• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts November 2023: PS5 Accounted for practically half of the games consoles sold during November

In Spain post BF Week.

Spain | Week 48, 2023 | Retail | Gamereactor
  1. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch): >13.000 / <150.000
  2. EA Sports FC 24 (PS5): >8.500 / ¿?
  3. EA Sports FC 24 (PS4):
  4. EA Sports FC 24 (Switch):
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch):
  6. Nintendo Switch Sports (Switch): >5.000 / ¿?
  7. Hogwarts Legacy (Switch): 3.500 / 32.500
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5):
  9. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch):
  10. Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince (Switch): 2.500 / New

Hogwarts Legacy (PS4+PS5): 3.500 / ¿?
Hogwarts Legacy (ALL): >200.000 LTD

Hardware:

PS5: 14.000 (50% 'Slim') / 447.200 YTD / 1.044.000 LTD
Switch: >12.000 / 315.200 YTD
XBS: 1.100 (75% X ) / 73.900 YTD
PSVR2: >200 / ¿?

Shakka43

Imagine dropping 70 billies and the main money maker sees a 38% drop in sales. Should have waited a year or two and they could've gotten Activision for a lot less...
Sales are meaningless COD is all about engagement now
married single ladies GIF

Fuck me that's awful for Xbox.

Massive massive discounts and just about flat for the year. A year where they released some anticipated games and where their main competition was taking it easy.

MOM will look good as sales are usually bad, but bloody hell it took ginormous discounts and they've ended up flat YOY.

GHG

In Spain post BF Week.

Hardware:

Fantastic result for the Xbox Series consoles here.

Upwards and onwards, the PS Portal is finally defeated.

MacReady13

Big month for PS5 and now we truly know how much worse this year's CoD performed. 38% drop is pretty huge.

As for Xbox hardware... Well at least it's up but with the heavy discounts, Series S as low as £184 and the Series X £120 discount just 4% up YoY is a poor result. I said before they needed to be at least double figures with the heavy promotions they were having.

YoY
PS5 +126%
Xbox +4%
Switch -19%
This isn't poor for Microsoft- they don't care about console sales. They only care about 2 things- game pass and engagement numbers.

Woopah

In Spain post BF Week.

Hardware:

Doesn't seem that great for DQM

This isn't poor for Microsoft- they don't care about console sales. They only care about 2 things- game pass and engagement numbers.
I don't know why people keep claiming MS doesn't care about console sales.
In an ideal scenario, someone pays for the console, pays for first party titles (which they will get 100% of the sale), pays for a ton of third party games and DLC (they get a 30% cut from every sale) and pays for Gold (which they obviously get 100% of that sale too) to play online and maybe even pays for Game Pass on top of all that.

But if someone pays for I don't know, Forza on Steam they're only getting like 30% of the total sale, I reeeeeally doubt Microsoft prefers this option over someone buying their console and pretty much getting money from every single purchase the user makes.

Last edited:

yurinka

FgvRpye.png

Visualising what I just can't understand. Better line-up of recent exclusives, much more aggressive series X pricing and sales increase by a tiny fraction.

"Better" is subjective. If we look at the Steam user reviews average of Starfield we have this:

image.png

As a reference, that same week there was a console exclusive released on their rival console, which apparently was more appreciated on average by the Steam users who bought it:
image.png

Regarding Pentiment, it wasn't a super seller but seems that the Steam users who bought it loved it:

image.png

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yep and they weren't any special offers on Black Friday for Standalone PS5's in November. They actually went up from September and October. As like you said were already discounting them before the launch of the newer SKU's. Which is an even worse look for Xbox in the UK.

For PS5's, most of the big deals were bundles for around £399 and one game.. BF deals for PS5's were way less generous. For a console in its third year you'd expect to see a big jump in sales, especially with more games on the platform and a huge discount.

Dude it was 369 for a ps5 in November 379 with two games. 399 with fifa and another game. 399 with Spiderman 2.

It was like 120 pounds of msrp though November and black Friday too. Let's be honest about this if we are going to discuss it.

Deerock71

You know what spin sounds like? PRACTICALLY HALF is what spin sounds like. As a layman, I'm taking that to mean less than half. Even IF that's 49% of the market, at LEAST 51% is going elsewhere.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No offense, but this is absolute fan-made bullshit.

Otherwise, please explain this:

image.png

Or this ...

kkXh1cC.jpg

If Microsoft does not care about console sales, why did they subsidize the new consoles with $1.5 billion in just one year? Their biggest HW subsidy ever.

And why was Nadella concerned about console sales when Sony launched the PS5 in China?

zedinen

UK: Nov 2023
PS5 ~240K
X|S ~132K
NSW ~114K

Spain: Nov 2023
PS5 ~109K
NSW ~58K
X|S ~14K

UK+Spain: Nov 2023
PS5 ~349K
NSW ~172K
X|S ~146K

PS5 has entered the PS2 mode when it just sells, independently of first party titles. Good or bad, that’s for you, my fellow gamer, to decide.

SIE is giving people what they want.

(June 23 - March 24)
Final Fantasy XVI
Baldur's Gate 3 (was delayed on Xbox )
Spider-Man 2
Honkai:Star Rail
God of War Ragnarök: Valhalla
Final Fantasy XVI: Echoes of the Fallen
The Last of Us Part II Remastered
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Helldivers 2
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Rise of the Rōnin

Q1 is going to see a massive drop off in Xbox sales post-holidays. We'll see if Microsoft is willing to subsidize the Xbox consoles heavily through the year.

Sony has FF7 in Q1.

Q2 is going to be largely status quo, but will probably maintain trend lines. Will be interesting to see what Sony states for their goals for the fiscal year, we will know how aggressive they're going to have to be. Will they expect a YOY decline or not. Seems a little early to be expecting a decline.

Q3 is where we see potential for PS5 Pro and price realignments if they don't start in Q2.

yazenov

Q1 is going to see a massive drop off in Xbox sales post-holidays. We'll see if Microsoft is willing to subsidize the Xbox consoles heavily through the year.

Yeah, I'm expecting Xbox sales to come to a screeching halt post-holiday discounts unless they make the price cuts permanent.

Xbox lacks any momentum and lacks a big hitter for 2024. Starfield was the game that was supposed to jump-start the momentum but it failed miserably on that front. Their YoY decline will be much worse than in 2023.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm expecting Xbox sales to come to a screeching halt post-holiday discounts unless they make the price cuts permanent.

Xbox lacks any momentum and lacks a big hitter for 2024. Starfield was the game that was supposed to jump-start the momentum but it failed miserably on that front. Their YoY decline will be much worse than in 2023.

Even if the price cuts remain permanent, the interest isn't there. We're going to see what the new normal is and it's just a question of how bad that is.

Hellblade 2 has no real chance at shifting the needle. I honestly don't know how Xbox survives as a brand after holiday season 2024 which isn't the same as existing as a company to be clear.

Only thing that can help Xbox a bit is a failed PS5 Pro, but that's really not going to make much of a difference either.

In Spain post BF Week.

Hardware:

Xbox series month over month increase must have been like 500%, so it's all good.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No offense, but this is absolute fan-made bullshit.

Otherwise, please explain this:

image.png

Or this ...

kkXh1cC.jpg

If Microsoft does not care about console sales, why did they subsidize the new consoles with $1.5 billion in just one year? Their biggest HW subsidy ever.

And why was Nadella concerned about console sales when Sony launched the PS5 in China?

In the 2nd bullet point, what is "AM"? What does it stand for? And what does MS think the console generations are 200 million in size? Are they purposely NOT including Nintendo for some weird reason?

Even if the price cuts remain permanent, the interest isn't there. We're going to see what the new normal is and it's just a question of how bad that is.

Hellblade 2 has no real chance at shifting the needle. I honestly don't know how Xbox survives as a brand after holiday season 2024 which isn't the same as existing as a company to be clear.

Only thing that can help Xbox a bit is a failed PS5 Pro, but that's really not going to make much of a difference either.

Xbox is in trouble man. They really really messed up with their Series X and Series S idea. The fact that they seem to think the Series X is their Pro console is MIND BLOWING to me. There's just no way they actually went into this generation actually thinking that. They aren't that stupid.

I just don't understand why they think we are all that stupid too. They will have no Pro console and that was their choice. So if\when the PS5 ends up selling 10% of the PS5's entire generation numbers......MS will need to explain again why they didn't want to compete at all with Sony this generation.

MS looks like they just don't know what to do, other than GamePass.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In the 2nd bullet point, what is "AM"? What does it stand for?
May be referring to Accountability Margin.
And what does MS think the console generations are 200 million in size? Are they purposely NOT including Nintendo for some weird reason?
That, or perhaps Phil is accounting for multi-console owners here, e.g., 200M console owners buy ~300M consoles (PS+Xbox+Nintendo).

Last edited:
In the 2nd bullet point, what is "AM"? What does it stand for? And what does MS think the console generations are 200 million in size? Are they purposely NOT including Nintendo for some weird reason?

Xbox is in trouble man. They really really messed up with their Series X and Series S idea. The fact that they seem to think the Series X is their Pro console is MIND BLOWING to me. There's just no way they actually went into this generation actually thinking that. They aren't that stupid.

I just don't understand why they think we are all that stupid too. They will have no Pro console and that was their choice. So if\when the PS5 ends up selling 10% of the PS5's entire generation numbers......MS will need to explain again why they didn't want to compete at all with Sony this generation.

MS looks like they just don't know what to do, other than GamePass.

I think he is referring to Addressable Market.

Basically, every year there is a general number of consoles that are able to be sold and the same is true of the generation. That's why Sony and Microsoft are racing to sell as many units as possible this year.

175 million units sold the previous generation. He's anticipating an additional 25 million units this generation. 171.4 the generation before that but a lot of people buying 360 multiple times. The generation before that was 200.74 (including gamecube)

Sony knows that if they can obtain enough market share/mindshare now, that it will create a larger market share for the remainder of the generation. If 200 million units are available for the generation and the generation lasts 8 years, that's 25 million units per year (more like 20 million a year for 10 years)

Obviously, it won't be a flat 25 million, you have incline and decline, especially with the shortage of units to begin the generation.

Ultimately, I don't know if we'll see 200 million units, a lot of people probably decided to go to PC, but Sony is looking to crowd Microsoft out.

160-40 million, 155 to 45 million.

Nintendo is kind of its own beast and isn't in direct competition for the most part with Sony and Microsoft.

The vast majority of software sales on Nintendo systems are Nintendo games rather than 3rd party games. It does make sense to separate them.

In reality, Microsoft and Sony are more in competition with Valve than they are Nintendo.

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 Microsoft thought the pro machines were a fluke based around the advent of 4K, like many posters on here have posited.

The Series S/X idea wasn't a terrible one. It allowed Microsoft to undercut Sony somewhat significantly on price. They didn't anticipate the PS5 Digital, which allowed Sony flexibility on price without conceding on tech.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. If you look at the success of the 360, they were able to see some real advantage there because of the price difference. Many consumers, particularly parents and grandparents are very price-conscious, so giving them a cheaper outlet was a smart idea.

It wasn't the fault of the Series S that Microsoft hasn't delivered on games, unless the argument is that the Series S subsidy should have gone to game development years ago.

GamePass is in my estimation their biggest problem in line with Day 1 PC.

Last edited:

nowhat

Absolutely, it has no competition, but it makes you wonder why the CMA was trying to preserve this state of affairs...
Wasn't it because of Xcloud/streaming? Not saying it was a valid argument, but it wasn't about console sales or market share.

mckmas8808

I think he is referring to Addressable Market.

Basically, every year there is a general number of consoles that are able to be sold and the same is true of the generation. That's why Sony and Microsoft are racing to sell as many units as possible this year.

175 million units sold the previous generation. He's anticipating an additional 25 million units this generation. 171.4 the generation before that but a lot of people buying 360 multiple times. The generation before that was 200.74 (including gamecube)

Sony knows that if they can obtain enough market share/mindshare now, that it will create a larger market share for the remainder of the generation. If 200 million units are available for the generation and the generation lasts 8 years, that's 25 million units per year (more like 20 million a year for 10 years)

Obviously, it won't be a flat 25 million, you have incline and decline, especially with the shortage of units to begin the generation.

Ultimately, I don't know if we'll see 200 million units, a lot of people probably decided to go to PC, but Sony is looking to crowd Microsoft out.

160-40 million, 155 to 45 million.

Gotcha. I don't think it's fair to just eliminate Nintendo from these projections though.

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 Microsoft thought the pro machines were a fluke based around the advent of 4K, like many posters on here have posited.

The Series S/X idea wasn't a terrible one. It allowed Microsoft to undercut Sony somewhat significantly on price. They didn't anticipate the PS5 Digital, which allowed Sony flexibility on price without conceding on tech.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. If you look at the success of the 360, they were able to see some real advantage there because of the price difference. Many consumers, particularly parents and grandparents are very price-conscious, so giving them a cheaper outlet was a smart idea.

It wasn't the fault of the Series S that Microsoft hasn't delivered on games, unless the argument is that the Series S subsidy should have gone to game development years ago.

GamePass is in my estimation their biggest problem in line with Day 1 PC.

But anyone with a brain understand PRO consoles to be more than just about 4K. How could MS be that shortsighted? And if MS didn't anticipate the PS5 Digital.....then how do they still have jobs?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

It was a HORRIBLE idea. It locked them in to a 4TF console for 8 years. That's insanity! Why not take that $1.5 Billion subsidy hit and apply it to a $400 Xbox Series X Discless console only? If MS is all in on GamePass and getting rid of discs, just do it at the beginning of the generation, but undercut Sony on price. Even if it means the Series X was going to be 10 TFs too.

Gotcha. I don't think it's fair to just eliminate Nintendo from these projections though.

But anyone with a brain understand PRO consoles to be more than just about 4K. How could MS be that shortsighted? And if MS didn't anticipate the PS5 Digital.....then how do they still have jobs?

Fair? I don't understand what you're saying here. Nintendo isn't a direct competitor, they're talking about the potential sales between themselves.

If consumers don't understand that a Pro console is more than 4K, how is Microsoft going to convince them to buy it? Microsoft has to decide on what projects it wants to focus on. They have lots of resources, but time is a resource that is finite.

Sony had never released a digital only console. Not sure how they would have anticipated that and more importantly anticipated it in the years leading up to the R&D for the Xbox Series.

You can't say an idea was bad because of hindsight. Hindsight is 20/20.

If Phil Spencer could go back in time to 2016 knowing EXACTLY what Sony was going to do, he'd make different choices and even with full knowledge of those choices, there is no guarantee he'd be able to come up with a winning strategy.

It was a HORRIBLE idea. It locked them in to a 4TF console for 8 years. That's insanity! Why not take that $1.5 Billion subsidy hit and apply it to a $400 Xbox Series X Discless console only? If MS is all in on GamePass and getting rid of discs, just do it at the beginning of the generation, but undercut Sony on price. Even if it means the Series X was going to be 10 TFs too.

The XSX is being outsold by the PS5, why wouldn't a discless XSX also be outsold at the same rate? That actually sounds like a WORSE idea than the XSS because it means there is no price advantage. XSS has sold more than half of the XBS units. Losing that advantage would have been a quick end to the Series.

jm89

Absolutely, it has no competition, but it makes you wonder why the CMA was trying to preserve this state of affairs...
CMA was thinking of not just sony but other(existing/future) market partiticipants in cloud gaming. Remember that bit "Cloud Gaming" which has nothing to do with console sales.

Last edited:
Nintendo is kind of its own beast and isn't in direct competition for the most part with Sony and Microsoft.

The vast majority of software sales on Nintendo systems are Nintendo games rather than 3rd party games. It does make sense to separate them.

In reality, Microsoft and Sony are more in competition with Valve than they are Nintendo.

That is true, but I think the Switch 2 with approx PS4 performance with a decent upscaler is going to attract a lot of 3rd party interest and more people will buy software for it.
I really think Nintendo are gonna take a bite out of that Sony/MS lunch. Sony appear to be prepared for that, but Microsoft aren't.

Woopah

You know what spin sounds like? PRACTICALLY HALF is what spin sounds like. As a layman, I'm taking that to mean less than half. Even IF that's 49% of the market, at LEAST 51% is going elsewhere.
I don't think it's spin, he's just saying that the PS5's market share in November was close to but did not reach 50%.

Sony has FF7 in Q1.

Q2 is going to be largely status quo, but will probably maintain trend lines. Will be interesting to see what Sony states for their goals for the fiscal year, we will know how aggressive they're going to have to be. Will they expect a YOY decline or not. Seems a little early to be expecting a decline.

Q3 is where we see potential for PS5 Pro and price realignments if they don't start in Q2.
I would imagine that next year they would forecast a slight decline, but still 20 million or more.

There number of third party and first party sales on Switch is about the same (third party is slightly ahead, and that lead would increase a lot if download only games were included).

Top Bottom