• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh im not recommending you go for an AMD card. just poking fun at how a the x70 card is now a replacement for a x80 card when it used to be a replacement for the Titan or the Ti version of their flagship. This is performing like an x60 card from previous gens only its $600 instead of $300.

That isn't true either. The 1070 was a replacement for 980ti. The 2070 was a replacement for the 1080. the 3070 was a replacement for the 2080ti. The 4070 is a replacement for the 3080.

Seems like a pattern. Of course the price is a bit different. Blame our governments spending money like a drunken sailor at a whore house. That and TSMC.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That isn't true either. The 1070 was a replacement for 980ti. The 2070 was a replacement for the 1080. the 3070 was a replacement for the 2080ti. The 4070 is a replacement for the 3080.

Seems like a pattern. Of course the price is a bit different. Blame our governments spending money like a drunken sailor at a whore house. That and TSMC.
Nah the 1070 was definitely the replacement for the titan x. The hardware unboxed video played a PR from nvidia they said as much. The 3070 was a replacement for the 2080 ti which was the flagship $1,200 card since there was no 90 series card that Gen.

The 2070 was indeed equivalent to the 1080 in standard rasterization but it came with ray tracing and dlss cores which pushed it way above the 1080 in terms of value. The only thing they 4070 does better than the 3080 is dlss 3.0. It’s ray tracing performance is identical if not slightly worse than the 3080.

I have no idea what nvidia and amd being greedy has to do with the us government. Nvidia has never been more profitable. Even if you count inflation this should be a $400 4060 card at best.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I am still super impressed with the 32" Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 mini LED monitor

To me if I had to pick one monitor for all applications it would be that

Rtings has the G8 version as the best 32" monitor out there but the G8 I tried has scan lines I could see this G7 does not

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-size/32-inch
To piggyback off this comment, I will have to recommend the monitor I currently have which is the 4K 144 Odyssey g7 28".

Good features excellent aesthetic and great performance. The good thing is these days there's a lot of reasonably priced higher refresh rate monitors and I think that 4K 144 will be a sweet spot for a long time. I'm sure at some point 1440p people (say that ten times fast) may even considering upgrading once that pricing threshold is right because 1440 still looks good on a 27 to 32 in.

Nah the 1070 was definitely the replacement for the titan x. The hardware unboxed video played a PR from nvidia they said as much. The 3070 was a replacement for the 2080 ti which was the flagship $1,200 card since there was no 90 series card that Gen.

The 2070 was indeed equivalent to the 1080 in standard rasterization but it came with ray tracing and dlss cores which pushed it way above the 1080 in terms of value. The only thing they 4070 does better than the 3080 is dlss 3.0. It’s ray tracing performance is identical if not slightly worse than the 3080.

I have no idea what nvidia and amd being greedy has to do with the us government. Nvidia has never been more profitable. Even if you count inflation this should be a $400 4060 card at best.

Big oof on my part about the 980ti vs 1070. It(1070) appears roughly 5-10% faster.

The 2070 and the 1080 would be explained by dlss and ray tracing.

You're not wrong on the last part of your 2nd sentence in that 4070 only does better in dlss. Although, that's not a thing to ignore. That and its 2 gb of vram.

It's not a great value, but it's not terrible either.

Big upgrade from my 1080ti either way. I'd take that over a 6800xt.

The worst part was the <33% of the full die. That was a tough pill to swallow. Ouch.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My current build (i5 8600k, RTX 2070, 32GB RAM) has been hanging in for 1440 gaming, but it's been about 5 years now since my last build, and I just got a big pay increase, so I want to splurge on a new system.

Things that matter to me: 1440p gaming, Ray tracing, VR, emulation, DLSS, 90+fps, AI/GPGPU performance,
Things that don't matter to me: Native 4K, rendering, workstation stuff, extreme overclocking, shiny lights or other cringe gamer aesthetic

So I'm currently thinking:

CPU: i7-3700KF -- Single core performance still matters to me, so I like Intel. The cost is not that much more than the 3600K so I think it makes sense.

GPU: RTX 4070Ti -- I think there really isn't a reasonable "value" or "bang for the buck" sku, here, so better just to shoot for somewhere in the middle. It's spendy but not insanely so.

RAM: 32GB DDR5-6000 -- I was tempted to keep my RAM since I already have a 32GB system, but it seems smart to make the move to DDR5 and those performance gains, and I can keep my old system functional as well.

Gonna keep it air cooled, and get a modest quiet case with no lights. Keeping my multiples M.2 and HDD drives.

I'd avoid the 4070ti @800. The 4070 was tough enough to swallow. I'd go for slightly faster RAM for that Intel. Although, only if you get it on a good deal.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'd avoid the 4070ti @800. The 4070 was tough enough to swallow. I'd go for slightly faster RAM for that Intel. Although, only if you get it on a good deal.
I think the 4080 is just over what I'm willing to spend, and the 4070 seems like a pretty big step down from the Ti.

What speed RAM would you recommend?

What ever you get the best deal on. I thought the sweet spot was 6400-6600.

As far as GPU. That could be good for 1440P. I'm banking that for 4070. So IDK.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Rtings has the G8 version as the best 32" monitor out there but the G8 I tried has scan lines I could see this G7 does not

I like this! But out of curiousity do they have this in a non-curved version? I'm just running my macbook for the time being. My crossover from 2013 finally bit the dust (anyone who remembers these knows what a fluke these were for monitors, even moreso when they got freesync support that eventually turned into gsync support.) but I know now a high quality monitor is going to require good money. I'll probably just end up biting the bullet on this one and calling it a day, seems to tick all the boxes I'm looking for and curved isn't so bad I just prefer to not have it.

Puscifer

It should for the most part. I would up the memory to 32GB. No point in going below that these days.
I'd also say drop that cooler to a thermalright peerless assassin for 30-35 dollars to pay for upping the ram.

EDIT: For some reason some sites are selling this for more than double, just go to Newegg for the original price.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I like this! But out of curiousity do they have this in a non-curved version? I'm just running my macbook for the time being. My crossover from 2013 finally bit the dust (anyone who remembers these knows what a fluke these were for monitors, even moreso when they got freesync support that eventually turned into gsync support.) but I know now a high quality monitor is going to require good money. I'll probably just end up biting the bullet on this one and calling it a day, seems to tick all the boxes I'm looking for and curved isn't so bad I just prefer to not have it.
Not sure about in the 32" size but I tried the 43" mini led that was flat and while it was very nice while gaming it really ghosted and smeared a lot scrolling the internet

the place i ordered my 7950X3D from is now saying they expect stock within 3-5 days. They are saying 21st at the earliest but looks like it won't be delivered any sooner than Tuesday since I didn't get the Saturday delivery. That's if they even receive the stock at all this weekend. It was meant to be in stock Friday there but nope. :messenger_weary:

Yey, found somewhere that actually has a 7950X3D in stock and for £50 cheaper as well! Bought that and cancelled it from the other store. Will need to wait on the refund so I'm another £700 down until then but everything is hopefully being delivered tomorrow!! So happy :)

Sleepwalker

WDSN850 came in the mail yesterday, installed it and reinstalled windows, so far so good. PC is super snappy with no freezes or hangups, chrome works as well.

I wasnt able to get it to recognize the other ssd at all which sucks because I didnt have a backup for the data, oh well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...ces-drop-below-msrp-starting-at-1549-1149-us/

Im surprised more hasnt been made about this but it looks like the 4080 and 4090s have received minor price cuts.

This doesn’t make them remotely close to a good deal, but savings is savings right?

The 40 series will only become attractive if everything drops a tier in pricing.

Im inclined to believe that nvidias plan was to keep 40 series prices high for the first year and then drop them down to reasonable pricing. 4080 should be $899 at most. 4070 Ti $649, 4070 $499…

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Samsung has far and away the best VA panels in terms of response time. I wish other monitor manufacturers would adopt what Samsung does.

I have the G65B which is 1440p/240Hz and the contrast is superior to my M27Q IPS. I get great contrast and excellent response times. Although the QC could still be better. I get weird flickering and it often struggles to wake up without unplugging it.

This seems to be the first time that the 7950X3D has been in stock for more than 2 seconds since launch! I got mine yesterday (coming today) but Scan here in the UK still has stock and they are selling it for £700.

I suppose most people are waiting on the 7800X3D but if like me anyone has been wanting one then you can get one here. You're also getting the new Star Wars game with it. I think I missed that when I bought it yesterday but whatever I'd have given it away anyway.

Edit: CCL actually has it in too for a little cheaper at £691.

Edit: my PC parts ain't coming until up till 7PM :messenger_crying: so looks like i'll be doing everything tomorrow. Emailed Scan about getting a Jedi code. Even though I probably won't ever play it I might as well ask for it since it's free. If I can give it away I will.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

After 6 years I'm finally upgrading from:
1080Ti
6800k @4GHz
Asrock x99 Taichi
16 gig 3600 ddr4(had 32Gig but ripped it out along with HDs due to blue screens the odd time, most likely failed HDs caused the issue, other than this issue was 100% stable all the time)

To:
4070Ti - got last month, bottlenecked by CPU in games(3440 × 1440 rez screen with gsynch ) but expected though
7800x3d - arrived today along with AIO mount
WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe SSD 2TB due Friday(along with KVM)
ASUS PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI - due Saturday
G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB DDR5 Kit (2x16GB) 6000MHz, CL32, AMD EXPO - due Saturday also.

Exciting times 😀

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
This seems to be the first time that the 7950X3D has been in stock for more than 2 seconds since launch! I got mine yesterday (coming today) but Scan here in the UK still has stock and they are selling it for £700.

I suppose most people are waiting on the 7800X3D but if like me anyone has been wanting one then you can get one here. You're also getting the new Star Wars game with it. I think I missed that when I bought it yesterday but whatever I'd have given it away anyway.

Edit: CCL actually has it in too for a little cheaper at £691.

Edit: my PC parts ain't coming until up till 7PM :messenger_crying: so looks like i'll be doing everything tomorrow. Emailed Scan about getting a Jedi code. Even though I probably won't ever play it I might as well ask for it since it's free. If I can give it away I will.
The code won’t work because you got a 3D version sadly

Here we go. All the parts are here! New cpu, new motherboard, new RAM, new ssd. specs:

7950x3d, 64GB ddr5 6000 cl32, asus b650e-e, and 2TB 7.3GB/s ssd.

please wish me luck because i need it! The last time I tried building an AMD pc it ended up a nightmare. I posted in this thread about it starting from post #68. for love for the pc gaming gods, let this work! praise be to gaben! may i have low temperatures and high framerates in thy name! thank you! amen :messenger_beaming:

The code won’t work because you got a 3D version sadly
Aw well whatever. I'd probably never have played it anyway.

EDIT:

Been building my PC and *so far so good*. Made a couple silly mistakes! :messenger_tears_of_joy: First time I tried booting it wouldn't go. Turns out I didn't click the RAM sticks in properly lol.

Tried booting again after fixing the sticks but still wouldn't boot. Updated the BIOS and that helped.

Now I am trying to install Windows. So I'll see how that goes.

EDIT2:

had a bit of a problem installing Windows. My ethernet cable nor WiFi was being detected. I had to use a USB to Ethernet adapter to get a connection. Thankfully, once I had updated windows and installed drivers it started working.

Got most of my PC all set back up. It'll take a few days to go through the settings for all my apps but the main thing is the PC is working (so far. it's still early). i've enabled EXPO settings on my RAM and it's now running at 6000 CL32.

will install my game drive later and see how it is when gaming.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Gameplay on an AMD system (ie 7800x3d) would be just a smooth as Intel, right? For example, just as good performance with minimum frame rates and 1% lows, not just the average fps?

Last edited:
After 6 years I'm finally upgrading from:
1080Ti
6800k @4GHz
Asrock x99 Taichi
16 gig 3600 ddr4(had 32Gig but ripped it out along with HDs due to blue screens the odd time, most likely failed HDs caused the issue, other than this issue was 100% stable all the time)

To:
4070Ti - got last month, bottlenecked by CPU in games(3440 × 1440 rez screen with gsynch ) but expected though
7800x3d - arrived today along with AIO mount
WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe SSD 2TB due Friday(along with KVM)
ASUS PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI - due Saturday
G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB DDR5 Kit (2x16GB) 6000MHz, CL32, AMD EXPO - due Saturday also.

Exciting times 😀

Huge upgrade from the 1080ti to the 4070. I still hate paying that price for a xx60 card.

Old score went from this.

To this.

My PC is now up and running...mostly. Had a few issues but worked them out. The only thing remaining is that the undervolt on my GPU doesn't seem to be working. I try set it in MSI afteburner but the numbers are all off.

Haven't tried playing any games yet. Only have CS:GO and Fortnite installed.
Gameplay on an AMD system (ie 7800x3d) would be just a smooth as Intel, right? For example, just as good performance with minimum frame rates and 1% lows, not just the average fps?
smoother in most cases. of course there are some games where the 13900K will run better than an AMD cpu. when the AMD cpus fall behind it's neglible because 1) you're talking about frame rates at like 200+ and 2) most benchmarks are done with a 4090 at 1080p which is fucking stupid so if you're playing on a weaker card and/or at a higher resolution then you're not going to notice as much a difference. these new 7000 series 3D cpus are serious competition for Intel....and they run cooler and more efficient.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Trying to put a new SSD in my PC with Windows11. Isn't there a way to just have it as a new shoved drive without this "storage spaces" crap? My 4 other drives don't have any such weird configuration they're just drives but I can't find a way to add this new drive without going through that stuff.

Edit: never mind, with doing crap removing the hardware in device manager or whatever I managed to make it show up as unallocated space in Disk Management view and from there added it as a simple volume as normal and not an assigned Storage Space or whatever that stuff does now.

So what games benefit the most from SSD to install a few on it now that I have some more space outside my tiny boot OS SSD (it's only 500GB though)? Whether in having crazy bad load times otherwise or actual game performance effects due to streaming assets or whatever?

Last edited:

Puscifer

Picked up the Alienware after discovering they have a 3 year burn in warranty and just said screw it. Image is amazing, even with limited range and RGB calibrated colors are *just* poppy enough to look vibrant without over saturation.

Also discovered that OLED screws with my phone's camera, which is odd because I've only seen this with LEDs but I don't care. Didn't think I'd be a fan of ultra wide either but screw it, I didn't get a 4080 to play 20 year old games to whine about their lack of support for ultra wide. I want the Asus honestly but their warranty is scary, maybe, just maybe if bh photo gets it in stock the next week I'll return this guy for it, get it Taxfree with my Payboo card and get the Square trade 3 year warranty.

As of now I would recommend it to anyone.

FFm4j50fgHqq.jpg

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Picked up the Alienware after discovering they have a 3 year burn in warranty and just said screw it. Image is amazing, even with limited range and RGB calibrated colors are *just* poppy enough to look vibrant without over saturation.

Also discovered that OLED screws with my phone's camera, which is odd because I've only seen this with LEDs but I don't care. Didn't think I'd be a fan of ultra wide either but screw it, I didn't get a 4080 to play 20 years games to whine about their lack of support for ultra wide. I want the Asus honestly but their warranty is scary, maybe, just maybe if bh photo gets it in stock the next week I'll return this guy for it, get it Taxfree with my Payboo card and get the Square trade 3 year warranty.

FFm4j50fgHqq.jpg
This is the monitor im looking for to replace my current dual 27" setup. But I want to get a 4090 first.

One thing is id prefer a 4k monitor but I believe at a desk distance 1440p is fine enough and I could always hook the pc up to the big tv or the 48" oled monitor the wife uses.

Last edited:

Puscifer

This is the monitor im looking for to replace my current dual 27" setup. But I want to get a 4090 first.

One thing is id prefer a 4k monitor but I believe at a desk distance 1440p is fine enough and I could always hook the tv up to the big tv or the 48" oled monitor the wife uses.
Honestly the pixel density is great and I don't see the pixel pattern like I would on a lesser monitor. Also, once you set the scaling to 125% the text fringing is basically gone on the desktop so now all we need is Microsoft to update cleartype so it can be gone completely.

I had a few more issues with my new PC last night (7950X3D/B650E-E)

First one was when I plugged in my USB drive on the front panel to copy some files to it and explorer kept crashing and at one point Windows completely shit itself. No BSOD or anything though. I had to power down and reboot. This happened multiple times. I tried formatting it and opening my case to make sure the USB header was in correctly but it still kept happening. My other USB drives work no problem in the same port. The drive is a cheap Amazon Basics so yeah...

Second issue, I tried stress testing my CPU/RAM with Prime95 and it was going really well. Anytime I use this usually it shows errors within <30 minutes but it was going for an hour and my CPU never went beyond 73C which is impressive. The thing is that when I came back to my PC and stopped it I noticed that my internet had cut out. I use an ethernet cable but the icon had changed to the little global icon. I thought maybe my router/modem might have cut out (I sometimes get internet disconnections with my ISP) but the WiFi was still working on my phone. I tried going into the settings to re-enable the ethernet adapter but it was completely missing! Rebooted the PC and it started working. Apparently, this motherboard has issues with the Intel i225V ethernet. My drivers were up to date but I uninstalled the LAN driver and reinstalled it. I also read I should disable the option to let it power down to save energy so I did. Also I noticed my motherboard just got a new BIOS update so have updated to that. Fingers crossed that this fixes it. I really can't be bothered dealing with getting a replacement or having to get a refund and buy another board if it's a faulty port.

Third issue, getting into BIOS. I tried spamming/holding F2 or DEL but it boots right up into Windows. There is no display output until the Windows login screen so I don't see any boot logo. I've even tried having Windows boot into the recovery (?) mode and then picking the BIOS option but that doesn't work. The only thing that works is shutting off the PC and clearing CMOS. It's a bit of a hassle that I need to wipe the CMOS if I want to get into the BIOS but really not a major issue. I only have a few basic settings changed in it (my RAM speed, fan speed, secure boot) and don't plan on overclocking. Hopefully with more BIOS updates it fixes itself.

Not really a problem but I timed how long it takes to boot my PC and it's 1 minute 32 seconds :messenger_open_mouth:. I knew that these boards take longer to boot because of memory training but I read it was only like 40-70 seconds. Again, it's not a problem but still needs getting used to lol.

Last edited:

splattered

Finally got my i9-13900KF/64gb/4090 overly expensive pre-built set up and data mostly migrated from the old pc ... (What a pain ugh) and now i'm looking for monitor/speaker recommendations. I work from home and i'm used to using a dual screen setup but i just have some crappy monitors at the moment. A curved 27" 1080p screen with weak speakers and an ancient 19" 720p haha. My previous PC had DVI (1070ti) so i could use the 19" monitor but now the 4090 just has HDMI/DP. I could buy an adapter cable and keep using what i'm using but i also kinda want to just move up to a better 1440p setup if possible. That being said, i'm not looking to spend THOUSANDS on just a couple monitors on top of what i spent on the PC itself. I see some people rock dual 27" 1440p and some run a single 32/34" ? Seeing as i currently use two screens i'm not sure i want to try to adapt to just one larger monitor though? And then if i'm forced to get monitors without speakers (I mostly work on this thing, i listen to music and maybe some light gaming but i'm no audiophile) then what sort of speaker setup would be recommended? Not looking to spend a ton here either. I spent about $2,700 out of pocket after taxes for the Alienware R15 with a 3 year warranty so trying to keep costs down somewhat on screens/speakers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Also discovered that OLED screws with my phone's camera, which is odd because I've only seen this with LEDs but I don't care. Didn't think I'd be a fan of ultra wide either but screw it, I didn't get a 4080 to play 20 year old games to whine about their lack of support for ultra wide. I want the Asus honestly but their warranty is scary, maybe, just maybe if bh photo gets it in stock the next week I'll return this guy for it, get it Taxfree with my Payboo card and get the Square trade 3 year warranty.

FFm4j50fgHqq.jpg
I would so get the wooting but if only it was white. I like white peripherals

don't want to jinx myself but I went yesterday and today with no problems on my pc! I can only assume the latest BIOS fixed some things. Had all those issues on version 1408 with only 4-5 hours usage and since updating to 1409 I've went 12.5 hours with no problems.

Still early though. Let's see if I can go a full week! :messenger_smiling:

Puscifer

don't want to jinx myself but I went yesterday and today with no problems on my pc! I can only assume the latest BIOS fixed some things. Had all those issues on version 1408 with only 4-5 hours usage and since updating to 1409 I've went 12.5 hours with no problems.

Still early though. Let's see if I can go a full week! :messenger_smiling:
Rooting for you! I wanted to stay with AMD but the boot issues made me go for a 13600K

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant bios issues. I had a 7600X with 2 minute boot times and that just killed my interest in it
Oh alright! Yeah the memory training is a bit of a nuisance. My PC took 92 seconds to boot up to the point where I login. I've saw people say it takes them 40-70 seconds but might be because I have 64GB ram so the training takes a bit longer. There is meant to be a setting in the BIOS that disables the memory training but then I've read some people experience crashing with it off. I don't know why they need to train the memory at every boot. Hopefully they can cut it down with future BIOS updates.

Last edited:

splattered

One thing is id prefer a 4k monitor but I believe at a desk distance 1440p is fine enough and I could always hook the pc up to the big tv or the 48" oled monitor the wife uses.
Sorry i missed your post before i posted my question... do you use your PC for work/general tasks or just gaming?

I am torn between a dual 27" setup and a single larger monitor :(

Just built a new PC. First time in like 20 years. Here are the parts I used:
Asus X670E Hero motherboard
7800x3d with corsair H115i AIO cooler.
G.Skill Trident 2x16 gb DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96.
RTX 3090
Samsung 990 pro 2 tb m.2 drive.
EVGA SuperNova G3 850W PSU

Getting a lot of boot issues. At first, I could get into Windows no problem. I would only have an issue if I did a restart. It would get hung up on the "press del to enter bios" screen and freeze there. It was difficult/annoying to do a fresh install of Windows because doing so requires a restart and I wasn't sure what was going on at first. Now I'm not able to get into bios or windows from a cold start. I can hit the CMOS button and get into the BIOS but that only works 1 time. After that I have to keep hitting CMOS if I want to enter bios again. I ran memtest 64, passed it without any errors so I don't think it's my ram. I think the issue lies with the motherboard. Or another thing I think it could be is that even though the ram is working properly, maybe my motherboard doesn't support CL30? I've read AM5 and especially Asus boards are very finicky with what type of ram they place nice with.

Last edited:

Deraj

RTX 3090

Getting a lot of boot issues. At first, I could get into Windows no problem. I would only have an issue if I did a restart. It would get hung up on the "press del to enter bios" screen and freeze there. It was difficult/annoying to do a fresh install of Windows because doing so requires a restart and I wasn't sure what was going on at first. Now I'm not able to get into bios or windows from a cold start. I can hit the CMOS button and get into the BIOS but that only works 1 time. After that I have to keep hitting CMOS if I want to enter bios again. I ran memtest 64, passed it without any errors so I don't think it's my ram. I think the issue lies with the motherboard. Or another thing I think it could be is that even though the ram is working properly, maybe my motherboard doesn't support CL30? I've read AM5 and especially Asus boards are very finicky with what type of ram they place nice with.
Have you tried booting with a single stick of RAM? Follow the motherboard manual to see which slot to use.

Celcius

°Temp. member
RTX 3090

Are you running the very latest bios?

GreatnessRD

RTX 3090

I'm thinking its your motherboard. And as Celcius added, are you running the latest BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom