

I’m still struggling to hold 60 in Helldivers, TLOU, Jedi, among others. But since I got the new CPU, much less so. I’m thinking in just adrift in the YouTube to Microcenter pipeline. lol

Pejo

GHG GHG and winjer winjer - Just wanted to say thanks again to you guys (and the other guys in the thread that chimed in on the cases). Finally after a few weeks of various issues and ordering stuff and waiting for it to arrive, I finally got my new rig booting tonight. I'm knee deep in installation and updating and configuration right now, but I took some time out to try Dragon's Dogma 2 at 4k and it was just really really nice. The whole thing is insanely quiet too. The loudest the fans got was right at the beginning when I assume it was auto-benchmarking and compiling shaders. Otherwise I forget the damn thing is even on.

This was a massive upgrade for me and the first time I built from scratch in a very very long time. I had previously been buying refurb/open box PCs and then just replacing parts that I wanted to upgrade for the past 3-4 PCs.

To give some sort of metric on how out of date I was, I was shocked to find out that there was no VGA port on the integrated graphics on the mobo. I also had no idea that a NVMe drive had its own little cubbyhole under a heat shield on gaming mobos. I kept thinking I was missing a new cable to plug it in to the sata drive ports.

I had a few numbskull moments, but for the most part it went pretty well. My biggest issues were physical locations of ports on the mobo and making it tough to get to with the case I picked, and the modular cables that came with the PSU not being long enough to reach the necessary spots. I ended up just buying a handful of extensions instead of buying the whole cable since it was like 3x as much money to get the longer cables.

I was impressed with how easy the initial setup was after installing Windows. My motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus B650) prompted me to install their proprietary app that scanned and downloaded all of the other necessary drivers. That part always use to be a huge pain in the ass in previous builds.

I can't wait to try out some games that left my old machine crying.

winjer

Gold Member
GHG GHG and winjer winjer - Just wanted to say thanks again to you guys (and the other guys in the thread that chimed in on the cases). Finally after a few weeks of various issues and ordering stuff and waiting for it to arrive, I finally got my new rig booting tonight. I'm knee deep in installation and updating and configuration right now, but I took some time out to try Dragon's Dogma 2 at 4k and it was just really really nice. The whole thing is insanely quiet too. The loudest the fans got was right at the beginning when I assume it was auto-benchmarking and compiling shaders. Otherwise I forget the damn thing is even on.

This was a massive upgrade for me and the first time I built from scratch in a very very long time. I had previously been buying refurb/open box PCs and then just replacing parts that I wanted to upgrade for the past 3-4 PCs.

To give some sort of metric on how out of date I was, I was shocked to find out that there was no VGA port on the integrated graphics on the mobo. I also had no idea that a NVMe drive had its own little cubbyhole under a heat shield on gaming mobos. I kept thinking I was missing a new cable to plug it in to the sata drive ports.

I had a few numbskull moments, but for the most part it went pretty well. My biggest issues were physical locations of ports on the mobo and making it tough to get to with the case I picked, and the modular cables that came with the PSU not being long enough to reach the necessary spots. I ended up just buying a handful of extensions instead of buying the whole cable since it was like 3x as much money to get the longer cables.

I was impressed with how easy the initial setup was after installing Windows. My motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus B650) prompted me to install their proprietary app that scanned and downloaded all of the other necessary drivers. That part always use to be a huge pain in the ass in previous builds.

I can't wait to try out some games that left my old machine crying.

Don't forget to install the latest chipset drivers.

Yerd

Does anyone use the new nvidia app that replaces geforce experience?

I have a list of games that can't be sorted in any way and it's in some random order. What the hell is that? State of Decay 2 I noticed is listed in 2 different places. I can't find Dragon's Dogma 2 in the list.

I have Geforce Experience still on my laptop (for simplicity) and that has Dragon's Dogma 2, so I know they have it setup for the game.

Bojji

IDK why but YT is recommending me strange Chinese videos lately, not bad!

I have a list of games that can't be sorted in any way and it's in some random order. What the hell is that? State of Decay 2 I noticed is listed in 2 different places. I can't find Dragon's Dogma 2 in the list.

I have Geforce Experience still on my laptop (for simplicity) and that has Dragon's Dogma 2, so I know they have it setup for the game.

It's pretty bad at this point but RTX HDR is worth it. You can add games by searching for .exe file or if you change something in classic control panel for any game (like AF for example), game should show up in Nv App.

Last edited:

simpatico

Anyone use the Honeywell PT7950 material as thermal paste? Gonna repaste my GPU this weekend, and since I'm rocking the free Deep Cool tube that came with my cooler, I figure I'll do the CPU as well since I'm not loving the temps. Any thermal pad recommendations for the smaller bits in my 1080?

Well Iike that I can finally use the Nvidia app without an account.

But I can't manually remove games! So I'm stuck with uninstalled Front Mission remake forever lol.

Fredrik

Didn’t realize 7800X3D was this good, is it the 3D cash that push it up this much?

I have the 7900X in my main PC… Bought it at launch, was super expensive. Got the 7800X3D at roughly half the price now for the living room PC. Awkward.

RagnarokIV

Instead of copying ISOs from my home server individually as when I want them, I want to get 2 drives to store them on my PC.

Should I go for 2x sata SSD or 2x HDD?
The speed doesn’t matter because the newest on them will be PS3 and 360.

One drive will be a backup of the other.

winjer

Gold Member
Didn’t realize 7800X3D was this good, is it the 3D cash that push it up this much?

I have the 7900X in my main PC… Bought it at launch, was super expensive. Got the 7800X3D at roughly half the price now for the living room PC. Awkward.

Yes, the extra cache does miracles in most games.
But it does little to nothing in most applications. I think the only work application that I have seen benefiting from the 3DVcache was AutoCad.
For work, the extra cores o the 7900X are the best option. But for gaming, the extra cache is the best thing.

Fredrik

Yes, the extra cache does miracles in most games.
But it does little to nothing in most applications. I think the only work application that I have seen benefiting from the 3DVcache was AutoCad.
For work, the extra cores o the 7900X are the best option. But for gaming, the extra cache is the best thing.
Typical, I use the PC with the 7900X mostly for gaming, only some Unity besides that but it’s the same thing, and only a 1440p screen. Badly planned. But it’s good enough right now at least.

Cyborg

My second attempt to pick parts for my first ever PC build (my son whats to game on a PC). Please let me know what your thoughts are. The total is € 3.190,20

Case: NZXT H7 Elite RGB (Black, Standaard (without RGB)€ 184,90
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D€ 394,00
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI€ 219,90
Cooling: NZXT Kraken 240 RGB (Black)€ 169,90
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER (MSI GAMING X SLIM)€ 1.199,00
Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade RGB DDR5 (32GB, Black/Silver)€ 154,90
SSD1: Samsung 990 PRO (2 TB)€ 189,90
SSD2: Samsung 990 PRO (1 TB)€ 129,90
Third SSD: None€ 0,00
Power: be quiet! Dark Power 13 850W€ 254,90
Cables: Lian Li Strimer Plus V2 24-pin & 16-12€ 134,90
Software: Windows 11 Pro (Dutch)€ 59,00
Building costs: € 99,00

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My second attempt to pick parts for my first ever PC build (my son whats to game on a PC). Please let me know what your thoughts are. The total is € 3.190,20

Case: NZXT H7 Elite RGB (Black, Standaard (without RGB)€ 184,90
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D€ 394,00
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI€ 219,90
Cooling: NZXT Kraken 240 RGB (Black)€ 169,90
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER (MSI GAMING X SLIM)€ 1.199,00
Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade RGB DDR5 (32GB, Black/Silver)€ 154,90
SSD1: Samsung 990 PRO (2 TB)€ 189,90
SSD2: Samsung 990 PRO (1 TB)€ 129,90
Third SSD: None€ 0,00
Power: be quiet! Dark Power 13 850W€ 254,90
Cables: Lian Li Strimer Plus V2 24-pin & 16-12€ 134,90
Software: Windows 11 Pro (Dutch)€ 59,00
Building costs:€ 99,00

Looks bad ass, your son will be very happy on doubt! The AIO is overkill, but you look to be going for asthetics, so no harm no foul (I did the exact same thing on my latest build).
Oh, and make sure that RAM is compatible with your motherboard. You don't say there, but it's DDR5-6000 right?

Cyborg

Looks bad ass, your son will be very happy on doubt! The AIO is overkill, but you look to be going for asthetics, so no harm no foul (I did the exact same thing on my latest build).
Oh, and make sure that RAM is compatible with your motherboard. You don't say there, but it's DDR5-6000 right?
Yeah its ddr5-6000

Top Bottom