• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Sells 50 Million Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
jCxsHEY.jpg

That's really great to hear, Phil.

You can tell that Nadella doesn't respect Phil and that Phil is actually afraid of him.

I wonder how long Nadella let's him keep his job to be honest. The dude has been trying to fake it til you make it for almost a decade now.

That just doesn't work when your competitor isn't making big mistakes.

Ultimately, Phil regrets buying Zenimax, he just definitely does. And he'll probably soon come to regret buying ABK.

All it takes is a little bit of real CoD competition to chip away at that game's market share.

jm89

You can tell that Nadella doesn't respect Phil and that Phil is actually afraid of him.

I wonder how long Nadella let's him keep his job to be honest. The dude has been trying to fake it til you make it for almost a decade now.

Ultimately, Phil regrets buying Zenimax, he just definitely does. And he'll probably soon come to regret buying ABK.

All it takes is a little bit of real CoD competition to chip away at that game's market share.
The dilemna they will face is who do they replace him with?

Bond and Booty you'd think might be in line.

But both are as useless as him.

Jim Ryans on the market, that could be fun.

Last edited:

Del_X

how do you make more profit?
Don’t pay huge royalties to Marvel. Sony pushes TLOU because they own the IP, so make more IP that you own and has legs.

Shorten the PS exclusivity timeline before coming to PC. 3-6 months would be fine and they’d sell a hell of a lot more copies at full price. Making people wait two years and expecting full price just isn’t going to work.

Maybe if they do GaaS they need to make these franchise day-and-date multiplatform (at least with PC) to ensure sufficient playerbase.

They can continue milking PlayStation Plus Paypigs.

demigod

PS5 can sell 300 million units and become the best selling system of all time for all I care. That still doesn’t change the fact that its easily the worst Playstation console of my lifetime. PS3 was a state-of-the-art multimedia device that slowly but surely built a library distinct from the 360, with a much lower hardware failure rate, backwards compatability, and free online multiplayer to boot. PS4 was essentially a $400 medium-settings pc with access to pretty much any third party game you can think of. It wasn’t spectacular, but offered lower & middle class folks a reliable little system as evidenced by the lifetime sales. Plus dat Bloodborne.

PS5 has nothing going for it outside faster load times and PS4 BC. Like I’m supposed to be excited for Nu-God of War, Horizon, and Marvel shit? :messenger_poop: 99% of everything interesting coming out for PS5 is on PS4 (lol) and/or PC. Fuck videogames.
The ssd is a gamechanger compared to hdd.

People have been saying a game will knock cod off forever.

They haven't been saying that for 12 years and I don't know if they've ever really said that.

Since Modern Warfare there really hasn't been much close competition.

The closest thing there has been was Battlefield, but it's been on a faster decline than COD.

Before Battlefield there was Medal of Honor, which never really transitioned well to modern military FPS.

So please tell me where all these high profile failed attempts have come from.

havoc00

They haven't been saying that for 12 years and I don't know if they've ever really said that.

The closest thing there has been was Battlefield, but it's been on a faster decline than COD.

Before Battlefield there was Medal of Honor, which never really transitioned well to modern military FPS.

I’m saying around the golden era of cod everyone was saying a cod killer is on the way etc…. None really came to fruition. Sony tried with killzone jimbo even admitted that. Bf, Medal of Honor war fighter, recently splitgate, crossfire, warface, xdefiant.

During the golden era it seemed like every game was tacking a mp mode on. AC, even far cry 3 had a tdm mode.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Call of Duty was the game that nobody thought would knock Medal of Honor off of the top.

gow3isben

No way to know if Helldivers2 will be bad, until it comes out. But saying the TLOU2 Remaster will be a nothing burger is weird. It legit might outsell High Fi Rush. And consoles aren't just about 1st party games, but what's exclusive.

It is a remaster of a relatively modern game man temper your expectations.

Helldivers is GAAS odds are ain’t gonna be good but we will see. Trailers look meh too.

Call of Duty was the game that nobody thought would knock Medal of Honor off of the top.

Medal of Honor was never on the top in the same way Call of Duty is now.

At the time it was top among military FPS which were almost all centered around WW2. But games like Goldeneye, Halo, Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament, Doom, Quake, were all pretty popular and for MP the scifi FPS were more popular at the time.

I’m saying around the golden era of cod everyone was saying a cod killer is on the way etc…. None really came to fruition. Sony tried with killzone jimbo even admitted that. Bf, Medal of Honor war fighter, recently splitgate, crossfire, warface, xdefiant.

During the golden era it seemed like every game was tacking a mp mode on. AC, even far cry 3 had a tdm mode.

This is hilarious.

Killzone was more an attempt to compete with Halo as a single player campaign. It had minimal MP. It was never going to compete with CoD.

Medal of Honor has had I think 1 modern revision. BF is really the only game.

None of the other games you listed are highly funded to take on CoD. xdefiant isn't even out.

Tacking a MP mode isn't the same as going toe to toe with CoD.

Look at Gran Turismo. The only serious competitor to Gran Turismo has been Forza. Even Assetto Corsa isn't a serious competitor. And with that said, Forza hasn't come close to GT, even releasing on PC.

There's a lot of things that make CoD very successful and that limits general churn, but that doesn't mean every CoD game is as successful as the rest of them. Even if a serious competitor takes 10-20% market share, it would be significant enough to destroy the valuation Microsoft has for CoD. For that to happen a game needs to release on Mobile, PC, and Console, has to be high budget, and probably can't be scifi in nature.

demigod

You got your revisions wrong. Killzone was supposed to kill Halo but Halo killed itself.

Medal of Honor preceded Call of Duty. Guess which game Infinity Ward made before CoD? Medal of Honor.

havoc00

You got your revisions wrong. Killzone was supposed to kill Halo but Halo killed itself.

Medal of Honor preceded Call of Duty. Guess which game Infinity Ward made before CoD? Medal of Honor.
Wasnt resistance the halo killer? and yea moh came out in like what 97? The last game though was a direct cod competitor

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

They aren't doing anything really mind blowing with Zenimax. They have all this money, but without a cohesive vision to put it to use, they're going to keep cranking out Games of the Forever, like Redfall. LOL. That and they're balls deep into DEI behaviors.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
High quality posters like you are the reason I come to neogaf.
Thank you very much for the compliment, you're a poster whose perspective I consider quite valuable as well.
I think what might be happening is that Microsoft discounted the price of the XSX to 400 dollars, but retailers don't want to be left holding the bag on inventory and have further discounted it, with Walmart going a step further maybe because they have more inventory.

It'll be interesting to say the least because you can expect that if the discount period ends, XSX sales are going to dry up. Anyone who didn't buy one for 340 at Walmart for the holidays, clearly doesn't want one for 500 in April 2024.

Will retailers take additional shipments of XSX if they're taking a loss trying to get rid of inventory now?

Or like you said is this Microsoft's pattern of getting rid of inventory before discontinuation? I don't think we got a clear answer from the video game awards of what their strategy is and the fact that Blade wasn't announced or confirmed as exclusive puts a lot of things into question. Pretty sure all of the 3rd party stuff they showed was multiplatform, except for maybe OD and that could just be the phasing out of older arrangements.

The next 12 months will be VERY interesting for the industry.
I think it's either Microsoft itself liquidating all of its stock on the market, or things have gotten so bad that retailers are demanding heavy price cuts to reduce their inventory or they'd just send back the majority of it.

The issue now is, how do you proceed post-Holiday sales? Do you just jack the price up to 500 again? That would just create a further incentive to not buy the machines unless a similar cut happens again.

This part is more anecdotal, but the astounding lack of Xbox shelfspace in the big markets is an absolute indication that whatever their strategy is, it's not really working.

As a side note, I think their failure this generation is far more interesting to discuss than last gen because it's just so multi-faceted, whereas for last gen, everyone can just point to the infamous Don Mattrick video and call it a day.

But here there's a lot to debate: Was Gamepass a net positive or a net negative? Was the mass purchasing of publishers and studios a net positive, or did it just accelerate the need for the division to start actually earning money? Was the ecosystem a good idea overall or partially or not at all?

Wow it is so surprisingly refreshing to hear normal people talk about games.
It's simply astounding how bad the Xbox image is amongst normies in general. I have never ever seen any normie ask me if Xbox is worth buying, anyone talking about Xbox is either neck-deep in the "community" or just isn't talking about it at all.

It doesn't help that Xbox's messaging is almost exclusively tailored to please idiots like Colt Eastwood or Timdog.

Felessan

On another note, I will never understand the mindset of the many people who seem ecstatic at the lack of relative success from the Xbox brand. Healthy competition ensures continued investment in the hobby that we all have come to love. One may not be a fan of MS strategic maneuvers, but these same moves ensure Sony will heavily invest in the blockbuster titles that many Sony fans clamor for.
The problem is that "outbuy competitor to force it out of business" is anything but healthy. Healthy competition is about presenting better products. Not to use money from one area of dominance to establish another area of dominance with irrelevancy to whether your product better or not.

I dont know...one could argue with MS gobbling up ABK, that may have pushed Sony towards GaaS more or faster than expected.
Plan was way before ABK deal. It was with the rise of high-profile GaaS that start accumulation of massive playerbase and went multiplatfarm (Fortnite, Genshin etc). Around 20-21 it became a huge tide (and it was obvious that it will became even bigger in the future) so Sony had to react on both 1st party and 3rd party level and adapt to not miss the trend.

Shorten the PS exclusivity timeline before coming to PC. 3-6 months would be fine and they’d sell a hell of a lot more copies at full price. Making people wait two years and expecting full price just isn’t going to work.
It works just fine for their purpose - grab some free cash of backcatalog holders and PC-only enthusiasts. It's not to please PC crowd or make PC a core part of their ecosystem. On PC Sony don't own royalty, cut from sales and their games doesn't really made purely "for profit" like CoD or AC or FIFA, they are costly and return is limited. These games made to shown quality and excellence of platform to urge customers buy PS where Sony grabs all benefits of closed ecosystem on secondary purchases (same CoD, AC, FIFA etc multiplatform for-profit games)
Personally I think that going with 3-6 months will only hurt them financially if all opportunities included.
There is a lifecycle of PS game - first it sold at full price, then it goes for some sales, then it permanently drops price and goes to sales at even lower price, then revenue touch the bottom and game used as incentive to buy PS+ and ported to PC (usually around 2 years time point). Games ported to PC when most opportunities to make money on PS is spent and game used as quick cash grab and marketing tool to penetrate into PC space. For these purposes PS games doing just fine on PC.

Astray

Gold Member
Well that finally started to backfire and I have a feeling it would be a whole lot harder to undo than it was to do. I wouldn't mind them trying, though.
I think this idea has not really been examined thoroughly enough.

Like, what would an Xbox marketing campaign that's targeted at normies look like?

Soltype

Everything you said is spot on which is why people can't really respond other than with memes

The playstation we grew up with and loved is completely dead

I have 3DO, Apple Pippin, Atari Jaguar levels of interest in the PS5

I noticed the main PS5 haters are hardcore PSX/PS3 fans because almost everything that was so great about those systems is nowhere to be found with the PS5

I want a next gen PS3 so damn bad PS5 doesn't even have a port of the new Time Crisis or Gundam Verses games

Sony just doesn't care about its roots at all anymore and its a shame
I'm in a similar boat, been getting indifferent to their games since the PS3. Personally, neither system's output is blowing my skirt up, this gen honestly feels like a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom