• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts December 2023: PS5 #1, Switch #2 and Xbox Series #3

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Starfield charted at number 31 for 2023 while FF16 was 32.
The people claiming Starfield was doing amazing and FF16 was a flop right now...

Forspoken was 96. (I bought it for £10, still haven't opened it).
I thought we liked racing games in the UK? The fuck happened to Forza?

I think starfield did pretty well if it beat out ff xvi when it was on pc and xbox gamepass.

Final fantasy was sonys big exclusive for the year outside of spuder man.

either ffxvi flopped or I dunno 😆

Forza ultra bomba. They'll have to write off quite a bit of Turn10's budget for the past 5 years

I just don't know where they go from here. Almost certainly will have to shutter the studio.

What prospects are there for a Forza Motorsport 2 when this one failed so badly?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I just don't know where they go from here. Almost certainly will have to shutter the studio.

What prospects are there for a Forza Motorsport 2 when this one failed so badly?
Alan Hartman got to be the leader of Xbox studios. I think that he will use his new position to get the studio some help. 343 industries got many chances before the restructuration. It should be the same for Turn10. And as Redfall and Halo proved Xbox sometimes somehow don't evaluate as they should the state of their games. They just need them to be on time more than they need them to be great. Forza gave them plenty of success in the past and they really don't need the bad PR of firing key members of the studio.

Alan Hartman got to be the leader of Xbox studios. I think that he will use his new position to get the studio some help. 343 industries got many chances before the restructuration. It should be the same for Turn10. And as Redfall and Halo proved Xbox sometimes somehow don't evaluate as they should the state of their games. They just need them to be on time more than they need them to be great. Forza gave them plenty of success in the past and they really don't need the bad PR of firing key members of the studio.

Halo is much more important to Microsoft than Forza and there are two Forza series. It's difficult to maintain both when the games are on GamePass and the Xbox userbase is small.

There are so many racing games out these days, it's really difficult to stand out. You can't really be subpar.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Halo is much more important to Microsoft than Forza and there are two Forza series. It's difficult to maintain both when the games are on GamePass and the Xbox userbase is small.

There are so many racing games out these days, it's really difficult to stand out. You can't really be subpar.
In theory you are right, but in Xbox peculiar situation they have more to loose than to gain by killing a historic studio for no good reason. After Killzone lack of success Guerrilla got to make Horizon Zero dawn. After GOW ascenscion and their new IP failure Santa Monica got to make GOW 2018. Insomniac got some not very good games with All in one and sunset overdrive, and they did Spiderman after that. IF the studio is healthy, and with Covid out of the way, killing them would be stupid IMHO. Xbox need some stability with all the changes we are been seeing those last few years. If Redfall don't kill Arkane, Forza should survive too.

In theory you are right, but in Xbox peculiar situation they have more to loose than to gain by killing a historic studio for no good reason. After Killzone lack of success Guerrilla got to make Horizon Zero dawn. After GOW ascenscion and their new IP failure Santa Monica got to make GOW 2018. Insomniac got some not very good games with All in one and sunset overdrive, and they did Spiderman after that. IF the studio is healthy, and with Covid out of the way, killing them would be stupid IMHO. Xbox need some stability with all the changes we are been seeing those last few years. If Redfall don't kill Arkane, Forza should survive too.

I think Sony has a better track record here than Microsoft.

Updated: In March we get 2023 yearly numbers from ERA to confirm if these numbers are accurate.

2rsF5sg.jpg

For active platforms

PS4: 7.76M
NSW: 6.79M
PS5: 3.58M
XBS: 2.50M

Last edited:

sachos

UK GSD December 2023 Top 10 (Digital and Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
3Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
4Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
7Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
8Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (Ubisoft)
9Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
10Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
*Digital data unavailable
Its wild to me how Nintendo keeps topping the charts with physical sales alone.

Top Bottom