• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Monthly Charts November 2023 | PS5 #1 +376% YOY, Switch #2 -35% YOY and Xbox series S/X #3 -26% YOY

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes. They could drop GamePass tomorrow, more specifically the Day 1 Microsoft games portion of it, and that $70 billion dollar deal would still work just fine for revenue. Why? Because Activision's revenue was already as much as it is without it. They also spent that much money for mobile gaming, right?

We can sit here all night and play word games if you want. I didn't say they "failed" in all that time. I said they were "behind". Facts are that Xbox has been behind for over 20 years and these last 10 years have been brutal. Getting worse. The console market is not kind to more than two consoles. History proves that. Only once did three consoles succeed relative to each other and it was a perfect storm scenario.

Yeah. Microsoft is all about that revenue. And when your console has been as far behind as it's been for this long and getting worse, dropping what you've been doing and putting your games on other platforms starts looking like an attractive option.

I don't care. Because, quite frankly, a conversation with someone who wants to get butthurt over facts and possibilities, and put words in my mouth, because they refuse to entertain the idea that a plastic box that has been getting its shit pushed in forever now could leave the market, isn't really a conversation worth having.

I'm not butthurt at all. I am trying to give you some perspective that if Xbox is generating revenue, it doesn't have to be first. Of course, Microsoft would want to be first, but a successful business can still be third place when looking at the overall sales numbers of a console. Microsoft isnt that far off nintendo and Sony to an extent when it comes to gaming revenue.

I honestly, am invested into a platform as any. I wouldnt want nintendo to go away, I wouldnt want sony to go away. Those brands might be important to you and provide you the gaming you want but I enjoy Halo and gears, playing co op games with my friends. I want those options to still exist and I enjoy using gamepass. It's been an amazing service for me this year and I have played most of my gaming there. If its not good for you then fair play.

If microsoft stopped making consoles, and i can play those games on PC then I would, but I do enjoy having a console in my rooms that I can jump on. Apologies for using the word failed, not my intention. I was just trying to share the opinion that being third can still be succesful.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
There's an email from phil about how much he had been anticipating the road to ps5 talk, and how elated he was once he saw it that day. Even then, he did not seem to understand what he saw. So they can definitely keep a lot from each other.
Exactly. It's just how Sony was able to sweep the rug from under Microsoft with the PS4. Absolutely obliterated the One as a result.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There's an email from phil about how much he had been anticipating the road to ps5 talk, and how elated he was once he saw it that day. Even then, he did not seem to understand what he saw. So they can definitely keep a lot from each other.

Sony, Jim Ryan, and Mark Cerny, after reading that email:

smug top gear GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sales of 16.8 million is required for the next 2 quarters combined. To stay on course for 25 million then 11.5 million would be needed for Q3 in my opinion, this is of course an insanely high target.

Eq4RVV3.png

Oh HECK NAH! Ain't no way Sony hitting 25 million then lol!!! I can see Sony selling 15 million units over the next two quarters though. So getting to a little over 23 million units is where I see them ending up. Which I believe would be a FY record for units in a year.

It definitely is....I don't know where you got this impression.

Good point...I just think it has to in some way. I can't see Microsoft making Slough of a push with just PC gamepass. Not until streaming is at a mass adoption rate and then they will lose the console, or living room box.

Great points, I think Microsoft will stick around in the console space until streaming is common and accepted by many. There just isn't any other scenario that makes sense to me...but who knows.

Microsoft want to push gamepass, they need all the revenue possible from that transaction. PC gamepass is decent but not on the level of console gamepass, so they need xbox consoles, or streaming...or another competitor that wants to enter the market that they can partner with for favourable roi. Microsoft won't team up with Sony if the deal benefits Sony too well. Microsoft is a company of pride, like nvidia and Intel...like western businesses and it would really need to make sense for them to sign a deal with Sony....no matter how much we might think Microsoft needs Sony.

The one truth with Microsoft is they are so big, they dont need anyone but consumers to consume.

Well, just remember my idea of MS sticking around in the console space is probably different from yours. I don't actually think they have much of a future with consoles in the "traditional" sense.

IMO their future with gaming hardware is with PC-like gaming 'consoles' (NUCs), laptops and the such that run Windows but have a default option for an Xbox-like UI (and an option for Windows desktop). Gaming systems fully optimized for gaming tasks but providing the productivity of Windows and modularity (in many ways) of PCs. That's the actual hardware future for Xbox IMO.

And with that would come them being fully 3P in their software on all the various platforms, although they may have cases with games that are initially PC-exclusive before getting ported to consoles. So in that sense they would still have "Xbox" exclusives, only now we're talking about Xbox actually being PC and vice-versa, not just as a silly catchphrase.

As for a means where they exit hardware but let another competitor enter the market to partner with, honestly there aren't any IMO. The closest would be Sega, since they have experience with console hardware, but not in the modern sense. And they would need Microsoft to bankroll a lot of the costs for production and various software development. IMO this is the type of thing MS should have done for them back in 2000, before Sega basically had to exit the market, but MS preferred going direct themselves instead of even letting Sega handle distribution and marketing of the system in various territories where they'd of been a better fit, like Japan.

And it's probably too late to try doing that now, because Sega's IP are fully 3P and in some cases very strongly associated with other direct competitors to Microsoft (Sonic with Sega, for example). Sega/Atlus would basically have to make all their games exclusive, but I don't know how many if any of their games have the market appeal to draw people away from Sony & Nintendo towards something between Sega & Microsoft, especially if Day 1 PC were still a priority. Besides Sega the only other possible companies are basically Big Tech whom MS are direct rivals with in some way. Google, Apple, Amazon, Tencent etc. None of them would want to ever partner with Microsoft on a gaming console, and some like Apple, outright don't need Microsoft for it and would actually hurt their own appeal in doing so.

That's how much baggage Microsoft have now in console gaming, Xbox in particular. It's gotten that bad IMO.

Yeah. This is really what has been pointed out. That Microsoft Gaming, especially after the ABK deal, could drop Xbox and/or GamePass and be doing just fine. Likely better with their games being on consoles with far larger install bases.

I would have said this too but I read a post from either Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami or S SneakersSO that mentioned that not having a console platform of their own to fall back onto could make being 3P actually more difficult for MS, and I agree to an extent with that perspective.

See, with Xbox & Game Pass, Microsoft have a built-in audience (even if it's stalled/shrinking) of people who will by virtue of brand loyalty alone, always support their content. Whether that means buying it, or ass-kissing it (rightly or wrongly), promoting it etc., they will always be there to do it. Because for them, all of that ties back into the console, the platform brand and those peoples' sense of identity as gamers. This also means very obvious shortcomings and flaws in those various 1P games will be either downplayed or completely ignored, again for the benefit of the brand.

If you keep Xbox & Game Pass around but MS goes full 3P regardless, they will lose a chunk of those loyalists. We normally call them console fanboys or console warriors, but among them, some will be earnest and preferential towards Xbox without being dismissive or spiteful to its competitors, and it's among those types some of who MS would also lose. But the fallout there is nowhere near as tough as if they got rid of Xbox consoles altogether, because they'd lose a lot more of those types of supporters, who would no longer feel there's anything "special" about the brand. This same thing happened with Sega after they went 3P.

Actually, the real difficulty for MS in that scenario would be that the flaws and limitations of certain titles would become immediately obvious in the face of direct competition. They'd either have to up the quality of their releases, or stop making them altogether. Like Forza Motorsport for example; if they released that at launch on PS5, and had no Xbox or even Game Pass, that game would have likely completely bombed in all commercial aspects. Reviews would have been less willing to forgive flaws, so it'd of gotten a much lower MC too (I'm not saying 1P games inherently get a boost in scores compared to 3P ones and in fact it seems the trend now is the inverse, but I digress).

As-is, with it being on Xbox & Game Pass, you've got a group of people without a racing sim to call their own, willing to get it both because they want one but also because it's a 1P racing sim so they feel a "need" to support it versus Sony having GT7. That's one of the few reasons the new Forza sold whatever amount of copies and boosted whatever amount of sub engagement, it managed to get.

It's becuase you are looking at a short term 18 month window vs a 20 odd year plan from Microsoft. Try to think a little bigger. Gamepass has stalled becuase xbox stalled over the last 18 months.

They've just closed a 70 billion dollar deal for gamepass and revenue growth.
LMAO they have already been in gaming for 20 years and not done shit with it, what makes you actually think they have another 20 year plan besides you posting wildly (which is why you get moderated wildly)

I would have said this too but I read a post from either Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami or S SneakersSO that mentioned that not having a console platform of their own to fall back onto could make being 3P actually more difficult for MS, and I agree to an extent with that perspective.

See, with Xbox & Game Pass, Microsoft have a built-in audience (even if it's stalled/shrinking) of people who will by virtue of brand loyalty alone, always support their content. Whether that means buying it, or ass-kissing it (rightly or wrongly), promoting it etc., they will always be there to do it. Because for them, all of that ties back into the console, the platform brand and those peoples' sense of identity as gamers. This also means very obvious shortcomings and flaws in those various 1P games will be either downplayed or completely ignored, again for the benefit of the brand.

If you keep Xbox & Game Pass around but MS goes full 3P regardless, they will lose a chunk of those loyalists. We normally call them console fanboys or console warriors, but among them, some will be earnest and preferential towards Xbox without being dismissive or spiteful to its competitors, and it's among those types some of who MS would also lose. But the fallout there is nowhere near as tough as if they got rid of Xbox consoles altogether, because they'd lose a lot more of those types of supporters, who would no longer feel there's anything "special" about the brand. This same thing happened with Sega after they went 3P.
I've seen Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami effectively make this point a number of times when discussing MS' transition into wider releases for their slate. The real reason why Xbox will always make a console marked Xbox, even if it does transition into being a Windows Box for TVs, is that the sub revenue from console users is still highly valuable to MS, whether we're talking GP or just XBLG. Sure, they aren't high enough to offset their operating costs, but for MS, its still subscription & services revenue that they'd rather have than not have.

For the majority of what Xbox is producing, however, I can't really say just how difficult MS will find it to discover an audience for their output. Sure, for a lot of their XGS titles, mindshare and brand recognition is really, absurdly low. Just as an example, marketing metrics on Hellblade 2 after the TGAs couldn't be worse for a game of its budget, and that is a highly anticipated title for the core Xbox audience. This isn't a novelty though - Ninja Theory struggled with sales on non-licensed titles they worked on for a long time. The same can be said about most of the teams MS has bought. As much as Obsidian can be beloved, their titles have typically not moved the needle in sales. Same can be said for inXile, Compulsion too. The biggest selling entities that MS has purchased has been BGS, Playground, and ABK.

This isn't to really harp on those other studios in their portfolio though. I do think that, with an expanded potential audience, and with a marketing campaigns designed to appeal to users in those expanded ecosystems, that those games may be able to find sizable audiences without much issue. As for these games now being compared to other pieces of content already on offer on those platforms - in many ways, they already were, albeit not in a head-to-head, 'which should I buy' comparison.

Quality is an interesting idea to talk about, but I am going to choose to ignore this part when doing some evaluating all this, simply cause we don't really know what some of this output will be like in the coming years. I do have some thoughts on it, but I think thats irrelevant right now.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
All of them. I know of several high-profile Bethesda titles whose port work started up a few months ago. I also have some knowledge on ABK in general, and not a single project that was in dev, or that has gotten an initial approval to have an exploratory milestone achieved, has had a single discussion on exclusivity. I also now know of several titles that fall squarely under XGS, titles that have yet to be announced, that now are doing PS/Xbox/Switch 2 development.

The console wars are basically over. The public just doesn't know it yet.

SneakersSO's prophesies are coming true faster than we could have imagined.

yurinka

Again, there ISN'T 'high end console' market.
If you don't like then call them "home consoles". PS5 and Series X aren't the same than Switch.

People don't buy a PS5 or Xbox as secondary gaming device because it's a portable as they do with Switch.

Unlike in the Switch, most PS and Xbox games are the same and their demographics are the same because they compete for the same market. The overlap between them is huge because they are direct competitors, while with Switch is way smaller.

Not only that but how do you then retroactively segment the market for all the previous generations? Did anyone stop to ask if Nintendo purposefully created the Wii to be lower-end compared to PS3 & 360 to explicitly compete against them as a low-power alternative, or did they actually create it to go after a different market segment with their own market targets? Did anyone ask Sony if they designed the PS5 explicitly as a "high-end console", or did they just happen to try developing a logical step forward from the PS4 meeting power & price requirements to satisfy needs of 1P & 3P developers?
I think Nintendo underpowers their consoles on purpose because their fans will buy any shit Nintendo throws at them, so they prefer to release underpowered and cheaper (but overpriced) consoles and games to have a higher profit margin.

At the same time, both with Wii and Switch they tried to chase a different market than PS and Xbox: with Wii they trageted to expand themselves in the casual market. With Switch they abandoned the home console market because Sony defeated them and moved all their resources to the handheld market, where they were stronger and where they now they had a monopoly.

And your 3rd point, I don't necessarily agree with either for two reasons. #1 because it reduces the 3P exclusives to 'moneyhats', which ignore the multitude of other benefits 3P exclusives bring such as targeted optimization, maximized marketing & distribution efforts, access to certain 1P tech resources, brand coupling association, etc. As for big 3P acquisitions not being allowed by regulators, that really depends on what we mean by "big". Something within the realm of $10 billion valuation (just as an example) would be possible because Sony's market share advantage was earned through being a better competitor to significantly larger, resource-rich companies like Microsoft.
For a 3P exclusivity only means less sales/revenue compared to multiplatform. So they only remain exclusive if the 1st party moneyhats them (or if they are a tiny indie studio with no money or time to do ports).

Generally, regulators don't have a problem with market monopolies as long as they were not illegally acquired. Sony/SIE have earned theirs through legitimate competition and showing consistent understanding of the market, and offering superior solutions for developers, publishers, and end customers (console gamers). So if they would want to, they could go for a Square-Enix, or a Capcom (again, I'm just listing as examples), etc. and get approval for them on those grounds alone. Or even somewhat larger publishers than those, if that was something they were interested in.
For regulators monopoly means that someone who has enough market power (meaning to have all or almost all the market share of a market, not only a majority) acts as gatekeeper blocking others with monopolistic actions that may prevent others to compete against them. Regulators block these monopolistic actions.

Meaning, they could say Sony already dominates by far the home consoles, VR gaming in consoles and gaming subs markets, and to acquire big publishers would further increase the domination in these markets to the point it would be impossible for MS or other potential new actor to compete against them.

Potentially, but that depends on what "totally dead" means. If it means Xbox console hardware continues to exist and get new generational refreshes, but rolls along in a zombie state, that actually still doesn't help Microsoft with getting Game Pass on PlayStation, IMHO. The act of the console hardware still existing whatsoever is the potential problem for platform holders like Sony (and Nintendo), because it would still mean Xbox is effectively operating as a traditional console business-wise. Just, a barely-alive one.
Unless regulators force them to do it, Nintendo and Sony won't allow to have Gamepass in their platforms if:
  • MS continues having their own console
  • It features non-MS 3P games on their console's GPP
  • Doesn't pay them the 30% or whatever Sony and Nintendo ask for in case of game subs
You can't really just focus on the "main" MS titles tho; it's all the titles, same for Sony. And games like Song of Midnight, Hellblade 2, HiFi Rush, Pentiment, Clockwork Revolution, Avowed, Tango's rumored JRPG...at least AFAIK, none of those are GaaS titles. So I'd say it's actually rather balanced on Microsoft's side of things.
All these are minor games for MS. Look at all the recent entries of the main MS IPs: Halo, Forza, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, WoW, Overwatch, Diablo, Heartstone, CoD, Candy Crush... all are GaaS. Yes, they have non-GaaS titles but most of them are minor games.

Regarding future entries of IPs who could fit as Starcraft, Doom, Quake or Gears make sure they'll go GaaS too.

With Sony, perhaps it's been balanced all along but the choice of information for 1P titles they've decided to share the past few months, plus the lack of reveals for new titles from a lot of their studios, have created the perception that they were trending heavily into GaaS with "some" focus on non-GaaS titles. That's on Sony for leading people into feeling that was the trajectory.

It's why the news of them scaling back on the 12 GaaS to 6 GaaS was such welcomed news well, basically, everywhere.
They didn't scale back from 12 to 6. With Helldivers 2 they'll have released 4.

What they said in the fiscal report QA was that they continue with the 12 GaaS but that now they only were sure that 6 of them will be released before April 2026 as previously estimated, meaning that some could be released after that date, leading to think multiple of them were delayed or were likely to be delayed soon because they were looking into it.

Some time later they canned TLOU Online. Plus the 4 ones soon to be relesed with Helldivers, means there are 6 GaaS to be released (5 if they count Destiny), being the next ones very likely Concord in late 2024 and Marathon early 2025. After them there would be 4 (or maybe 3) remaining, being one of them Fairgame$ also pretty much locked to be relesaed before April 2026.

Yeah, you have in ways. But when stuff like the funding percentages for GaaS eating up 60% allocation vs. traditional 40% by FY '25 came out, I don't think you were too considerate of the concerns of increased AAA dev costs for budgets, or inflation, factoring into a potential drop in # of games covered by those budget splits.

Although TBF, we also don't know the absolute dollar amounts in funding that were planned for those fiscal budgets. 40% of say $1 billion gets you a lot more than 40% of $250 million.
We don't have the absolute dollar amounts, but we have the heights of the bars of the charts that represent the investment in dollars every year and we see how the investment grows. Money funded pretty likely with the released games, and that big increase would be due to the money earnt in previous years having this big growth thanks to the release of more successful GaaS.

We see in the graph that the investment highly grows in general a lot, mostly to invest more in GaaS, but the investment on non-GaaS also grows.

There kinda is with how public it's been. What you're describing, usually we never even hear about it. But there's been a clear chain of events in announcements and now cancellations for some of the GaaS stuff, that's been very public.

That's the "unusual" part, at least compared to how it normally seems to go.
Sony debunked the cancellations saying their 12 GaaS were still there. Some time later TLOU was cancelled, that's all.

Kinda depends on if ABK can keep COD from declining in relevance. So there might be a lot riding on next year's entry in all honesty.
As I remember CoD has been top 1 every yeaar in PS. And the most recent one had some kind of record. People may complain but they keep buying it.

True in theory, but like some others were saying in one of the other threads (IIRC), going full 3P might not be so lucrative if the quality of certain games doesn't significantly increase. Like, Forza Motorsport has some degree of relevance on Xbox as the premier racing sim of the platform holder. But if you take Xbox away, and released it in its current state on PS5, it now looks even more like the second-rate GT clone that many already feel it is. And it's perhaps more stark than ever comparing the recent Forza with GT7 in particular.

It's highly probable in that scenario, Forza actually performs worst than it currently has already, unless the quality were to take a massive leap forward to be more competitive with games like GT. And that's just one example. So it's either that, or MS cull back on the total number of games they develop & publish (something they'd likely have to do anyway, just like how we saw Sega do when they stopped making consoles), because a few of those games, like the Pentiments, you no longer need as "variety spices" to the 1P catalog to increase the value proposition of the console...because there is no longer a console, period.
Independently on their quality, if their games also get released on PS5 (and the ones that fit in Switch/Swich 2, there too) will sell way more just because of install base.

If they remove the money sinks that are the hardware and 3P moneyhats they'd be able to spend all that money instead on improving their games.

Regarding Forza, I'm pretty sure that if Series S wouldn't exist the game would have been better, more comparable to GT7. If I was after going full 3rd party I'd remove the requirements of supporting Series S for new curent gen games, including the MS ones. It would butthurt the 4 people who bought it because they'd miss some games even from MS, but the MS games would be better and would sell more.

If you don't like then call them "home consoles". PS5 and Series X aren't the same than Switch.

People don't buy a PS5 or Xbox as secondary gaming device because it's a portable as they do with Switch.

Unlike in the Switch, most PS and Xbox games are the same and their demographics are the same because they compete for the same market. The overlap between them is huge because they are direct competitors, while with Switch is way smaller.

But PC has a lot of demographic cross-over with PS, Xbox, even Nintendo to some extent as well, going by all the 3P pubs who have been putting more and more games on places like Steam over the years. So how does a "high-end" console market exist if devices like PC can't be neatly categorized into a high-end, mid-end, low-end etc. since they can scale across all of them?

Not to mention, saying things like "high'end" consoles suggests to me that all the games are also high-end in performance...clearly not the case. There are many games on PlayStation & Xbox that could run perfectly fine on a Switch.

For regulators monopoly means that someone who has enough market power (meaning to have all or almost all the market share of a market, not only a majority) acts as gatekeeper blocking others with monopolistic actions that may prevent others to compete against them. Regulators block these monopolistic actions.

Meaning, they could say Sony already dominates by far the home consoles, VR gaming in consoles and gaming subs markets, and to acquire big publishers would further increase the domination in these markets to the point it would be impossible for MS or other potential new actor to compete against them.

No, that's not the only thing when it comes to defining a monopoly. The means in which that majority market share has been achieved is also important. Competing products where one is a clear winner getting the market share, is a result (usually) of fair competition that regulators WANT to see happen. They are perfectly fine with monopolies that naturally come as a result of fair competition.

While there is an inherent risk to abusive practices being taken as a result of such, those are not guarantees, nor should they be used necessarily to gatekeep companies with those large market shares in making certain purchases or investments, at least not without considering the company's total size and scope, other vested markets etc. compared to rivals in the space they seek to grow. It is rather ridiculous to assert a $100 billion company can exert the same or anywhere near similar types of anticompetitive actions as a $3 trillion corporation, no matter how you look at it, regardless of what market sectors the two are involved in. Lateral power among divisions in each company would guarantee as much.

Also, there are actual reactive penalties that can be placed on companies with such large market shares making M&As that turn out to be anticompetitive, such as hefty fines, investigations and lawsuits that can undo the merger/acquisition altogether. This is always a preferable route to some extent because it accounts for what has actually transpired, not fears over what might transpire before it even occurs.

And yes I know there is some contradiction here considering some of my own concerns addressed with MS and ABK, but I did also just mention that there are exceptions in all cases. Again, the total size and resources of the acquiring entity should be considered, as well as any prior histories of anticompetitive/monopolistic behavior in the same or related market segments. Both of which don't shake out too well for a company like Microsoft, that's in addition to the earlier intentions of their M&A strategy in the leaked emails & internal documents which clearly showed a targeted foreclosure strategy upon Sony/SIE, upon 3P partners who have worked closely with PlayStation past & present (and future), even those whom MS have had no prior working relationships with (Ember Lab, Housemarque, etc.).

Anyway I just felt for a reason to respond in part, maybe spurred by the recent rumors regarding Microsoft's plans for gaming that seem all but confirmed at this point. It's looking quite monumental, all things considered. I think all this stuff with the ABK acquisition is a massive catalyst or maybe should say "accelerant" to this new path.

yurinka

But PC has a lot of demographic cross-over with PS, Xbox, even Nintendo to some extent as well, going by all the 3P pubs who have been putting more and more games on places like Steam over the years. So how does a "high-end" console market exist if devices like PC can't be neatly categorized into a high-end, mid-end, low-end etc. since they can scale across all of them?
We saw a graph a few months ago showing the size of the mobile, pc and console market plus the overlap between them and the overlap between PC and consoles represent a very small part of the console market and the PC market.

Meaning, they are different markets. In the same way that high end home consoles always had a different market than low end portable consoles. But in this case both portable and home consoles have a bigger overlap because they are both consoles and from the same brands.

Not to mention, saying things like "high'end" consoles suggests to me that all the games are also high-end in performance...clearly not the case. There are many games on PlayStation & Xbox that could run perfectly fine on a Switch.
Yes, indie games can run on Switch, and some AA games making some sacrifices with performance and visual quality too. High end AAA games can't.

High end means that the powerful home consoles have run than the less powerful portables can't run, as always happened. The low end games that don't require horsepower obviously can be in the high end consoles too.

No, that's not the only thing when it comes to defining a monopoly. The means in which that majority market share has been achieved is also important. Competing products where one is a clear winner getting the market share, is a result (usually) of fair competition that regulators WANT to see happen. They are perfectly fine with monopolies that naturally come as a result of fair competition.

While there is an inherent risk to abusive practices being taken as a result of such, those are not guarantees, nor should they be used necessarily to gatekeep companies with those large market shares in making certain purchases or investments, at least not without considering the company's total size and scope, other vested markets etc. compared to rivals in the space they seek to grow. It is rather ridiculous to assert a $100 billion company can exert the same or anywhere near similar types of anticompetitive actions as a $3 trillion corporation, no matter how you look at it, regardless of what market sectors the two are involved in. Lateral power among divisions in each company would guarantee as much.

Also, there are actual reactive penalties that can be placed on companies with such large market shares making M&As that turn out to be anticompetitive, such as hefty fines, investigations and lawsuits that can undo the merger/acquisition altogether. This is always a preferable route to some extent because it accounts for what has actually transpired, not fears over what might transpire before it even occurs.

And yes I know there is some contradiction here considering some of my own concerns addressed with MS and ABK, but I did also just mention that there are exceptions in all cases. Again, the total size and resources of the acquiring entity should be considered, as well as any prior histories of anticompetitive/monopolistic behavior in the same or related market segments. Both of which don't shake out too well for a company like Microsoft, that's in addition to the earlier intentions of their M&A strategy in the leaked emails & internal documents which clearly showed a targeted foreclosure strategy upon Sony/SIE, upon 3P partners who have worked closely with PlayStation past & present (and future), even those whom MS have had no prior working relationships with (Ember Lab, Housemarque, etc.).

Anyway I just felt for a reason to respond in part, maybe spurred by the recent rumors regarding Microsoft's plans for gaming that seem all but confirmed at this point. It's looking quite monumental, all things considered. I think all this stuff with the ABK acquisition is a massive catalyst or maybe should say "accelerant" to this new path.
If MS leaves the console hardware market and keeps PS as the only home console and Switch as the only portable console market regulators won't do anything, because it has been result of the market.

What market regulators stop are the monopolistic/anticompetitive actions, those who someone who has a big enough market power (huge market share) to get or keep the totality -or almost- of a market using unfair actions that avoid others to compete against them.

Other than that, they don't care about M&As or the revenue made by companies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom