• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ampere Analysis] - In 2023, PS5 Sold 22.5m Units This Year (+65% YoY), Xbox Series 7.6m (-15% YoY) And Switch 16.4m (-18% YoY) WW

MrA

According to this no. 22.5
fiscal, so next quarter but subtract out jan-mar of last year. But that quarter was the burn-off of 2 years of pent-up demand, so I'm positive it will be lower. Sony will miss the target, but the year will still be superb, one of their best.
Nintendo, nice gentle decline, next year is the perfect replacement year... waiting till 2025 would be a disaster. Should hit 150 million lifetime, but reaching the DS or ps2 is a long shot, but possible
Xbox, pfft, that's game, dropping nearly as fast as the Switch at half the age, probably only move 5 million units next year
Saying the analysis is accurate

Phil Spencer has got to be the worst executive of all time. He's got the biggest credit card and more resources than any other man in history and yet here they are. The guy doesn't know how to sell hardware. The Gamepass pivot failed and the Beth/ABK acquisitions will inevitably fail (because those companies are built/financed on selling games to large userbases which MS alone doesn't have). How is this guy still in charge?

Phil Spencer has got to be the worst executive of all time. He's got the biggest credit card and more resources than any other man in history and yet here they are. The guy doesn't know how to sell hardware. The Gamepass pivot failed and the Beth/ABK acquisitions will inevitably fail (because those companies are built/financed on selling games to large userbases which MS alone doesn't have). How is this guy still in charge?
I honestly think it's a Kathleen Kennedy situation. Star Wars is in a completely degraded condition, now. The movies dropped off to nothing and the shows ratings have plummeted. However, you have people at the very top who have no clue about SW or what the majority of fans really want, so they just rely on those already in the company to fix it. Even though those same people are why they're in this mess. You also have no one who's willing to stand up and take charge, most likely because those who they would be replacing would probably try to get them cancelled for taking their job.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
As you grow older and get more experience you realize people were able to secure positions by mostly talking highly of themselves and their vision, while lacking the actual talent. I've seen people who advance failure after failure, people who advance by stealing every creative from someplace else (references...), and I now work for two people who have never been in advertising run an advertising agency (pay is good, I wfh, and job is easy).

Phil Spencer basically landed roles I guess because no one else was there to handle them. Looking at his resume after only 3 years and starting as an intern in Microsoft, because he was known to play Ultima, they gave him the role of managing Rare and Lionhead studios, and he did such a great job that he got promoted more and more until where he is now. So basically he was failing upwards for years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As you grow older and get more experience you realize people were able to secure positions by mostly talking highly of themselves and their vision, while lacking the actual talent. I've seen people who advance failure after failure, people who advance by stealing every creative from someplace else (references...), and I now work for two people who have never been in advertising run an advertising agency (pay is good, I wfh, and job is easy).

Phil Spencer basically landed roles I guess because no one else was there to handle them. Looking at his resume after only 3 years and starting as an intern in Microsoft, because he was known to play Ultima, they gave him the role of managing Rare and Lionhead studios, and he did such a great job that he got promoted more and more until where he is now. So basically he was failing upwards for years.
And he had the MSFT E.E.E career moment of consolidating a big chunk of the gaming industry.

Just cut the check, daddy.

Last edited:
7.6m seems a bit high for xbox considering its down more than that in other territories. Do you have the numbers Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 ?

They'd be heavily leaning on just the US and UK for that number but it is possible. Barely, but possible.

Those wishing Xbox hardware away - unlikely.

Their future is clearly multiplat publishing on mobile, PC, iOS and console though.

yazenov

I think these numbers were discussed here along with the PS5 50 million announcement.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
A console should sell 10 million a year minimum, imo.

Oh dear MS. what do you do now?

I'd like to think they could well 1.5 to 2 million console in December with those price drops around the world.

I think they could be fooked.

Last edited:

demigod

They'd be heavily leaning on just the US and UK for that number but it is possible. Barely, but possible.

Those wishing Xbox hardware away - unlikely.

Their future is clearly multiplat publishing on mobile, PC, iOS and console though.
I can see the future spins by the green rats.

Leader of the Green Rats Beret
Timdog: ponies are so desperate for xbox games, ms has decided to release games on playstation

I can see the future spins by the green rats.

Leader of the Green Rats Beret
Timdog: ponies are so desperate for xbox games, ms has decided to release games on playstation

That's already started on twitter. I think deep down everyone, even the most entrenched, knows that the current paradigm isn't sustainable.

I personally think Microsoft are better suited to innovating in services and software.

I can see a future where Xbox withdraws all but a token console from that space and Sony and Microsoft work together. Apple looks like they'll come knocking and that's a fight that I don't think either can win alone.

If I'm Xbox then releasing my games on 200m PlayStation and Nintendo consoles, android, PC, smart TVs etc is infinitely more appealing than what is increasingly a vanity project in console hardware.

Take that loss and channel that money into areas where they can be successful.

It will however come at a lot of pain for many development studios. When you don't view each game as contributing to making hardware appealing, and it's better to keep costs in mind for gamepass development.

So essentially each studio will have their output heavily scrutinised (like Sony do with their teams actually) and the cuts will come where they need to.

What would be interesting would be if Sony and Nintendo started fighting over marketing rights for Microsoft owned content - that's another area of opportunity for Microsoft that they don't have at the moment.

Last edited:
Why is Xbox doing so poorly?

I think we need to contextualise that outside of the 360, which succeeded because they have amazing leadership with Peter Moore and Sony's huge fuck up, this is the norm for Xbox.

Their current leadership doesn't have a strategy that they follow through.

Their brand is damaged and on life support in many countries.

They've not got their software sorted yet, despite being in the game almost as long as Sony.

I personally think Xbox has tried to fight on too many fronts for too long. They've always felt like they were flailing around and are basically the master of none.

Sony knows that the core of their business is console sales which are driven by exclusive software. They've wisely safeguarded and nurtured that while quietly getting their ducks in a row for expansion onto other devices.

Xbox have been loud about being everywhere and as a result haven't had focus. I genuinely think if Peter Moore or even someone with half of his drive and ambition was around at Xbox that things would have been a lot less comfy for Sony.

Outside of supporting a shit football team, I think he's one of the best execs the business has ever had.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

My take on that is that it is because PS4 was 120 million strong and Xbox Series has given those gamers very little incentive to abandon their PS game libraries for Xbox. New gamers coming in are nearly always going to follow the leader.

And fact of the matter is that 99% of games are on both platforms. At that point, it becomes a format war and PlayStation is winning by default.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Compared to PlayStation, it's notably poor. However (and I've been saying this for years), Xbox is no PlayStation, never has been, and saw much of their luck change when Sony fumbled. Historically, if it (PlayStation) is steamrollin' ahead, Xbox hasn't stood a chance. These numbers are actually about what I would expect an Xbox to sell (albeit, a good deal better as they're down quite a bit).

The focus now should be to capitalize on their strengths and stop trying to chase down Sony's speeding, and very ahead, locomotive.

Last edited:

sendit

- Halo Infinite failed to land
- Redfall failed to land
- Starfield failed to become the game of the generation
- Forza Motorsport 2023 is an embarrassment to the franchise
- Series S gutted Series X sales

Microsoft needs to make COD console exclusive if they want to remain competitive. Now there are rumors of Microsoft cutting this generation short with a next gen Xbox slated for 2025. Great way to earn trust from your loyal customers.

Last edited:
- Halo Infinite failed to land
- Redfall failed to land
- Starfield failed to become the game of the generation
- Forza Motorsport 2023 is an embarrassment to the franchise
- Series S gutted Series X sales

Microsoft needs to make COD console exclusive if they want to remain competitive. Now there are rumors of Microsoft cutting this generation short with a next gen Xbox slated for 2025. Great way to earn trust from your loyal customers.

Contractually they can't do that for 10 years. Any attempt to circumvent that would pull them back in front of regulators.

I'm not entirely sure that the next Xbox people are discussing is a next gen console in the traditional sense. I have no info about that, but the discussion around multiplat development wouldn't lead to a new Xbox selling well at all.

Woopah

fiscal, so next quarter but subtract out jan-mar of last year. But that quarter was the burn-off of 2 years of pent-up demand, so I'm positive it will be lower. Sony will miss the target, but the year will still be superb, one of their best.
Nintendo, nice gentle decline, next year is the perfect replacement year... waiting till 2025 would be a disaster. Should hit 150 million lifetime, but reaching the DS or ps2 is a long shot, but possible
Xbox, pfft, that's game, dropping nearly as fast as the Switch at half the age, probably only move 5 million units next year
Saying the analysis is accurate
Fully agree. I would only add that I believe these estimates are for sold to consumers, while Sony's and Nintendo's targets are for shipments.

So, the shipments for 2023 calendar year could indeed be around 25 million (though yes, shipments will most likely be down YoY for Sony's Q4 for FY2024.

A console should sell 10 million a year minimum, imo.

Oh dear MS. what do you do now?

I'd like to think they could well 1.5 to 2 million console in December with those price drops around the world.

I think they could be fooked.

There's a danger in dropping the price even further. It can make people question the products quality if the price is a lot lower than competing products.

nowhat

we know this
10hexADl3Kl6SY.gif

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Hate to be that guy, but we already have this thread... :p

Ar¢tos

No. of active users
Playstation 107m
Xbox 120m
At 1$/month, that many of those users accumulated years of, it's no surprise.

We have a 7 year old console, selling less in percentage comparison, still sells more than double units compared to Xbox.

Spencer must have a gay sex tape of "Nutella" to be able to keep his job after such a failure.

There is only one direction Xbox can go after this...
sega-sega-logo.gif

Fabieter

Looks like Nintendo would be timing it perfectly if Super Switch is released around the holiday season in late 2024

Also looks like Xbox Series has run it's course, MS is going to have to rush out a new Xbox in 2025 if they are serious about continuing to be a platform holder

Imo it's aweful to just reset your hardware just because you messef up yet again. Stop being a platformholder if they can't do it right.

Ar¢tos

I don't think that is realistic. To release new hardware in Q4 2025, mass production needs to start early 2025, specs have to be nearly finalised now to produce prototypes and the chips take months to produce, so devs kits would only be sent late 2024.
Not enough time for studios to make 3 proper versions of the games for launch (XSS, XSX, next gen), new hardware would do almost nothing to brand image, they already have the most powerful console, and the generational jump would be minimal, just better res and maybe a bit more raytracing.

It would be seen more like a "pro" than new gen, and only the hardcore fans would buy it (and it would make MS lose even more per unit than the XSX).

Edit : quoted the wrong person, it was meant to be U Unknown Soldier

Last edited:
Looks like Nintendo would be timing it perfectly if Super Switch is released around the holiday season in late 2024

Also looks like Xbox Series has run it's course, MS is going to have to rush out a new Xbox in 2025 if they are serious about continuing to be a platform holder
MS releasing a new console in 2025 won't change anything about them. No one will care.

I don't think that is realistic. To release new hardware in Q4 2025, mass production needs to start early 2025, specs have to be nearly finalised now to produce prototypes and the chips take months to produce, so devs kits would only be sent late 2024.
Not enough time for studios to make 3 proper versions of the games for launch (XSS, XSX, next gen), new hardware would do almost nothing to brand image, they already have the most powerful console, and the generational jump would be minimal, just better res and maybe a bit more raytracing.

It would be seen more like a "pro" than new gen, and only the hardcore fans would buy it (and it would make MS lose even more per unit than the XSX).

Edit : quoted the wrong person, it was meant to be U Unknown Soldier

The only positioning for new hardware would be at the extreme top end.

If they went the pro-route what would they achieve? Their hardcore would buy another console which wouldn't actively build addressable userbase.

If it's next gen they'll piss off a lot of their current userbase. They'll still have developers having to support the Series S. The PS5 and Nintendo consoles will continue to steamroll.

It's genuinely only making sense if they pull themselves out of the war and go high end PC. Their hardcore will buy it, they can rightly say that they haven't abandoned the console space and they can still have a device that hosts gamepass.

Trying to outdo Sony again is a fools game. Everyone can see that now.

If they try to compete again it means they'll have had the Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X and the new console. That totals less than 200m units sold overall by the time that releases.

Sony and Nintendo will have both outsold all of those with just their last two consoles each in that time frame.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

They make the wrong decisions, mainly by releasing games Day 1 on PC and GamePass, which results in xbox consoles becoming obsolete.

That and Playstation and Nintendo games easily outclass Xbox games, so as a brand Playstation and Nintendo are extremely strong worldwide and Xbox has become irrelevant.

The only people denying these things are the vocal minority you see on gaming forums and certain parts of social media that are out of touch with reality.

yurinka

It's weird to see these numbers when MS spent almost $100M on acquisitions these years.

I'd say the main reason is to release all their games on PC and to do it day one, plus also including all of them day one on a sub. And on top of that, these games being less and worse than the ones from their direct competition. Plus also having an underpowered console that prevents devs taking full advantage of the more powerful one.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It's weird to see these numbers when MS spent almost $100M on acquisitions these years.
I think they spent it because of these numbers. They are aiming for the future. I won't be surprised to see a new console and branding in 2025. Hopefully they will just call is Xbox 5.

Should be enough to make anyone raise an eyebrow.

To what end?
How far back in history do you want to go? Back in the year 1999-2000 or so, Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer were worried that Sony's control of the living room could be a threat to Windows if Sony ever tried to extend their dominance in consumers electronics to computers. The original purpose of the "DirectX Box" was to establish a beachhead in the living room and extend the Windows monopoly there to do battle with Sony, thus killing 2 birds with one stone. MS never cared about gaming, they only cared about finding a reason to fight with Sony.

Of course, Sony has never been interested in doing battle with Windows or MS, and in fact Sony instead decided to become a large media conglomerate which has nothing to do with markets MS traditionally occupied. On the other hand, MS has repeatedly attempted to invade consumer electronics. They tried to attack spinning round movie discs when they fought in the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray format war, a war that forced Sony to enlist literally the entire consumer electronics industry in a never before seen total alliance to fight MS and Toshiba. Microsoft's other ill-fated forays into battlefields beyond their monopoly strongholds include such luminary products like Zune, Surface, and Windows Phone.

Meanwhile, the Xbox brand has become probably the most important consumer-facing brand that MS has, and since nobody likes Windows and Office they have put a lot of resources into Xbox as it's also used to help improve the company's overall consumer image. The failure of Xbox is bad for the company's brand and reputation because without Xbox, MS is just that monopolist who forces everyone on Earth to resentfully use Windows and Office.

MS has spent untold hundreds of billions of US Dollars over the past few decades invading markets they have no genuine financial interest in just because quite frankly they have too much money and nothing to do with it and monopolists like to jump at shadows thinking they are threats. Sony was never a threat to MS, don't fucking care about MS, and would like it if MS fucking just leaves them alone. Meanwhile MS acts like Sony is some existential threat. It beggars belief but that's how monopolists view the world and MS is an exemplary monopolist.

Top Bottom