• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Monthly Charts November 2023 | PS5 #1 +376% YOY, Switch #2 -35% YOY and Xbox series S/X #3 -26% YOY

jm89

Europe posted a solid month for video game sales during November, driven by Call of Duty, EA Sports FC 24 and PS5.

24.6 million video games were sold across tracked European markets, a rise of 20% over the year before. However, this is because November 2023 was a 'five week' month compared with the four weeks of November 2022. If we just look at the same four week period, sales were actually down slightly by 2%.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was the big driver of sales. It was the only real new release of note for the month, and made up for the absence of other AAA titles (last year saw the release of God of War Ragnarök and Pokémon Scarlet and Violet). Last year's Call of Duty (Modern Warfare 2) launched in October, so it was a significantly bigger November for COD this year than last year.

However, for its first four weeks, Modern Warfare 3's sales were 33% down compared with Modern Warfare 2. This year's title was similar to last year's release, which may have impacted interest. It was still comfortably the best-selling game of the month.
Elsewhere, EA Sports FC 24 sold 3% additional units over November compared with FIFA 23 (for the same five-week period). The game was discounted heavily over the Black Friday period.

Sticking with football, the second biggest new game of the month was Football Manager 2024, which sits at No.10. The game narrowly sold a little less than last year's title for its first four weeks on sale.
The other new game in the chart is Super Mario RPG on Switch, which makes No.13. Nintendo doesn't share digital data, so it may have charted higher if download figures were available.

For its first three weeks on sale, the SNES remake sold 13% fewer units than 2020's Paper Mario: The Origami King (which is also a Mario RPG). Of course, Super Mario RPG had competition from this Christmas' big Mario game, Super Mario Bros Wonder, which continues to sell very well at No.4. In fact, Wonder's sales only dropped 15% compared with October, which was when the title came out.
November also saw the release of Hogwarts Legacy on Switch. The game also received discounts over Black Friday on the other platforms, and as a result sales surged 509% month-on-month. The Switch version accounted for over half of the game's November sales. The Warner Bros game seems destined to end 2023 as the second biggest game of the year behind EA Sports FC 24.

In terms of Black Friday, 7.8 million games were sold that week, a slight drop of 1% over the same period in 2022. EA Sports FC 24 was comfortably the best-selling title of Black Friday, followed by Call of Duty and Hogwarts Legacy.
Over in console, and 1.3 million units of hardware were sold across tracked markets. If we just look at the same four week period as last year, sales are up 59% year-on-year

This was entirely driven by PS5, which was in stock over the popular Black Friday period for the first time since it launched in 2020. PS5 sales are up 376% over the year before, and was comfortably the biggest console of the month. Nintendo Switch is the second biggest, but sales are down 35% over last November. Xbox Series S and X is in third position, with sales down 26% over the year before.

Console data does not include all markets and is missing Germany and the UK. For UK data, click here.
Over in accessories, and 2.56 million units of peripherals were sold over November. In terms of the same four-week period in 2022, sales are up 13.8%.

Controllers continue to dominate, driven by the PS5 DualSense which saw a big spike in sales thanks to the performance of PS5 overall. The new Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Amiibo debut at No.7 and No.9, while the PlayStation Portal accessory comes in at No.8.

European GSD November 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
2EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
3Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
4Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
5Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
6Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
7Assassin's Creed Mirage (Ubisoft)
8Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
9Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
10Football Manager 2024 (Sega)
*Digital data unavailable

Last edited:

yurinka

fuertes.gif

Wait, Xbox fans were happy because PS5 was down 20% in the US.... LOL

Well I think +376% in Europe offsets that!!

UK: +126% as well
Well, even if >20% down in USA PlayStation 5 remained the best-selling hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales during November 2023 and the whole year in USA.

Last edited:

Context matters. PS5 wasn't supply contrainted in the USA last november. In fact it was the first month it was widely available., plus Ragnarok released. Competing with that key month was always going to be tough as hell, specially considering the console has been available with no issues for a year already and no new huge game came out in November this time around.

Europe was a different story. You could barely find the PS5 last november.

Thos Xbox numbers though...now that's a different story. Not even being given away almost for free is making people buy it. Incredible.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I dont know if they were happy, but it seemed weird that some tried to make it like PS5 numbers were as bad as Xbox...when it still doubled Xbox.

These numbers tho? My god....

StereoVsn

Someone posted this on Era:

Nov 2023:
PS5 ~978k
NSW ~267k
XBS ~54k

If this is true....omfg...that's all i'm saying.
Does this include UK and Germany numbers? Those are separate, right?

Is 54K correct? That looks crazy low even with UK (and Germany?) out of the picture.

Also, if true, lol at Disney’s Indiana Jones strategy.

Last edited:
Does this include UK and Germany numbers? Those are separate, right?
U (minus DE): 1.3m
#1 PS5: 376%
#2 NSW: -35%
#3 XBS -26%

UK: 0.49m
#1 PS5 +126%
#2 XBS +4%
#3 NSW -19%

US: ~2m
#1 PS5: <1,062,000 >1,000,000
#2 XBS: <584,000
#3 NSW: <584,000
All down >20% in the US.

Yeah, not counting UK and Germany. But to give you an idea, this was Germany console sales from 1st half of 2022 and 2023:

GamingMarkt1HJ23_Spielekonsolen.jpg

Xbox is dead in Europe. That's all.

not surprising for xbox though, they dont make any effort in Europe, even in the UK I only have started to see xbox adverts in the last few weeks before, that its just playstation ads all over bus stops, on the side of busses, billboards in the cinema nothing from xbox what so ever.
Not sure what their plan is but they cant expect different results if they don't even try.

StereoVsn

U (minus DE): 1.3m
#1 PS5: 376%
#2 NSW: -35%
#3 XBS -26%

UK: 0.49m
#1 PS5 +126%
#2 XBS +4%
#3 NSW -19%

US: ~2m
#1 PS5: <1,062,000 >1,000,000
#2 XBS: <584,000
#3 NSW: <584,000
All down >20% in the US.

Yeah, not counting UK and Germany. But to give you an idea, this was Germany console sales from 1st half of 2022 and 2023:

GamingMarkt1HJ23_Spielekonsolen.jpg

Xbox is dead in Europe. That's all.
I don’t know, clearly Xbox is at the top of the chart! (Autocorrect on iOS is horrible).

Wonder at Germany’s and some other European country numbers. Would it be close overall to UK?

Last edited:
Remember these figures don't include the UK, which is basically the only place in Europe the Xbox is somewhat popular. It looks shockingly bad for Xbox but it's not unbelievable.

It's got trounced there too.

Methinks there'll be a crisis meeting taking place at Microsoft HQ. It's got to the point where the top brass can't ignore it.

PlayStation has historically also widened the gap in December as well.

Elios83

Someone posted this on Era:

Nov 2023:
PS5 ~978k
NSW ~267k
XBS ~54k

If this is true....omfg...that's all i'm saying.

PS5 is going super strong in Europe, there is definetly still some pent up demand here from previous shortages but also many people were just waiting for a more mature lineup and better deals to buy one upgrading from PS4.

Xbox....with these numbers and trying to increase prices... they have probably given up. The focus is trying to save the holiday season at least in the US trying to get close to 1m in December.

Ar¢tos

Black Friday wouldn't make much of a difference in EU for Xbox. Xbox has been on permanent sales prices in EU all year. You just need to do a little research to find out which store is doing the bigger discount the moment you want to buy it.
I've seen XSS for sale for 150€ several times this year.

PS5 is going super strong in Europe, there is definetly still some pent up demand here from previous shortages but also many people were just waiting for a more mature lineup and better deals to buy one upgrading from PS4.

Xbox....with these numbers and trying to increase prices... they have probably given up. The focus is trying to save the holiday season at least in the US trying to get close to 1m in December.
Doubling their sales in December after doing 500k on Black Friday month? Good luck with that. They won't reach 1M in December alone. They will be at around or a bit over 2M sold WW this quarter at this point which would be a tragedy.

NEbeast

People really believe xbox releasing next gen in 2025 is going to matter to consumers? It makes no sense, they have the power narrative now and no one cares about xbox. If they do try it and it inevitably flops, those emails saying they would get out the console business(2027?) are looking more realistic.

PS5 : +376 %
Switch : -35 %
X-box : - 26%

Switch is ok, this is its end of cycle replaced next year
X-box has catastrophic sales for 3 years old "next gen" consoles with price cuts.
PS5 indisputable lead over this gen, race is over.

Price cuts can muster additional sales but they can also be destructive to consumers' sense of value.

People aren't blind. They see the massive price cuts and they wonder why in many cases.

No one wants to buy a car with a bad engine just because the price tag is cheaper this week than it was last week.

I bring it up often, but the Dreamcast was actually cheaper than the PS1 at one point after the launch of the PS2 and people were still buying more PS1s than Dreamcasts.

GHG

I mean, all their poker cards of the year are on the table and it’s been a unmitigated problem: the Forza Motorsport + Starfield combo of implosions not only did not drive hardware sales it it looks like it stalled them.

I'd argue that the reception of those games combined with Redfall, and the mess the ATVI trial leaks caused have only made matters worse for them.

Their brand image is in the mud. The only way to fix it would be to shut the fuck up and start releasing high quality products on a consistent basis but they seem to be incapable on both counts.

Last edited:

tommib

I'd argue that the reception of those games combines with Redfall and the mess the ATVI trial leaks caused have only made matters worse for them.

Their brand image is in the mud.
I even forgot about Redfall. We all want to forget, I guess.

I’ve been saying for a long time that it’s a Microsoft/Xbox brand problem and that GamePass became corny lingo.

The acquisition drama didn’t help in my view. Everything was neurotic and desperate regarding that.

Last edited:

GHG

I even forgot about Redfall. We all want to forget, I guess.

I’ve been saying for a long time that it’s a brand problem and that GamePass became corny lingo.

I don't understand how they saw net spend increasing across the industry over the last decade and then decided that selling/pitching on price and price alone was something to build a gaming brand around.

If your products are not worthy of peoples time then nobody will want them, regardless of how cheap they are. People are willing to spend the money, it just has to be worth it.

They are more out of position than they've ever been and it's all self-inflicted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom