• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Sells 50 Million Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejin

Another win for Playstation. Congratz.

v7a46xy3aaaa.jpg

Tsaki

This is 50 million sold to consumers. Was the 25mn for the FY23 sold-through or shipped?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

This is 50 million sold to consumers. Was the 25mn for the FY23 sold-through or shipped?
Shipped.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
30 millions in December 2022. 40 millions in July. 50 millions in December 2023. 60 millions for when? Great success. I hope that the next E3 will be good. With a PS5 Pro expected, a price cut could happen. So no reason for the sales to slow down unless the Switch 2 is really good.
Did you know that E3 is officially dead?

Mowcno

Best ever November for a PlayStation console. Amazing stuff. Still looks like they'll probably hit about 23-23.5m shipments this year rather than 25m, but that would still be the highest ever for a PlayStation console so an amazing result. PS5 will be ahead of PS4 by the end of December.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What it also means is the PS5 is about to jump ahead of the PS4 and should remain there.

Consider this is with a pandemic and the PS5 is a monster!

And high inflation! The darn console still cost $499 at retail!!!!!!! By this time the PS4 was $300.

If a PS5 Pro comes, it won't decline in 2025

You mean "when".

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
3:1 ratio between playstation and xbox.

Stay in bed phil and call in sick.

Yeah, but Xbox is basically at 25 million units sold so I'm not sure that's how maths works?

Still, this is an incredible achievement and it's about to overtake the PS4...which is CRAZY!

Last edited:

mckmas8808

3:1 ratio between playstation and xbox.

Stay in bed phil and call in sick.

Yep! Another way of saying that is the PS5 is at 75% and Xbox Series Consoles are at 25% of all HP consoles sold.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Yeah, but Xbox is basically at 25 million units sold so I'm not sure that's how maths works?

Still, this is an incredible achievement and it's about to overtake the PS4...which is CRAZY!

He's talking about sales for 2023 only.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
PS5 can sell 300 million units and become the best selling system of all time for all I care. That still doesn’t change the fact that its easily the worst Playstation console of my lifetime. PS3 was a state-of-the-art multimedia device that slowly but surely built a library distinct from the 360, with a much lower hardware failure rate, backwards compatability, and free online multiplayer to boot. PS4 was essentially a $400 medium-settings pc with access to pretty much any third party game you can think of. It wasn’t spectacular, but offered lower & middle class folks a reliable little system as evidenced by the lifetime sales. Plus dat Bloodborne.

PS5 has nothing going for it outside faster load times and PS4 BC. Like I’m supposed to be excited for Nu-God of War, Horizon, and Marvel shit? :messenger_poop: 99% of everything interesting coming out for PS5 is on PS4 (lol) and/or PC. Fuck videogames.

Imtjnotu

PS5 can sell 300 million units and become the best selling system of all time for all I care. That still doesn’t change the fact that its easily the worst Playstation console of my lifetime. PS3 was a state-of-the-art multimedia device that slowly but surely built a library distinct from the 360, with a much lower hardware failure rate, backwards compatability, and free online multiplayer to boot. PS4 was essentially a $400 medium-settings pc with access to pretty much any third party game you can think of. It wasn’t spectacular, but offered lower & middle class folks a reliable little system as evidenced by the lifetime sales. Plus dat Bloodborne.

PS5 has nothing going for it outside faster load times and PS4 BC. Like I’m supposed to be excited for Nu-God of War, Horizon, and Marvel shit? :messenger_poop: 99% of everything interesting coming out for PS5 is on PS4 (lol) and/or PC. Fuck videogames.
Good For You Congratulations GIF by Jeopardy!

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

PS2 was a golden age. PS3 got hype but many games were better on the 360 than on it. PS4 was good, but no PS2 levels of great games each year. I think that Sony will manage to have some great game on the PS5 in the next few years, and that will be enough for me. I prefer be happy to still have a Ratchet & Clank to wait for than be sad that my youth will never be back. With Sony putting games on PC faster and faster, by next gen I think that some of us will abandon the platform if the latest rumors are true. Spiderman 2 on PC that fast? Sad to see.

Spitfire098

Its all going to be okay, here's something to cheer you up...
avatars-000324356965-6cpdof-t500x500.jpg

Loving the fanfic.

gow3isben

No quality first party exclusive for 2024 though if there was then 2024 would be another banger

All because of the failed push towards Live Service.

Last edited:

magnumpy

the "big 3" have become the "big 2" D:

I shouldn't be shocked, considering the state of the overall economy... and Switch needs to launch its successor before too long...

DarthPutin

Pretty wild they had such a successful year with only 1 first party game. Good for them 👍
They are default AAA console, certainly in Europe and Asia. So anytime big game like Hogwarts is coming out, it's another reason for people to buy PlayStation. Normal people don't really care that some other people with other hardware can also play it.

Next guaranteed console seller is GTA6.

TheTony316

I bet It would be at 70 million without supply issues. The fact that the PS5 is only one week behind the PS4 is crazy.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
They are default AAA console, certainly in Europe and Asia. So anytime big game like Hogwarts is coming out, it's another reason for people to buy PlayStation. Normal people don't really care that some other people with other hardware can also play it.

Next guaranteed console seller is GTA6.
This here. We are at PS2 status, folks. Most 3rd party games will sell far, far more on PS5 making said game virtually exclusive.

Withnail

F2clGCwXcAA3YtJ

Mooreberg

Pretty damn impressive. I can easily see it gradually topping PS4 as the second best selling PlayStation ever. And with the manner in which so many games are continuous revenue generators, it seems like this will be their most profitable generation by a comfortable margin.

mckmas8808

He's talking about sales for 2023 only.

How does he still have a job?

No quality first party exclusive for 2024 though if there was then 2024 would be another banger

All because of the failed push towards Live Service.

So what about the exclusive 2nd and 3rd party games coming out? Like......

- TLOU2 Remake (January 2024)
- Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth (February 2024)
- Helldivers 2: (February 2024)
- Rise of the Ronin: (March 2024)

Not to mention we have

- God of War: Valhalla DLC (December 2023)
- Resident Evil 4 Remake VR (December 2023)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom