• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ampere Analysis] - In 2023, PS5 Sold 22.5m Units This Year (+65% YoY), Xbox Series 7.6m (-15% YoY) And Switch 16.4m (-18% YoY) WW

Pelta88

Capture_decran_2023-12-20_a_14.29.44.png

Capture_decran_2023-12-20_a_14.21.29.png

Looks like Nintendo would be timing it perfectly if Super Switch is released around the holiday season in late 2024

Also looks like Xbox Series has run it's course, MS is going to have to rush out a new Xbox in 2025 if they are serious about continuing to be a platform holder

Pelta88

Looks like Nintendo would be timing it perfectly if Super Switch is released around the holiday season in late 2024

Also looks like Xbox Series has run it's course, MS is going to have to rush out a new Xbox in 2025 if they are serious about continuing to be a platform holder

Changing the hardware wont address the issues of the platform itself.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
There’s no possibly way I see for Xbox to get out of the 3rd spot no matter what they do. It’s gonna be Sony and Nintendo leading the way again. They may even fall behind steamdeck if it really takes off.
3rd spot would be fine if they were at least a close 3rd but they're so far behind that the PS5 will lap them soon.

That the Switch is declining about as much as the Xbox despite being on its last legs and coming down from much higher numbers is wild. Phil Spencer and the top brass completely failed their fans. 2024 was supposed to be THE year to reestablish the brand with major AAA outings in Redfall, Starfield, and Forza but all three under delivered. Now we must look towards Fable, Hellblade, and Avowed, but given Microsoft' track record, what are the odds that these don't flop?

At this point, they should just commit instead of half-assing it. Fully become a publisher with the desire to be on every device. The console is practically dead weight now.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

Xbox's problem isn't hardware. It is studio output, which they've kind of solved now with the Zenimax and ABK acquisitions.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS would like to acquire EA and T2 but realistically after the resistance they faced from regulators trying to acquire ABK they know that ship has sailed
What resistance when it came to console SLS? US judge caved, EU caved, and even UK caved all due to "the cloud concerns."

They only need to offload that "concern" to UbiSoft again (only to gobble them up too in 10-15), since console SLS doesn't matter, and claim they need to "compete" with Google, Amazon, Apple, etc.

Regulators are telling everyone what the WEF future is being paved with. Cloud, owning nothing and being happy. It's all theater, you see.

Of course I'm being a bit facetious. Or am I?

Child Smile GIF

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
What resistance when it came to console SLS? US judge caved, EU caved, and even UK caved all due to "the cloud concerns."

They only need to offload that "concern" to UbiSoft again (only to gobble them up too in 10-15), since console SLS doesn't matter, and claim they need to "compete" with Google, Amazon, Apple, etc.

Regulators are telling everyone what the WEF future is being paved with. Cloud, owning nothing and being happy. It's all theater, you see.

Of course I'm being a bit facetious. Or am I?

Child Smile GIF
giphy.gif

Jesb

3rd spot would be fine if they were at least a close 3rd but they're so far behind that the PS5 will lap them soon.

That the Switch is declining about as much as the Xbox despite being on its last legs and coming down from much higher numbers is wild. Phil Spencer and the top brass completely failed their fans. 2024 was supposed to be THE year to reestablish the brand with major AAA outings in Redfall, Starfield, and Forza but all three under delivered. Now we must look towards Fable, Hellblade, and Avowed, but given Microsoft' track record, what are the odds that these don't flop?

At this point, they should just commit instead of half-assing it. Fully become a publisher with the desire to be on every device. The console is practically dead weight now.
That would make the most business wise sense for them. I don’t know they’d continue with another Xbox. Just become a full publisher and keep pushing gamepass like they are. Keep pushing gamepass, xcloud and they should be good.

Mr Moose

I know but the analysis is an estimate for the fiscal year… if not That would put the Switch around 18 million, thats 3 million more than Nintendo forecast.
I might be reading the OP wrong but... That's not fiscal year. Looks like it might be up until now-ish, end of November?
If we apply the same rule for the 3, is more.
Wait what, does the Xbox line go up in your image?

Last edited:

Del_X

So Microsoft just allocated a bunch of chips to the cloud during Covid instead of consumers, then when supply loosened people went with their preferred choice (Sony).

Microsoft had an opening and blew it. I’m fine with them doing a tic tock upgrade cycle starting in 2026 lasting 3-4 years between major and minor revisions. I also don’t expect any Xbox hardware to ever sell spectacularly.

You know what fiscal year means, right?
They wouldn't be announcing fiscal year sales in DECEMBER, when the year end is MARCH.
If this is accurate this is yearly sales, not fiscal sales.
I know, but i think this analysis is about the fiscal year… Could be wrong

Top Bottom