• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Sells 50 Million Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
PS5 is unique, yes Sony doesn’t support it with backwards compatibility but their day 1 vision is just deliver games.
thinking-hyuke.gif
I

Del_X

Incredible! Glad Jim Ryan is leaving because there is no way a company with this massive user base should barely be squeaking out profit.

TheTony316

PS5 can sell 300 million units and become the best selling system of all time for all I care. That still doesn’t change the fact that its easily the worst Playstation console of my lifetime. PS3 was a state-of-the-art multimedia device that slowly but surely built a library distinct from the 360, with a much lower hardware failure rate, backwards compatability, and free online multiplayer to boot. PS4 was essentially a $400 medium-settings pc with access to pretty much any third party game you can think of. It wasn’t spectacular, but offered lower & middle class folks a reliable little system as evidenced by the lifetime sales. Plus dat Bloodborne.

PS5 has nothing going for it outside faster load times and PS4 BC. Like I’m supposed to be excited for Nu-God of War, Horizon, and Marvel shit? :messenger_poop: 99% of everything interesting coming out for PS5 is on PS4 (lol) and/or PC. Fuck videogames.

The PS5 YTD shits all over the PS3 and PS4 in terms of exclusives. The PS3 didn't have anything worthwhile at this point in its life outside of UC2 and MGS4. The PS4 was so bad, that even Donny D Box owners made fun of it.

The only PS console with a better launch was the PS2.

Last edited:

Elios83

Jim is leaving as a king.
Sales should continue to be super strong early next year with all the great games being released.
The launch of the PS5 PRO, possible price cuts on current models, the GTAVI launch and other big exclusives are all ingredients suggesting the train ain't stopping anytime soon.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Looks to have sold about the same as Switch and Xbox Series combined!

Either this year or next year will be the peak. It will be declining in 2025.
Not necessarily if the Pro is a big hit.

2025 will also have a lot of good software. Games like GTA 6, Ghost of Tsushima 2, ND's next game, SSM's next Cory game, Astrobot, might all drop in or around 2025.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Sony continues to impress with the high end console market dominance. People want a Playstation.

On another note, I will never understand the mindset of the many people who seem ecstatic at the lack of relative success from the Xbox brand. Healthy competition ensures continued investment in the hobby that we all have come to love. One may not be a fan of MS strategic maneuvers, but these same moves ensure Sony will heavily invest in the blockbuster titles that many Sony fans clamor for.

gow3isben

He's talking about sales for 2023 only.

How does he still have a job?

So what about the exclusive 2nd and 3rd party games coming out? Like......

- TLOU2 Remake (January 2024)
- Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth (February 2024)
- Helldivers 2: (February 2024)
- Rise of the Ronin: (March 2024)

Not to mention we have

- God of War: Valhalla DLC (December 2023)
- Resident Evil 4 Remake VR (December 2023)

Helldivers 2 is not going to be quality. And TLOU2 remaster is a nothingburger that no one will buy either.

Ronin and FF are not first party but hopefully move units.

Last edited:

Stooky

PS5 can sell 300 million units and become the best selling system of all time for all I care. That still doesn’t change the fact that its easily the worst Playstation console of my lifetime. PS3 was a state-of-the-art multimedia device that slowly but surely built a library distinct from the 360, with a much lower hardware failure rate, backwards compatability, and free online multiplayer to boot. PS4 was essentially a $400 medium-settings pc with access to pretty much any third party game you can think of. It wasn’t spectacular, but offered lower & middle class folks a reliable little system as evidenced by the lifetime sales. Plus dat Bloodborne.

PS5 has nothing going for it outside faster load times and PS4 BC. Like I’m supposed to be excited for Nu-God of War, Horizon, and Marvel shit? :messenger_poop: 99% of everything interesting coming out for PS5 is on PS4 (lol) and/or PC. Fuck videogames.
Working Comedy Central GIF by Drunk History

Sony continues to impress with the high end console market dominance. People want a Playstation.

On another note, I will never understand the mindset of the many people who seem ecstatic at the lack of relative success from the Xbox brand. Healthy competition ensures continued investment in the hobby that we all have come to love. One may not be a fan of MS strategic maneuvers, but these same moves ensure Sony will heavily invest in the blockbuster titles that many Sony fans clamor for.
Cope Fresh Air GIF by shremps

Gaming would've been better off without Xbox.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I dont know...one could argue with MS gobbling up ABK, that may have pushed Sony towards GaaS more or faster than expected.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Awww, poor you.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I dont know...one could argue with MS goggling up ABK, that may have pushed Sony towards GaaS more or faster than expected.
We could just as easily say that the deal going through was the catalyst for Sony's recent decision to back off of their push toward GaaS. We could speculate about all kinds of things, but I think we can say with confidence that Sony invests more today due to their competitions deep pockets.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Helldivers 2 is not going to be quality. And TLOU2 remaster is a nothingburger that no one will buy either.

Ronin and FF are not first party but hopefully move units.

No way to know if Helldivers2 will be bad, until it comes out. But saying the TLOU2 Remaster will be a nothing burger is weird. It legit might outsell High Fi Rush. And consoles aren't just about 1st party games, but what's exclusive.

Woopah

Not necessarily if the Pro is a big hit.

2025 will also have a lot of good software. Games like GTA 6, Ghost of Tsushima 2, ND's next game, SSM's next Cory game, Astrobot, might all drop in or around 2025.
Potentially yes. But PS4 and Switch got a lot of strong software in the 2nd half of their lives too and they didn't peak the.

It would be like if PS4 peaked in 2018, was a year with great software for it.

Last edited:
I bet It would be at 70 million without supply issues. The fact that the PS5 is only one week behind the PS4 is crazy.

No, I don't think that is accurate. I think what is more likely is that the top end of the PS5 has been chopped off.

Based on demand and Xbox sales, I think it would be closer to 60 million units.

Right now there is a 50 to 25 million split. It probably would have been closer to 60 to 15 million (maybe even 55 to 20 million), but 70 to 5 million isn't realistic, and if it were the PS5 would still be selling out now and it isn't.

At the end of the day the PS5 will probably be shy 10 million of what it could have sold had there been no supply chain issue, but the pandemic also drove demand so it is a bit of a double edge sword there.

The PS4 sold 117 million units, the PS5 is potentially on a trajectory to hit 125-130 million and maybe it could have topped off at 130-140 million without the supply chain issues, which would have been a feat. Will largely depend on how aggressive Sony gets with pricing of the PS5, the demand for the Switch 2, and the release date of next gen.

DJ12

Sony says that PS5 crossed the milestone just 1 week slower than the PS4

Apologies for the subscription needed.

Capture_decran_2023-12-20_a_14.20.16.png

Capture_decran_2023-12-20_a_14.21.29.png
PS5 is a monster.

MS need to move out of Sonys market like Nintendo did, no shame in seeing a problem and making a shift.

If I could buy a gaming Windows box that was subbed by ms, I'd probably buy it rather than a new gpu.

Have a workstation for emulation, have the xbox pc for games.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

With the way things are trending, if they can line up the pro and gta windows, it's going to be a bump that looks more like mt everest. Rockstar taking advantage by witholding the pc version is a huge gift to sony.

Check this out....

- FY 2023 will be Sony's best in Playstation history.
- FY 2024 will be the release of the PS5 PRO and a good price cut of the PS5 (more than likely)
- FY 2025 will be the release of GTA6 with the PS5 Pro on shelves.

No way Sony should sell less than 22 million PS5s per year in those three fiscal years. Those three years alone should be close to or around 70 million unit sales. Basically peak PS2 sales numbers for three straight years.

mckmas8808

No, I don't think that is accurate. I think what is more likely is that the top end of the PS5 has been chopped off.

Right now there is a 50 to 25 million split. It probably would have been closer to 60 to 15 million (maybe even 55 to 20 million), but 70 to 5 million isn't realistic, and if it were the PS5 would still be selling out now and it isn't.

At the end of the day the PS5 will probably be shy 10 million of what it could have sold had there been no supply chain issue, but the pandemic also drove demand so it is a bit of a double edge sword there.

The PS4 sold 117 million units, the PS5 is potentially on a trajectory to hit 125-130 million and maybe it could have topped off at 130-140 million without the supply chain issues, which would have been a feat. Will largely depend on how aggressive Sony gets with pricing of the PS5, the demand for the Switch 2, and the release date of next gen.

The PS5 doing 130 million should be the base forecasted number. Up to 140 million is possible, if Sony isn't stupid.

Crayon

Check this out....

- FY 2023 will be Sony's best in Playstation history.
- FY 2024 will be the release of the PS5 PRO and a good price cut of the PS5 (more than likely)
- FY 2025 will be the release of GTA6 with the PS5 Pro on shelves.

No way Sony should sell less than 22 million PS5s per year in those three fiscal years. Those three years alone should be close to or around 70 million unit sales. Basically peak PS2 sales numbers for three straight years.

Not so sure aboutr the good price cut part! PS5 coule stay the same and the pro could launch for $600. I hope it doesn't go that way.

mckmas8808

Not so sure aboutr the good price cut part! PS5 coule stay the same and the pro could launch for $600. I hope it doesn't go that way.

I "think" it'll be both. Sony will cut the official price of the PS5 disc version to $399 next holiday season and the PS5 DE to $350. And the PS5 Pro will sell for $600 (just because they know they can UGH). With GTA 6 launching within 3-6 months later, they just know millions will pay $600 for a PS5 Pro.

Or imagine if it's bundled with the PS5 Pro for $600 but the base price is $550. But they only release 10% of the base non-bundled PS5 Pros to market.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

Everything you said is spot on which is why people can't really respond other than with memes

The playstation we grew up with and loved is completely dead

I have 3DO, Apple Pippin, Atari Jaguar levels of interest in the PS5

I noticed the main PS5 haters are hardcore PSX/PS3 fans because almost everything that was so great about those systems is nowhere to be found with the PS5

I want a next gen PS3 so damn bad PS5 doesn't even have a port of the new Time Crisis or Gundam Verses games

Sony just doesn't care about its roots at all anymore and its a shame

Last edited:
PS5 is a monster.

MS need to move out of Sonys market like Nintendo did, no shame in seeing a problem and making a shift.

If I could buy a gaming Windows box that was subbed by ms, I'd probably buy it rather than a new gpu.

The fire sale going on with Xbox right now suggests that they might be shifting strategy. Discounting to 400 is one thing... but 330 and 350? That's aggressive beyond the pale.
The PS5 doing 130 million should be the base forecasted number. Up to 140 million is possible, if Sony isn't stupid.

140 is possible but extremely difficult, especially with the contraction of the Japanese console market and the lack of AAA Japanese centric games.

140 would require basically all cards to be played perfectly. I honestly don't see it happening. It would take the Switch 2 being a failure, serious price cuts for base and digital ps5, ps5 pro launching at 500 and being double the power of the base model, and maybe even the XBS being discontinued or entirely uneffective very early.

To put things into frame:

The PS4 sold 117 million units and the X1 sold 58 million units. It's difficult to gauge the impact the Switch had on either of their sales, but let's throw in the Wii U's sales as a bit of buffer for the generation. That's an extra 14 million units. With some growth, you could see the market being 200 million units for the generation.

For Sony to get to 140, it means that the Switch 2 can't eat into PS5 demand AT ALL and the Xbox has to drop from 60 million to 40 million and more realistically probably 35 million as some of these will go to PC instead of PS5.

XBS is already at 25 million.

Now if the Switch 2 is a complete failure, the PS5 Pro is a smash hit, Sony releases some kid friendly PS5 games, the PS5 drops in price tremendously at or before the Switch 2 release, maybe the PS5 can eat into some of that Switch gaming market, which would help it climb to those numbers.

That they don't have any heavy hitters scheduled for 2024 is a big concern, but GTA6 could have a huge impact on PS5's trajectory as well, particularly with the Pro model if they get things right with it.

Crayon

I "think" it'll be both. Sony will cut the official price of the PS5 disc version to $399 next holiday season and the PS5 DE to $350. And the PS5 Pro will sell for $600 (just because they know they can UGH). With GTA 6 launching within 3-6 months later, they just know millions will pay $600 for a PS5 Pro.

Or imagine if it's bundled with the PS5 Pro for $600 but the base price is $550. But they only release 10% of the base non-bundled PS5 Pros to market.

oh.... I think you may have it there. If they get pro bundles with gta that might be the only one you can find.

PS5 is a monster.

The fire sale going on with Xbox right now suggests that they might be shifting strategy. Discounting to 400 is one thing... but 330 and 350? That's aggressive beyond the pale.

Astray

Gold Member
It's eerily reminiscent of the Zune HD discounts that happened right before MS started shuttering the business.

I did a little experiment here, the price cut depth kinda matches in both cases.

Liamario

Banned
MS needs to bow out at this stage. They're not going to turn this around.
I would like Apple to enter the home console market and really get some competition going again.

It's eerily reminiscent of the Zune HD discounts that happened right before MS started shuttering the business.

I did a little experiment here, the price cut depth kinda matches in both cases.

High quality posters like you are the reason I come to neogaf.

I think what might be happening is that Microsoft discounted the price of the XSX to 400 dollars, but retailers don't want to be left holding the bag on inventory and have further discounted it, with Walmart going a step further maybe because they have more inventory.

It'll be interesting to say the least because you can expect that if the discount period ends, XSX sales are going to dry up. Anyone who didn't buy one for 340 at Walmart for the holidays, clearly doesn't want one for 500 in April 2024.

Will retailers take additional shipments of XSX if they're taking a loss trying to get rid of inventory now?

Or like you said is this Microsoft's pattern of getting rid of inventory before discontinuation? I don't think we got a clear answer from the video game awards of what their strategy is and the fact that Blade wasn't announced or confirmed as exclusive puts a lot of things into question. Pretty sure all of the 3rd party stuff they showed was multiplatform, except for maybe OD and that could just be the phasing out of older arrangements.

The next 12 months will be VERY interesting for the industry.

Thirty7ven

Banned

It also depends on the output from the second half of the gen. GTAVI is going to sell a whole lot of PS5s for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom